MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Min Chun

2006- Turning year of MAS?

Pieter, there you got me lah, the max allowance is 20kg.. but that's the case with all airlines i've flown wink.gif realistically they allow 25-30 kg.. this morning i was a little hot-headed with my comments lah.. maybe I not that angry lah.. I will fly MH of course lah smile.gif but if i'm overweight which I always am, now I will be scared smile.gif

Why be scared ? You're informed in the ticket already...

AF-KL is using a STRICKT 20KG for Economy-class passengers already since 01jan05, so, in a way, you're lucky with MH to weather this out so long....also, at KLM first almost EVERYBODY complained, but now, it's an accepted fact and you won't hear complaints anymore, even to Nigeria or other African countries...

Even on the Transatlantic routes, the piece concept was maintained but the "unlimited" weight has been reduced as well, or pay the hefty 1% of First-Class fare per KG...

It's a good money-generator for the airlines, so from MH's point of view, it's very understandable wink.gif

Yes support to Peter C. as this is one of the area that Mas start making money. 20Kg is 20kg no add on. Come on guys support mas by let them charge where is suppose to charge. Then we will see mas fly again in it pride with profit on their hand. BTW not only weight, late arrive also need to be panalty.

As a Malaysian we always say never mind. Example, late, regulation, appointment and so on. All those days Mas already spoon feed us alot by mention nevermind to many thing. So this time around they need support, so why not we support them.

BTW not only weight, late arrive also need to be panalty.

KLM has introduced a "late at gate: refusal" principle last Summer on selected routes, to "enhance on time departures and, therefore, also safeguard connections"; as you know, transit-traffic is VERY important for KLM, as the home-market is very small...it's such a success, that it's now used for ALL European departures, so, you'd better be at the gate 30 minutes AT THE LATEST, when you fly KLM, as boarding starts 25 minutes before published take-off, and they WON'T wait for you anymore and will OFFLOAD your luggage when not there in time ohmy.gif

self-responsability for the passengers...but, publish it to the them, so they know...

ontime means less rebooking, less costs, less "head-ache" for staff and more relaxed boarding and travelling, less "lost" luggage because of short connections (= less claims)...

something for MAS to think about ?

Is that so Pieter? OK! I didn't know that about AF/KLM... let's hope it all works out for them. smile.gif

Yesterday was a bit of a shock to me because when we weighed his bag, it was only 15kgs on our scales... so how it jumped to 24kg I do not know.. his golf back was DEFINATELY NOT 9 kg as it was empty, just a new case and bag! No clubs!

if 20kg max allowance, shouldn't be a problem for me lah.. just have to carry less books back to Perth smile.gif I got all my textbooks here for my project and they weigh around 20 kg themselves smile.gif ehehehehe

KLM has introduced a "late at gate: refusal" principle last Summer on selected routes, to "enhance on time departures and, therefore, also safeguard connections"; as you know, transit-traffic is VERY important for KLM, as the home-market is very small...it's such a success, that it's now used for ALL European departures, so, you'd better be at the gate 30 minutes AT THE LATEST, when you fly KLM, as boarding starts 25 minutes before published take-off, and they WON'T wait for you anymore and will OFFLOAD your luggage when not there in time  ohmy.gif

self-responsability for the passengers...but, publish it to the them, so they know...

ontime means less rebooking, less costs, less "head-ache" for staff and more relaxed boarding and travelling, less "lost" luggage because of short connections (= less claims)...

something for MAS to think about ?

23071[/snapback]

30 mins at the latest?

I used to think SQ was evil for refusing pax who're not there 10 mins b4 departure, and the ridiculous kiasuism at Changi Airport where they put up the final call sign an hour b4 actual departure time. :S

yeah well..... i would not fly via sin.... use KLIA instead and fly direct. plenty of cheap fares from here if u dont like MH. i have been on various airlines incl EK,SQ,QF... MH is by far the best. AFAIK all other airlines have 20kg limits for Y...and its up to the ladies/gentlemen at the counter to decide whether or not to charge u excess.. there's always the risk.

and by the way..MH IS 20kg ..read the timetable info...they used to allow students to take in up to 30kg previously (i used to on the LHR route!)...

if they want to charge....too bad. i dont mind reducing my luggage just to experience the service...!

yeah well..... i would not fly via sin.... use KLIA instead and fly direct. plenty of cheap fares from here if u dont like MH. i have been on various airlines incl EK,SQ,QF... MH is by far the best. AFAIK all other airlines have 20kg limits for Y...and its up to the ladies/gentlemen at the counter to decide whether or not to charge u excess.. there's always the risk.

and by the way..MH IS 20kg ..read the timetable info...they used to allow students to take in up to 30kg previously (i  used to on the LHR route!)...

if they want to charge....too bad. i dont mind reducing my luggage just to experience the service...!

