MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Daniel Ng

Middle Eastern Airlines into KUL

Seth...i know ur motivated and all...but repeating the same thing 3 times...is kinda overloading it eh... :p

Corrected now by Moderator...

OK, may be my bad people...........................I dunno I already say the same thingy, promise won't happen again :)

OK, may be my bad people...........................I dunno I already say the same thingy, promise won't happen again :)

No worries mate,

Everybody makes mistakes! :)

i never said the people of israel were terrorists....i have nothing against jews. they are also people of the book. what i meant was the the government of israel was propagating violence, and is no different to any other terrorist organisation in their tactics.

read up on history young 'uns......life is not just about looking at airplanes.

think about all the people suffering at the hands of oppression and violence...and that also includes israeli citizens for those who require detailed explanations...

i will not say anymore...! sorry for going off in a tangent!

i never said the people of israel were terrorists....i have nothing against jews. they are also people of the book. what i meant was the the government of israel was propagating violence, and is no different to any other terrorist organisation in their tactics.

read up on history young 'uns......life is not just about looking at airplanes.

think about all the people suffering at the hands of oppression and violence...and that also includes israeli citizens for those who require detailed explanations...

i will not say anymore...! sorry for going off in a tangent!

AMBOI! Macamlaaa hang nie tua sangat... (he knows what i mean)... :lol: :lol:

Mana milo bro...!! :o :o

You're absolutely right bro....nothing wrong in what you said...but..erm..lets leave the subject for now...we can chit chat about it someplace else.

Eithad to KUL...its gonna be a big challenge for them to penetrate the Malaysian market especially since Emirates has an EXTREMELY strong presence in Malaysia...not to mention that Etihad currently have higher overhead costs than EK...surprising isn't it...

So if EY is due to penetrate the KUL market...they're gonna have to work bloody hard to overthrow the EK regime!

hopefully Eithad fly to Kul..Btw guys how abt Egypt Air..Any chances of them flying into Kul...????

I'm sure Egypt is a destination where it's a must visit..desert and pyramids..??

Eithad to KUL...its gonna be a big challenge for them to penetrate the Malaysian market especially since Emirates has an EXTREMELY strong presence in Malaysia...not to mention that Etihad currently have higher overhead costs than EK...surprising isn't it...

So if EY is due to penetrate the KUL market...they're gonna have to work bloody hard to overthrow the EK regime!

Well, EY can concentratres on the high-yielding passengers. EY seems to have a much better C seat !

haha...imran my man.... i'm at least 8 years older than u!

well....when it gets to my palestinian brothers... i get a bit emotional!

i know of quite a few palestinians in the uk...i sympathise with the things they had to go thro'..

i'm sorry if i have offended anyone in this forum...but my views still stand firm.

on a lighter note.....lets see EY, WY and RJ in KUL.

gulf air's smart move to fly from KUL-MCT nonstop has effectively blocked WY chances of taking over that route.

they used to codeshare on KUL-BKK-MCT....is that still to continue?

Hello! This is an idea Imran and I discussed a couple of weeks ago :) and I had forgotten it until now! But! I remembered!

Talk about anything that's developing in the middle east from Jebel Ali to Doha's New Airport, Emirates - Iran Air - Air Egypt and everything in between!

So Imran! Let's kick off this thread with some EK news :D MANA EK? - SINIADA!

I got this from CAPA, but the original news was reported in the Australian:

Emirates confirmed the following configurations for 45 A380s on order (The Australian, 03-Nov-06):

Long haul routes, such as Dubai-Sydney: 489 seats in a three class configuration;

Eight-hour routes, such as Dubai-London: 540 seats in a three class configuration;

Short/Medium haul, such as India: 644 seats in a two class configuration. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Edited by Sandeep G

Emirates Profit Rises, Offsets Fuel Costs

November 6, 2006

Emirates said first-half profit rose 29 percent after the Dubai government-owned company offset higher fuel costs by carrying more passengers and cargo.

