MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

News About Sultan Azlan Shah Airport, Ipoh

Agree. IPH-KUL or IPH-SZB could be viable with small commuter airlines but not with a larger jets. Not at this moment, at least.

Even when MH was operating IPH-KUL, during he last few years, most of the passengers are transit passengers, at least by looking at their baggage tags.

So maybe part of the renovations will be done to enable CIQ facilities so that it can be called an International Airport.

I think IPH has been serving Indonesia's Kartika Airlines from MES for years before the airline stop flying into the airport. So CIQ facility has been in place.

Firefly To Have 7 Flights Weekly For Ipoh-Singapore Route

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 21 (Bernama) -- Firefly Airlines will further expand its Ipoh-Singapore service by offering daily flights between the two cities from beginning next month.

Currently operating four times weekly, the move will increase the flight frequency between the two cities to seven flights weekly.

"We are confident that these new flights will serve to stimulate more travel and growth prospects between Ipoh and Singapore," Angelina Fernandez, head of marketing and communications for Firefly, said in a statement on Friday.

Firefly is offering an all inclusive one-way ticket for RM88 for the route and the travelling time is about one hour and 20 minutes.

-- BERNAMA

Source: http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsbusiness.php?id=434832

RM60mil approved to upgrade Sultan Azlan Shah airport

IPOH: Work on extending the Sultan Azlan Shah Airport runway and upgrading the terminal building will start next year.

Second Finance Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah said the Cabinet had approved RM60mil for the two projects.

He said the runway could now be extended by 200m from the present 1.8km apart from the airport terminal being upgraded.

This would allow the airport to attract more budget airlines within Asean to fly there, he said.

Currently, only Firefly offers flights from here to Singapore daily.

"Our surveys showed that Perak hold immerse potential as a tourist destination.

"With the extension, we hope other budget airlines will be attracted to use the airport," said Ahmad Husni Saturday.

Speaking to reporters after a ground-breaking ceremony for a market at the Tanah Hitam New Village in Chemor near here, Ahmad Husni, who is also Tambun MP, said work on extending and upgrading the airport would start next year.

On another matter, Ahmad Husni said elected representatives had also been roped in to ensure projects under Budget 2010 were carried out.

"The Yang Berhormats can also write to the Prime Minister or the Deputy Prime Minister if projects in their area are facing problems," he said.

Najib was reported to have asked his ministers to closely monitor projects under Budget 2010.

The Prime Minister wants the 160 projects listed to start according to schedule as this was the commitment given by the Government to the rakyat.

In addition to the above mentioned upgrading, the construction of Royal Malaysian Police Air Unit Flying Academy and its associate taxiway is on going. I quote 'The work involves the construction of a new parking apron, a connecting taxiway and hangar facilities'.

Good news for IPH. :yahoo:

Extending the runway 200m only - so I wonder if the Airbus A320 can land? I think they need about 2.3 km for a safe landing, especially in the wet. If the A320 cannot land, then how can AirAsia, Jetstar and Tiger service Ipoh?

2km should be enough I suppose for such flights. They are probably quite light when the 320s reach Ipoh so landing wouldn't be much of an issue unless its tankering. T/o wise, they won't be close to MTOW with the amount of fuel they bring to Singapore.

Again, got project got spending.

Perhaps AirAsia should convert some of their A320 orders to the A318 so that they can fly routes with lower passenger demand. The other thing AirAsia is bound to bitch about is the airport tax. What will IPH charge after the upgrade?

AS much as I'm an aviation fan, I think this is such a waste of MONEY! Your money and my money! the current runway can accommodate commuter planes comfortably, which is the only type of traffic going into ipoh, the traffic currently comes from ATRs and Fokkers. It's already an underutilized airport, Mas and Air Asia stopped serving it, and now they're expanding the terminal and runway?? For what??? For whom??? the demand isn't there to warrant spending millions. There's the NS Expressway, soon there's the fast KTM trains to ipoh, I don't see future demand increasing.

Millions could be better spent, helping out KTM overhauling and buying new EMU's for their Klang Valley service. Could be better spent on Ipoh's public transport. Atleast more people will benefit from the RM120 Mil investment.

I think they are trying to get more regional airlines to fly there. However, if there is no demand, why bother supply. Just look at Melaka airport - another white elephant...

A never ending saga. I thought the govt. already agreed to upgrade, so how did the relocation claims come about? :sorry:

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/9/9/nation/20100909093705&sec=nation

IPOH: The state government has no plans to relocate the Sultan Azlan Shah Airport here.

Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abdul Kadir said with this, the proposed RM60mil upgrading of the airport would go on as planned.

He added the state government was also mulling the possibility of setting up another international airport elsewhere in the state.

Some quarters have stated that the current location of the airport is very strategic and can act as a catalyst for the city’s economy.

“Therefore, the state government is of the opinion that the upgrading of the airport should be continued to enable small-sized aircraft to land,” he told reporters after chairing the state exco meeting here on Wednesday.

Dr Zambry was responding to statements made by an MCA special committee set up to gather feedback on the proposed Ipoh Draft Local Plan 2020, which had recommended that the airport be relocated.

The committee’s chairman Datuk Yik Phooi Hong had said that the airport should be moved to Seri Iskandar, which had been earmarked as a possible site for a new airport.

Yik had said Seri Iskandar was an ideal location as it was situated between Lumut and here, two of Perak’s tourist attractions.

His deputy, San Chak Chun was reported as saying that the Government should not waste RM60mil to upgrade the airport here but should put the money to better use elsewhere since it had not contributed much to the growth of the city.

On the possibility of setting up an international airport, Dr Zambry said the state has been in discussions with a private company to develop such an infrastructure to serve as an aviation hub for the northern area.

