MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Guide on Regional Flights by Non Regional Airlines

Well, i´m happy i could contribute something "useful" to the forum ...

I´m planning to be back to Asia next year (oct/nov) and as i always try to include a visit to Malaysia (btw. Malaysia has a very special place in my heart :excl: - to the great disappointment :rolleyes: of my wife who´s from the Philippines ;) )i am now able to add some "spice" to the experience ...

So, i will easily be able to include a "new airline" into my itinerary !

I always try to experience as many new (for me) airlines and aircraft types as possible on my trips. Silkair is also still high on my list ...

Edited by Juergen Witte

Would be strange if AF flies to KUL, no? Especially as KL already does.

AF and KL flies to SIN daily. So its not weird if they both flies to KUL

Would be strange if AF flies to KUL, no? Especially as KL already does.

AF and KL flies to SIN daily. So its not weird if they both flies to KUL

BKK too.

If anything, that means that it is even more unlikely AF would consider KUL. Would be happy if they did come, of course, but I don't see it happening.

If anything, that means that it is even more unlikely AF would consider KUL. Would be happy if they did come, of course, but I don't see it happening.

Agree. MH only operates daily 772 to CDG and rumoured tiff between MH and AF also doesn't help.

This rumour about AF first emerged in A.Net when AF announced their 3 weekly PNH tag-on from BKK. As we all know, AF discontinued their tag-on to SGN and HAN, both from BKK, in favour of direct service to SGN and code share flight with VN to HAN. So since a new tag-on is created with the 3 weekly PNH flight, there are 4 more weekly flights which ended in BKK without a pair. So a few names popped up, but amongst all which were mentioned, KUL seems like a prime candidate.

1. Air Arabia | KUL-KTM-KUL | *Starting on 17 December 2010

This one is not going to happen to protect Nepal Airlines.

Nepal scraps Air Arabia's Kathmandu-Kuala Lumpur flights

Dec 14, 2010, 5:39 GMT

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/business/news/article_1605495.php/Nepal-scraps-Air-Arabia-s-Kathmandu-Kuala-Lumpur-flights

Kathmandu - Nepal on Tuesday rescinded the operation permit for Air Arabia to operate flights between Kathmandu and Kuala Lumpur, officials said amid concerns about what the competition would mean for Nepal Airlines.

The Civil Aviation Ministry said the deal with the United Arab Emirates-based airline had been scrapped following a directive from parliament's international relations committee.

'We have to follow the directive of the committee,' Tourism Secretary Kishor Thapa said while warning there could be consequences: 'The government will have to suffer if any problem arises from this.'

The committee asked the ministry to revoke its decision to allow the Sharjah-based low-cost airline to operate flights between Kathmandu and Kuala Lumpur. The directive followed a request by the national flag carrier Nepal Airlines.

It said the ministry's decision would hurt its business, which was the most lucrative on the Malaysia-Nepal route, earning it 8 million rupees (106,700 dollars) per flight. The route is widely used by Nepalese migrant workers travelling to Malaysia for employment.

Air Arabia said Monday that it was preparing to operate six flights a week starting December 16. Air Arabia representative in Nepal said the flights would come into operation as agreed between the two countries December 2.

'We are not challenging the parliamentary committee's decision but simply following the law,' The Republica daily quoted Air Arabia's Ravi Chandra Singh as saying.

Air Arabia currently operates flights between Kathmandu and Dubai and Doha.

This one is not going to happen to protect Nepal Airlines.

No big surprise since Air Arabia already tried to set up an operation at KTM with a separate AOC but "somehow" failed (I´m not sure is they ever commenced KTM-KUL flights then).

This is now Air Arabia´s second try (and failure) I would have been surprised very much if they didn´t fail ...

Edited by Juergen Witte

Here´s a new addition to the list of fifth freedom routes in Europe:

Air China has just released a new PEK-MUC-ATH vv. route starting may 11th 2011 with traffic rights for the MUC-ATH-MUC sector. Flights will be operated with A330-200 twice weekly (days 3,6).

So far only C-class fares have been loaded into res systems but Y-class fares are expected to be availlable soon.

MUC-ATH 06.55-10.30

ATH-MUC 11.30-12.55

why dont air arabia just pick others south asian cities such as colombo, and south indian cities such as chennai to replace kathmandu as a transit point for flight to kuala lumpur?

Air China has now added Y-Class fares to the MUC-ATH vv. sector...

