MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

AirAsia wants to delay delivery of eight A320s in 2010

Its employees will die for it and they are all highly motivated to make it a success.

I'm not so sure about that. My friend's brother-in-law used to work as a LAME at AK. He quit because he said the atmosphere wasn't very good there, although that maybe isolated to him I'm not sure.

do not really think its just bec of "structural" reasons for AK to posptone delivery of its A320s - as if one were to go to the LCCT daily and one can see from even 8.30am onwards - there's no more than 6 AK 320s on the ground and even at most in between there's abt at most 8 on ground at any one time - so it looks more like AK expansion plans are slowing down albeit the govt's delay in giving the green light for AK to mount new or more flights to destinations. Night parking shouldnt be to much an issue as its additional aircrafts can be parked at further remote bays or outside their hangers; and also AK can overnight some more of its aircrafts at other stations like it does for some.

do not really think its just bec of "structural" reasons for AK to posptone delivery of its A320s - as if one were to go to the LCCT daily and one can see from even 8.30am onwards - there's no more than 6 AK 320s on the ground and even at most in between there's abt at most 8 on ground at any one time - so it looks more like AK expansion plans are slowing down albeit the govt's delay in giving the green light for AK to mount new or more flights to destinations. Night parking shouldnt be to much an issue as its additional aircrafts can be parked at further remote bays or outside their hangers; and also AK can overnight some more of its aircrafts at other stations like it does for some.

May be you should visit LCCT before the first departure at 0545 hour.

:drinks:

you are absolutely wrong! nightstops with 6 a/c's in front of hangar? done that but still isn't a solution. and overnight the a/cs in diff stations, how viable is it going to be? always easier said than done.

Don't remember MH ever having B735's in their fleet...

If my memory serves me correctly, they had 10 of 735. Configured in 98 seats (C-16 ; Y-82).

I remember those time well. In fact one good morning I brought a Sungai Siput minister from IPH and dropped him at the cargo terminal, where Transmile is now parking. That is also one of the reason we have nightstop at almost every airport in the peninsular except TGG.

We did. MFA thru MFI, 9 of them. In fact I still flew them in 2000. We also had 2 B733F, MZA and MZB.

Said MZA

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Maskargo/Boeing-737-3H6(F)/0080020/M/

Why did we phase out the 733Fs? not economical?

I think u forget that by the end of 2010 there will be some 20-30 plus more aircraft compared to now. Parking them elsewhere will only be feasible if they are hubs. Otherwise the planes will be out of position.

I think u forget that by the end of 2010 there will be some 20-30 plus more aircraft compared to now. Parking them elsewhere will only be feasible if they are hubs. Otherwise the planes will be out of position.

I think it's about money lah. If more money to be made with new planes, they might even park them in Tune Hotel car park! :)

I think it's about money lah. If more money to be made with new planes, they might even park them in Tune Hotel car park! :)

I agree. Does anyone seriously think that a small problem like finding parking spaces for 20-30 planes will hinder Airasia's expansion plans? Look, this is a person who made Airasia, a household name not only in Malaysia, but in many parts of the world.

This is just an excuse to delay the delivery of the planes. Possibly over expansion??

There is a "conspiracy theory" on the large number of A320 ordered by AirAsia circulating around.

Remember the mid 90s when you can order a Proton, and due to a long waiting period, when you actually get the car, you can sell it off at a profit? The theory is that TF ordered all those A320s with the view of selling some of them, or the delivery slot, to another airline also based in KUL. Unfortunately the political masters changed and the other airline ordered 737NG instead, therefore TF has no chance of offloading his already ordered A320s.

Of course, this is just a conspiracy theory and will never be proven right or wrong.

Actually I was thinking they may start a Tune Leasing or something like that... Yes, Captn Radzi, that theory is quite feasible. Another one would be for AK to sell off its old planes as the new ones come in. By Dec next year, 9M-AFA will be 5 years old - it will still fetch a nice price on the used market or it can be leased out to other carriers.

I agree. Does anyone seriously think that a small problem like finding parking spaces for 20-30 planes will hinder Airasia's expansion plans? Look, this is a person who made Airasia, a household name not only in Malaysia, but in many parts of the world.

This is just an excuse to delay the delivery of the planes. Possibly over expansion??

If you think the problem of parking planes is small, please read the Business Times report: http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/jtony12/Article/index_html

Fernandes added that AirAsia was in talks with the Department of Civil Aviation for an additional eight parking bays at the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) in Sepang.

