MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Wong Kok Choy

Thunderbirds coming to KL?

Thanks !

And there I was wondering why you were worried about the sun getting in way of your photographic efforts at 3am :)

My link

Says here the Thunderbirds are gonna be performing at RMAF Subang and the Sukhois will be in action too. Does anyone know if buses go there? Last I remember, RapidKL's U81 only goes to the passenger terminal.

It is more or less guaranteed that there will be massive traffic jams on the narrow roads leading to RMAF Subang. So unless you arrive very early (maybe 7 or 8 am), you might not be able to get in... I do not think that there is any public transport to the base other than taxis.

if im not mistaken,there is a female pilot in the team.hopefully can get a picture.. :p

i read about this as well from the official site.. TUDM site

just wondering guys... will there be an Open Day for TUDM much like the event they have last year? or just the acrobatic show with T'birds and our SU-30MKM?

would be great if they have the Open Day as well.. anyone with inside information?

thanks

Hmm, May be going up KL Tower on friday noon.

I believe the female pilot is Maj. Nicole Malachowski. She finished her tour with the Thunderbirds in 2007.

yeap..just googled up her name..seems to be a crowd favorite from the videos i watched on youtube.. :0

btw,how early should we be there to avoid the jam and get nice 'seats'? :p

heres a schedule i found on the net from another forum..seems like there will be a fly by at the twin towers on friday..anyone can confirm??kl tower would be perfect to view the planes i guess??im getting so excited i cant concentrate on studying for my coming test this thursday.. :p

Thunderbirds schedule

guys..found this on wikipedia

Lockheed Martin F-16C/D Fighting Falcon (Block 52) (2009 – Present)

In the 2009 show season the Thunderbirds transitioned to an updated version of the F-16 fighter. The Block 52s have an upgraded Avionics package that brings the Thunderbird fleet into alignment with the rest of the worldwide F-16 fleet. Additionally, the more powerful Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-229 engine adds an additional 3,600 lbs of thrust. This in turn increases the maximum allowable gross weight for ground handling, taxi, takeoff and in-flight maneuvers by nearly 5000 lbs.

they are using block 52 planes for real?

Andersen AFB-Guam air show cancelled, will the Thunderbirds arrive SZB earlier than expected? B)

9/28/2009 - ANDERSEN AIR FORCE BASE, Guam -- Dear Friends of Andersen Air Force Base,

It is with great disappointment that I have to cancel the Team Andersen Air Show '09. The reason for this cancellation is the development of Tropical Depression 18W that is tracking towards Guam with forecast cyclone force heavy winds and rain expected on the night before and day of the Airshow. Not only is there Tropical Depression 18W to be concerned about, but there is also a second potential storm building further to the east that could affect the island.

With this cancellation brings the disappointment that I will not be able to showcase your United States Air Force Thunderbirds, other Air Force Aircraft and our joint service partner equipment and capabilities. It also has an effect on the businesses and concessions that were planning to come to Andersen to support the crowd with souveniers and food. For this, I am truly sorry...but I am sure you understand that with the unpredictability and ferocity of Pacific Storms and Typhoons, we cannot take such Tropical Depression warnings lightly, and often a conservative approach is best to protect our families and military capabilities.

It is my hope that I can reschedule an airshow in the near future, or at least an Open House to thank you and the community for your continued outstanding support to the Airmen and Families of the 36th Wing and Andersen Air Force Base.

Si yu'us ma'ase para i kompreden miyo.

Philip M. Ruhlman, Brig Gen, USAF

Commander, 36th Wing

Edited by MIR

Yesterday afternoon I already saw a fighter jet approaching SZB from my room...hard to mention which jet from naked eye..

So KL base spotters,,,

which day : Friday or Saturday??

Vanue : inside PU TUDM or SZB spotting port??

Thurderbirds will depart Townsville, Australia for Subang today. Prolly be arriving late afternoon or early evening. 8 X F16, 2 X C-17 & 2 X KC-10 tankers

Edited by MIR

Departed starting around 1100 AEST. Formed up and started tanking about 1130. Give it about 8 hours flight time I reckon.

If they arrive earlier, i.e. before 19:00 there might be shooting opportunities...