MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Guide on Regional Flights by Non Regional Airlines

Since the header doesn't specifically say, it had to be Asian, here are 2 nice ones intra-Europe:

AMS-MAD-AMS by KE A332

Amsterdam to Madrid

Flight 1 Sunday, December 13, 2009

Departure: 13:20 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Schiphol

Arrival: 16:00 Madrid, Spain - Barajas, terminal 1

Airline: Korean Air KE925 Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A330-200

Fare Type: Economy Restricted

Madrid to Amsterdam

Flight 1 Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Departure: 17:20 Madrid, Spain - Barajas, terminal 1

Arrival: 20:00 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Schiphol

Airline: Korean Air KE926 Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A330-200

Fare Type: Economy Restricted

Legend:EUR = Europrice

travellers Fare taxes

1 adult(s) x (146.00 + 37.75) = 183.75 EUR

total for all travellers 183.75 EUR

purchase conditions

fare basis information

Important Information

• Fare amount (shown above) and seats on the selected flight(s) are guaranteed after we complete payment

• process including credit card authorization on your purchase request.

• Fare amount above includes fuel surcharge and taxes (except for a few minority airports which

• requires local airport tax to be collected upon check-in only)

• Any request for refunds and/or flight change can be subject to fees or penalties depending on the selected fare

type. For more detailed information, please refer to the 'Purchase Conditions' listed under 'Price'.

• SKYPASS information

- Please enroll in SKYPASS membership program first to receive our exclusive member benefits including

mileage accrual and award redemption.

- SKYPASS mileage accrual rate may vary according to booking class. You can check your booking class

by clicking 'Fare Basis Information' (the first letter of 'Fare Basis'). View mileage accrual rate table

- The SkyTeam upgrade service is not available for tickets purchased online. Please contact

our service center for details. View contact information

- Mileage accrual on SkyTeam frequent flyer program varies. Please contact each carrier for more information

• Please click ‘NEXT’ button below to continue your ticket purchase request.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAD-FRA-MAD by LA A343

Frankfurt - Madrid

× Schließen

Vergleichen Sie die Leistungen der verschiedenen Tarife.

Economy Class Kabine Tarif

Business Class Kabine Tarif

Freitag 11 dezember BaseDer beste Preis

Erlaubt keine Umbuchungen.

Erlaubt keine Rückerstattungen des Tickets.

100% LANPASS km Sammlung bei Direktflügen.

Keine Sitzplatzreservierung bei Tätigung der Buchung erlaubt. Sie können Ihren Sitzplatz allerdings 48 Stunden vor Abflug unter den noch verfügbaren wählen, wenn Sie über LAN.com einchecken.

Base PlusPreis und mehr

Erlaubt Umbuchungen vor Abflug bei Tarifverfügbarkeit unter Entrichtung einer Gebühr von US$50.

Erlaubt eine vorherige Sitzplatzreservierung.

Premium BusinessMaximaler Komfort und Flexibilität

Maximale Flexibilität und das beste Flugerlebnis bei Reisen in der Business Class Kabine.

Keinerlei Einschränkungen.

Flüge Abflug Ankunft Dauer

LA 705

Airbus 340

19:40 22:25 02:45 hrs.

€24.00

Madrid - Frankfurt

× Schließen

Vergleichen Sie die Leistungen der verschiedenen Tarife.

Economy Class Kabine Tarif

Business Class Kabine Tarif

Montag 14 dezember BaseDer beste Preis

Erlaubt keine Umbuchungen.

Keine Sitzplatzreservierung bei Tätigung der Buchung erlaubt. Sie können Ihren Sitzplatz allerdings 48 Stunden vor Abflug unter den noch verfügbaren wählen, wenn Sie über LAN.com einchecken.

Base PlusPreis und mehr

Erlaubt Umbuchungen vor Abflug bei Tarifverfügbarkeit unter Entrichtung einer Gebühr von US$50.

Erlaubt eine vorherige Sitzplatzreservierung.

Premium BusinessMaximaler Komfort und Flexibilität

Maximale Flexibilität und das beste Flugerlebnis bei Reisen in der Business Class Kabine.

Keinerlei Einschränkungen.

