MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

When Airlines' CEOs Tweet on the Facebook Wall

He has to pay for MAS seats, doesn't he? No more FOC seats for him. So in the past, he took SQ. But I wonder why he changed to MH this time...

most likely because it's the only airline in Malaysia that flys to the UK ;)

and being in Malaysia's top 40 richest, I doubt dishing out 5 digits would make his wallet any sexier (thin :p) . Another thing might be because Heathrow is much better connected than Stansted. After all, if he really wanted to .. I'm sure the jumpseat or crew rest wouldn't be taken.

Tony Fernandes' latest Tweet:

"Off to london now. Have to fly on mas ( first flight on mas for a couple of years). No seats on airasia."

What a backhanded statement, eh? :D

A friendly gesture to MH new CEO Tengku Azmil?

:drinks:

Personally what I think he is saying is "See, D7 is full but MH still got seats. I haven't needed MH for all these years but now I'm desperate and forced to fly them."

:D

Haha.......I dont think he wants to fly 14-odd hours in AK seats. Not even XL.....

Its not AK, its D7...

Anyway, it is good that he did not bump some unfortunate fare paying pax off a D7 flight. It shows that AirAsia Group CEO does not throw his (heavy) weight around! ;)

Remember this is peak season for UK due to students returning for their new school or uni sessions. So it is highly probable that D7 is full. The A343 takes less than 300 pax.

Edited by flee

From Malaysia Airline Travel in Facebook

Malaysia Airlines Malaysia Airlines want to resume flight to Darwin..!

So the economy has finally picked itself up? Just less than 4 months ago...

Sorry, the service is not on. With the economic crisis, this is not the best time to offer new destinations.

Tan Wai Fong

Head, Media Relations

Malaysia Airlines

Better be true to the words this time. Flip flop decision making is not funny.

Tony is impressed with UK fund managers. I always felt that Malaysian analysts do not really understand the LCC model and are not able to judge the risks adequately. Good that AirAsia goes overseas for funds if the local ones are so anal...

In sunny scotland. Off for final leg of roadshow then back to london. Have to say fund managers really understand what airasia has created

Last 2 meetings of roadshow. people get it here on airasia. Weather is glorious. Wish I could just go to the park and chill.

Tony is impressed with UK fund managers. I always felt that Malaysian analysts do not really understand the LCC model and are not able to judge the risks adequately. Good that AirAsia goes overseas for funds if the local ones are so anal...

Hmm.. UK fund managers.. guess they are not those greedy managers who ultimately caused the collapse of world's economy.

Have to say fund managers really understand what airasia has created
people get it here on airasia. Weather is glorious. Wish I could just go to the park and chill.

Wonder if the weather would seem as glorious if fund managers had been less receptive ;) :p

Hmm.. UK fund managers.. guess they are not those greedy managers who ultimately caused the collapse of world's economy.

Need to be a bit careful here. Fund managers and bankers are different people. The economy collapsed because some bankers made wrong bets.

Azran seems a bit active in updating his FB status recently.

Azran Osman-Rani

Will be taking a long trip to London and then Oakland. Any recommendations on books to read and DVDs to watch and while away the hours at airports and inflight?

September 5 at 7:52am · Comment · Like / Unlike

Azran Osman-Rani

is on a warpath again: going after widebody cabin crew that's disgracing the profession with arrogant indiscipline. A clear example will be made.

Wed at 7:10pm · Comment · Like / Unlike

Very immature to think that if you're 'friends' with the Captain and/or P1, that you'll be "protected".

Yesterday at 2:37am

Azran Osman-Rani

Flying off to London to see the queen.

12 hours ago · Comment · Like

Any significant event about D7 with regards to the (many) trip(s) to London?

As for the second shoutout, it is the second time the CEO is undergoing such mission. Several months back, he posted a same kind of status about hunting down bad ground handling/check-in agent (I remembered he addressed them as 'bozos') at the LCCT at 4 or 5 am in the morning. We don't see an airline CEO does something like that everyday, don't we?

