MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Georg Burdicek

Air France A330 F-GZCP Flight AF447 GIG-CDG Crashed Into the Atlantic Ocean All 228 POB Killed

Same Brazilian AF map with English terms.

article-1190307-052E9F2D000005DC-414_233

Clouds belt is the ICZ area which AF447 flightpath crisscrossed.

article-1190307-052E9E52000005DC-712_468

The photo, generated from an infrared image taken by the EUMETSAT weather satellite, shows the weather situation at 02:15 UTC, over the Fernando de Noronha islands, lower part of image centre, near where AF447 may have gone down.

Insight on British victims of AF447...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...nder-Bjroy.html

scary! :blink: reminds me of LOST.........so scarrrrryyy!!!!

R.I.P to all the passengers....I really2 hope at least 1 survived to tell the story + help us understand what happened :sorry:

Barazilian Air Force spokesman, Jorge Amaral quoted as saying that the discovery of bits of wreckage far from the airline's designated air route suggests that the pilots maybe attempted to turn back for emergency landing to Fernando de Noronha military airport.

As the location of the wreckage is being located and recovery is undergoing, The Guardian reports news of those who dodged the flight to death.

Air France plane crash: hotel plans save honeymoon couple

Angelique Chrisafis in Paris

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 2 June 2009 20.27 BST

Two were saved by an expired passport. Two more postponed their flight on a whim. The people who narrowly missed flight AF447 today recounted their escapes.

A Brazilian legal analyst João Marcelo Calaça, 37, was turned away at the gate as his passport had run out. The friend he was travelling with was furious, but neither got on the flight. Calaça didn't realise the jet had gone down until he woke in a hotel the next morning to 25 missed calls from his panicking family.

A Brazilian couple, Rodrigo Motta and Bianca Igrejas, decided on the dance floor of their Copacabana wedding celebrations that they wanted another night to enjoy their luxury wedding hotel. In the middle of their party, at 1am on Saturday, they postponed their flights using their mobile phones.

Claude Jaffiol, a French medical professor, had been at a congress in Rio before he and his wife visited a friend, the Dutch consul, in Brasilia. They decided to return early to Montpellier in southern France and insisted on getting flight 447. Their diplomatic friend pulled every string he could to get them on the flight but to their frustration, it was full. "It's a miracle," Jaffiol said, after arriving at Charles de Gaulle airport on a later flight. "We should have been on that plane."

A Brazilian legal analyst João Marcelo Calaça, 37, was turned away at the gate as his passport had run out. The friend he was travelling with was furious, but neither got on the flight. Calaça didn't realise the jet had gone down until he woke in a hotel the next morning to 25 missed calls from his panicking family.

A Brazilian couple, Rodrigo Motta and Bianca Igrejas, decided on the dance floor of their Copacabana wedding celebrations that they wanted another night to enjoy their luxury wedding hotel. In the middle of their party, at 1am on Saturday, they postponed their flights using their mobile phones.

Claude Jaffiol, a French medical professor, had been at a congress in Rio before he and his wife visited a friend, the Dutch consul, in Brasilia. They decided to return early to Montpellier in southern France and insisted on getting flight 447. Their diplomatic friend pulled every string he could to get them on the flight but to their frustration, it was full. "It's a miracle," Jaffiol said, after arriving at Charles de Gaulle airport on a later flight. "We should have been on that plane."

They need to buy a LOTTERY ! As fast as humanly possible !!!

By the way, i guess we can all assume that AF447 experienced a mid-flight breakup, just like CI611 in May 2002. Hence no chance for the pilots to declare emergency :(

However, if the plane suffer mid air breakup, there should be some external scratches or fractures that leads to catastropge, hwever no incidents happened before on this plane. Right? :blink:

If the plane breakup midair it should explain the orange spot that the TAM pilot saw. If the plane breakup on impact I am not sure you would see fire, right?

As the location of the wreckage is being located and recovery is undergoing, The Guardian reports news of those who dodged the flight to death.

If God has decided that their time is not up, then they shall be spared ... I suppose :pardon:

If God has decided that their time is not up, then they shall be spared ... I suppose :pardon:

Reminded me about the only survivor of the worst air disaster at Tenerife.

You mean the KLM part

Reminded me about the only survivor of the worst air disaster at Tenerife.

However, if the plane suffer mid air breakup, there should be some external scratches or fractures that leads to catastropge, hwever no incidents happened before on this plane. Right? :blink:

We still do not know yet.

If the plane breakup on impact I am not sure you would see fire, right?

