MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Timothy

PPL @ GGIFA

sorry for starting a whole new thread about this,

but I'm curious if GGIFA (@ Bintulu) accept private candidates ? My 4 months+ summer break is approaching soon, and getting a PPL in M'sia is still cheaper than doing it in the UK where i'm studying. My parents are open to the idea... as well as the costs. the .pdf on GGIFA quoted RM33855 for the PPL course and a training duration of 13 weeks.

is this price about right ? it's without accomodation.

sorry for starting a whole new thread about this,

but I'm curious if GGIFA (@ Bintulu) accept private candidates ? My 4 months+ summer break is approaching soon, and getting a PPL in M'sia is still cheaper than doing it in the UK where i'm studying. My parents are open to the idea... as well as the costs. the .pdf on GGIFA quoted RM33855 for the PPL course and a training duration of 13 weeks.

is this price about right ? it's without accomodation.

I think it's a bit tight but not impossible.

I think it's a bit tight but not impossible.

thanks for the reply sir.

how about the fee they're asking ? Is it reasonable ? and if they accept private candidates, what license will I be issued ? can I use it internationally ? ie: rent a light aircraft in aust or UK

sorry for the string of questions ...

how about the fee they're asking ? Is it reasonable ? and if they accept private candidates, what license will I be issued ? can I use it internationally ? ie: rent a light aircraft in aust or UK

not too sure for the prices....

You will be issued a Malaysian PPL license, you can use Internationally, but only flying with 9M registered aircraft.

correct me if i am wrong :)

Same here, I'm not updated with the current prices. Normally you have to do the local airlaw paper before you can fly there. Normally one has to go for a checkride with the club's instructor before flying their aircraft. In order for you to fly their planes,you also have to join their membership.

It is tight Timothy, but whether you could finish it in time is a big challenge for GGIFA because they are very slow.., I suggest you wait or look at a more reliable school..

I've actually been giving them calls about this before they even built their buildings in BTU. The last time was about a year ago, and I was given a roundabout answer and most of the time will just be asked to call back since principal "meeting .. in town .. busy" etc. They told me to come down and see, and guess i'll just take up that offer when I'm back in 2 more weeks :p

any current GGIFA students here free enough to ask on my behalf ? long shot ... but worth a try :D

I stay in Bintulu, so GGIFA sounded like a god send when it was announced years ago.

In KK also there was one Austral Flying Academy. I happened to be there doing some machine installation but unfortunately they close shop a few years later, possibly due to a lawsuit from some of the students who felt cheated by them.

Timothy, before you take the first step, I shall warn you, 4 months for PPL is something possible when:

1.Aircraft available

2.Instructor available

3.Weather permissable

4.Trainee is able to cope.

PPL rely a lot on external factors rather than you alone.

I strongly agree with Khaled there, and just for your info, there are one or two Mwings member currently doing their licenses at GGIFA and on average it took them 6-8 month to get their PPL, so that is way beyond your available time frame.. I suggest you think over this or go over GGIFA and ask them whether they can help you get your PPL at that time frame.. It's best to avoid any issues later. All the best :drinks:

With a PPL "made in Malaysia" you may only fly aircraft with 9M-... registration ! (anywhere in the world)

But i think the malaysian PPL will be honoured in the U.K. (like in many other ICAO member countries ... ) - under the condition that you pass some theory/practical tests as well as a check flight which will allow you to get a british license afterwards.

So, you can somehow "circumvent" the (financially) exhausting education in the U.K. but your malaysian license will still be limited to 9M registered aircraft !!!

I suggest you contact the CAA and ask what exactly you will have to do to "transfer" your malaysian PPL into a U.K. one (probably a license according to JAA regulations)

rgrds, Jurgen