MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

When Airlines' CEOs Tweet on the Facebook Wall

I was at ADL in 2014. After clearing immigration, we were routed through inside duty free shop before finally reaching the gate areas.

Yes, that is the general layout at most Aussie airports - you cannot escape walking through Duty Free.

BKI has something unique though - a fresh seafood shop to pack your foodie souvenir home! :clapping:

My main gripe about KLIA2

1. Tons of twists and turns, up and down arriving or departing.

2. Very very dark and gloomy.

3. Some departure halls are "hidden"

KLIA is a tad better...but not that great either.

I made a mistake flying back from PVG to KUL and then back to BKI. Had to clear immigration after arriving KUL since its not a single booking.

As I was rushing to meet up with a friend, by the time I reach the entrance I was soaked in my own sweat!

So the lesson is don't rush. Enjoy an ice-cream or 2. They have the best soft ice-cream at Family Mart. Had 1 before you enter the mall, and then another when you exit.

You sound like you have something personal against Tony.

Nothing personal, just not tricked by his reality distortion field.

Believe only Aussie airports and PNH channel pax thru duty free after immigration but the walking distance is shorter than gateway@klia2 (from train/car park lift to departure hall) and is not a good practice. Why not compare with efficient airport?

I've walked from gateway@klia2 (train/car park lift) to the main terminal. I honestly don't get how that kind of distance is considered to be "far". Are Malaysians so lazy to walk?

Also I do remember going through duty free after immigration & security in TPE, SIN, LHR, SEA, LAX & IAD (though in the case of the three American airports, their shops are limited).

Lucky you, I see you dont fly AIRASIA enough

I'd like to think so. After you people stranded me for 6 hours at klia2 because the flight got cancelled and then not bother to inform my travel party - and even had the gall to charge us because we changed our destination from LGK to PEN - I make it a habit to fly AirAsia only as a very last resort. In fact one of the only ways I'd fly AirAsia first is if I get a free ticket from my BIL.

- AirAsia are all online / kiosk check in / self bag tagging now. Its the baggage drop thats causing the issue. The fact of the matter is the real estate allocated is nothing compared to whats in KLIA. I guess AirAsia should come out with a way to drop your bags via the internet.

Looking at this video I can see AirAsia personnel there, so to blame MAHB solely for the baggage drop issue is a fallacy

I make it a habit to fly AirAsia only as a very last resort. In fact one of the only ways I'd fly AirAsia first is if I get a free ticket from my BIL.

:pardon: :rolleyes:

• Passengers going through retail outlets help fund airport operation. The more they spend, the more money MAHB earn. PSC alone doesn't pay for the airport operations. As for the confusing floor layout, blame WCT - they do the same thing at Paradigm Mall which they built & operate.

That to me is the biggest problem at KLIA2. Paradigm Mall *sucks* big time layout wise and it's designed to make sure that there are longer walks than necessary (1 Utama is doing the same thing with escalators now, you can't go straight from B1 to Level 3, you have to turn a few times so you'll pass by more shops). And of course Paradigm's floor numeration is a huge problem too.

- I guess WCT should be blamed. Just like how AIRBUS is to be blamed for putting so many seats on the A380 that MAB cant make money out of it.

The other operators have preferential treatment. They get at least 4 check in counters for one departure. Also theyre parked at the nearest International gate most of the time, K1,K3,K5. Never further than that.

WCT gets partial blamed, and of course some invisible hands that made them the architect for KLIA2 too ;)

I don't know about MAHB/KUL, but most airports charge more for gates closer to the security area (e.g. SQ almost always depart from gate 11-19 at HKG where as MH departs from gates 200+, and carriers like UA, BA, AA, TG depart from 40+).

It does not make sense - they spent RM 5bn building it and it is inferior?

I shudder to think what it would have been if they had stuck to the original RM 1.7b budget!

If you believe the entire RM 5B goes towards KLIA2's construction, I've got a bridge to sell to you :)

^^ :)

Edited by Craig

That to me is the biggest problem at KLIA2. Paradigm Mall *sucks* big time layout wise and it's designed to make sure that there are longer walks than necessary (1 Utama is doing the same thing with escalators now, you can't go straight from B1 to Level 3, you have to turn a few times so you'll pass by more shops). And of course Paradigm's floor numeration is a huge problem too.

^^ :)

For reasons, paradigm mall has fewer crowd than previously.

Edited by KK Lee

They forgot one little psychological detail. The shopping area should be after the baggage check-in area because once you offload your baggage, your hands are free and the chance of you buying something is greater.

They forgot one little psychological detail. The shopping area should be after the baggage check-in area because once you offload your baggage, your hands are free and the chance of you buying something is greater.

Seems like that is how DXB works.

Yes, that is the general layout at most Aussie airports - you cannot escape walking through Duty Free.

BKI has something unique though - a fresh seafood shop to pack your foodie souvenir home! :clapping:

Adding to the uniqueness is passengers will be greeted with sea view and islands. Especially when weather is good like these past few days the sea is blue with lots of water activities within sight from T1, plus the sunset...

I seldom use KLIA 2 these days bit a few months ago I departed from there and was surprised at the number of shops that have done with the whole unit being knocked out to try and hide the fact. I like that the fact that there is a lot of food choice but its hard to find a single listing of outlets because the mall had one directory and the airport another.

As a non Malaysian Im not blessed with the e-gate option so after check in I need to look at the immigration queues and then decide wither to risk spending time landslide especially wth the security checks near the gates that are often very busy. I agree with my friends that if you fly AK and have priority boarding (hotseats) due to the poor design of the gate seating its almost impossible to move once people sense boarding is about to commence. As a result of this you usually have to stand or sit on the floor.

All in all I think its a poorly designed airport with a cheap low cost/class feel.

I agree with my friends that if you fly AK and have priority boarding (hotseats) due to the poor design of the gate seating its almost impossible to move once people sense boarding is about to commence. As a result of this you usually have to stand or sit on the floor.

All in all I think its a poorly designed airport with a cheap low cost/class feel.

Yes, klia2 still use the outdated holding room (very small) for the gate. Modern airports have an open plan for gates - so it feels very spacious for waiting pax. Ironic that LCCT had one departure hall with many gates but klia2 reverted to the old fashioned departure rooms.

Have not seen this posted elsewhere on here and have been meaning to share it for a while.

TF presented at this year's Credit Suisse Asia Investment Conference.

Im not a huge fan of Air Asia but this is quite inspiring and they also announced their plan to get A321's

The slides are on his Linkedin page