However, the first shoutout is kind of a mistake. He supposed to help the sales of D7's portable IFE units LOL!

AirAsia to raise up to RM665m via share sale

UPDATED

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 14 — AirAsia, Southeast Asia’s largest budget carrier by fleet size, is expected to raise up to RM665 million in a new share placement as it seeks to cut its debts.

Demand for full-fare carriers has been hit by the economic downturn, boosting discount airlines. AirAsia said last month proceeds from the share sale would be used to reduce its debt, which has risen sharply following aggressive capacity expansion.

AirAsia will sell 400 million new shares, representing 16.8 per cent of its existing share capital, at RM1.33 to RM1.40 a share, according to the deal term sheet obtained by Reuters, to raise up to RM560 million.

But the sale also has an upside of 75 million shares on top of the 400 million shares offered, the term sheet said, meaning AirAsia could potentially raise a total of RM665 million.

CIMB and Credit Suisse are joint placement agents for the exercise and bookbuilding will be completed on Sept. 15.

AirAsia stock closed down 0.7 per cent today at RM1.41. Stock exchange regulator Bursa Malaysia said AirAsia shares would be suspended tomorrow pending an announcement.

Regional budget carriers such as AirAsia and Jetstar Asia Airways have either added capacity or increased flight frequencies to cope with higher demand.

Analysts in Malaysia said last month that AirAsia’s tight cash flow and high debt level was worrying given its commitment to fund aircraft deliveries. It last month deferred the delivery of eight Airbus A320 aircraft to 2014 from 2010, which analysts said signals potential overcapacity in the future. — Reuters

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/index.php/business/37680-airasia-to-raise-up-to-rm665m-via-share-sale

The last 7 of Uncle Tony's status were all about his sudden involvement with team F1 1Malaysia. Finally, something aviation came out from him.

Tony Fernandes

Back home. Great to be back. Airasia is rocking. Lots of exciting destinations coming.

Yesterday at 8:36am · Comment · Like / Unlike · View Feedback (116)Hide Feedback (116)

From various sources, a sudden speculation emerged that D7 will be flying to Nice in France (the airport that serve Monte Carlo - go figure!) next year. But all failed to provide a link, despite mentioning the news came from The Star's Biz. Nice and Lyon were the 2 additional destinations that were given landing rights by the France authority to Malaysian airlines, last year. Extracted news article from my archieved the Malaysian Aviation Thread 7. http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/3814984/

Malaysia gets 2 more landing rights in France

The Edge, 23 June 2008

by Doreen Leong

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian government has secured extra landing rights on two secondary airports in France following the conclusion of talks between the governments recently, said sources.

This means that national carrier Malaysia Airlines and budget carrier AirAsia X are able to fly to Lyon airport and Nice airport in France starting next year.

“Malaysian carriers are given three times weekly slot for next year and this will increase to five times weekly in 2010,” said a source. An announcement on the matter is expected to be made this week by the Ministry of Transport.

However, another source said Malaysia Airlines might not be keen to fly to the two secondary airports as it was already operating daily flights to Paris DeGaulle Airport.

Initially, Malaysia Airlines had wanted to cut this loss-making route from its network when it underwent a network rationalisation exercise but decided to keep the route after the airlines managed to find ways to salvage it.

It was unclear if budget long-haul carrier AirAsia X would want to fly to the two airports in France.

For Malaysia Airlines, it could tap into Air France-KLM’s network in the country if the two airlines agree to code-share. According to a source, Malaysia Airlines is in talks with Air France-KLM to explore code share arrangements.

Also,

From Malaysia Airline Travel in Facebook

Malaysia Airlines Malaysia Airlines want to resume flight to Darwin..!

In addition to my earlier comment in reply #86, MH has published its newest timetable for the period of 25 October 2009 - 27 March 2010 http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uploads/en/downloads/common/etable-September-09.pdf but Darwin is no where to be seen. This is of course, if this timetable is reliable.