Only the experts can give us a definite answer on this one.

Airline captain: Air France crash probably not caused by lightning

SALT LAKE CITY -- Recovery operations are underway in the Atlantic Ocean where an Air France jet crashed on Sunday. Brazilian military planes found two debris fields about 700 miles off the Brazilian coast Tuesday.

Among the debris, metallic pieces, an orange buoy and signs of fuel. Crews have not found any victims, and the plane's computers indicated system failures.

Two other planes passed through the same stretch of sky that night without incident, but something happened to Air France Flight 447 that proved disastrous.

Some believe lightning sparked the cascade of events that brought the plane down. A pilot KSL spoke with Tuesday says lightning may be unsettling for some of us white-knuckled passengers, but it certainly doesn't bring down airplanes.

Every day, planes take off and land near thunderstorms. The last known commercial plane crash caused by lightning was more than 40 years ago, according to the Aviation Safety Network.

Retired airline captain Valerie Walker says actually being hit by lightning while in the air is "no big deal."

"Ninety-nine percent of the cases, you might get a small melted area where it hit," she said. "What they do is any time any static electricity that builds up will bleed off into the air, much the way it does with your car."

As Brazilian authorities are confirming what had already been assumed, that the Air France jet that disappeared crashed into the ocean, Walker has a theory. "I think it got into some pretty severe turbulence and it may not have been able to stand up as much as your traditional technology," she said.

Severe turbulence and possibly, Walker says, the composite design of the Airbus airplane that together proved to be catastrophic. "They're good aircraft, but we don't know if they can withstand turbulence quite as good as the old generation," she said.

Walker says American-made planes are predominately made of metal, instead of composite materials. Composites have hundreds of thin layers, which Walker says can come apart, weakening certain areas of the aircraft.

Certainly, this is one theory. Only time will tell before we know exactly what happened.

Will be a huge blow to Boeing 787 and any Airbus planes if this theory proves to be correct.

Edited by Isaac

Will be a huge blow to Boeing 787 and any Airbus planes if this theory proves to be correct.

My concern is more on AF. In the past 1 or 2 major disaster would brought down an airliner. Pan Am was one of the victim. Only a couple of year ago when another AF A340 overshot the runway in Vancouver(?) during landing.

Tenerife whereby KLM 4805 and PAM 1736 collided on runway~ :mellow:

Ya. There was a girl who originally supposed to disembark in Tenerife. After the plane was diverted there the girl just didn't board the plane again. She was spared but unfortunately 2 of her friends were not.

My concern is more on AF. In the past 1 or 2 major disaster would brought down an airliner. Pan Am was one of the victim. Only a couple of year ago when another AF A340 overshot the runway in Vancouver(?) during landing.

YYZ - Toronto Pearson.

YYZ - Toronto Pearson.

Right. Thanks for the correction. Anyway the ACI episode is still rather fresh in my mind.

Just want to ask you guys, planes does not suppose to fly inside a major thunderstorms, right? That is why modern planes are equip with weather radar so they don't fly inside a major thunderstorms. I'm just curious about it

Just want to ask you guys, planes does not suppose to fly inside a major thunderstorms, right? That is why modern planes are equip with weather radar so they don't fly inside a major thunderstorms. I'm just curious about it

Agree. It looked like the plane was turning back before crashing into the ocean. Maybe a major failure (communication) forced them to turnaround before a second blow knocked them out of the sky. Still too early to speculate anything until they find the black boxes.

Edited by waiping

I don't think the crash will affect AF to the scale of Pan Am. When the Lockerbie disaster occured, Pan Am was already a weakened carrier facing the effects of deregulation in the US, and because the crash was caused by terrorism, many people just avoided flying with Pan Am. That's the death knell for Pan Am. This accident on the other hand, may be a freak of nature, or probably a problem with the plane rather than terrorism, so I don't think people will stop flying with AF, and AF's financial position is strong I believe. Besides, there are many other airlines that are still flying, eventhough their safety record is a bit spotty. China Airlines is one, Garuda is another.

CI 611 episode from ACI is here. Full length 98MB, wmv format.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?joumjm0mtbq

Another mid-air explosive decompression...JAL 123

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5mwfmeam412

Latest from ACI...

Crashes that changed flying - Ep.1, 2

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jgrcjwnm5th

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0mjmmgn1z2y

Now,they must think how to recover the black boxes from the Atlantic.Remember the South African B743 Combi incident? They took almost a year to recover the black boxes from the seabed!