MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

MAS And Firefly To Extend Code-Share Arrangements

KUALA LUMPUR, June 30 (Bernama) -- Budget carrier Firefly will extend its code-share partnership with parent company Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS) to include its latest Singapore route by mid-July, managing director Eddy Leong said Tuesday.

Currently, Firefly has a code-share partnership with MAS for the Subang-Kerteh, Subang-Koh Samui, Penang-Banda Aceh, Penang-Medan and Penang-Phuket routes.

"We hope by mid-July we will be able to extend the code-share partnership with MAS for all Singapore routes, either from Subang or Ipoh, Kuala Terengganu, Kuantan and later Melaka, Kota Baharu and Alor Setar," he told Bernama here.

Firefly will begin its thrice daily flights from Subang to Singapore tomorrow.

It plans to increase its Subang-Singapore frequency to four flights a day from middle of next month as the airline is also set to begin flights to Singapore from Ipoh, Kuala Terengganu and Kuantan.

Asked about the response to the Subang-Singapore route, Leong said that sales had been good despite stiff competition.

According to him, Firefly has a slight edge over competitors by operating from the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang which is nearer to the city.

"Definitely, one thing for sure, we are not flying empty. Our promotion of RM88 is all inclusive, including airport tax, insurance surcharge and administration fees, and will continue, provided you book seven days in advance," he said.

Leong said the only problem the airline was facing now was that it could not carry a full load of passengers for flights on certain routes due to the lack of refuelling facilties at some secondary routes like Ipoh, Kota Baharu, Alor Setar and Kuala Terengganu.

"Without these refuelling facilities, we can't carry the maximum number of passengers on our flights. That's why we are engaging the state governments to assist us on this," he said.

Firefly has targeted to carry 1.5 million passengers this year as it is now operating seven 72-seater ATR72-500 aircraft. Last year, it carried about 500,000 passengers with just three Fokker 50 aircraft.

-- BERNAMA

Source: http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsbusiness.php?id=421833

KUALA LUMPUR, June 30 (Bernama) -- Budget carrier Firefly will extend its code-share partnership with parent company Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS) to include its latest Singapore route by mid-July

Does this mean two (or more) different price categories: 'cheap' fares via FY (website) and 'expensive' ones by MH (website) ?

Personally, I do not see why this code share thing even need make it to the news media

Being abang-adik, right pocket-left pocket entities (however you want it termed), code share is just plain common sense - no ?

Really, shouldn't the three arms (MAS, Firefly and MasWings) be working towards some seamless operation, eventually ?

Nothing new here, just want to flag up that Malaysia Airlines will be code sharing with Firefly jet service into and out of KLIA (i.e. KUL - BKI , KUL - KCH).

Not much to worry about if one is doing point to point. However, for a route like LHR-KUL-KCH, one might end up with FY on the KUL-KCH sector without choosing the flight carefully, especially that there is no fare difference between MAS and FY operated flights.

Below is the flight selection as shown on opodo.co.uk. Can you spot the flight operated by Firefly?

MHLHRKCHFY1.png

You get more details of the flights once you have made the selection, but it doesn't really tell you much..... Hmm, Broome Airlines? ;)

MHLHRKCHFY2.png

hmmm does this mean that if you're not careful, you'd end up paying 5 stars and then get peanuts?

I did a quick google search, now defunct Broome Aviation from Australia used to have it's code as FY, probably opodo hasn't updated their database yet.

Just checked the online MAS timetable and its in there as well.

I seem to remember my fears mentioned here and subsequently dismissed.

5 star fares to travel the last sector on a cramped LCC airline - great!

It all depends on how you see things... for example, most of the time ex-LHR fares to KUL and other major ASEAN / Malaysia cities are the same. In this case you can say that the Intra ASEAN /Domestic sectors are free. On the other hand, some people may get a little disappointed ending up on a LCC on the last sector, especially that MH has been advertising itself as a five star carrier...

I guess we just have to be a little more careful when choosing flights next time. For me, I will probably be happier being served a snackbox on Smarties seats than paying RM for a drink on a new 738...:pardon:

Edited by H C Chai

I normally do ADL-KUL-PEN, and usually KUL-PEN was free and I only had to pay small amount of fees.

But, MH really need to explicitly mention which route is operated by FY, so people can expect what they will get.

Hmm. Then my possible KUL-KCH-BKI-HND can be done with firefly!

The codesharing is in "one-direction" only. You will not get FY codes on KCH-BKI-HND.

MHLHRKCHFY2.png

For me, I will probably be happier being served a snackbox on Smarties seats than paying RM for a drink on a new 738...

For MH9958, I noticed 20kg baggage allowance is included in the ticket. Is it possible that for MH passengers transferring to MH-FY codeshared flights, "standard/premium set" are automatically included for them, hence they will not have to pay for food and drinks?

For MH9958, I noticed 20kg baggage allowance is included in the ticket. Is it possible that for MH passengers transferring to MH-FY codeshared flights, "standard/premium set" are automatically included for them, hence they will not have to pay for food and drinks?

With extra perks included, one can argue that Firefly's offering is as good as MH if not better in those domestic routes. Agree MH needs to be explicit which flight is operated by which airlines. Looking forward to the days when one can earn some enrich points flying Firefly.

Well spotted... if that is the case, it is not as bad as I thought. I am not sure how Business Class passengers will be treated, but that is for Business Class passengers to worry about wink.gif

With extra perks included, one can argue that Firefly's offering is as good as MH if not better in those domestic routes. Agree MH needs to be explicit which flight is operated by which airlines. Looking forward to the days when one can earn some enrich points flying Firefly.

I guess FFP of MH partners (such as AF/KLM's Flying Blue) will not be getting miles on FY operated flights, just like Star Alliance FFP not getting anything on Silkair's flight...

I think the MH/FY arrangement will be quite similar to the QF/JQ one. For a QF flight number operated by JQ, you get all the perks on JQ paid for. So, I'm assuming that for the MH flights operated by FY, passengers on with MH flight number will have their drinks/meals included.

Anyway, for the peninsular Malaysian flights, eg.KUL-PEN, what difference will it make if it's operated by MH or FY? On these sectors, you only get peanuts and juices on the MH flights.

Sign in to follow this