MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ja Singh

wheel fall off australian jet

Sydney - A nose wheel fell off a Boeing 737 belonging to budget Australian airline Virgin Blue while it was taxiing for takeoff at Melbourne Airport, news reports said Monday.

Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association secretary Steve Purvinas said that Saturday's incident showed the need for safety checks before all flights.

'In this case, we were lucky that the failure occurred on the ground,' he told national broadcaster ABC. 'The release of the wheel assembly in-flight could have seen a loss of aircraft.'

A ground engineer noticed the lost wheel and alerted the pilot.

'In this case, we were lucky that the failure occurred on the ground,' he told national broadcaster ABC. 'The release of the wheel assembly in-flight could have seen a loss of aircraft.'

Can anyone explain to me how the loss of a nosewheel can lead to loss of the aircraft?

A flying wheel can impact elsewhere on the aircraft or engines if the plane is in flight. So yes, it is potentially capable of bring down an aircraft.

A flying wheel can impact elsewhere on the aircraft or engines if the plane is in flight. So yes, it is potentially capable of bring down an aircraft.

Ya.The best example was the Concorde which crashed at France few years back

This has happened to an A330 from MH , some time ago , after landing .... If I'm not mistaken

wheel? i thought it was the whole inner cylinder of the nose gear/main gear that fell off? not quite sure though.

Sign in to follow this