“This is, however, still in the planning stage. I will make my announcement in due time,” he said without disclosing the location of the proposed development.

New building at Sultan Azlan Shah Airport Ipoh

Anybody members in this forum have photos of the new renovated and facelift of the Ipoh Airport? I heard it was supposed to be ready by September last year but never heard anything so far.

I heard too the flying school – Integrated Training and Services is closing down. Somebody can verify on this?

New building at Sultan Azlan Shah Airport Ipoh

Anybody members in this forum have photos of the new renovated and facelift of the Ipoh Airport? I heard it was supposed to be ready by September last year but never heard anything so far.

I heard too the flying school – Integrated Training and Services is closing down. Somebody can verify on this?

Some photos of the newly-renovated Ipoh Airport terminal in this blog. http://imagesofipoh.blogspot.com/

Thanks Reezal.

The new building seems very refreshing and spacious! Just wonder how does the apron and the new runaway looks like? Hopefully someone on a Firefly flight to or from Singapore have a chance to snap some aerial photos!

Thanks Reezal.

The new building seems very refreshing and spacious! Just wonder how does the apron and the new runaway looks like? Hopefully someone on a Firefly flight to or from Singapore have a chance to snap some aerial photos!

I don't think there's any upgrading works done to the runaway, i maybe wrong though. But if i'm not mistaken the runaway could not be extended due to its location near residential areas, and A320 or B738 still couldn't land there.

Found this http://ipoh.airport-authority.com/ . Not sure whether or not it's official website of the airport.

I am also an Ipoh-mali fella.. Used to gaze through the airport parameter fencing watching aircrafts' arrival, and departures during the weekends.

This news of what the ruling state government wanted to do with building of new airport and its purpose, is liking to a desperate call for attention. It is obviously an agenda to stir the minds of its voters with some feel-good teasers.

Perak have not recover since the moment tin trade closes its curtain. MB come, MB goes, all that's was prosperous about this is the MBs and their associates well being. Their lavish lifestyles and abundances are well known. As for the state, its neither dying nor growing.

Just take a comparison look. A mere 2 plus hour away from Selangor and its fledging like a limp flag.

I agree with some views that the present airport be transformed to become a jet hub where business folks could take a quick hop over and back. This will help boost the economy in state, as its living cost is still generally lower as compared to elsewhere.

Perak is a blemished stone waiting to be re-polished to its glory days. Its population is ever waiting for that big break (again) to lift them up to their peers' level from their neighboring states.

Edited by Cire

Thanks Reezal.

Although the airport looks refreshing, but its by no means spacious. The airport is almost as it is for the past 15 years or so. The apron could park 2 737 at the most. The airport was said to be quite tricky as the take off direction is heading towards the center of two small hills. The accent can be quite rapid. Maybe some pilots here can attest on this.

As for extending the runway, I think is quite impossible as there are already houses built along its parameters. Infact at the south side of the runway are rows of expensive houses. I guess they must be glad and very happy indeed when the 737s does not land there anymore.

Edited by Cire

IPOH - Pemangku Raja Perak Raja Dr Nazrin Shah hari ini berkenan merasmikan Lapangan Terbang Sultan Azlan Shah, di sini yang dinaiktaraf bagi memenuhi keperluan keselamatan operasi pesawat dan keselesaan pengguna.

Majlis perasmian itu diadakan sempena sambutan ulang tahun Hari Keputeraan Sultan Perak Sultan Azlan Shah yang ke-85.

Turut berangkat ke majlis itu ialah Raja Puan Besar Perak Tuanku Zara Salim, Raja Di Hilir Perak Raja Jaafar Raja Muda Musa dan Raja Puan Muda Perak Raja Nor Mahani Raja Shahar Shah.

Turut hadir Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abdul Kadir dan Timbalan Menteri Pengangkutan Datuk Aziz Kaprawi.

Projek menaiktaraf lapangan terbang dengan kos RM42 juta yang bermula 13 April 2011 telah siap dan mula beroperasi sepenuhnya pada 1 Nov tahun lepas.

Kerja menaiktaraf lapangan terbang itu melibatkan pelebaran ruang Balai Pelepasan dan Balai Ketibaan, penyediaan tempat duduk baharu di Balai Pelepasan, Balai Ketibaan dan ruang daftar masuk serta pemasangan sistem pendingin hawa di Balai Pelepasan, Balai Ketibaan dan balai perhimpunan awam.

Ia juga meliputi pemanjangan landasan dari 1,798 meter kepada 2,000 meter dan pelebaran kawasan meletak kenderaan komersil.

Zambry dalam ucapannya berkata memandangkan lapangan terbang itu telah dinaiktaraf, kerajaan negeri memohon Kementerian Pengangkutan untuk menambah penerbangan di lapangan terbang itu.

Katanya kerajaan negeri juga merancang untuk menjadikan lapangan terbang itu sebagai pusat perkhidmatan kejuruteraan, penyelenggaraan dan baik pulih (MRO).

"Kita mahu menjadikan lapangan terbang ini benar-benar bermanfaat," katanya.- Bernama

Source : http://www.sinarharian.com.my/raja-nazrin-rasmi-lapangan-terbang-sultan-azlan-shah-1.162411

True to aviation reporting in Malaysia, a company piggybacking on an airline has been accorded the full-fledged airline company status

I am not surprised that they have started the blaming game.

Edited by Waiping

Another 'lepas tangan' attitude.

RT @themmailonline: Airport sinkholes nothing new, says deputy minister: IPOH, Dec 17 The sinkholes on the runway at Sultan Azlan... http://dlvr.it/4WllGg

Maybe we should ask him this question - Would he be comfortable if he was in an MAS B737 landing in IPH? ;)

Sign in to follow this