MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Wong Kok Choy

Thunderbirds coming to KL?

Notams for VTBD/DMK

A2287/09 - AD CLSD DUE MIL AIR DISPLAY. 06 0600-0730, 09 10 AND 11 0600-0830, 06 OCT 06:00

2009 UNTIL 11 OCT 08:30 2009. CREATED: 28 SEP 05:46 2009

just wondering, anyone knows when the Thunderbirds are departing SZB? they suppose to have a show in Bangkok on the 10th, that gives them at least 2 days of rest in KUL, I assume.

p/s: Just received info, one of the C-17 had just depart SZB a few minutes ago.

Yesterday, we spoke to some of the team and they said they are going back to Guam! They also said they are leaving on Monday. I guess the first C-17 departs today so that they can receive the incoming planes.

just wondering, anyone knows when the Thunderbirds are departing SZB? they suppose to have a show in Bangkok on the 10th, that gives them at least 2 days of rest in KUL, I assume.

p/s: Just received info, one of the C-17 had just depart SZB a few minutes ago.

Confirm...one of two C-17 already depart from SZB from RWY33 around 1100LT..not sure which one,,AK or HH...

Wonder when the F16 will depart...

The Star report:

SUBANG JAYA: A sterling display of aerial precision and skill by the Thunderbirds, the US Air Force (USAF) aerial demonstration team, kept more than 150,000 spectators here enthralled.

More here: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/10/4/nation/4840444&sec=nation

was shocked to read that 150,000 people turned up..i was in front pinned most of the time..didnt get to see the whole crowd but 150,000!i thought only manchester united could gather that much crowd.. :p

Yes hard to imagine there were so many people! That was why you had to wait 2 hours to get out of the TUDM Subang airbase carpark! I think that they moved the barriers forward when they realised that there were too many people in there! That was good as there were many children in the crowd and we don't want to see crush incidents happening.

Kaybin,

Nice Youtube coverage !!! :good:

Seems to be quite windy, and Thunderbirds had a hard way to stay level (see the smoke swerling)...

Love the camera sounds when the birds took-off and landed...

SU30: awesome sound and spectacular take-off... :pardon:

Seems to be quite windy, and Thunderbirds had a hard way to stay level (see the smoke swerling)...

Yes, it was quite blustery on Friday and one of the Thunderbirds (I think No 4) glided for so long down the runway before settling down!

Malaysians are quite starved of air shows like these. When I finally got out of the airbase some 3 hours after the show ended, I saw many people still hanging around the runway perimeter hoping for more!

agree with you flee..LIMA once every two years.if you're lucky you would get an open day from RMAF or rare occasions where teams like this come to perform.torture for fighter enthusiast like me :(

Yes hard to imagine there were so many people! That was why you had to wait 2 hours to get out of the TUDM Subang airbase carpark! I think that they moved the barriers forward when they realised that there were too many people in there! That was good as there were many children in the crowd and we don't want to see crush incidents happening.

I don't know whether there was 150k crowd went to see the display yesterday...

but these what I saw from my location...

The Airbase (before the show)

3979274489_c94af63634_o.jpg

They let the crowd into the access road infront of AFRS after the SU30's show

3979274739_922cbaa154_o.jpg

These people didn't know that the airbase is open to public... so they came to Skypark..

On top of MAS office..

3979274877_f652ea92db_o.jpg

On the new road in front of Skypark..

3979275025_e0538957a0_o.jpg

This was shot before the show...

during and after the show you can't see the surface of the road..

3979275187_2cee20dca3_o.jpg

Some managed to get into the area behind the Spirit Aerosystem

3979275457_ba5e8db2d0_o.jpg

heard with some helps from the inside..

and this young mother and her son is using the MD11's wing as canopy...

3980036140_3e2209ff3a_o.jpg

WOW Norman, thanks for the insight, the traffic looks like a stand still eh?! now share the thunderbirds action! :p

C-17 Tail code "AK" left around 11:00..

Call sign "Reach 522" (i think)...bound for Guam.

Was passing by SZB when she departed... :yahoo:

C17041009Depart2.jpg

C17041009Depart.jpg

There were still crowd hanging around, thinking that the T-Birds will have another show. :blink:

Crowd041009.jpg

It's a good thing they moved the barriers. All those lucky kids who get to sit at the very front. I wonder why they didn't build grandstand seats so that people can see the show in better comfort?

It's a good thing they moved the barriers. All those lucky kids who get to sit at the very front. I wonder why they didn't build grandstand seats so that people can see the show in better comfort?

In Malaysia we do not have an air display season like they do in Europe and America during the summer months. So it is hard to justify spending money on grandstands. But I think it would be good if RMAF can rent some grandstand seats in future airshows. That will also ensure more people can be accommodated. The kids should also have ear muffs to protect them from the loud noise.

In Malaysia we do not have an air display season like they do in Europe and America during the summer months. So it is hard to justify spending money on grandstands. But I think it would be good if RMAF can rent some grandstand seats in future airshows. That will also ensure more people can be accommodated. The kids should also have ear muffs to protect them from the loud noise.

Well they did rent some mobile toilets and set up some tents for the bazaar. However, I don't think grandstand is appropriate because the best option is still sit on the floor like during SAS. The problem is the crowd is too big for the location and TUDM wasn't really prepared for that IMHO.

Well they did rent some mobile toilets and set up some tents for the bazaar. However, I don't think grandstand is appropriate because the best option is still sit on the floor like during SAS. The problem is the crowd is too big for the location and TUDM wasn't really prepared for that IMHO.

somehow i prefer standing during an airshow.there wasnt enough room for people to sit especially those at the packed area in front.and those people kept shouting 'duduk!duduk'!one sikh guy got annoyed and shouted back since he couldnt sit due to sakit kaki..pity him really..

somehow i prefer standing during an airshow.there wasnt enough room for people to sit especially those at the packed area in front.and those people kept shouting 'duduk!duduk'!one sikh guy got annoyed and shouted back since he couldnt sit due to sakit kaki..pity him really..

Well we all got sakit kaki after a couple of hours. :p

Edited by Waiping

The Thunderbirds team arrived Andersen AFB, Guam from SZB yesterday. They are scheduled to perform at Guam tomorrow and prolly will head to Bangkok end of the week.

Edited by MIR

I wonder if we would be lucky to see the Thunderbirds, the Blue Angels and the Red Arrows together in one show? I'm watching a documentary on Nat Geo about the Red Arrows and they actually did perform together with the two American teams and the Canadian Snowbirds at the 2008 Quebec Air Show.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Well we all got sakit kaki after a couple of hours. :p

haha..since i was very much distracted by the show earlier,the sakit kaki only started after i got home and bathed that night..my bed never felt so good.. :p

I wonder if we would be lucky to see the Thunderbirds, the Blue Angels and the Red Arrows together in one show? I'm watching a documentary on Nat Geo about the Red Arrows and they actually did perform together with the two American teams and the Canadian Snowbirds at the 2008 Quebec Air Show.

yup..it was a very interesting part of the documentary..3 major aerobatic teams gathering at one airshow..dont think it will happen here anytime in the near future..hopefully i can see them all thou..heres a screenshot from the show..

dsfsdfsd.jpg