MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

MAS offers ultimate ‘flying’ experience

MAS offers ultimate ‘flying’ experience

Written by The Edge Financial Daily

Friday, 18 September 2009 00:08

SUBANG: At a minimum cost of RM500 per person, the public can now experience what it feels like to pilot a plane, an experience normally reserved only for the elite group of professional pilots.

The national carrier, Malaysia Airlines (MAS), is now offering the ultimate “flying” experience with a high degree of realism at the Malaysia Airlines Simulator Building in Subang, allowing ordinary people to fly the Boeing or Airbus.

“With real aircraft instruments, full motion, surround sound and stunning visuals, this is as real as it gets. In fact, the same simulators are used all day, every day, to train pilots from airlines all around the world,” MAS said in a statement yesterday.

MAS owns one flight simulator each of the B747-400, B777–200, A330-300 and Fokker 50 aircraft and two units of B737-400 simulator.

The simulators are located at MAS Complex A of the Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang.

A 20-minute session is available at RM500 per person while a 60-minute session costs RM1,500.

As an added incentive, Enrich members can redeem and accrue miles for the flight simulator experience.

MAS cautioned that the experience involved some degree of physical mobility and may not be suitable for some people. Participants must be:

• At least 10 years of age;

• Provide a written consent from parent or guardian to participate (if participants are under the age of 15);

• Healthy with no heart condition, back or neck problems, motion sickness or other conditions that could be aggravated by the simulator’s motion.

• Dressed appropriately in smart casual clothing with flat shoes;

• Not be under the influence of drugs and alcohol;

• Not pregnant

MAS said bookings could be made via email to simexperience@malaysiaairlines.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or by calling +603 7840 4369/2673. Payment can be made via cash, telegraphic transfer, bank draft and cash cheque. Credit card payments will be made available soon.

For bookings, Enrich members can contact the Call Centre at 1-300-88-3000/+603 7843 3000 (outside Malaysia) or email enrich@malaysiaairlines.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . Minimum advanced booking time is seven working days and confirmation is subject to availability of the simulator.

http://www.theedgemalaysia.com/business-news/149668-mas-offers-ultimate-flying-experience.html

Spotted this on MH website a few weeks back. Good initiative - making full use of the sim slots. :good:

Great work.. something to look forward to if I'm bored in KL..

Guess there will be flight instructor and perhaps a brief tutorial prior to jumping on the hot seat, otherwise people will be simply pressing buttons and pulling things..

Yeah... finally MAS has it innovation, about the first few airlines in the world offer such "fun"... :good: great job!!!

But 20 min is way too short for anyone.

Especially for those who have totally no idea whats about or first time stepping into the cockpit. Explaination will definately take more than 20min~ lol~ <_<

Dont think much ppl will pay for this thing. :nea:

actually MH must be careful in screening the people who wanted or use too much sim time - as a terrorist precaution as not to be used for any unlawful purposes.

It's a Time machine..you feel 1 minute inside..but in reality..its already past 1hr :rolleyes:

just observe from youtube..Im not experience it yet.

I wouldn't recommend the 15 mins to anyone at all

Don't waste your time with 15 mins ,

At LEAST 30 mins , and that will give you one circuit , or , 1 touch and go and one full stop , at most !

Do the preflight fast fast 3 minutes, no need to taxi, just position at t/o position and go. Save some time there.....

Edited by Aaron Goh

A 20-minute session is available at RM500 per person while a 60-minute session costs RM1,500.

Very expensive wooo ... similar 737 set-up in NZ costs NZ$135/30min, NZ$235/60min, NZ$295/90min (NZ$1=RM2.5).

Is MH really that desperate for cash?

For some reason I really don't like the idea. Kind of cheapens MH name.. something like carnival TV3?

For some reason I really don't like the idea. Kind of cheapens MH name.. something like carnival TV3?

IIRC, BA already offered the same thing at least 10 years ago. So, I don't think it's a bad idea.

I don't think it will cheapen MH's name one bit. The price would deter many from trying. Only those who are well to do, or aviation enthusiasts who like to feel what it'll be like to be a pilot would go for it.

MH's offer is really good and not much expensive for a T7 simulator. we pays 300€ for 737NG or A320 full motion level-d simulator. This is not a thing to go to everyday (for like as us amateur aviators) so it's worth to pay 1500RM for 60minutes and I strongly advise to find another person to can pay one hour too. Believe me 1 hour is not enough for that amazing experience.

meanwhile, I'm making a plan to ride T7 sim experience when we visit to Malaysia again :)

do not miss that chance, you can't find much like that possbility in the world.

My advise to many , if you do decide to go for this ,

If you're worried about the exterior view , do not go for anything other than the jumbo .

If you want to have some true fun in the sim , and truly have some feeling of how an aircraft is , go for the 737-400 .

The reason why I'd recommend the 737 is because , The airbus and boeing's all have glass cockpit , and that kinda kills the experience a little .

The 737 classic , maintains the analogue gauges , and you will really feel really satisfied I believe , after a ride in the 737 .

Also I would suggest to perform abnormal flight if it is in full motion mode..

example : Ditching,tail strike,stall recovery.

I thinks 20minutes is enough for that syllabus :D

its quite fun and worth it..

because you cant experience those situation in real life..

if you confident that you can land it..don't waste for a perfect landing because that's not a base-check which required to perform it perfectly.

Edited by Aiman

if you curious what it like that experience here you are;

http://rapidshare.com/files/218894411/hadi_ucalim_07_04.part1.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/218894633/hadi_ucalim_07_04.part2.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/218892534/hadi_ucalim_07_04.part3.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/218892829/hadi_ucalim_07_04.part4.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/218885736/hadi_ucalim_07_04.part5.rar

this was a record of first 1hr part of 2 hrs flight for TV program for virtual flyers in a private channel which is broadcasting in satellite. simulation is Boeing 737NG by Mectronix in IFTC (www.iftc.aero). during record we were talking about my experiences in virtual aiviation, comments for that days news in Turkish Virtual aviation community , some of informations for first time seen a commercial full motion simulator for audiances etc...

after doing a few hours in the simulator,imho u should try to land the sim.. in nil wind, some wind and lotss of windss ;p

and if you think taking off is easy, try with different weights, as weights will play a big factor at how you Rotate.. :)