Flüge Abflug Ankunft Dauer

LA 704

Airbus 340

15:15 17:55 02:40 hrs.

€24.00

- Geschätzte Werte inklusive Steuern für 1 erwachsenen Passagier.

- Alle Plätze sind erst nach Bestätigung in den nachfolgenden Schritten garantiert.

Preis €48.00

Gebühren €33.47

Preis * : €81.47

Preise in Euro

Endpreis

Especially, the LAN offer is excellent !!!

and......you can combine this too in, for instance, AMS-MAD-FRA !!! :yahoo:

and......you can combine this too in, for instance, AMS-MAD-FRA !!! :yahoo:

Here we'll understand, but my guess is if travel agent tries to sell that to average joe in the street, he/she will be thought of as having gone mad :p

Still within the scope of the topic, why can't we book a flight from KUL or PEN to KCH or BKI via SIN on Singaporean airlines (SQ and MI)?

I find it rather weird that eventhough both Malaysia and Singapore are leading the entire South East Asian countries with the 'open sky policy' being in place, such booking is still impossible. A journey from KUL to BKI on MI for instance has to be made separately - KUL-SIN followed by another booking SIN-BKI, a method which seems very point-to-point ala AK but on the contrary, both SQ and MI are not LCCs. Is it because of immigration related restriction that probably concerning the Singaporean authorities by allowing Malaysians to enter the country without passport while on transit to another Malaysian points accross the South China Sea?

Since the header doesn't specifically say, it had to be Asian, here are 2 nice ones intra-Europe:

AMS-MAD-AMS by KE A332

MAD-FRA-MAD by LA A343

Is there any more, Pieter? The KE's AMS-MAD-AMS flight was recently featured in 2 sets of A.Net trip reports. No PTVs though in those A332s. Was also stumbled an information that KE also operate VIE-ZRH-VIE but it will soon be withdrawn?

I think we can add the upcoming SQ's MUC-MAN-MUC too in the list. This one, with the state-of-the-art B77Ws, is surely going to hit big!

Still within the scope of the topic, why can't we book a flight from KUL or PEN to KCH or BKI via SIN on Singaporean airlines (SQ and MI)?

I find it rather weird that eventhough both Malaysia and Singapore are leading the entire South East Asian countries with the 'open sky policy' being in place, such booking is still impossible. A journey from KUL to BKI on MI for instance has to be made separately - KUL-SIN followed by another booking SIN-BKI, a method which seems very point-to-point ala AK but on the contrary, both SQ and MI are not LCCs. Is it because of immigration related restriction that probably concerning the Singaporean authorities by allowing Malaysians to enter the country without passport while on transit to another Malaysian points accross the South China Sea?

- Your reason is incorrect as there were quite a few KUL-SIN-KCH flights, for instance, in recent times. Domestic pax from KCH can enter & roam Changi during the transit stop before reboarding the same plane for KUL.

- The reason is probably restrictions on the bilateral air arrangement, to prevent a foreign airline from poaching domestic pax through the backdoor. You cannot book the same with BI as well via BWN. Has to be separate tickets. And BI, SQ-MI were strategically placed between east & West M'sia to do some damage to then incumbent MH. Till today, no foreign airlines can offer domestic flights within M'sia. And that ensures that AK has its domestic mrkt cash cow undisturbed compared to the likes of Tiger Airways, which has none.

Interestingly, CX which flies KUL-PENvv to/from HKG, can pickup pax in KUL to fly them to PEN, but only if the same pax had come from HKG on the same ticket, e.g. HKG-KUL-PEN, allowing the pax to stopover in KUL before flying to PEN on another day.

I used to remember in the late nineties there used to be a MAS flight which i took..

BKI-LBU-MYY-KCH-SIN-KUL...

excellent stuff. i joined the flight in LBU ...for some reason, that day, they omitted the SIN stop. But nevertheless ... an awesome flight all the same!

I remember thinking the same thing then ... i don't have my passport with me...will they stop me in SIN?? LOL

Edited by Izanee

I used to remember in the late nineties there used to be a MAS flight which i took..