Net income in the six months to September 30 climbed to USD$323 million, compared with USD$251 million in the year-earlier period, Emirates said in a statement. Operating revenue rose 30 percent to USD$3.67 billion, it said.

"Emirates has been in a strong position to tap into the robust demand for air travel globally by expanding its route network with new high-capacity aircraft," Emirates Chairman Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed al-Maktoum was quoted as saying in the statement.

Emirates is banking on long-range, high-capacity aircraft to tap passenger and cargo traffic from as far away as east Asia and North America through its hub in Dubai to compete with global carriers including Qantas and Singapore Airlines.

The International Air Transport Association has said Middle East passenger traffic in the first nine months of the year rose 15.4 percent, the fastest of the world's regions.

The number of passengers Emirates carried in the first six months rose 20 percent to 8.39 million, compared with 6.98 million in the year-earlier period. Passenger revenue rose 31 percent and load factor to 76.4 percent, it said, without giving comparisons.

Fuel costs climbed above USD$1 billion, equivalent to 30.7 percent of total operating costs, without giving a comparison. Revenue from cargo operations rose 29 percent to 2.7 billion dirhams (USD$735.1 million).

The world's airlines will cut their combined losses this year by half to USD$1.7 billion, offsetting a 26 percent increase in fuel costs by raising passenger load factors, and on higher passenger and cargo demand, according to IATA.

(Reuters)

Edited by Sandeep G

644 in 2 classes? I'd hate to imagine what happens when the airport has only one typical aerobridge and the flight is full-house... :blink: :blink: :blink: I daresay it'll be complete chaos!

Heya guys...i stumbled upon this article a few hours ago...and thought it would be quite an interesting read (for me especially as the family business has turned towards private aviation).

Private charter Elite Jets starts flying from Dubai

source = Al Bayan Lil Emarat (translated into English by myself :lol: )

A new firm serving as the exclusive Middle East sales agent for American business jet manufacturer Raytheon has begun charter flight service out of Dubai Airport's new VIP terminal.

Elite Jets will go nose to nose with Dubai-based Execujet, Abu Dhabi-headquartered Royal Jet, and Netjets based in Saudi Arabia to serve the growing field of business and luxury travel to Europe, Africa, the Middle East and South Asia.

The Middle East private jet industry, including sales, chartering maintenance and other services is worth $500 million annually, according to the Middle East Business Aviation Association. MEBAA estimates the industry has been growing at a 10 to 15 per cent clip for the past two to three years. The growth has been recognised and facilitated by the spread of new executive jet terminals in the region. Alison Weller, director of Fairs & Exhibitions, which runs the Middle East Business Aviation conference as well as the Dubai Airshow.

"This form of transportation has been recognised by governments as a tool for expansion," Weller said. "Business aviation can really help them achieve that."

Last month, Elite Jets concluded its third sale of the year, a $15 million Hawker 850 XP from Raytheon with delivery expected to deliver in mid-December, said its CEO, Paras Dhamecha.

National Airways Corp. and Dubai-based JML Investment Group founded Elite Jets in 2004, and later that year received its airline operator's licence from the Dubai Department of Civil Aviation (DCA).

The firm will employ a fleet of three aircraft for its charter service, comprising two Hawker 850s and a Hawker 1000. For its sales operations the company offers a range of six Hawker and Beechcraft planes from Raytheon ranging in price from $4 million to $22 million.

In addition to local carriers, some 25 charter companies headquartered in Europe, the former CIS and Asia also fly to Dubai Airport, according to the DCA.

Heya guys...EK Skycargo has just started a new route!

Emirates SkyCargo has started a service to Barcelona. Direct flights will run twice a week on an Airbus A310 Freighter, offering a payload capacity of 39 tonnes. As well as straight imports and exports, Emirates anticipates the service will pick up transit freight from the Far East, Africa and the Indian Subcontinent.

