MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Nabiel Haniff

MAS trace all passengers and crew of MH091

PUTRAJAYA: The influenza A(H1N1) virus has landed in Malaysia.

The first case of the flu with pandemic potential was confirmed when a young student who returned from the United States on Wednesday de­veloped a fever and was hospitalised.

Test results yesterday confirmed that the student had the virus.

Taking precautions: Staff in the emergency department at the Sungai Buloh Hospital attending to their duties while wearing face masks Friday. — AP

The 21-year-old student, who flew on Malaysia Airlines flight MH091 from Newark, New Jersey, to the KL International Airport (KLIA) via Stockholm in Sweden, has been placed in an isolation ward at the Sungai Buloh Hospital since Thursday evening and is being treated with anti-viral medication.

Acting Health Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha said all five family members of the patient, who live in the Klang Valley, had been placed under quarantine in their home and their condition was being monitored.

They will be observed for a week before they can be declared clear of the disease.

Kong said the ministry was trying to identify all those who came in con­tact with the student since he re­­turned home so that they could be tested.

“We are also working with MAS to trace all passengers and crew members on board the flight so we can have them tested as soon as possible,” Kong said.

He said it was possible that not all those on the flight were still in the country as Kuala Lumpur may have just been a transit stop before they continued their journey but the ministry would be providing information on the case to the World Health Organisation.

Asked if it was possible that some passengers on the flight may not want to be identified for fear of being placed under quarantine, he said the measure was to ensure their safety and that of others around them.

“We urge all those on the flight to contact the nearest hospital or the ministry so that they can tested and not wait for us to contact them or for the symptoms to show before acting,” he said, adding that they should immediately go to a hospital if they had symptoms linked to the disease.

Kong said all major hospitals in the country had already set aside space so that patients testing positive for the A(H1N1) virus could be placed in isolation wards.

He said that the patient managed to pass through the scanners at KLIA undetected but did not mean that they were ineffective as it was possible the student did not show any symptom at that time.

He said the virus had a two- to three-day incubation period during which symptoms linked to the disease were not visible and that could have been why the scanner did not detect a fever after his flight landed at 7.15am on Wednesday.

Kong said the Health Ministry would continue to use the scanners at entry points and take all precautionary measures.

“The ministry has taken all the possible precautionary measures to control and contain the disease after the WHO issued a level-five alert. We are urging the public not to panic as the situation is under control,” he said.

In Malacca, Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Mohd Yassin expressed confidence that the Health Ministry and other government agencies would be able to contain the spread of the A(H1N1) flu.

He told reporters after opening the national-level Youth Day celebration yesterday that the fact that the health authorities managed to detect the infection revealed the effectiveness of the National Pan­demic Preparedness Plan implemented by the ministry.

Source : The Star

I assume no M'Wingers are on board of Flight MH091 :drinks:

I think so because nO TR about MH091 :good:

Since MH0091 performed EWR-ARN-KUL flight pattern,, I wonder how about passengers who disembark at ARN,, did Sweden Health Ministry also call/searching/trace the passengers for further check??

Let say the flight crews been quarantined,,how do it effect the crews flight roster??

Lets pray this will end soon...

Since MH0091 performed EWR-ARN-KUL flight pattern,, I wonder how about passengers who disembark at ARN,, did Sweden Health Ministry also call/searching/trace the passengers for further check??

Let say the flight crews been quarantined,,how do it effect the crews flight roster??

Lets pray this will end soon...

Yeah i hope so this flu will end soon because this june i will depart to STN by D7..

hehe

Quarantine for passengers of AirAsia AK 5358 flight

NST Newsdesk

Email to friend Email to Friend Print article Print Article

KUALA LUMPUR, Sun:

The woman who was infected with the influenza A (H1N1) virus had taken AirAsia flight AK 5358 to Penang at 11am on May 13.

Those on the same flight are asked to identify themselves to state health departments.

It was reported by Bernama that the Health Ministry hopes to contact all passengers on Air Asia flight AK 5358 that left the LCCT Terminal to Penang at 11am on May 13, for quarantine purposes after one of the passengers was identified as a confirmed Influenza A (H1N1) victim.

Deputy director-general of Health, Datuk Dr Ramlee Rahmat said the ministry had passed on information about the 101 passengers and five crew members on the flight, to the state health department, for quarantine purposes.

"We would like to inform the passengers or flight crew on that flight to cooperate with the health authorities by contacting 03-8881 0200 or 03-8881 0300 for information and preventive measures," he told reporters here today.

Dr Ramlee said according to procedures, they must be quarantined at their houses for seven days and can only leave the house if they are cleared of any signs or symptoms.

He added that the ministry was also trying to track down 24 passengers, including a Malaysian, who had been on a Malaysia Airlines flight MH091 that arrived at KLIA from Newark, New Jersey (USA) at 7.15am on May 13, the same flight that the two confirmed influenza A victims had flown.

Dr Ramlee said from the 119 passengers who are in the country, three of them were admitted for observation, and two of them were confirmed positive for Influenza A (H1N1) while the others, except for the 24 yet to be identified, had been quarantined at their houses.

As for the two confirmed cases, Dr Ramlee said both were in stable condition and showed positive improvement.

The first victim being treated at the Sungai Buloh Hospital has fever but no cough or flu while the second one at the Penang Hospital does not have fever or any other symptoms.

Dr Ramlee said as of 8am today, the national Crisis Prevention and response Centre (CPRC) received 102 cases that had been referred to hospitals for observation and out of the total, two were positive for Influenza A (H1N1).

He said as of yesterday, 103,536 passengers on flights, were screened at various entry points in the country.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sun...icle/index_html

this is getting big.

The first victim being treated at the Sungai Buloh Hospital has fever but no cough or flu while the second one at the Penang Hospital does not have fever or any other symptoms.

This is quite a long shot. How many people would get a check when they didn't show any symptom.

My sis' classmate was on the flight MH 091... Her classmate is the 2nd victim in Malaysia...

Hope that she (the classmate) will get out of this very soon...

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

Wow your INTEL is good .. hehehe .. However , could you be mistaken ?

I wouldn't know :p Was told by Yong (whom I believe was told by Azahan, and of course, told by TK laaa)

I wouldn't know :p Was told by Yong (whom I believe was told by Azahan, and of course, told by TK laaa)

Playing chinese whispers heh ?