MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

When Airlines' CEOs Tweet on the Facebook Wall

Penang doesnt have the space for ONE Airbus 320 to operate to Chennai?? Wow this guy really knows how to make jokes (or he thinks everyone else around him are simply fools)

Have you used Penang Airport lately? I think he meant that the terminal is congested as MAHB prefers to use the space for shops rather than departure and arrival halls.

Then what about the termination of Abu Dhabi route? :mellow:

This was very clearly explained by Azran. Economics is the main reason for AUH pull out. Airport costs are too high and pax load too low.

LCCs are not like legacy carriers with govt. ownership and protection with limitless taxpayer bailouts. They either survive or die. They cannot allow cash outflows to bleed them to death. Hence they do not have the luxury to keep low yielding or unprofitable routes running for long. Its just one of those things we have to get used to.

I don't quite get the negative sentiments towards AirAsia, Tony and Azran at all. It is very clear since the very beginning that the bad guy is the government's team - MH and the protectionist and anti competitive government bodies that it hides behind.

AirAsia revolutionized air travel in Malaysia. PERIOD!

And I don't see any reason why anyone would snap at AirAsia's prompt decision to terminate its routes that don't make profit. Instead, I think AirAsia should be commended for that for not keeping a bleeding route for prestige or 'malu' reasons unlike the other 5 star airline that had to go through 2 painful Business Turnaround Plans just to get its loss making routes to be axed, along the way lost billion of Ringgits.

Oh MAR, I don't want to go back to the days when airline tickets had to be sponsored by governments or even companies, surely I would just like to travel from point A to B cheaply with my own money.

Edited by Alif A. F.

TF should just say that the route did not make money, as simple as that. Dun drag the Msian government in all the failures. Osaka, Jeddah, Sydney bla, bla bla........ :angry:

Instead, I think AirAsia should be commended for that for not keeping a bleeding route for prestige or 'malu' reasons unlike the other 5 star airline that had to go through 2 painful Business Turnaround Plans just to get its loss making routes to be axed, along the way lost billion of Ringgits.

Funny, IIRC when MH was closing the EWR route, TF urged the government to ask MH to continue flying to New York on the account of "prestige".

TF should think back their potential routes not just assume "Now Everyone Can Fly" everywhere if they more focus on money and profit. Just admit that the route did not make money and don't blame other parties.

And I don't see any reason why anyone would snap at AirAsia's prompt decision to terminate its routes that don't make profit. Instead, I think AirAsia should be commended for that for not keeping a bleeding route for prestige or 'malu' reasons unlike the other 5 star airline that had to go through 2 painful Business Turnaround Plans just to get its loss making routes to be axed, along the way lost billion of Ringgits.

Yup, that proactive approach is to be applauded :clapping:

However, bear in mind a very major contributor towards ills of 'that' 5 star airline was/is cited as 'national interests' - a feature that seem to have crept into Dato's vocabulary a lot lately

Do we want to be led down that same path over again ?

AirAsia revolutionized air travel in Malaysia. PERIOD!

Yes, they did. Apart from making air travel more affordable for ordinary people (even for people who don't fly with LCCs), we got new airlines like Firefly. So we have to thank AirAsia for shaking up the Malaysian aviation industry.

TF should think back their potential routes not just assume "Now Everyone Can Fly" everywhere if they more focus on money and profit. Just admit that the route did not make money and don't blame other parties.

They have no choice but to try out new routes as MH tries to block the more traditional routes. Some are successful (e.g. KUL-OOL, KUL-MFM, etc.) while others fail spectacularly (KUL-AUH). Lets not discourage them from trying to introduce new routes. But lets also not block them from traditional ones like KUL-SYD. An airline needs some profitable routes to strengthen its finances so that it is able to test new markets and new routes.

While some of you are critical about why Tony Fernandes blames the govt. as a contributory factor to some of its failures, we should also praise some governments and government departments for making their routes a success. E.g. Queensland Tourism Board and the Coolangatta Airport authorities are key to D7's success in OOL. Their contributions to D7's success on that route should not be underestimated.

The Malaysian govt. has its grubby hands on lots of businesses. So what is wrong if they are criticised? If they cannot accept criticism, then they should not be in business (or govt. for that matter!).

Yes, they did. Apart from making air travel more affordable for ordinary people (even for people who don't fly with LCCs), we got new airlines like Firefly. So we have to thank AirAsia for shaking up the Malaysian aviation industry.

More like shaking up MH and it's really a quake.

I dont think there's anything wrong with stopping an unprofitable route. Thats good business sense, thats how one makes money. I commend AK/D7 for being proactive in their business decisions based on commercial viability unlike MH when they were slow to react in the past.

But blaming it on a congested terminal? If its true PEN is too congested for them to continue a daily PEN-MAA vv flight on a A320, CX should cancel their PEN-HKG flights as well. After all, they are carrying a lot more passengers than a fully loaded A320.