Credits to daddy. :D

Today's news headlines from the MiddleEast:

-Bank of China and Dubai Aerospace Enterprise are among companies reportedly expected to bid to acquire Singapore Aircraft Leasing Enterprise (SALE), with a sale possible in 1Q07 (South China Morning Post, 13-Nov-06). Singapore Airlines and German bank, WestLB, own 35.5% each, while Temasek Holdings and GIC, both Singapore Government investment funds, own 14.5% each of SALE.

-Airblue signed (13-Nov-06) a firm contract for two A320s and is in negotiations for four more. The carrier operates six A320 family aircraft. [more]

-Airbus confirmed (13-Nov-06) it signed a firm contract with Kuwait-based Aviation Lease and Finance Company for six A320 aircraft. [more]

-Dubai Mercantile Exchange (DME) announced plans to form a study group, including Middle East carriers, to develop jet fuel futures contracts (Bahrain Tribune, 09-Nov-06). DME signed an MoU with Emirates National Oil Company to develop a jet fuel futures contract in Sep-06, to be traded on the DME by early 2007 and operated by a joint working group.

-Indian Government confirmed the limited 'open skies' period would be effective between 15-Nov-06 and 31-Jan-07 (Hindu Business Line, 13-Nov-06).

-SriLankan Airlines announced plans to launch Colombo-Jeddah service in 2006, its third destination in Saudi Arabia after Riyadh and Dammam, subject to regulatory approval (Dow Jones, 13-Nov-06). The carrier also plans to increase frequency to Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Doha and Bahrain over the next few weeks.

-Saudi Arabian Airlines announced plans to increase Riyadh-London service from four to seven times weekly in 2007 (Reuters, 12-Nov-06).

Edited by Sandeep G

Industry quicktakes: 15th November 2006

Source: CAPA

Etihad Airways announced (12-Nov-06) plans to launch Abu Dhabi-Tehran service on 02-Dec-06

El Al cancelled options to purchase ten B787 aircraft, scheduled for delivery between 2012 and 2013 (MarketWatch, 14-Nov-06). The carrier will look at ordering alternative aircraft from both Boeing and Airbus “according to the company's needs and business strategy".

So a minor setback for the 787 programme from a customer that one would not have expected it to come from - the Israelis!!!

Emirates remains bullish on growth

Monday December 11, 2006

Emirates Executive Vice Chairman Maurice Flanagan remains imperturbably upbeat despite the challenges facing the global air transport industry.

Bucking all recent trends, including fuel price increases that have pushed the fuel element of total airline costs from 13% five years ago to 30% today, the Dubai-based carrier continues its seemingly inexorable progress on the path to growth and increased profits.

Speaking recently at the Future of Air Transport conference, Flanagan said the pace of Emirates' growth is so rapid that it is "chronically short of capacity at present [and] constrained at the moment by not having enough aircraft." But he stressed this is not a bad thing. In fact, capacity shortages always should be a problem for a successful airline: "We actually believe that we will have too little rather than too much capacity. That is the way to profitability." The Middle East currently accounts for 70% of all long-haul aircraft orders and Emirates' $33 billion order book "will more than double our all-widebody fleet," he said.

He pointed out that the catchment population within 8 hr. flying time of Dubai is currently 5.5 billion and is projected by the UN to increase to 7.8 billion by 2050. Within a 16-hr. radius the figure rises to 6.3 billion and is projected to grow to 9 billion by 2050. "If just 10% of the population in this expanded area travel by air, and 20% of that fly via Gulf hubs, then Gulf operators will have a potential customer base of 180 million in 2050," Flanagan said.

But he stressed that no carrier should "do things just because other airlines are doing them." On the issue of alliances, for example, Emirates specifically has avoided joining the club. "Alliances mean you have to compromise systems and services to the alliance," he said, insisting this is something Emirates is not prepared to do. "You need to establish a clear business case to join an alliance. You don't need one not to join an alliance. We have no business case to join one, and we don't need to."

by Anne Paylor

Source: ATW Online 12-Dec-06

A380 costs, delays causing headaches at Emirates

Thursday March 15, 2007

Emirates President Tim Clark told ATWOnline last week in Berlin that the operating costs of its A380 fleet will be higher than originally planned.