BKI-LBU-MYY-KCH-SIN-KUL...

excellent stuff. i joined the flight in LBU ...for some reason, that day, they omitted the SIN stop. But nevertheless ... an awesome flight all the same!

I remember thinking the same thing then ... i don't have my passport with me...will they stop me in SIN?? LOL

I can look up the flight number but I dont recall this particular multi-sector flight has scheduled stops in SIN. I remember the outbound, which actually starts in PEN.

The routing was PEN-KUL-KCH-MYY-LBU-BKI on one single flight number.

Is there any more, Pieter?

Didn't check and not sure, but isn't SV operating MAN-GVA with 777's ? :huh:

and....how about EK's LCA-MLA v.v. with 330's ? ;)

yeah, it will be a long and boring flight to SEL next month, I guess, Azizul... :help:

Didn't check and not sure, but isn't SV operating MAN-GVA with 777's ?

and....how about EK's LCA-MLA v.v. with 330's ?

The latter is confirmed, but I am not sure about the former. Will check it out.

Just an update for QR, since the new year (2010), QR has stopped plying the KUL-DPS-KUL route. They now paired the DPS tag-on with SIN, SIN-DPS-SIN using B77Ws. They also have stopped plying the SIN-CGK-SIN tag-on and all flights to CGK now are terminator, like in the case of KUL.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

yeah...no more cheap fare to DPS on QR.

that leaves us with only 2 options, either with Malaysia Airlines or AirAsia.

any other cheap non-stop flight?

been on QR flight to DPS before, and the flight was full both ways!

Just an update for QR, since the new year (2010), QR has stopped plying the KUL-DPS-KUL route. They now paired the DPS tag-on with SIN, SIN-DPS-SIN using B77Ws.

Yeah, one of the reasons why I suggested Mai to spend some time @ DPS this year, as I love the QR 777's...

They've some excellent offers at present to DPS (

I managed to compile the latest and most current list of all (? hopefully) intra-Europe flights by non EU carriers with 5th freedom rights to carry passengers from both points, as follows:

American Airlines

Until April 2010 | LHR-BRU-LHR | B763

Emirates

LCA-MLA-LCA | A332

Ethiopian Airlines

FCO-ARN-FCO | B752

Korean Air

Until April 2010 | AMS-MAD-AMS | A332

From April 2010 | AMS-MAD | B772 | 3 weekly (only one way as the flight will then be a triangular ICN-AMS-MAD-ICN)

Until April 2010 | VIE-ZRH | A333 | 3 weekly*

From April 2010 | VIE-ZRH | B772 | 3 weekly (same as * only equipment change. Also only one way as the flight is a triangular ICN-VIE-ZRH-ICN)

Kuwait Airways

FRA-GVA-FRA | A306/A343

July-August 2010 | GVA-LHR | A306

FCO-CDG-FCO | A306/A343 | 4 times per week

LAN Airlines

MAD-FRA-MAD | A343 | Daily

PIA Pakistan International Airlines

CPH-OSL-CPH | B772

AMS-IST-AMS | A310

Singapore Airlines

MUC-MAN-MUC | B77W

United Airlines

Until April 2010 | LHR-BRU-LHR | B772

QR announced 2 new tag-on flights in South East Asia!

i. KUL-HKT vv daily A330 beginning 11 October 2010

ii. BKK-HAN vv 4 weekly B77W beginning 1 November 2010

This is on top of QR's current SIN-DPS vv tag-on flight.

http://www.moodiereport.com/document.php?c_id=40&doc_id=24489

Thanks a lot for the link, Azizul; it shows some new QR destinations interesting to both Mai and me: Hanoi & Brussels...I guess, the rumours of Amsterdam were, well just rumours and they opted for BRU instead...

Wonder if they hold MXP-NCE v.v. and OTP-BUD v.v. traffic rights (both being an intra-EU route)...

The schedules are out!

Phuket:

Starting 11th October QR 622/623 & QR 624/625 which cover 7 of the 11 weekly DOH-KUL flights.