The blame game should stop. Its becoming a culture here to blame some other party, some other department, some other organization for ones own failures. Thats not the way it should be. If it isn't profitable, its fine to say so. At least everyone knows it then. But apparently blaming, and pointing fingers is a norm now as a more 'prestigious' way of getting out of a failure. If i recall correctly, when the KUL-ARN-EWR service was terminated, it was on the front page of The Star newspaper in which MH said the yields were simply too low for them to continue.

AK/D7 has done so much for not just the Malaysian aviation scene but also for the regional aviation industry. They have made a difference, they have brought progress and they have made MH a stronger and better organization today. For all they have done, they deserve a pat on the back. Sadly though, when something doesnt work out their way, the manner in which they handle it seems unacceptable to me. (Thinking of FAX & competition with TR in Thailand as just one of the few)

The blame game should stop. Its becoming a culture here to blame some other party, some other department, some other organization for ones own failures. Thats not the way it should be. If it isn't profitable, its fine to say so. At least everyone knows it then. But apparently blaming, and pointing fingers is a norm now as a more 'prestigious' way of getting out of a failure.

AK/D7 has done so much for not just the Malaysian aviation scene but also for the regional aviation industry. They have made a difference, they have brought progress and they have made MH a stronger and better organization today. For all they have done, they deserve a pat on the back. Sadly though, when something doesnt work out their way, the manner in which they handle it seems unacceptable to me. (Thinking of FAX & competition with TR in Thailand as just one of the few)

Exactly my sentiment towards AK/D7. :drinks:

So you guys do see their complaints to the govt. as excuses for failure, huh?

They way I see it, I think that they are doing national service - highlighting the weaknesses in our system that is in need of correction. Just look at how long it took MAHB to realise that the KLIA LCCT is a cash cow and that they should build the permanent LCCT ASAP. Their lobbying for Penang to have better facilities is starting to have an effect, with the extension of the airport.

I know that a lot of businesses don't even bother complaining about our poor infrastructure because they are MNCs and just take their money and invest in other countries (e.g. Car manufacturers setting up from scratch in Thailand because of Malaysia's protectionist policies). However, Tony Fernandes wants to change the way business is done in this country- he is not running away. I remember him tweeting "Much as I love Indonesia, Malaysia is still my country..."

He is only trying to highlight the hurdles that AirAsia faces to achieve their corporate goals. Some of these hurdles are like scoring own goals for Malaysia. There is always two sides of the coin. Lets see if his rants and raves will result in more improvements in the future!

..... I think that they are doing national service - highlighting the weaknesses in our system that is in need of correction.....

I prefer not to cheapen 'national service/interests' in that manner - you will no doubt observe that each and every one of Dato's "rant and rave" has been to the benefit of his interest (ie. AK & D7's) either directly or indirectly ?

It is also perhaps worthwhile to note that this consistent insistance and lobbying for construction of LCCT's (and non-LCCT's) in all corners of the nation has so far resulted in already a few very (presumably) lucrative construction projeks - more to likely follow no doubt :)

There is always two sides of the coin

Absolutely ! :lol:

Edited by BC Tam

CEO tweets on twitter, not on facebook.

Of course. The thread title 'When Airlines' CEOs Tweet on the Facebook' is just a metaphor, putting Twitter and Facebook in a short sentence, like a song/movie title.

This thread was originally exclusively for information leaked from Facebook, but as more info were communicated from Twitter, it was combined in this thread by our esteemed members.

Uncle Tony announced bonus payment to this staff at AK.

Tony Fernandes

Lots of happy faces in airasia. Bonus time. Well done to all at airasia for a great year and an amazing start to this year.

57 minutes ago

Any news from the 5 star team?

Tweet from TF again. This is really superfast!

Our team working on how to bring out our students from egypt via turkey or iran.

Looking a putting a hub in jeddah and running shuttles to cairo. Gulf air #!@%*#isting us. Also flights direct to cairo. We have no rights but getting them.

:pardon:

Rights issues on a rescue flight riding on a G2G basis? Subcontract it to the MasCharter Team la.... We have done many rescue flights for foreign govts using MH aircraft operating from a third country to another country.

These guys make our normal day to day activities sound like big time drama....

I see impending chaos...due to unanticipated ( which can and should be anticipated ) issues related to departures as well as arrivals if Jeddah was to be used....

More TF Tweets:

There will be some realingments on london flights today due to airasia x plane being used for rescue operation a320 being sent as relief

Thank you to all the crew and pilots who did a superb job. True all stars.

Prime minister was working past one in the morning to get us into jeddah as we were having difficulty getting rights into jeddah. Thank you

Hopefully the rights into JED stays and soon converted to commercial scheduled operation.

Well that is for the politicians to sort out...

Latest TF tweet:

Airasia have rescued 2000 people. , 1200 yesterday from cairo to jeddah. Today a320 joins operation to rescue from alexandria