23144[/snapback]

The 20kg rule is rarely enforced AFAIK. However most airlines won't carry any single piece of luggage heavier than 32kg due to occupational health and safety regulations for baggage handlers.

The 20kg rule is rarely enforced AFAIK.

It IS enforced by AF/KL, so, be pre-warned ohmy.gif !

Also, stricly ONE piece of cabin-baggage up to 6 kilos mad.gif

It IS enforced by AF/KL, so, be pre-warned  ohmy.gif !

Also, stricly ONE piece of cabin-baggage up to 6 kilos  mad.gif

23193[/snapback]

eh....not too sure Pieter. I have just travelled with AirFrance recently to Zagreb, and my carry on baggage is 11kgs and they still allow me to carry the baggage on board. Maybe I was lucky..... biggrin.gif

As for heavy luggage, I have once checked-in a baggage that weighed 35kg ohmy.gif with AirFrance from Singapore. They just stick a piece of sticker "HEAVY LUGGAGE" or something on it. But luckily I didn't have to pay anything. laugh.gif

eh....not too sure Pieter. I have just travelled with AirFrance recently to Zagreb, and my carry on baggage is 11kgs and they still allow me to carry the baggage on board. Maybe I was lucky.....  biggrin.gif

As for heavy luggage, I have once checked-in a baggage that weighed 35kg  ohmy.gif  with AirFrance from Singapore. They just stick a piece of sticker "HEAVY LUGGAGE" or something on it. But luckily I didn't have to pay anything.  laugh.gif

23200[/snapback]

Lucky you; did they actually weigh the cabin-baggage ?

The hold-baggage 20KG strickt rule was just introduced since 01nov05 (eff. more-or-less with the current Winterschedules)...

Lucky you; did they actually weigh the cabin-baggage ?

The hold-baggage 20KG strickt rule was just introduced since 01nov05 (eff. more-or-less with the current Winterschedules)...

23202[/snapback]

Yeap...they do weigh my cabin-baggage. I guess some of the check in staff are pretty nice if you chat with them a little (in french) of course. And that will do the trick. wink.gif

I think different flights, different policies - when I was a student in UK, MH said 30KG and not a single gram more is allowed. (could it be that a restricted take-off weight was applied?)

From ZRH to KUL - 20kg max but they don't seem to say anything if you have up to 30kg.

SQ -20kg plus 10kg for golf bag. Once I had 32KG and first they insisted that I need to take 12kg off. I told the young lady that I have flown with SQ a few times and golf bags mean 10kg of extra allowance - she replied "if you really fly a lot with SQ than you would have elite status and this would not be a problem!". What a b*tch... then I told her to please check with her manager about the golf bag and when she finally did, she insisted that I take "only" 2kg off. So I took out 2kg of swiss chocolates, checked eveything in and then she said that I need to take my golf bag to the oversize baggage drop off area. On the way there, I put the 2kg of chocolates into the golf bag and no one noticed blink.gif What a lapse of security, and scr*w you, b*tch!

Lately, Swiss has also been very strict with weight... sometimes 2 or 3 kg over is ok, but 5kg is definitely not. With hand luggage... swiss is very strict!

I agree with what KLM is doing -they should really enforce the rule and after a while, people will get used to it. Although I also think that if your luggage is up to 2kg overweight, a gentle reminder will do.. I mean, who has a weighing machine at home to check it precisely anyways?

Btw, if MH gets downgraded to a 4* airline... that means the tickets will get cheaper, right? biggrin.gif

I wonder if airlines still allow passengers with excess baggage to share weight with other pasengers without any bags, or with lightweight check-in bags. I remember the airlines do allow it before....even among strangers.

For example pax A with 35 kgs to check in, while pax B with just 5 kgs. So pax A takes the balance 15 kg quota from pax B, without having to pay for excess baggage.

Another thing, I believe KUL has an excess baggage service by http://www.abda-excessbaggage.com . Although I have no experience using the service, could it be a better solution to having to pay higher rates with the airlines?

Is that so Pieter?  OK! I didn't know that about AF/KLM... let's hope it all works out for them. smile.gif

23103[/snapback]

It does. Both companies are very profitable. SQ is very strict on this also.

