MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Daniel Ng

Middle Eastern Airlines into KUL

I like that you can book direct on Emirates...all the way from KCH-MEL via KUL...RM1611...not that expensive right???

Oh, you can do that? 1611 one way?

Seems like with MH leaving Dubai market, KUL-DXB market will be dominated by EK. Does EK partners with MH? I believe both are sworn enemies after QF jumped onto the bed with EK, thus killing of the premium airline planned by MH-QF.

Rather surprising to find out that KCH is in the drop down menu. Not just KCH - BKI, PEN, JHB, LGK, MYY, SDK and AOR are also in it. I do not recall MH and EK code share on these destinations. (KBR, TGG, KUA, IPH, LBU, BTU, SBW and TWU are not in it).

I think this is another great innovation of EK - purchasing another airline's ticket (that it does not code share) to connect passengers to points where it serves.

To think of it, some airlines are even so stubbornly hesitant to include their longtime code share partners' flights in their booking system. So this is definitely a breakthrough.

Note 1:

MH codeshare partners with Middle Eastern carriers as at 1 December 2012 (operated by MH on behalf of the code share partners):

Etihad Airways - KUL to SIN, DPS, JHB, PEN, KUA, LGK, KCH, BKI

Gulf Air - KUL to BKK

Qatar Airways - KUL to PER, CGK, PEN, LGK

Royal Jordanian - KUL to BKK, HKT

p/s:

Since the system is intelligent enough to connect passengers from 8 airports in Malaysia other than KUL via KUL, I tried if it can connect some of the 8 airports to other point than KUL that EK also serves. Using SIN as the obvious replacement, the result is - it can be done!!! Flight from KCH to BNE (via KUL and SIN with MH and MI) can be booked directly at EK website. I did try to get KCH-SIN-CMB too but the system could not do it (all the results are showing KCH-KUL-DXB-CMB instead).

A point to note though, while it is doable, some of the city pairs may result in an incredibly high fares. Also, as in the case of KCH-BNE via SIN, I wonder why the system could not do KCH-SIN directly with MI rather than KCH-KUL-SIN with MH and MI. It could be too technical (my assumption is that EK does not interline with MI but SQ hence the MI flights which connects passengers from KUL to SIN are all using the SQ flights number but operated by MI but another question arises here MH code shares with MI on KCH-SIN so why it could not be done using MH code share flight number?) but they are definitely in the right direction and way ahead of any competitors involved in the routes.

Well, a certain syiok sendiri 5 star airlines tells us that it flies to hundreds of destinations in its inflight magazine route map. However, you can't book the vast majority of flights on its syiok sendiri website. Plus, the airline managers look stupid when other people look at their route map. Tak malu ke? Aiyoyoyo

Well, a certain syiok sendiri 5 star airlines tells us that it flies to hundreds of destinations in its inflight magazine route map. However, you can't book the vast majority of flights on its syiok sendiri website. Plus, the airline managers look stupid when other people look at their route map. Tak malu ke? Aiyoyoyo

guess what? their so called 'informative' FB page still mention they fly to 6 continents and to over 100 destinations last 2 weeks...it was not until i wrote on their wall and they got it changed! Never heard of attention to details i guess!

back to topic, its a great move for EK...i've always been a fan for the new flight timing ( QR has the same timing for ages)... you get off from the office at 5pm and straight to airport.. and arrive in KUL in the morning, maximize the whole day in KL.

Guest Michael

It is worrying how quickly the ME carriers are constantly expanding there must be endless supplies of cash for those carriers.

... you get off from the office at 5pm and straight to airport.. and arrive in KUL in the morning, maximize the whole day in KL.

Imho, desirabilty of that sort of red-eye 'maximize the whole day' at destination schedule is very much dependant on whether one is the type who is able to rest properly during the flight - whatever class of travel

If otherwise (like oneself), the following day will be a challenge to one's stamina at best, at worst ..... :)

Edited by BC Tam

I have never come across EK codesharing with any airlines but this time, they are pretty aggressive to tap into every market and even into Malaysian domestic market by allowing direct booking in their websites.

