MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Georg Burdicek

Air France A330 F-GZCP Flight AF447 GIG-CDG Crashed Into the Atlantic Ocean All 228 POB Killed

Does ATC normally keep a record of the conversations between pilots and ATC controllers, apart from the black box on the plane ?

I understand for ATC controllers to communicate to each other on duty, even if they are just sit next to each other, they need to use 'intercom' to communicate so that the conversation is recorded.

Teoh, Dr Naim is trying to ask us to to think simple here.. what airlines would crash twice in a forth night rite? so Air France can be very safe for travel now for maybe at least 1-2 years.. then u can start avoiding them again hahaha.. simplicity thought :rolleyes:

The mathematicians way of thinking is just a theory and it is one of the many ways of thinking. I wouldn't take it for granted for what would happened eventually. I hate to be a number in the satistics to test out whether Air France or any other airline with clumsy record is safe for the next 1 or 2 years. Not to mention the probablity of losing another aircraft in a short time isn't possible at all, if fact Adam Air had similar occurance in a short time although not in matter of weeks. :rolleyes:

Simply put, when the time comes, one will not be able to escape death. If death can be avoided in some ways, I will definitely choose not to fly with Low Cost Carriers as much as possible due to the amount of money and effort they spent on running or maintaining a flight or aircraft. Driving and maintaining a car isn't cheap and I simply would not pay $1 or nothing for a flight from Point A to B :)

Edited by S V Choong

The mathematicians way of thinking is just a theory and it is one of the many ways of thinking. I wouldn't take it for granted for what would happened eventually. I hate to be a number in the satistics to test out whether Air France or any other airline with clumsy record is safe for the next 1 or 2 years. Not to mention the probablity of losing another aircraft in a short time isn't possible at all, if fact Adam Air had similar occurance in a short time although not in matter of weeks. :rolleyes:

Simply put, when the time comes, one will not be able to escape death. If death can be avoided in some ways, I will definitely choose not to fly with Low Cost Carriers as much as possible due to the amount of money and effort they spent on running or maintaining a flight or aircraft. Driving and maintaining a car isn't cheap and I simply would not pay $1 or nothing for a flight from Point A to B :)

A brand new car virtually is truble free for a couple of years and hardly needs to much attention compared to a 14 year one.So even tho LCC spend less on their maintainance, I would rather fly a brand new jet then one which has been exposed to many many years of stress,with every take off and landing.

Edited by jadivindra

A brand new car virtually is truble free for a couple of years and hardly needs to much attention compared to a 14 year one.So even tho LCC spend less on their maintainance, I would rather fly a brand new jet then one which has been exposed to many many years of stress,with every take off and landing.

Point taken. That is why I am still flying Jetstar and Pacific Blue/Virgin Blue :D It really depends on who the operators are too, but in theory "You get what you paid for" still stands as the golden statement.

At times, there are new risks associated with a new aircraft or design might have unknown problems.... that explains why the B742 was chosen as the US presidential ride rather than the newer B744. :)

Edited by S V Choong

I would call that the statisticians' way of thinking... :rolleyes: Mathematicians think rather differently... :)

I would call that the statisticians' way of thinking... :rolleyes: Mathematicians think rather differently... :)

Two statisticians were travelling in an airplane from LA to New York. About an hour into the flight, the pilot announced that they had lost an engine, but don't worry, there are three left.

However, instead of 5 hours it would take 7 hours to get to New York. A little later, he announced that a second engine failed, and they still had two left, but it would take 10 hours to get to New York.

Somewhat later, the pilot again came on the intercom and announced that a third engine had died. Never fear, he announced, because the plane could fly on a single engine.

However, it would now take 18 hours to get to new York. At this point, one statistician turned to the other and said, "Gee, I hope we don't lose that last engine, or we'll be up here forever!"

But I digress, I should be telling this joke to illustrate my point why Air France is the 'safest' airline at this moment ... :D

A statistic professor plans to travel to a conference by plane. When he passes the security check, they discover a bomb in his carry-on-baggage. Of course, he is hauled off immediately for interrogation.

"I don't understand it!" the interrogating officer exclaims. "You're an accomplished professional, a caring family man, a pillar of your parish - and now you want to destroy that all by blowing up an airplane!"

"Sorry", the professor interrupts him. "I had never intended to blow up the plane."

"So, for what reason else did you try to bring a bomb on board?!"

"Let me explain. Statistics shows that the probability of a bomb being on an airplane is 1/1000. That's quite high if you think about it - so high that I wouldn't have any peace of mind on a flight."

"And what does this have to do with you bringing a bomb on board of a plane?"

"You see, since the probability of one bomb being on my plane is 1/1000, the chance that there are two bombs is 1/1000000. If I already bring one, the chance of another bomb being around is actually 1/1000000, and I am much safer..."

Edited by Naim

"You see, since the probability of one bomb being on my plane is 1/1000, the chance that there are two bombs is 1/1000000. If I already bring one, the chance of another bomb being around is actually 1/1000000, and I am much safer..."[/i]

I knew that I shouldn't submit a reply just like this but for this one, I can't help it:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My kidneys cramped already :lol:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My kidneys cramped already :lol:

Why are you still rolling about laughing ?

Go see a nephrologist quick - you in serious trouble :p

Not when you are driving a Proton. Old models much more reliable than new ones.