Oneway starts at 85.50EUR

Return from 171.69EUR

Updated list of all 5th freedom flights from 4 of the largest airports in South East Asia:

KLIA (KUL)

1. Air Arabia | KUL-KTM-KUL | *Starting on 17 December 2010

2. Air Zimbabwe | KUL-PEK-KUL | 1 weekly | B762ER

3. Emirates | KUL-MEL-KUL | Daily | B77W

4. KLM | KUL-CGK-KUL | Daily | B77W/B772ER

5. Kuwait Airways | KUL-CGK-KUL | 3 weekly | A343

6. Lufthansa | KUL-BKK-KUL | 4 weekly | B744

7. Qatar Airways | KUL-HKT-KUL | 7 weekly | A332/A333

8. Qatar Airways | KUL-SUB-KUL | 3 weekly | A332/A333 *To be announced

9. Royal Jordanian | KUL-BKK-KUL | 3 weekly | A332

10. Yemenia | KUL-DXB | 2 weekly | A332 *One way only as flight is a triangular Sana'a-DXB-KUL-CGK-DXB-Sana'a

11. Yemenia | KUL-CGK | 2 weekly | A332 *One way only as flight is a triangular Sana'a-DXB-KUL-CGK-DXB-Sana'a

12. Saudi Arabian | KUL-CGK-KUL | Unspecified *Status unconfirmed

Air Niugini and Air Mauritius and Sri Lankan fly between KUL and SIN but with no traffic rights.

Rumour/Speculation stage: Turkish Airlines' IST-KUL-SYD vv, Air France's CDG-XXX-KUL vv, and the return of British Airways to KUL http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4995646/

After the cancellation of Air Arabia's KUL-KTM-KUL flight, it is now confirmed that the rumoured Turkish Airlines' IST-KUL-SYD vv is not happening. TK will fly to SYD via MNL instead.

Therefore, here is the updated list for KUL:

KLIA (KUL)

1. Air Zimbabwe | KUL-PEK-KUL | 1 weekly | B762ER

2. Emirates | KUL-MEL-KUL | Daily | B77W

3. KLM | KUL-CGK-KUL | Daily | B77W/B772ER

4. Kuwait Airways | KUL-CGK-KUL | 3 weekly | A343

5. Lufthansa | KUL-BKK-KUL | 4 weekly | B744

6. Qatar Airways | KUL-HKT-KUL | 7 weekly | A332/A333

7. Qatar Airways | KUL-SUB-KUL | 3 weekly | A332/A333 *To be announced

8. Royal Jordanian | KUL-BKK-KUL | 3 weekly | A332

9. Sri Lankan | KUL-SIN-KUL

10. Yemenia | KUL-DXB | 2 weekly | A332 *One way only as flight is a triangular Sana'a-DXB-KUL-CGK-DXB-Sana'a

11. Yemenia | KUL-CGK | 2 weekly | A332 *One way only as flight is a triangular Sana'a-DXB-KUL-CGK-DXB-Sana'a

12. Saudi Arabian | KUL-CGK-KUL | Unspecified *Status unconfirmed

Air Niugini and Air Mauritius fly between KUL and SIN but with no traffic rights.

Rumour/Speculation stage: Air France's CDG-XXX-KUL vv, and the return of British Airways to KUL http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4995646/

why dont air arabia just pick others south asian cities such as colombo, and south indian cities such as chennai to replace kathmandu as a transit point for flight to kuala lumpur?

I think it is because of traffic rights. India in particular is notoriously known for being extremely stingy with 5th freedom rights.

Rumour/Speculation stage: Air France's CDG-XXX-KUL vv, and the return of British Airways to KUL http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4995646/

That A.net topic is about BA only; where did you get the info from AF is returning to KUL ?

Within the AF-KL group, KL is the designated airline for KUL, likewise AF is the designated airline for CCS, for instance...

From Jim Liu's blog, CX to ply SIN-CGK vv. http://airlineroute.net/2011/01/19/cx-sincgk-s11/

Cathay Pacific relaunches Singapore – Jakarta service Mar – Aug 2011

20110119 BY JIMYVR LEAVE A COMMENT

As per 19JAN11 GDS timetable display, Cathay Pacific is re-entering Singapore – Jakarta market after several years of hiatus, with 3 weekly service on board Airbus A330-300 aircraft. Service operates from 28MAR11 to 12AUG11 only. During this period CX’s overall frequencies increase from 21 to 24 weekly.