"There are still an extra six tons of weight we can't get out of the A380. That will cost us extra money in operation for the next 10 or 15 years," Clark said.

Emirates' 45 A380s, which constitute a $15 billion investment, each should generate $200 million for the airline annually. The weight issues are compounded by the money EK is losing because of the program's delay. "We will get our first A380 in August 2008, 21 months later then scheduled," Clark said. "By that time we should have had 18 A380s already in service, with each vehicle flying 15 hours a day and transporting 500-600 passengers. If you count that together, it is a lot of money." He did not estimate the expected costs of either the operational issues or the delay.

He did say that EK and Airbus are nearing a delay compensation agreement; "We are too important for them, and they don't want us leaving for Boeing." He said a Boeing sales team was in Dubai about two weeks ago to discuss the 747-8 Intercontinental, which Clark said he likes but which would not be able to fulfill certain missions important to the carrier, like nonstop Dubai-Los Angeles service with 400 passengers and a full cargo payload. He also said Airbus will present its final A350 XWB version to EK next month

Thursday March 15, 2007

Air Arabia reported a 2006 full-year profit of AED101 million ($27.5 million), more than three times the AED31.3 million earned in 2005. Revenue soared 82% to AED749.2 million and passenger numbers grew 54% to 1.8 million. Load factor was 81.2%. The airline has submitted its application to United Arab Emirates authorities to launch an IPO this quarter. :good:

Separately, Air Arabia launched thrice-weekly Sharjah-Karachi service and twice-weekly Sharjah-Peshawar flights. Each service adds one frequency from April 3.

There has been an interesting development recently with the Middle Eastern carriers and their operation in Malaysia, in line with the upcoming summer season in the region:

gulf_air_logo.jpg

We will begin with the most shocking news of them all, which is the sudden cancellation of the long term lease agreement of 4 Boeing 777-300 ERs of India's Jet Airways (9W) by Gulf Air (GF), weeks after the Bahraini flag carrier announced that the ultra modern and wonderfully fitted Jet aircrafts will serve KUL (GF is currently serving KUL 5 times weekly with the B77W aircraft leased from 9W). Initially, GF signed an agreement with 9W to wetlease the 4 aircrafts for 6 months before converting the lease agreement to drylease for another 3 years. However, the drylease agreement has been cancelled ultimately.

To think of it, GF had painted the 3 leased B77W in their Golden Falcon livery, but to use it for just 6 months? I think there has been some serious bad decision makings done by someone.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=248588" target="_blank">http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails...?storyid=248588

Qatar_Airways_Logo.jpg

Moving along, a good news to KUL, Qatar Airways (QR) is going to increase their service to KUL from the present 7 weekly to 11 weekly beginning 1 July 2009, with a combination of 4 weekly 2 class A333 and a daily 2 class A332. However, the current tag-on to Denpasar, Bali (DPS) will be ceased beginning 1 January 2010. DPS will be paired with SIN from then onwards.

etihad_airways_logo.png

Another good news to KUL, although pretty minor, Etihad Airways (EY)’s flights from Abu Dhabi to Kuala Lumpur will increase from six flights a week to daily beginning Sunday March 29.

http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/etihad/global/en/aboutetihad/mediacenter/newslisting/newsdetails/Pages/Etihadtolaunchexpandedsummerschedule.aspx?fromNewsListing=true" target="_blank">http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/etihad/...ewsListing=true

emirates_logo2.gif

Perhaps the best news to KUL is when Emirates Airline (EK) announced that KUL will be increased from the current 12 weekly to double daily flights from 1 May 2009, and come February 2010, EK will increase its flight into KUL to 17 per week! And if that news is not good enough, EK will upgrade the equipment (of 4 of the 14 weekly flights) into KUL from the current 2 class Boeing 777-300 ER to a 3 class aircraft of the same variant.

