MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Eugene Koh

MASKargo

I am no expert in this however wouldn't it be better in current economic for MAS to use B744 or B744BCF

as oppose to gas guzzling B742. I know these are leased aircraft but couln't MAS request for newer fuel efficient

aircrafts? They would save heaps on fuel cost I would think.

I know they currently own 2 B744s cargo aircrafts and since China Airlines have stored some of its B744s cargo

planes, might as well lease it. Am sure China Airlines would offer good lease deal as oppose to let the aircraft

sit in the dessert.

Also, what happen to the sole MASKarga A300? Hardly seen any pictures of it or has it been returned to lessor?

Yes it does make sense to get some 744's but the problem is $$$.

In MASKARGO's case its cheaper to lease the 742F's from Air Atlanta then go out and get an old 744F, in which they will have to get maintanence & crews to fly them, where as its all pretty much done for them now by AA.

744F fuel cost may be cheaper than 742F but MH has a lease agreement with Air Atlanta until next year. Unless fuel cost saving is more than US$400,000 per month, MH will be at losing to cancel contract with Air Atlanta.

:drinks:

But fuel price is not exactly the problem here, right? I mean although oil price is going up again but it is still consider quite low as compared to last time.

Believe the issues Mas Kargo is facing at the moment are insufficient load for all their aircraft to operate regularly, still paying for the fuel hedging cost, fixed term lease agreement and many charges are beyond their control.

:drinks:

Going back 12 months or so I chatting onboard a 742F with an Air Atlanta loadmaster and he indicated that at the end of the current lease agreement the DCA has said that the leased aeroplanes need to be of a newer model. Naturally MAS would have loved the 77F but ABD had customers booked before they'd even signed for them.

Sign in to follow this