QR 622 DOH - KUL 0835 2100 Tu, We, Fr, Su

------- KUL - HKT 2210 2225 Tu, Fr, Su

QR 624 DOH - KUL 0150 1420 We, Fr, Sa

------- KUL - HKT 1540 1555 We, Fr, Sa

QR 623 HKT - KUL 0005 0235 Mo, We, Th, Sa

------- KUL - DOH 0345 0610 Mo, We, Sa

QR 625 HKT - KUL 1735 1955 Th, Sa, Su

------- KUL - DOH 2105 2350 Th, Sa, Su

Aircraft will be A330-300. 6 out of 7 KUL-HKT flights will have 5th freedom rights.

Hanoi:

With the addition of HAN, QR will go triple daily to BKK.

QR 614 DOH - BKK 0045 1130 Mo, Tu, Fr, Sa

------- BKK - HAN 1230 1415 Mo, Tu, Fr, Sa

QR 615 HAN - BKK 2325 0120 +1 Mo, Tu, Fr, Sa

------- BKK - DOH 0235 0600 Tu, We, Sa, Su

Aircraft: A330-300. Full 5th freedom rights.

Thanks a lot for the link, Azizul; it shows some new QR destinations interesting to both Mai and me: Hanoi & Brussels...I guess, the rumours of Amsterdam were, well just rumours and they opted for BRU instead. Wonder if they hold MXP-NCE v.v. and OTP-BUD v.v. traffic rights (both being an intra-EU route).

I read that QR has already obtained a slot at AMS but decided not to utilise it. Through A.Net, I was informed that QR does not have 5th freedom rights for BUD-BUH vv.

Emirates' daily BKK-HKG vv using a 3 class Boeing 777-300

The flight above will be upgraded to a daily A380 service beginning 1 October 2010.

http://airlineroute.net/2010/08/13/ek-w10-update2/ Credit to fellow MalaysianWings member, Jim Liu.

So folks, for those who would like to fly on EK A380, there is a cheaper and nearer option from KUL. Just go to BKK and embark on the flight from BKK to HKG.

The flight above will be upgraded to a daily A380 service beginning 1 October 2010.

http://airlineroute.net/2010/08/13/ek-w10-update2/ Credit to fellow MalaysianWings member, Jim Liu.

So folks, for those who would like to fly on EK A380, there is a cheaper and nearer option from KUL. Just go to BKK and embark on the flight from BKK to HKG.

Yay, not bad. That would take 1 hour off the SIN - HKG flight. Alas! Won't be able to catch as I will be there 1 week earlier. :(

Let's do a recap for regional flights by non regional airlines from these following airports:

KLIA (KUL)

1. Air Zimbabwe | KUL-PEK-KUL | 1 weekly | B762ER

2. Emirates | KUL-MEL-KUL | Daily | B77W

3. KLM | KUL-CGK-KUL | Daily | B77W/B772ER

4. Kuwait Airways | KUL-CGK-KUL | Unspecified | A343

5. Lufthansa | KUL-BKK-KUL | 3 weekly | B744

6. Qatar Airways | KUL-HKT-KUL | 6 weekly | A332/A333 *Begins 11 October 2010

7. Royal Jordanian | KUL-BKK-KUL | 4 weekly | A332

8. Yemenia | KUL-DXB-KUL | Unspecified | A332

Changi (SIN)

1. British Airways | SIN-SYD-SIN

2. Cathay Pacific | SIN-BKK-SIN

3. Cathay Pacific | SIN-CMB-SIN

4. China Airlines | SIN-SUB-SIN

5. Delta Airlines | SIN-NRT-SIN

6. Emirates | SIN-BNE-SIN

7. Emirates | SIN-CMB-SIN

8. Emirates | SIN-MEL-SIN

9. Etihad | SIN-BNE-SIN

10. Jetstar (Australia) | SIN-DPS-SIN

11. Jetstar (Australia) | SIN-CGK-SIN

12. KLM | SIN-DPS-SIN

13. Lion Air | SIN-SGN-SIN

14. Lufthansa | SIN-CGK-SIN

15. Philippines Airlines | SIN-CGK-SIN

16. Qantas | SIN-FRA-SIN

17. Qantas | SIN-LHR-SIN

18. Qantas | SIN-BOM-SIN

19. Qatar Airways | SIN-DPS-SIN

20. Saudi Arabian Airlines | SIN-CGK-SIN

21. United Airlines | SIN-HKG-SIN

22. United Airlines | SIN-NRT-SIN

Suvarnabhumi (BKK)