30 mins at the latest?

I used to think SQ was evil for refusing pax who're not there 10 mins b4 departure, and the ridiculous kiasuism at Changi Airport where they put up the final call sign an hour b4 actual departure time. :S

23103[/snapback]

CX has been doing the same for years already ! If i'm not mistaken, MH got a similar rule but MAS staffs aren't strict enough. Normally they will wait for you, especially on International flights. Not a good practice, i think. Just came back from Singapore. Still, we gotta admit that tiny country (Singapore) is good.

Normally they will wait for you, especially on International flights. Not a good practice, i think.

KLM will introduce a "7-waves system" in AMS this coming Summer (eff. last sunday of March), up from a 6-waves...this will DEFINITELY mean, NO more waiting for connections, as frequencies will be increased as well to various European cities...if no KL/AF flights available, passengers will be rebooked to other Skyteam flights (i.e. miss KL, you'll be rebooked to OK: see the benefits now of joining an Alliance, MAS ??? biggrin.gif )

As you can see from this as well: on-time performance is the highest priority for AF-KL nowadays !!!

It IS enforced by AF/KL, so, be pre-warned  ohmy.gif !

Also, stricly ONE piece of cabin-baggage up to 6 kilos  mad.gif

23193[/snapback]

Thanks Pieter for reminder. Will travel on KLM from MAN to AMS later this month and on MAS from AMS to KUL. I didn't know they are so strict.

The 20kg rule is rarely enforced AFAIK. However most airlines won't carry any single piece of luggage heavier than 32kg due to occupational health and safety regulations for baggage handlers.

23161[/snapback]

Most UK LCC are very strict in luggage policy. Last time, I travelled on Easyjet from GLA to BFS with 21kg luggage and the check-in lady insisted that I have to pay for the extra 1kg. Otherwise, she won't issue the boarding pass to me blink.gif

A little bird told me last night that MH is in negotiations with oneworld. ST was considered a no no for some reason. Will pass on more info when it comes along...

A little bird told me last night that MH is in negotiations with oneworld. ST was considered a no no for some reason. Will pass on more info when it comes along...

23295[/snapback]

OooOOohhh that's an interesting development??!!! smile.gif

Seeing that MH would fit better in Skyteam... Pieter, I think you would agree there.. but then again, the kangaroo route is lucrative for MAS... but then how ah? QF gonna fly here ah? I dun think so.. BA oso got ah??? Then Singapore how??? This could be a way for MAS and Malaysia to get ahead over SIN... but then ST needs kangaroo route oso.. what would happen to KLM codesharing practices??? AF/KLM is a big grouping and a part of the world where MH is well recognised..

could it also be that the apparent disparity between AF and MAS is finally taking toll?? Actually what is that all about ah? Pieter, can you shed some light on that? AFAIK, Malaysia and France have very good diplomatic relations stemming from various military deals, the AirAsia deal, the MAS A380 investment and frequent diplomatic missions between the two countries.. also, MAS has an outstanding relationship with Schipol and KLM.. so what is really going on??

Could it be that MAS is still beating around the bush? huh.gif

OooOOohhh that's an interesting development??!!! smile.gif

Seeing that MH would fit better in Skyteam... Pieter, I think you would agree there.. but then again, the kangaroo route is lucrative for MAS... but then how ah? QF gonna fly here ah? I dun think so.. BA oso got ah??? Then Singapore how??? This could be a way for MAS and Malaysia to get ahead over SIN... but then ST needs kangaroo route oso.. what would happen to KLM codesharing practices??? AF/KLM is a big grouping and a part of the world where MH is well recognised..

could it also be that the apparent disparity between AF and MAS is finally taking toll?? Actually what is that all about ah? Pieter, can you shed some light on that? AFAIK, Malaysia and France have very good diplomatic relations stemming from various military deals, the AirAsia deal, the MAS A380 investment and frequent diplomatic missions between the two countries.. also, MAS has an outstanding relationship with Schipol and KLM.. so what is really going on??

Could it be that MAS is still beating around the bush?  huh.gif

23302[/snapback]

Yeah I agree its quite bizarre and ST would be the more practical choice.

But ah well...good for oneworld supporters! biggrin.gif If MH really does join I'd go back to ow immediately, but hopefully MH's fares doesn't rise to ow levels out of MEL. :S

One World ??? huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif

How can that be ? Skyteam is the ideal alliance for MH. I think AF is being difficult as well as MH,what do you say Pieter ?

mad.gif blink.gif huh.gif mellow.gif

Just out from the news:

Crunch time for Malaysia Airlines in 2006

KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) - Malaysia Airlines is facing a critical year in 2006 and must restructure, cut costs and boost revenue to survive the pressures of increasing regional competition, analysts say.