"We are currently one parking bay short and are optimistic of getting the additional parking bays, which mean utilising the taxiway," he said.

He added that the additional deferment of eight aircraft in 2011 was likely given infrastructure constraints at the present LCCT and possible delay in the development of the new LCCT.

hi KK - like i wrote in the posting - when u are at the LCCT after 830am - there are not many AK #20s - abt maybe 4 to 6 or so - and what u mentioned is at 530am - which I know there the gates are almost full - but once the aircrafts starts taking off at 550am onwards - by in fact 830am - its more of waiting for some of the flights to arrive back at LCCT.

Did not see anything in the report that says parking planes is a big problem.

If parking planes is a big problem for Airasia, they will not be what they are today.

Its just an excuse

It is not what they are that is worrying the management. It is what they will be tomorrow and in the next few years. If you read the report carefully, they are asking the DCA to approve parking their planes on the TAXIWAY. There will be more planes arriving this year and next year - so far this year, AK has sent most of their new planes to Thai and Indonesia AirAsia - so that is why you may not see a problem TODAY. But come this time next year, it will be a different story.

Another thing is that MAHB has not even moved an inch of soil to start work on the new LCCT. Now, we are almost coming to the end of Q3. The new LCCT is now in danger of being seriously delayed. So AK might also need to postpone 2011 deliveries.

Taken from skyscrapercity...Just rendering, and not the final design.

This design severely limit the ability for it to expand in the future. What do you think?

3861562444_966dc0dfd7_b.jpg

3860779589_5fb4429175_b.jpg

3860779483_9d993d5ed2_b.jpg

3860779345_6fef7cde35_b.jpg

Any comments as how we could improve this design?

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

I thought the new permanent LCCT is going to be built opposite to the main terminal ? No ?

Not that great cos pax have to walk long distance. The KLIA East@Labu had the terminal in the middle and the walkways on either side. Another thing to note is that no multistorey car park was provided. And what about transport interchange? How do the people get to KLIA Ekpress? And what about bus and taxi stands?

Not that great cos pax have to walk long distance. The KLIA East@Labu had the terminal in the middle and the walkways on either side. Another thing to note is that no multistorey car park was provided. And what about transport interchange? How do the people get to KLIA Ekpress? And what about bus and taxi stands?

As kenneth said - this is only an early rendering - so nothing is set in stone yet.

Even then i am more appreciative of this design. i can say that 90% of my walking will be covered - something like how airasia flights are like right now. And the big jets will be closer to the terminal than currently is, so it wouldnt be a long walk to the planes.

If you check the render again - the building under the trees looks suspiciously like multi-storey carpark to me - complete with the roundabout driveways to get to the subsequent floors.And because the terminal is next to the MTB like i speculated before - extending the KLIA express line would be much simpler and cheaper. The bus ans taxi stands i suspect would be like the one currently used in MTB - the system i mean.

Maybe.

All are pure speculation at this point of time.

Yes, lets wait and see what the final design looks. Yes this LCCT looks like it is enclosed between the runways. So room for expansion might be limited.

Here is my very "unprofessional" drawing of the new KLIA LCCT, in my case, you can add "modular" into the terminal as needed for future expansion.

maybe someone can better translate my drawings. Hahaha! Just for fun. Don't shoot me. Drawings not to scale.

This the overview plan of the terminal. The Piers and "Finger" provides direct access to the planes.

Picture1-1.jpg

This allows passengers to go up to clear their immigration before going back down to board their planes.

This design separates the movement of both Arriving and Departing passengers.

Picture2.jpg

Had fun drawing using Words....hahaha! Just for sharing!

Actually the current LCCT layout is very practical and it even has a "corner" overflow apron so that planes can be parked there for non standard open air boarding... :) Looking at the new LCCT, additional outlying parking bays are not accessible by pax as it will involve crossing the primary aprons.

Can somebody in the know explain what earthworks are ongoing at the aerotrain tracks near the satellite terminal? I didnt think this was for the new LCC-T as the latter is quite far away.

I think they could better utilise that space in the centre of the main apron (if that's what you'd call it) Perhaps an additional finger extending out from the centre of the main building to reach those remote stands in the centre... either underground or overground??

And better yet.. install some aerobridges at least for the widebodies lah......

Sign in to follow this