1. Air France | BKK-HAN-BKK | B744 *Ends 30 October 2010

2. Air France | BKK-SGN-BKK | B744 *Ends 2 November 2010

3. Air Madagascar | BKK-CAN-BKK

4. British Airways | BKK-SYD-BKK

5. Cathay Pacific | BKK-CMB-BKK

6. Cathay Pacific | BKK-DEL-BKK

7. Cathay Pacific | BKK-KHI-BKK

8. Cathay Pacific | BKK-BOM-BKK

9. Cathay Pacific | BKK-SIN-BKK

10. China Airlines | BKK-AMS-BKK

11. China Airlines | BKK-HKG-BKK

12. Drukair | BKK-DAC-BKK

13. Drukair | BKK-CCU-BKK

14. Drukair | BKK-Gaya-BKK

15. Egyptair | BKK-CAN-BKK

16. Emirates | BKK-SYD-CHC-SYD-BKK

17. Emirates | BKK-HKG-BKK

18. Ethiopian Airlines | BKK-CAN-BKK

19. Ethiopian Airlines | BKK-HKG-BKK

20. EVA | BKK-AMS-BKK

21. EVA | BKK-LHR-BKK

22. EVA | BKK-VIE-BKK

23. Kenya Airways | BKK-CAN-BKK

24. Kenya Airways | BKK-HKG-BKK

25. KLM | BKK-TPE-BKK

26. Kuwait Airways | BKK-MNL-BKK

27. Lufthansa | BKK-SGN-BKK

28. Lufthansa | BKK-KUL-BKK

29. PIA | BKK-HKG-BKK

30. Qantas | BKK-LHR-BKK

31. Qatar Airways | BKK-HAN-BKK *Begins 1 November 2010

32. Royal Jordanian | BKK-HKG-BKK

33. Royal Jordanian | BKK-KUL-BKK

34. Sri Lankan | BKK-PEK-BKK

35. Sri Lankan | BKK-HKG-BKK

36. Sri Lankan | BKK-PVG-BKK

Soekarno-Hatta (CGK)

1. China Airlines | CGK-HKG-CGK

2. Jetstar (Australia) | CGK-SIN-CGK

3. KLM | CGK-KUL-CGK

4. Kuwait Airways | CGK-KUL-CGK

5. Lufthansa | CGK-SIN-CGK

6. Philippines Airlines | CGK-SIN-CGK

7. Yemenia | CGK-DXB-CGK

There could be some errors in the list above. Hope we can correct it together. But still, there are a lot of exotic flights to try actually.

I thought EK's flight to MEL was with an A340? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, someone mind explaining the pros and cons of airlines doing these tag-ons?

I was always under the impression that tag-on = good for airport.

However was recently told that usually tag-ons were done because normal load to that destination was not enough, so they had to tag it on with another destination, thus combining two flights basically, into one.

Example: Say KL flies AMS-KUL-CGK.. Does it imply that AMS-KUL load isn't healthy enough? So they have to combine it with CGK loads?

Sidenote: Imagine if MH joined an alliance :( Sedih

Edited by jani

Does anyone know how EK's doing on KUL-MEL sector? I read from A.net the loads are just OK, competing with D7 and MH itself.

On a.net somebody says EK might consider shifting the KUL stop to BOM because of the great competition with MH and D7.

It was quickly shot down by somebody who said EK does not have rights out of India, though.

Yay, not bad. That would take 1 hour off the SIN - HKG flight. Alas! Won't be able to catch as I will be there 1 week earlier.

Waiping, now do whatever you can to have the event in HKG being delayed by a week LOL.

I thought EK's flight to MEL was with an A340? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, someone mind explaining the pros and cons of airlines doing these tag-ons?

I was always under the impression that tag-on = good for airport.

However was recently told that usually tag-ons were done because normal load to that destination was not enough, so they had to tag it on with another destination, thus combining two flights basically, into one.

Example: Say KL flies AMS-KUL-CGK.. Does it imply that AMS-KUL load isn't healthy enough? So they have to combine it with CGK loads?

