MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Li Ren

Jetpod crashes on test flight, killing pilot

Wesley, you sounds like an insider to the project.

Do you have any picture of the Jetpod that you can share with us? Or if you have a nice picture, you can share with the world thru A.net and JP.

Thanks.

Wesley, you sounds like an insider to the project.

Do you have any picture of the Jetpod that you can share with us? Or if you have a nice picture, you can share with the world thru A.net and JP.

Thanks.

Haha, I also wish I can involve in such a great project. Just I'm working at TPM and got to know the project from my friends.

Unless they wanna hire some expert for aircraft computering system then maybe I can help on it.

what are the guidelines for experimental aircraft in Malaysia ?

No need for prior DCA approval ?

I'm surprised , that in our time & day , that no proper simulation was done first , and this aircraft was flown without knowing whether it would fly or not , kinda strange right

Like building an aircraft not knowing if it would fly or not .

Whatever it is , I doubt that we're ever going to see the report on it , seeing that , prior to this we had no idea of this development in Malaysia

They conducted the test flight in Taiping is because it is the most suitable place to do the test flight if compare to other airfield in Malaysia. Imagine if they do the test flight in Sg.Besi airport and crash into ground. What will happen to the residents?

What about LGK? Longer runway, less traffic, facing sea. If Mr. Dacre has landed on sea, he might have survived the crash.

By the way, the project is funded by investors from oversea and UK govt.

Believe a condition of British Government funded projects is to base in Britain especially if the project involved R&D. Understand Mr. Dacre tried very hard to attract investor to his company. Wonder who are the major shareholders of Avcen?

Sorry to be harsh as has met far too many con-sultan :angry:

:drinks:

What about LGK? Longer runway, less traffic, facing sea. If Mr. Dacre has landed on sea, he might have survived the crash.

Believe a condition of British Government funded projects is to base in Britain especially if the project involved R&D. Understand Mr. Dacre tried very hard to attract investor to his company. Wonder who are the major shareholders of Avcen?

Sorry to be harsh as has met far too many con-sultan :angry:

For every decision made, there must be a reason behind.

LGK, it is a good idea.But 1st come to my head is how to ship the Jetpod there? Looking for additional cost to do the shipping?

Is it really matter who is the shareholder? For me, as long as it can help to develope local industry and bring a lot of benefits to our country in education and R&D. I will show my full support(morally) and respect on it. Also appreciate those who sacrificed their time, hardwork and even their life in this project. It will be the 1st Malaysia's aircraft in that category if success.

Gosh..I wish the project will continue to move on...

For every decision made, there must be a reason behind.

LGK, it is a good idea.But 1st come to my head is how to ship the Jetpod there? Looking for additional cost to do the shipping?

Is it really matter who is the shareholder? For me, as long as it can help to develope local industry and bring a lot of benefits to our country in education and R&D. I will show my full support(morally) and respect on it. Also appreciate those who sacrificed their time, hardwork and even their life in this project. It will be the 1st Malaysia's aircraft in that category if success.

Gosh..I wish the project will continue to move on...

that reminds me of Apollo tragedy killing all three while doing testing...

Let's just hope the dream goes on.. I mean someone/group/team to follow up on the R&D and not to result in deserting the whole idea altogether. And when it is succesful one day which i know it can be done, Mr. Dacre effort and dreams can be honored and remembered.I'm sure the investors won't want their investment down the drain right?

Crashing into the sea does not guarantee survival - remember those parachutists training for LIMA some years ago?

With enough power, even a brick can fly. Believe controlled and safe landing is more crucial.

Find Jetpod is similar in size to Hondajet HA-420 but perform exceedingly better. Hope the project is financial and technical feasible, design is not lost with Mr. Dacre, and the other shareholders will build the 2nd prototype.

Picked from The Star :

Jetpod flight plan not filed

By RASLAN BAHARON

TAIPING: No flight plan was filed for the maiden test flight of the Jetpod which crashed at the Tekah airstrip here on Sunday, killing its inventor Michael Robert Dacre.

