MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Andi C

Changi Airport Race

Tickets to be won to catch Changi Airport Race on Sep 5

Posted: 20 August 2009 2339 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Changi Airport Race, dubbed the race of a lifetime between a jetliner and a car, will take place on September 5.

A first in Asia, the race between a Jett8 Boeing 747 aircraft and a Porsche 911GT3 Carrera Cup will determine the speed king of the runaway. The race car is now on display at the airport's Terminal 3 Departure Hall.

Visitors can view the race car close up and experience the excitement ahead of the not-to-be-missed race. 200 grandstand tickets are available for those keen to experience the race on the tarmac of Changi Airport.

Members of the public have until August 31 to win tickets to watch the Changi Airport Race by spending a minimum of S$30 in a single receipt in Terminals 1, 2 or 3 to qualify for the lucky draw.

Besides the grandstand tickets, another 500 tickets will be available for an exclusive live screening of the race at the public area of Terminal 3.

Source: Channel News Asia

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/450104/1/.html

Now this is interesting!

I thought it would be something like the Red Bull type racing.

There was a similar race in Auckland, NZ a year or two ago. It was a Formula 3 race car versus an Air New Zealand Boeing 777-219ER

There was a similar race in Auckland, NZ a year or two ago. It was a Formula 3 race car versus an Air New Zealand Boeing 777-219ER

Who won?

My apologies, it is not an F3 car as stated by me earlier. It was meant to be an A1GP car, whatever that means.

That piece of old news can be found here:

Motorsport: Going faster than a Boeing

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10486792

Edited by S V Choong

The event was mainly for members of the Porsche club, lucky draw winners and various corporate guests. It's too small an event and was never meant to boost the economy as mentioned by someone above. The whole objective of this race was to be a prelude to the F1 race in Singapore later this month (now that's the real tourist and economy boosting event), as well as to celebrate the corporatisation of Changi Airport.

I was there this afternoon for the race. The actual race lasted less than a minute but guests were there from 12pm to 3pm. Quite a number of activities were planned in between, such as a cocktail event to unveil the new Porsche 911 GT3, live interviews with the driver and pilot, not to mention excellent grand stand views of various aircrafts taxiing past less than 20meters in front of you.

All in all, for Porsche lovers, it was a great event to get together with like-minded people; while aviation enthusiasts like myself were treated to the smell of jet fuel and seeing aircrafts really up close. Overall, a very enjoyable afternoon, albeit marred by the fact that I had forgotten to slap on my sunblock lotion.

Here are some pictures of the afternoon's event...

Samplings of stuff that Porsche enthusiasts came to the event for...

IMG_0059a.jpg

IMG_0039a.jpg

IMG_0009a.jpg

IMG_0028a.jpg

Samplings of stuff that aviation enthusiasts came for...

IMG_0017a.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0020a.jpg

IMG_0034a.jpg

IMG_0053a.jpg

"Members of the public have until August 31 to win tickets to watch the Changi Airport Race by spending a minimum of S$30 in a single receipt in Terminals 1, 2 or 3 to qualify for the lucky draw"

Well, it's all about spending to get qualify for the entry ticket. Someone maybe invited to join the event but think about those who spend a lot just to get a place for lucky draw, unless they are lucky by just one attempt.

As I know Singapore is a country full of this kind of activities with a lot of promotions to promote their country. If thinking out of the box, one may see this will be benefit for the economy in short term and more in the long terms.

Talk about the race, quoted from one forum:

"Even unladen, the 74F(Boeing 747-400 Freighter)will reach vR (rotation speed) at about 132 knots (depending on weight, atmospheric conditions, and lots of other factors) which is 244 kmh (151 mph). On a standard atmosphere day with a dry runway and zero freight, zero wind and no limitations, it'll take about 7000ft of runway (2133 M) to get a bare B74F airborne."

Where for the race car is a Porsche 911 GT3 Carrera Cup car:

Its top speed is affected by factors such as the setup, modifications and configurations done by racing teams to the car. In general, Cup cars can reach 280 km/h. It takes 3.4 seconds for a Porsche 911 GT3 Carrera Cup Car to go from 0 to 100km/h.

Although the top speed of the aircraft in the air is 900 km/h, I wonder is it set to full throttle during the race. Else with 1.7km race distance, by some simple math will show the result is indeed.

However, there are few activities which are enjoyable for those Porsche enthusiasts and aviation enthusiasts which I can't deny on it. :drinks:

Well, it's all about spending to get qualify for the entry ticket. Someone maybe invited to join the event but think about those who spend a lot just to get a place for lucky draw, unless they are lucky by just one attempt.

As I know Singapore is a country full of this kind of activities with a lot of promotions to promote their country. If thinking out of the box, one may see this will be benefit for the economy in short term and more in the long terms.

You are right. There's always some on-going effort being done by the government to boost the economy and tourism numbers. They know very well slapping a "Visit Singapore Year" decal on every SIA aircraft isn't going to do the trick. ;)

Sign in to follow this