The newest timetable proved to be unreliable because MH failed to include some changes that it recently announced, like the 3rd weekly service KUL-DXB-IST vv which is going to start on 25 October 2009, the 6th weekly flight KUL-ICN vv which has started on 17 September 2009 and the 2nd daily KUL-SBW vv flight which will start on 25 October 2009.

Never mind, we all know MH sucks with regards to this timetable matter. There is always a mistake somewhere at any given time! The more important question is that, is Darwin on or not?

From various sources, a sudden speculation emerged that D7 will be flying to Nice in France (the airport that serve Monte Carlo - go figure!) next year. But all failed to provide a link, despite mentioning the news came from The Star's Biz. Nice and Lyon were the 2 additional destinations that were given landing rights by the France authority to Malaysian airlines, last year. Extracted news article from my archieved the Malaysian Aviation Thread 7. http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/3814984/

This is possibly one of the routes that could be flown via the Abu Dhabi virtual hub. But I think that it will only happen after D7 receives its next batch of A333's in 2010.

Nice France is (almost) confirmed! How 'nice' is that, then Malaysians can fly to Monte Carlo to watch team 1Malaysia in the F1 race there.

AirAsia X eyes second French route

PETALING JAYA: While Nice will be AirAsia X’s first port of call in France next year, the long-haul low cost carrier is looking at adding a second destination in the country.

The carrier believed there was strong demand for flights between Nice and Kuala Lumpur but would not be launching the route “anytime soon”, AirAsia group chief executive officer Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes said in an interview with Bloomberg TV yesterday.

“Well, I think there’s a huge amount of demand. That would be our first point of call. We’ve also got the whole of the south of France, you’ve got Geneva a couple of hours away and you’ve also got Milan,” he said.

He said AirAsia was innovative in the way it looked at destinations and going to Nice was “really serving the whole of the south of France, a bit of Italy and Switzerland.”

Asked whether there would be more capital fund raising for AirAsia in the next two years, Fernandes said no.

“We had a fantastic roadshow, great demand, so we raised RM500mil. It’s only the second time we’ve been in the market. The first time was our IPO (initial public offering) in 2004,” he said.

The company announced its capital-raising last month to pare down its debt. Fernandes said AirAsia’s business income had been strong and ancilliary income was increasing. “Oil prices have come off substantially so we don’t see ourselves needing capital for a long long time,” he added.

On the expansion of AirAsia’s fleet, Fernandes said the company was looking to take in 16 planes next year, eight planes fewer than originally planned.

“The demand (for travel) has been very good. We’ve continued to outgrow capacity above 20% in the last two quarters (and) this quarter is looking very strong as well in terms of passengers,” he said. He said the carrier had just started flying into India, which “has been looking very good”.

Uncle Tony ran a contest on his FB status box, and I missed it URGH! The price is free flights for a year!

Tony Fernandes

Where or what route would you like airasia. A route that we havnt thought of and we do will. That person will get free flights for 1 year.

Fri at 9:46am · Comment · Like / Unlike ·

View Feedback (544)Hide Feedback (544)63 people like this.

View all 481 comments

Tony Fernandes

Thank you all for your suggestions. Some great route suggestions. I will announce winner soon. Meeting on tuesday.

Yesterday at 7:00am · Comment · Like / Unlike ·

View Feedback (86)Hide Feedback (86)Delwin Atot and 24 others like this.

View all 61 comments

481 people responded to the contest.

D7 just received their 3rd owned A333, 9M-XXC named Midnight Xcapade.

Azran Osman-Rani

Announcing the birth of 9M-XXC, "Midnight Xcapade", just delivered from Toulouse by an amazing team that I'm incredibly proud of.

10 minutes ago · Comment · Like / Unlike

Also, does anyone noticed AirAsia is using their Facebook page to announce retime schedule of their flights on a DAILY basis? I found it very customer oriented. Kudos for being very innovative.

AirAsia

is happy to announce there are no flight retimes today. We wish you all a pleasant flight with us, and plenty of smiles on board :)

17 hours ago · Comment · Like / Unlike ·

View Feedback (71)Hide Feedback (71)48 people like this.

View all 23 comments