Sidenote: Imagine if MH joined an alliance

The EK flight from KUL to MEL was recently being 'upgraded' (capacity wide) to the B77W (which is more appropriate I think as the A345 should be deployed to somewhere which more suiting its ultra long haul range capability. KUL-MEL is so not ULH).

I think nastar has given a good example on why the pairing of QR's tag-on destinations in South East Asia is so and so in the Middle East Airlines thread. So you may be right that airlines will usually combine 2 destinations into 1 flight to make it profitable.

However, it is worth noting that in KUL's case it is a bit different. Beginning this year (2010), MAHB announced a new scheme for their airline partners which includes:

MAHB announces incentive programme

Objective to attract more passengers, says Bashir

Ee Ann Nee Thursday, November 19th, 2009 07:12:00

MALAYSIA Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) has announced an incentive programme for new and existing airlines operating in airports managed by them that is aimed at bringing more passengers.

MAHB managing director Tan Sri Bashir Ahmad said yesterday that the Airline Recovery Programme, effective Jan 1 this year, is an additional incentive on top of the low airport charges and 50 per cent landing rebate to support airline partners through this recovery period.

Under the programme, new airlines flying into Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Low Cost Carrier Terminal and the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport, that have a strong market base compared with other local airports, will receive an incentive payment of RM10 per passenger. To promote tourism in other States, a higher incentive payment of RM25 per passenger will be given to the airlines flying into its airports. The incentive is valid for new airlines in the first 12 months of operations, after which the growth incentive for existing airlines will apply. It is applicable to inbound passengers of international flights. These new airlines flying into Malaysia will also enjoy free landing fees for three years plus free office rental for six months.

Existing airlines, on the other hand, will be rewarded through a tier-based incentive scheme. Using last year’s passenger load volume as a base, MAHB will give an incentive payment of RM10 per passenger for the first 10 per cent growth, RM12.50 per passenger for the next eight per cent growth and RM15 for all additional passengers above 18 per cent.

The incentive will be reviewed after three years.

Bashir said MAHB had been proactive by having a series of discussions with the government, the International Air Transport Association and the airlines before finalising the programme. “The response from the airlines has been good. We are expecting four to five per cent growth in passenger load this year and a three to four per cent growth next year from increased flight frequencies,” he said, adding that the programme would be funded from commercial revenue.

Bashir said the scheme is aimed at getting more passengers into the country to boost recovery in this economic crisis. “The basic incentive we give to airlines is our low airport charges — currently the lowest in the region, if not the world.

“Under the government’s Economic Stimulus Plan for airlines, a 50 per cent discount has also been offered on all landings, for all airlines, at all airports in Malaysia from April this year to March 2011. And now, we top it off with the programme that airlines have been waiting for.”

If I am not mistaken, EK is the first airline to jump in taking advantage of the incentive for the existing airline. EK handled 411,658 passengers in KUL in 2009, and the new KUL-MEL-KUL flight will surely increase their passengers number this year.

Let's do an exercise. Let say EK carried 500,000 passengers in KUL in 2010. Their incentive will be:

500,000 pax in 2010 - 411,658 pax in 2009 = 88,342 passengers

Growth = 88,342/411,658 = 21.46%

Based on the MAHB new scheme, EK is expected to receive an incentive amounting to = 88,342 pax x RM 15 per pax (for growth above 18%) = RM 1,325,130!

That is like a bonus to the airline by the very obviously aggressive customer-hungry KLIA. And obviously EK is not a slow and stupid airline. They jumped in at the opportunity right away!

So I would say, airport incentive also plays a part in deciding a tag-on flight by airlines.

I am equally sad with your sidenote. Just see the number of tag-on flights out of SIN and BKK, both of which are Star Alliance hubs. KUL could have that many number of tag-on flights too if it is a hub of a global alliance.

Thanks for the invaluable list,Mohd Azizul Ramli! :good:

I don't think it's that simple to book some of the flights. For example, how do you book a KUL-PEK-KUL flight on Air Zimbabwe?

KUL-CGK-KUL not bookable on Kuwait Airways website.

Edited by Waiping