MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Y. J. Foo

Who handles ground services for airlines in Malaysia?

I'm doing a final year project about RFID-tracking system that tracks passengers with SSRs, spefically for UMNR and disabled passengrs like WCHR, at departure areas. As part of requirement-gathering process I'm required to make interviews with related personnel, namely airlines or airports, or both.

My question for this would be: who handles ground services, including check-in agents, gate agents and those who will assist the passengers with disability, etc, for airlines in Malaysia? Is it airlines themselves handling their own services or airports do that? Also, I need to know the PNR formats - whether they are standardised or otherwise - so I can link SSR tracking to PNR.

Any assistance given is greatly appreciated.

Hello!

I don't have so much info but I hope that it'll help you in some way.

I travelled with my grandmother to MEL via KUL and she was in a WCHR.

About the PNR question i'm not sure if this will help you but at her boarding pass it says WCHR in the corner.

Deboard the aicraft as last person and they'll be waiting for you, what I can remember was that their uniform was darkblue, and then they take you to a seating area, it is in the satellite terminal somewhere around the tropical area/lounge. It's normal chairs there so nothing special, and a desk and there the staff is usually sitting waiting for their next mission. And then off to the next aircraft.

Albin

I'm doing a final year project about RFID-tracking system that tracks passengers with SSRs, spefically for UMNR and disabled passengrs like WCHR, at departure areas. As part of requirement-gathering process I'm required to make interviews with related personnel, namely airlines or airports, or both.

My question for this would be: who handles ground services, including check-in agents, gate agents and those who will assist the passengers with disability, etc, for airlines in Malaysia? Is it airlines themselves handling their own services or airports do that? Also, I need to know the PNR formats - whether they are standardised or otherwise - so I can link SSR tracking to PNR.

Any assistance given is greatly appreciated.

At KUL, ground handling agents are MH, KLAS and AK. As there are not many UMNR and disabled pax, and they normally don’t wondering around, why need RFID to track them? How many detectors are you going to place throughout the terminal? May be placing RFID on check-in baggage to deter thief is more feasible.

:drinks:

why need RFID to track them?

Maybe not KUL, but the neighbours up north and down south handle more pax than us so it may be more applicable to them.

CO sent two UMNRs to somewhere else as you may have heard, and they were guided by someone. I dunno other kids but when I was a kid I definitely would roam around the terminal (not that I don't roam around the terminal anymore). Mishaps do happen, and this system is primarily used to monitor all the pax with those tags in a central control room. Should someone brings them to someplace else (due to confusion etc) then the problem can be rectified before it is too late.

RFID for luggages to deter theft might not sound as effective for me - if I were a thief I wouldn't bother to steal the luggage altogether, just that precious items in it. While HKG uses that, it is more to track the luggages more acccurately. Sources say that RFID gives HKG 97% accuracy compared to 80% of the conventional barcode.

Maybe not KUL, but the neighbours up north and down south handle more pax than us so it may be more applicable to them.

CO sent two UMNRs to somewhere else as you may have heard, and they were guided by someone. I dunno other kids but when I was a kid I definitely would roam around the terminal (not that I don't roam around the terminal anymore). Mishaps do happen, and this system is primarily used to monitor all the pax with those tags in a central control room. Should someone brings them to someplace else (due to confusion etc) then the problem can be rectified before it is too late.

RFID for luggages to deter theft might not sound as effective for me - if I were a thief I wouldn't bother to steal the luggage altogether, just that precious items in it. While HKG uses that, it is more to track the luggages more acccurately. Sources say that RFID gives HKG 97% accuracy compared to 80% of the conventional barcode.

Believe you need to convince MAB to invest the infrastructure (detectors, network) for ground handling agents to use. If MAB to install detectors throughout out the terminal, may be you can place RFID on all boarding pass. Then every pax except transit pax will be tracked, ‘big brother is watching you’.

You will be surprised number of luggage lost in black hole at KUL.

:drinks:

Basically in KLIA only either KLAS or MAS doing the ground handling not including engineering depending on the particular airlines having contract with who. Say example like emirates, ground handling by KLAS but engineering by MAS.

Sign in to follow this