Not when you are driving a Proton. Old models much more reliable than new ones.

But an Airbus or boeing for the matter is no proton. They are not 3rd world products like proton.

But an Airbus or boeing for the matter is no proton. They are not 3rd world products like proton.

But then comes the part where you'll have to admit "Nothing or nobody is perfect!" 3rd world or 1st World..

But then comes the part where you'll have to admit "Nothing or nobody is perfect!" 3rd world or 1st World..

It is not true that a old BMW is more reliable that the new one.

So is it true that a old proton is more reliable than a new one as suggested by waiping?

It is not true that a old BMW is more reliable that the new one.

So is it true that a old proton is more reliable than a new one as suggested by waiping?

Actually mine is still ok, as compared to some of friend's car. Maybe because I took care of it well, loh. But one is for private use while others like commercial jets are often more difficult to maintain since it's for public. Much like taxi vs private owned.

UPDATE 1-Air France "black box" signals located - report

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:26am EDT

(Adds details and background)

PARIS, June 23 (Reuters) - Signals from the flight data recorders of the Air France airliner that crashed into the Atlantic killing all 228 people on board have been located, Le Monde newspaper said on its website on Tuesday.

An Air France spokeswoman said she could not confirm the report. The Transport Ministry and the air accident investigation office could not be reached immediately for comment.

Le Monde said French naval vessels had picked up a weak signal from the flight recorders and that a mini submarine had been dispatched on Monday to try and find the "black boxes" on the bottom of the rugged ocean floor.

The "black boxes" may contain vital information that could help explain what happened when the Airbus A330 aircraft crashed into the sea en route from Rio de Janeiro to Paris on June 1.

Locator beacons, known as "pingers", on the flight recorders send an electronic impulse every second for at least 30 days. The signal can be heard up to 2 km (1.2 miles) away.

French vessels involved in the search operation include a nuclear submarine with advanced sonar equipment and a research ship equipped with mini submarines.

The remote location in the Atlantic as well as the depth and surface of the ocean floor have made the search especially difficult and the wreckage could lie anywhere between a depth of 1 km (0.6 miles) and 4 km (2.5 miles).

(Writing by James Mackenzie, Editing by Ralph Gowling)

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews...N67711020090623

Let's all pray that the black boxes can be retrieved with those vital info intact..

After 23 days of searching,finally they found the data recorder. :good: Hopefully with the data collected from the black box,they can found out what has actually caused this deadly aviation mishap.

Sounds detected under Atlantic are NOT doomed Air France jet's black box

By Mail Foreign Service

Last updated at 11:04 AM on 23rd June 2009

French officials said faint sounds detected under the Atlantic are not from the black boxes of the doomed Air France jet.

There had been a report that the signals had been detected deep under the ocean earlier today by a mini submarine.

But officials said that the boxes, which will give vital clues to the cause of the disaster which claimed 228 lives, had not been found.

Locator beacons known as 'pingers' send an electronic signal every second for at least 30 days, and it can be heard up to 1.5 miles away.

French ships involved in the search operation include a nuclear submarine with advanced sonar equipment and a research ship equipped with the mini subs.

All are methodically scanning the surface and depths of the Atlantic for signs of the plane, over a 50 mile search radius.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...-black-box.html

Edited by Naim

..... faint sounds detected under the Atlantic are not from the black boxes of the doomed Air France jet.

Now, that is scary !

What sound was it then and where is the source ?! :huh:

Now, that is scary !

What sound was it then and where is the source ?! :huh:

Could have been the sound of a male whale calling for a female whale :rolleyes:

It sounds quite fishy...Le Monde was the first to break the news saying that the ping signals from BB was located. Now, the French authorities deny it.

Le Monde's reputation is well known...they do not simply report something without credible leads.

Why can't the French just leave it to the Brazilians to do the search and conduct the investigation? If the Brazilians lack the equipment, let them decide who to call to assist in locating the bb.

So much are at stake here...French-made a/c, French national carrier, French technology, etc. Better to leave it as non-conclusive cause of crash rather than have something that implicates any of them.

In the past, in the crash involving AF's Concorde, a French magistrate jailed a French investigator after he was exposed for deliberately brushing aside evidence of tyre shards puncturing the fuel tanks.

Also KAL007 - Soviets were suspected to have deliberately hidden the BB because the CVR showed that the crew was unaware of straying into Soviet airspace and did not notice warning tracers fired from the MIG.

It sounds quite fishy...Le Monde was the first to break the news saying that the ping signals from BB was located. Now, the French authorities deny it.

Le Monde's reputation is well known...they do not simply report something without credible leads.

Why can't the French just leave it to the Brazilians to do the search and conduct the investigation? If the Brazilians lack the equipment, let them decide who to call to assist in locating the bb.

So much are at stake here...French-made a/c, French national carrier, French technology, etc. Better to leave it as non-conclusive cause of crash rather than have something that implicates any of them.

In the past, in the crash involving AF's Concorde, a French magistrate jailed a French investigator after he was exposed for deliberately brushing aside evidence of tyre shards puncturing the fuel tanks.

Also KAL007 - Soviets were suspected to have deliberately hidden the BB because the CVR showed that the crew was unaware of straying into Soviet airspace and did not notice warning tracers fired from the MIG.

I checked CNN yesterday and they did not even mention it.