They have also brought in TP into KUL now.

guess what? their so called 'informative' FB page still mention they fly to 6 continents and to over 100 destinations last 2 weeks...it was not until i wrote on their wall and they got it changed! Never heard of attention to details i guess!

back to topic, its a great move for EK...i've always been a fan for the new flight timing ( QR has the same timing for ages)... you get off from the office at 5pm and straight to airport.. and arrive in KUL in the morning, maximize the whole day in KL.

The inflight magazine route map is the worst I had ever seen. Literally illegible. Really syiok sendiri!!!

6/19/2013 11:00:00 AM

Etihad Airways to launch double daily flights

Etihad

Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, will add a

new daily flight between Abu Dhabi and Kuala Lumpur to offer a double

daily service from July 15, 2013.

The new

schedule will add 1400 new seats per week to the route – an increase in

capacity of approximately 23 per cent. It will enable Etihad Airways to offer

better flight connections to its global network and to foster the growth of

tourism and trade.

Etihad

Airways’ President and Chief Executive Officer James Hogan said the new double

daily flights would cater for the already significant and growing demand for passenger

air travel and cargo between Malaysia and Abu Dhabi and beyond to the GCC, the

Middle East and Europe.

“We have

enjoyed strong support from business and leisure travellers at both ends of the

route. More than one million passengers have travelled with Etihad Airways to

and from Malaysia since the commencement of services in January 2007.

“The

airline’s new double daily schedule caters for the growing demand for travel

between Abu Dhabi and Malaysia and gives our guests a greater choice of travel times.

“Malaysian

travellers will enjoy shorter connection times in Abu Dhabi and more convenient

onward travel to Europe. Travellers from other points on Etihad Airways’

network will benefit from the extra daily frequency to Malaysia and improved

connections in Abu Dhabi.”

Mr Hogan

also highlighted the opportunities to grow business travel and trade as a

result of the increase in frequency and seat and cargo capacity.

“The

United Arab Emirates is Malaysia’s most important partner in the Gulf region with

trade increasing by approximately 20 per cent between 2011 and 2012. The extra

belly hold capacity of the double daily services will provide significant new

opportunities for the airline’s highly successful freight division, Etihad

Cargo.”

The

double daily flights will be operated by two Airbus A330-200 aircraft with a

two-class configuration of 18 seats in business class and 236 in economy class.

The aircraft will come into service through a dry lease arrangement with

partner airline, Jet Airways.

Etihad

Airways’ current codeshare agreement with Malaysia Airlines will be extended to

the extra daily service, providing seamless connectivity

beyond the airlines’ respective Abu Dhabi and Kuala Lumpur hubs.

http://www.etihad.com/en-ae/about-us/news/archive/2013/etihad-airways-to-launch-double-daily-flights-from-abu-dhabi-to-malaysia/?cid=soc-gen-facebook-190613doubledailykl

My guess that it will be an early morning departure from KUL..around 200am-ish..land at AUH around 5am++...in time for the morning departure wave...6am-8am...

It used to be 3 x daily.

are you sure.? ..the only 3x daily from GCC is Emirates..

MH announced resumption of service to DXB. This time daily using their aging 777.

I wonder how can they compete head on with EK with 3-4 daily flights on their brand new 380s and 777s?

Minor changes to EK's operation into KUL.

Change of aircraft for flight EK 344/345 from A332 to B773.

http://airlineroute.net/2013/06/28/ek-w13update5/

Reduction of service from 4 daily to 3 daily with flight EK 344/345 being the victim from 1 May 2014 until 20 July 2014 due to 80 days runway enhancement project at DXB.

http://airlineroute.net/2013/06/23/ek-s14update1/

No.

It's clearly being mentioned in the link.

How could a slot just being taken over by a competing airline for only 80 days?

MH is going to recommence DXB from 5 August 2013 i.e. next month. This EK temporary reduction is going to take place from 1 May 2014 i.e next year. So the argument that one airline is taking over the other's slot is futile as from 5 August 2013 until 1 May 2014, a period spanning 9 months, both airlines are competing side by side without having issues with slots in DXB.

So another new comer to KLIA is Iraqi Airways. Not sure when will be 1st flight. Information i get from MA (Sepang) FOC.

The news about Iraqi Airways wanted to fly into KUL has been going around since 2010 in this thread. Wow, pig can indeed flies! (Now hold on a second, kindly check your English literature proficiency before accusing me of insulting the Iraqis :p).