The Civil Aviation Department said the test flight was not registered in the Civil Aircraft Register.

Any aircraft flight in Malaysia must comply with the Civil Aviation Act 1969 and Civil Aviation Regulations 1996,’’ DCA director general Datuk Azharuddin Abd Rahman said in a statement yesterday.

On Sunday, a prototype of a “flying taxi” belonging to British company Avcen Ltd crashed and burst into flames during a test flight at the Tekah airstrip.

Dacre died in the incident after suffering severe burns and injuries.

Meanwhile, the police here was never consulted over the test flight.

Taiping deputy OCPD Superintent Syed A. Wahab Syed A. Majid said since the airstrip was surrounded by housing schemes, advice from the police should have been sought.

“Although we are not empowered to approve or disapprove the maiden test flight, we would have studied the matter and given our views because we must also think about the safety of civilians in the vicinity,” he said.

MCA vice chairman Datuk Ho Cheng Wang said the Tekah airstrip was no longer surrounded by jungles as in the old days.

“The airstrip is now surrounded by housing estates and who is going to be responsible had the plane crashed into some houses in the vicinity?” he asked.

The airstrip is not suitable for conducting test flights and the Civil Aviation Department should take action.

Meanwhile, Dacre’s body remained unclaimed at the Taiping Hospital.

Supt Syed A. Wahab said the body would be released to a representative of the British High Commission soonest possible.

He said a pathologist had sent tissue samples for a DNA test but the cause of death had yet to be ascertained.

When contacted, a British High Commission spokesman said the necessary consular assistance would be provided to the victim’s family.

Published: Sunday August 16, 2009 MYT 4:22:00 PM

Updated: Sunday August 16, 2009 MYT 8:20:18 PM

Flying taxi crashes on test flight, killing its UK inventor (Update 2)

By RASLAN BAHAROM

TAIPING: Newly-assembled aircraft Jetpod, by the British-based Avcen Ltd, crashed and burst into a ball of fire during a test flight from Tekah airstrip near here, killing its inventor Michael Robert Dacre, 53, who was piloting the aircraft.

The crash happened at 12.30pm Sunday. Dacre is also Avcen's managing director.

Avcen Limited Malaysia is based at Patimas Technology Centre, Technology Park, Bukit Jalil, Kuala Lumpur and Dacre had intended for the 8-seater flying taxi to be ready in 2010.

Taiping deputy police chief Supt Syed Abdul Wahab Abdul Majid said Dacre suffered severe burns and injuries and died at the scene.

The incident was witnessed by many residents, including retired soldier, Halim Hamid, 50, who lives in nearby Taman Saujana Jaya.

He said he was scooping shrimps to feed his pet fish at a disused pond about 50 metres from where the jet had crashed.

“Earlier, I saw it going down the runaway three times but it could not take off.

“However, on the fourth run, the jet took off into the air but at about 200 metres high, it shot vertically to the sky before veering to its left and then falling to the ground,” he said.

There was a loud explosion when it crashed but firemen who were at the scene managed to put out the blaze, he said.

Halim said the jet had been earlier transported in parts in a container to the airstrip about a week ago before it was assembled.

Police personnel at the scene were seen collecting the pilot’s burnt, dismembered limbs from the wreckage before sending his remains to the Taiping Hospital.

Some of the residents said a co-pilot had wanted to accompany the deceased on the test flight but Dacre decided to fly alone.

Several Royal Malaysian Air Force personnel were at the scene to check the wreckage.

Meanwhile, Bernama quoted Taiping Fire and Rescue senior operations officer Mohd Sobri Abdullah as saying that the fire and rescue personnel had been stationed at the airstrip since 8.30am on the request of the company.

He said the plane was at an altitude of 200 metres when it suddenly plunged to the ground and erupted into a ball of fire.

The fire and rescue personnel present provided emergency response but were unable to save the victim, he said, adding that investigations had commenced to determine the cause of the crash.

According to Wikipedia Jetpod is a design proposal for a very quiet aircraft that can take off and land in short distances (STOL), developed by Avcen Limited, a company formed in 1998 to promote development of the Jetpod.