The national carrier has to catch up with restructuring efforts already being rolled out by rivals such as Singapore Airlines in the face of a liberalising market, and the rise of the budget airline phenomenon.

"It has not kept pace with its competitors in its rate of adaptation to the new environment," said the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation executive chairman Peter Harbison.

"It needs to become a profitable and effective airline -- and to do this will require a major act of commitment and focus, recognising that all of its competitors are moving ahead of it in this process of adaptation," he told AFP.

The national carrier ended 2005 in a troubled state after posting two consecutive quarters of losses and facing calls for costs to be slashed and better contingency plans made for rising fuel prices.

Capping the year, its chairman Munir Majid resorted to threatening legal action against critics after he was rapped for alleged extravagant spending including on artwork and consultants.

Harbison called 2006 a "watershed year" for the airline, and said the Malaysian government's patience was running out.

"The airline world is a much more competitive place, where reliance on government for support can no longer be taken for granted," he said.

Analysts' prescriptions for change include rationalising routes by cutting out international and domestic loss-making services despite its obligations as a national carrier, so that it can become a commercially competitive airline.

Drastically reducing costs and inefficiencies, including those associated with staffing, and raising revenue by forging better partnerships with other airlines to share flights and resources also figure strongly.

"It needs to find some strong partners, and quickly," said Sydney-based Harbison.

Analysts are now on the lookout for signs of real change in a detailed restructuring plan that the airline's new managing director, Idris Jala, is expected to announce early in the new year.

ECM Libra Securities aviation analyst Eu Jin Song said that Idris, who took up the post on December 1, recently told analysts that MAS was looking at costs and revenue measures, including raising fares.

"He seems to have a good idea of where the problem lies," said Song.

"The first step they did was centralise all expenditure. Previously all divisions had the authority to make spending, and this was removed from when Idris came in."

In the first indication of a grasp-the-nettle approach, Idris last month reportedly suggested the carrier sell its Kuala Lumpur headquarters to raise needed revenue for restructuring, although there was strong opposition.

But with the national carrier's image closely tied to Malaysia's sense of nationhood, debate over changes at MAS inevitably incites strong feelings, and observers say this could prove a stumbling block to change.

"MAS is operating a very fragile business model. There has to be a more sustainable plan. Frankly I don't see a comprehensive one being announced any time soon because the situation has turned too political," one fund manager was quoted as telling the Star daily over the weekend.

Song said analysts will be on the lookout for whether Idris can effectively execute his plans and bring in more of a corporate mind-set to the company.

"He is talking about cultural changes amongst the employees at MAS, so it's not an easy task," he said.

In the meantime, Song said the short term will see more red ink on Malaysia Airlines' balance sheets.

"The changes he has indicated he will make... will take some time, it is not going to be an overnight process," Song said.

Link

One World ???  huh.gif  huh.gif  huh.gif

How can that be ? Skyteam is the ideal alliance for MH. I think AF is being difficult as well as MH,what do you say Pieter ?

mad.gif  blink.gif  huh.gif  mellow.gif

23347[/snapback]

Personally I'm fine with either ST or OW.

Turning year for MAS? The only way they seem to be turning is backwards towards the longkang......

have a look at these pics..... sorry, first one is a bit blur (hands vibrating from all the adrenelin after talking to the MAS supervisors).

user posted image

user posted image

Looks like a queue to check in?

Nope, its the queue to pay for excess baggage. Even for Enrich Gold members.....

Paying for the excess baggage is one thing, but the wait was horrible....

Took me more than an hour to get to the counter to pay. Told them i needed to board NOW, and they said that they had informed all flights to delay departure. Got my boarding pass at 9am, ran to the gate (missed my Mc.Donalds sausage McMuffin with egg !!!!), heard my name being called. When arrived at C25, they were going to offload my bags. Anyway, last one on the plane at 9.15...!!! ETD 9.15am...!!!

Lucky the cabin crew provided great service....

mind u, the flight was less than half full in EY.

user posted image

dunno how MAS is going to make money. Lots of people were complaining about their new policies. The check in guy was apologetic, and was going to show me a letter with a directive from the top to charge for overweight baggage... well, another MAS episode for me... :-).

by the way, the stews on board were sweet... :-).

Sign in to follow this