Emirates Airline is bridging the Middle East and Far East – two regions that continue to record healthy growth rates – with its announcement of double-daily services from Dubai to Kuala Lumpur effective 1st May 2009.

Emirates will add two flights to its existing 12 flights-a-week service, bringing the total to 14 flights a week. This development is strengthened with the introduction of First Class cabin service on four of the 14 weekly flights to Kuala Lumpur, underscoring Malaysia’s importance in Emirates’ Far East network. Also, the UAE is one of Malaysia’s top trading partners. The country’s total trade with the UAE in 2008 amounted to USD 4.5 billion – an increase of 45.7% over the previous year.

The start of a three-class service will cater to increased tourist arrivals from the Middle East to Malaysia during June – September holiday season. The service will be available on EK342/343 on Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays, and on EK 346/347 on Sundays. Cargo capacity will increase by 17% post expansion.

EK342 will depart Dubai every Wednesday at 10:30 hours, arriving in Kuala Lumpur at 21:35 hours. Return flight EK 343 will depart Kuala Lumpur the following morning at 02:00 hours, arriving in Dubai at 04:50 hours.

EK346 will depart Dubai every Sunday at 03:15 hours, arriving in Kuala Lumpur at 14:15 hours. It will turnaround as EK347, taking off from Kuala Lumpur at 19:30 hours and arriving in Dubai at 22:20 hours. Also effective 1st May, the existing EK343 and EK347 flight schedules have been revised.

http://www.emirates.com/sa/English/about/news/news_detail.aspx?article=429947" target="_blank">http://www.emirates.com/sa/English/about/n...?article=429947

Footnote: As a comparison, SQ launched RUH (via DXB) and KWI (via AUH) recently, along with their current Middle East stations; JED, CAI, DXB and AUH. For those who are in Facebook, I am sure most of you are aware about the recent shoutout by Mr. Azran Osman-Rani and Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes about D7 soon to be launched service to the Middle East. It seems that all airlines involved are expanding, except MH. MH remain static with their Middle Eastern network - 3 weekly KUL-DXB-BEY, 2 weekly KUL-KHI-DXB and 2 weekly KUL-DXB-IST, most of which will be served by the infamous MH's fitted A333. Why?

Moving forward, I hope this thread will be used to share news and discussion about Middle Eastern carriers and their operation in Malaysia.

Excuse me Louis, but I think EK 346 is a flight number (the one paired with EK 347, which used to continue on to CGK from KUL and back). I assumed you thought it was an EK Airbus 340-600 (a fascinating object to spot)? EK don't have that type of aircraft in their fleet. EY and QR have (QR hated them).

Interesting that MH's DXB op is really falling behind compared with EK in terms of frequency and hardware. Wondering how that route performs...

Interesting that MH's DXB op is really falling behind compared with EK in terms of frequency and hardware. Wondering how that route performs...

Because EK offer KUL>DXB>somewhere while MH operate from point to point. Try to fly EK to DXB, if you arrive at the terminal via bus, 99% of the pax would head to the left side for transit. Witnessed this 7 times already :pardon: and of course there are other advantages flying EK, better service, real 5 star service, cheaper, etc etc.

Great news nonetheless for KLIA, F to KUL? Something my dad would be happy about.

Edited by Seth K

Because EK offer KUL>DXB>somewhere while MH operate from point to point. Try to fly EK to DXB, if you arrive at the terminal via bus, 99% of the pax would head to the left side for transit. Witnessed this 7 times already :pardon: and of course there are other advantages flying EK, better service, real 5 star service, cheaper, etc etc.

Great news nonetheless for KLIA, F to KUL? Something my dad would be happy about.

Dubai, like Changi.

At the lower end, there's D7 to breathe down MH's neck. At the mid to upper end, there has always been the legacies, SQ, TG, CX et al, and now you have the QR, EK, EY.

MH sure is facing some competition, and it is not doing much to fight back. A poor product to the Mid-east does not help, and now everybody has more option to Europe and beyond via the Middle East.