A number of applications have been proposed, including as a military transport, an executive transport, and as a short to medium-range air taxi.

According to Avcen's publicity materials, the Jetpod's maximum speed is 550 km/h (350 mph, 300 knots).

It would need only 125 meters (135 yards) to take-off or land, allowing runways to be constructed close to the center of major cities, and would be sufficiently quiet to not be noticeable above city traffic.

The trip from Heathrow Airport to central London would take about 4 minutes and cost about $100.

No flight plan was filed for the maiden test flight of the Jetpod which crashed at the Tekah airstrip here on Sunday, killing its inventor Michael Robert Dacre.

This sentence is pretty puzzled and annoying people. When I first read the Thestar online news, it stated "experimental flight" but now, changed to "Maiden Test Flight". I believed from the view of aerospace industry, experimental flight means a lot than a word of maiden flight.

The Civil Aviation Department said the test flight was not registered in the Civil Aircraft Register.

“Any aircraft flight in Malaysia must comply with the Civil Aviation Act 1969 and Civil Aviation Regulations 1996,’’ DCA director general Datuk Azharuddin Abd Rahman said in a statement yesterday.

I am wondering if this aircraft is used for flight practising, like a helicopter practising hover and lift and hover. Is this kind of flight need permit? What about those experimenting the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle(UAV)? Do they need registration also?

It seems many authorities start giving comments before the company make any explaination to outside.

I am very surprised that why people focus on this company doing test quietly? This is kind of technology development, do we ever think of the high competitive market? Is there any company really willing to show their developing product to competitor?

Or we just want to satisfy our curiousity only?

P/S: If an aircraft is not enter into service, i don't think there is a aircraft registration number required. Aircraft registration like in Malaysia start with 9M (if not mistaken) is for service not for other purpose. Someone brought out the instance of Airbus experimental project with code of AXX. Well, it is good example but that is Airbus. Different Airframer has different standard. We should jump out of the box which restricted to Airbus and Boeing only. There are many airframers in the world!

Meanwhile, the police here was never consulted over the test flight.

Taiping deputy OCPD Superintent Syed A. Wahab Syed A. Majid said since the airstrip was surrounded by housing schemes, advice from the police should have been sought.

It is kind of funny that if the Fire team is stationed there since the morning, why Police not aware of it? Do they have no information exchange or something has cover? And is that company really never file to DCA? I suspected that if this company has record in the MIGHT why DCA not aware of them?

I found this company has profile in MIGHT. Please google it.

“The airstrip is now surrounded by housing estates and who is going to be responsible had the plane crashed into some houses in the vicinity?” he asked.

The airstrip is not suitable for conducting test flights and the Civil Aviation Department should take action.

Meanwhile, Dacre’s body remained unclaimed at the Taiping Hospital.

Again, we don't know are they (this company) going to do flight or something else? What I would do but not the authorities is waiting the press conference or annoucement from the company.

With enough power, even a brick can fly. Believe controlled and safe landing is more crucial.

Find Jetpod is similar in size to Hondajet HA-420 but perform exceedingly better. Hope the project is financial and technical feasible, design is not lost with Mr. Dacre, and the other shareholders will build the 2nd prototype.

With a enough power, it is not fly, it is lift!!! Think about fly and lift. Is rocket fly to space or lift?

What I would say it is a breakthrough for Malaysia in aerospace industry. No one like to see this project down.

A search on the net will reveal Avcen had advertised on the net for investors and jetpod was reported by almost all major news agencies since 2004. Hence, the project is not a secret.

Curious to know if the proof of concept work, why this project was not taken up by established aerospace company or similar design is tested by competitors?

A search on the net will reveal Avcen had advertised on the net for investors and jetpod was reported by almost all major news agencies since 2004. Hence, the project is not a secret.

Curious to know if the proof of concept work, why this project was not taken up by established aerospace company or similar design is tested by competitors?

Is this flight called proof of concept? Well, from what the media reports, this company is an airframer, no doubt, if it is, why this project must be taken up by other aerospace company?

