MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Tamizi Hj Tamby

MP tells MAS to support M'sian-made food products

MP tells MAS to support M’sian-made food products

By Zora Chan

KUCHING: Democratic Action Party (DAP) Sarawak secretary Chong Chieng Jen yesterday called on Malaysia Airlines (MAS) to support Malaysian-made food products by serving them in its flights.

About two weeks ago, he said, while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Kuching, an Italian-made wafer was served with his lunch pack and that made him wonder why MAS had to import the wafer when it could get similar products in the country.

“MAS is our national carrier and why does it have to buy the wafer from such a far country like Italy, and spend extravagantly on products like wafer?

“As our national carrier, MAS should support the local producers,” he told a press conference here yesterday.

Chong, who is Bandar Kuching MP and Kota Sentosa assemblyman, said MAS could purchase the same wafer from the local producers at a much lower price - perhaps two to three times cheaper.

“I ate it and there’s nothing great about it. I didn’t notice it before until about two weeks ago. MAS can get the same product, which is equally good from the country.

“MAS should support Malaysian-made products,” he said, adding that the carrier also served Italian-made chocolates to passengers.

Chong said MAS had been revising its airfares upward in the recent years due to higher operational costs, and it had also been making losses.

He believed if MAS was more supportive of Malaysian-made products, it could offer lower fares to its passengers who would really appreciate the move.

He said he would write to the Transport Ministry and MAS on the matter because he felt that it was unjustifiable for the carrier to continue importing food to serve in its flights.

What's your comment on this? Guys,go ahead with your comments.

Picked from MAS website :

The finest culinary traditions for your palate

Indulge in our range of creations such as succulent lamb shank bathed in Sarawak black pepper sauce, baked North Atlantic black cod, our award-winning 'satay',cheese from the renowned Tarago River Cheese Company of Australia, and so much more; quite literally the best dishes found anywhere.

Farm-fresh produce

We use only the best ingredients from around the world for your discerning tastes and those that are chosen personally by our team of chefs. Even our salad mix is sourced direct from Melbourne, Australia; picked and shipped to the MAS kitchen within 48 hours to ensure absolute quality.

Gourmet tastes

As our priviledged guest, enjoy some of the world's best beverages like the South African Rooibos tea, fruit juices, designer water from Ty Nant, famed Sri Lankan Watte Series of teas, the 'grand-daddy of coffees' - the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe - and Jamaica's glorious Blue Mountain coffee. - Sabah Tea or Boh Tea?

'loacker wafer' damm nice. it among the best wafer i ever had

Agreed.That wafer tastes good.

Look at Singapore, Qantas, American, Delta etc.. They all have overseas products as no offenece but some picky travellers would want quality goods not average. People look up to Belgium Choclate rather than Zimbamwe Choclate

• Like 1

Maybe local food more expensive. :p

If they use local food products, then some one will complain. Use imported food some would also complain. How to satisfy both parties? Serve both local foods and imported foods together?

Then both will complaint. =@

I thought the loacker wafers are made in malaysia via license?

Isnt that locally made?

Fully imported i'm afraid. Saw the "made in EU" on the wrapper.

Somehow MH can't really get the food right this time around. :( Plenty of sad story already on this forum.

Don't know what the fuss is about. That Mr Chong probably got nasi biryani or nasi lemak as main and probabaly a tiny wafer as a side (which happened to be Italian made). Im sure there are plenty of other better things for the DAP guy to talk about in his press conference.

go for KFC or ayammas ? :p

MH serves "Grown In Malaysia" foodstuff on their international routes. Small packages that contain dried local fruit and some crackers + cheese to keep everyone else happy. so serving international food on domestic routes gives us the best of both worlds.

sorry if my post sounds cluttered, trying MWings on my cell :)

They should serve Sarawak's kuih lapis! Probably the most expensive local cake. :p

Look at Singapore, Qantas, American, Delta etc.. They all have overseas products as no offenece but some picky travellers would want quality goods not average. People look up to Belgium Choclate rather than Zimbamwe Choclate

Actually, SIA serves Singapore made "Khong Guan" biscuits with their lunch/dinner trays in Y ex-SIN.

Unfortunately we don't produce many other things that will give that 'atas' ambience to the famed SIA inflight product. Frankly, I'm sure MH buys those foreign wafers in bulk, and would have gotten a considerable discount for it. It can't be that much more expensive. Am sure Malaysian products are just as good, but maybe all it needs is nicer packaging. Some of the local (Singapore included) products look so, erm, kampong (a.k.a cheap looking). If there's one thing Asians can learn from their European counterparts, it's packaging. They are just more attractive and pleasing to the eyes than some of our local products. Has anyone ever seen the salt, pepper, sugar sachets that SAS has? It's simple, yet classy....now compare that with the ugly looking ones on SQ - never seen MH's before.

Better still, look at those peanuts/snacks, cup water that come in the airlines' own packaging... SQ, MH, TG, CX...urgh! LH, NZ, LX... nice and simple.

As far as I want to support this DAP bloke here, for the airline service industry......it is not feasable

Cuz we need to imagine those blokies paying huge dough to sit in C or F class....imagine an ah-moi serving you Julie cream cracker with kraft cheese slices in C or F class....i would go bonkers.......

What to say except these politicians hav nothing better to do at times....I have to agree with Waiping below as MH is not getting better on the food quality and standard .....

Edited by Raymund Yeoh

Actually, SIA serves Singapore made "Khong Guan" biscuits with their lunch/dinner trays in Y ex-SIN.

MAS is serving the locally made "Hwa Tai" cookies in their infamous snackbox instead of the "Loacker" wafer sometimes.

Better still, look at those peanuts/snacks, cup water that come in the airlines' own packaging... SQ, MH, TG, CX...urgh! LH, NZ, LX... nice and simple.

I beg to differ. Don't think there is anything wrong with SQ, MH, TG, CX food packaging (except for MH Snackbox, other than that it is alright).

But i do agree that LH snackbox and the way they wrap their sandwich is definitely something.

It seems that our MPs love to picked on MH... From foods, dress codes, destinations etc... and then MH making losses they blame the CEO/MD... Why?