Currently, Singapore – Jakarta market sees up to 33-35 Daily flights by 11 carriers.

Schedules:

CX715 HKG2000 – 2345SIN0045+1 – 0120+1CGK 330 247

CX736 CGK0525 – 0805SIN1005 – 1405HKG 330 135

And therefore, here is the updated list for SIN and CGK.

Changi (SIN)

1. British Airways | SIN-SYD-SIN

2. Cathay Pacific | SIN-BKK-SIN

3. Cathay Pacific | SIN-CMB-SIN

4. Cathay Pacific | SIN-CGK-SIN | 3 weekly | A333

5. China Airlines | SIN-SUB-SIN

6. Delta Airlines | SIN-NRT-SIN

7. Emirates | SIN-BNE-SIN

8. Emirates | SIN-CMB-SIN

9. Emirates | SIN-MEL-SIN

10. Etihad | SIN-BNE-SIN

11. Jetstar (Australia) | SIN-DPS-SIN

12. Jetstar (Australia) | SIN-CGK-SIN

13. KLM | SIN-DPS-SIN

14. Lion Air | SIN-SGN-SIN

15. Lufthansa | SIN-CGK-SIN

16. MAI | SIN-BKK-SIN

17. Philippine Airlines | SIN-CGK-SIN

18. Qantas | SIN-FRA-SIN

19. Qantas | SIN-LHR-SIN

20. Qantas | SIN-BOM-SIN

21. Qatar Airways | SIN-DPS-SIN

22. Saudi Arabian Airlines | SIN-CGK-SIN

23. Sri Lankan | SIN-KUL-SIN

24. United Airlines | SIN-HKG-SIN

25. United Airlines | SIN-NRT-SIN

Soekarno-Hatta (CGK)

1. Cathay Pacific | CGK-SIN-CGK | 3 weekly | A333

2. China Airlines | CGK-HKG-CGK

3. Jetstar (Australia) | CGK-SIN-CGK

4. KLM | CGK-KUL-CGK

5. Kuwait Airways | CGK-KUL-CGK

6. Lufthansa | CGK-SIN-CGK

7. Philippine Airlines | CGK-SIN-CGK

8. Yemenia | KUL-CGK | *One way only as flight is a triangular SAH-DXB-KUL-CGK-DXB-SAH

9. Yemenia | CGK-DXB | *One way only as flight is a triangular SAH-DXB-KUL-CGK-DXB-SAH

Turkish Airlines flies SIN-CGK-SIN but with no traffic rights.

WO! It's MRU-KUL-PVG vv by the way. Since Air Zimbabwe was given the rights between KUL-PEK vv, I would like to believe that Air Mauritius will be given the same treatment to PVG as well. Thanks for the heads up Julius.

Just in!!!

Air Mauritius MRU-KUL-PVG! Although not sure they have traffic rights.

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1296077106.html

Oppss....wrong destination. Its PVG. You are welcome, Azizul.

I find it quite weird that Malaysia is giving out all these fifth freedom right to overseas airlines. Any particular reason for this?

Just saw MH big ads '6 flights a week direct to Kuala Lumpur' this morning on the body of Adelaide tram. Managed to snap a picture using my mobile but couldn't transfer to my laptop just yet.

Apparently not just ADL, a few other destinations get additional frequencies. From Jim Liu's blog. http://airlineroute.net/2011/01/17/mh-s11/ and http://airlineroute.net/2011/01/20/mh-hyd-s11/

Other Summer 2011 changes:

Kuala Lumpur – Adelaide eff 27MAR11 Increase from 4 to 6 weekly with schedule change (see post on 01DEC10)

Kuala Lumpur – Auckland eff 28MAR11 Increase from 5 to 6 weekly with schedule change (see post on 15NOV10)

Kuala Lumpur – Colombo eff 27MAR11 Increase from 5 weekly to Daily

Kuala Lumpur – Riyadh eff 03JUN11 NEW 3 weekly service. This route was to be launched in December 2010 but postponed (see post on 19NOV10)

Kuala Lumpur – Taipei eff 27MAR11 Increase from 13 to 14 weekly (see post on 23DEC10)

Kuala Lumpur - Hyderabad eff 28MAR11 Increase from 5 weekly to Daily

Good News for KUL. This is the main way forward for them, from here. Having said that, Hopefully Air Mauritius increase its frequency into KUL with this new tag on.