It makes me think of airbus to acquire boeing project, sounds weird to me. Perhaps, please elaborate more of your curiousity? :)

Edited by cklee

Or we just want to satisfy our curiousity only?

Realistically, that would well be the best one can hope for from a public discussion forum, no ? :)

Realistically, that would well be the best one can hope for from a public discussion forum, no ? :)

You are right too. :rolleyes:

I was just very upset that the chines newspapers created a lot of joke. One quoted the pilot is CEO of the Patimas Technology Center, one quoted Pacimas ???

The english and well recognized magazine like globalflight do the good reporting relative to the local chinese newspaper.

Is this flight called proof of concept? Well, from what the media reports, this company is an airframer, no doubt, if it is, why this project must be taken up by other aerospace company?

It makes me think of airbus to acquire boeing project, sounds weird to me. Perhaps, please elaborate more of your curiousity? :)

Yup, Agreed with that.

As we know, Avcen is the "Creator and Maker of Jetpod".

I don't think anyone will release their hardwork and IP to the competitors.

Avcen is a small company without production facility or sales, is not a competitor to any established aerospace company. If the Jetpod concept work will save millions in R&D and if financially feasible, established aerospace companies will buy out Avcen before anyone in Malaysia learn about it.

Avcen is a small company without production facility or sales, is not a competitor to any established aerospace company. If the Jetpod concept work will save millions in R&D and if financially feasible, established aerospace companies will buy out Avcen before anyone in Malaysia learn about it.

I would say Avcen is a new set up company. Certainly, it has potential competitor in the aerospace market. It is not about the size of the company but it is about the technology and patent.

I would stand with you on buy this company to continue to develop the same concept. Probably, you, KK Lee, a travelling businessman would think about it then Malaysia Aerospace Industry could move forward.

Cheers~~ :D

I would say Avcen is a new set up company. Certainly, it has potential competitor in the aerospace market. It is not about the size of the company but it is about the technology and patent.

I would stand with you on buy this company to continue to develop the same concept. Probably, you, KK Lee, a travelling businessman would think about it then Malaysia Aerospace Industry could move forward.

Cheers~~ :D

Avcen had advertised on the net for investors since 2004, pretty sure a number of established aerospace companies and VC had reviewed the concept, technology and feasibility. If none of these companies from US, Europe or Japan take up position in the company or license the technology, not too sure how viable it is.

Avcen had advertised on the net for investors since 2004, pretty sure a number of established aerospace companies and VC had reviewed the concept, technology and feasibility. If none of these companies from US, Europe or Japan take up position in the company or license the technology, not too sure how viable it is.

Precisely. This relates to my previous posting. I've come across many cases where locals got suckered into investing in foreign-originated 'non-starters'. Dunno about Avcen, but the fact that 'testing' was done here points to some local interest. Maybe the deceased wanted to demo it to potential investors, but for him to move here meant there could already be local money put in.

A British guy once tried to interest me in a single-engined jet commuter plane 3 years ago in the RAC Club in Pall Mall. After much thot, I declined, and now it's a dead idea. Happens all the time in the investor community, where focus is on making money, not technology or coolness. We have seen it all before. :)

Well the British are an inventive lot but they lack the capital and commercial talent to market their inventions. Some of the best British inventions (jet engine, TV, mobile phone), we take for granted today!

Precisely. This relates to my previous posting. I've come across many cases where locals got suckered into investing in foreign-originated 'non-starters'.

Didnt Khazanah invested in British Aerospace's RJ division some 8 to 10 yrs ago? Suckered big time!

Well the British are an inventive lot but they lack the capital and commercial talent to market their inventions. Some of the best British inventions (jet engine, TV, mobile phone), we take for granted today!

Nah, can't say that sounds too correct - the dosh (and system) is there available for R&D, marketing etc

Perhaps they are a bit more discerning as to viability of a programme before dishing out assistance ;)

Incidentally, noticed those Trents hanging under wings of T7's and 380's recently ?

Pretty successful British engineering and marketing eh ? :)

Sign in to follow this