MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Airports' & Airlines' Operational Statistics

I think MH's figures above should had inclusive of MASwings, isn't it?

And, if we want to include FireFly in the equation for MH; FD, QZ and D7's numbers have to be included to AK too to be on level playing field. Obviously the AirAsia Group's figures will trump MH Group's quite significantly.

I know for sure it doesn't :) and to include FD, QZ and D7 is not apple to apple la Bro! This is for airlines based in Malaysia....

..... and to include FD, QZ and D7 is not apple to apple la Bro! This is for airlines based in Malaysia....

Need to knock off FD and QZ figures then

D7 is Malaysian based for sure, no ?! :pardon:

I know for sure it doesn't :) and to include FD, QZ and D7 is not apple to apple la Bro! This is for airlines based in Malaysia.

I disagree. When one suggested to include FY and MASwings i.e. an airline owned by MH, the same rule should applies to AK, and AK co-owned FD, QZ and D7. Only then it's apple to apple. It's about ownership, not base on 'airlines based in Malaysia only', which I think is a very mooted basis. In fact, from the financial and operation results that AK published to the public in their website, the information for FD and QZ were included. MH never reveal any statistics about FY and MASwings, so one can really argue that MH's figures are inclusive of MH, MASwings and even FY, until hard prove is shown.

And to simply state that FY and MASwings carry 1 million passengers per quarter (a period of 3 months), I personally think that is a bit over exaggerated because from 2009 data (kindly refer to post #27 in this thread), the total annual traffic in SZB is only 819,840. Again, this is also subject to further deliberation until hard evidence is shown.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

I disagree. When one suggested to include FY and MASwings i.e. an airline owned by MH, the same rule should applies to AK, and AK co-owned FD, QZ and D7. Only then it's apple to apple. It's about ownership, not base on 'airlines based in Malaysia only', which I think is a very mooted basis. In fact, from the financial and operation results that AK published to the public in their website, the information for FD and QZ were included. MH never reveal any statistics about FY and MASwings, so one can really argue that MH's figures are inclusive of MH, MASwings and even FY, until hard prove is shown.

And to simply state that FY and MASwings carry 1 million passengers per quarter (a period of 3 months), I personally think that is a bit over exaggerated because from 2009 data (kindly refer to post #27 in this thread), the total annual traffic in SZB is only 819,840. Again, this is also subject to further deliberation until hard evidence is shown.

Does AK figures include D7? If it does then you have to exclude it as well. Then only it is apple to apple.

No it's not. Among the 3 airlines that is related to AK (FD, QZ and D7), D7 is the least associated with AK because the 2 companies only share a few common individual shareholders (Aero Ventures which owns 48% of D7 are owned by Tony Fernandes, Kamarudin Meranun, Kalimullah Hassan, Lim Kian Onn and Robert Milton) whereas FD and QZ are direct ownership by AirAsia Berhad (though AA International Limited) with the maximum shareholdings that the respective governing authorities in those countries allowed. FY and MASwings are a wholly owned subsidiaries of MH.

It is clear that the comparison that I made all this while throughout this entire thread are just figures for 'MH' and 'AK' only, WITH THE UNDERSTANDING that the figures are without the inclusion of their respective subsidiaries (under different AOCs), until they are started being questioned beginning reply #92 in this thread.

I understand that some quarters here wanted to include airline this and that into their figures and not to include airline this and that into their competitor's figures so that they can 'win' some numbers but that is not the objective of this thread. I believe all MalaysianWings members knew very well which airline that is doing well, which one is not, which one is profitable and which one that is losing money.

Thank you Azizul for your detailed explanations. However you can never please everyone and Azizul we all know which is doing better. :rolleyes:

You forgot that FY also operating the non-szb routes such as from penang to thailand and indonesia,ipoh-singapore,kuantan and kt to singapore,etc...

I know but do you have numbers to support your justification? At least I have mine. SZB was mentioned because the traffic it handled mostly were FY's. For the other airports, breakdowns are just not available unless the airlines or airport operators leak it themselves.

The main point in that statement is that, how can someone claims that FY (and MASwings) handle some 2 million passengers from January - June 2010 where in comparison, the airline only handled 819,840 passengers for the whole 12 months period in 2009 at SZB, its main hub. The logic simply is not there. Of course there are other parameters to consider for 2010 (like FY's rapid growth, increase in capacity etc), but until hard evidence is made available, then we are heading somewhere.

In 2009, MH handled 11,947,000 passengers both domestic and international http://malaysiaairlines.listedcompany.com/misc/operational_statistics_Dec2009.pdf , while the number for FY can't be found anywhere. Assuming all SZB's traffic in 2009 were FY's, the percentage of FY's traffics to MH's is only 6.86% (819,840/11,947,000).

If the same % is to be applied in 2010, for the period of January - June 2010, FY's traffic is only 435,953 passengers (6.86% x 6,355,000). Of course there are MASwings figures as well, but I believe the numbers are so marginal it is almost insignificant to be considered in the grand scheme. This number is far from 2 million passengers as claimed in reply #92 above.

This thread is about statistics, so we need to treat information objectively.

I know but do you have numbers to support your justification? At least I have mine. SZB was mentioned because the traffic it handled mostly were FY's. For the other airports, breakdowns are just not available unless the airlines or airport operators leak it themselves.

The main point in that statement is that, how can someone claims that FY (and MASwings) handle some 2 million passengers from January - June 2010 where in comparison, the airline only handled 819,840 passengers for the whole 12 months period in 2009 at SZB, its main hub. The logic simply is not there. Of course there are other parameters to consider for 2010 (like FY's rapid growth, increase in capacity etc), but until hard evidence is made available, then we are heading somewhere.

In 2009, MH handled 11,947,000 passengers both domestic and international http://malaysiaairli...ics_Dec2009.pdf , while the number for FY can't be found anywhere. Assuming all SZB's traffic in 2009 were FY's, the percentage of FY's traffics to MH's is only 6.86% (819,840/11,947,000).

If the same % is to be applied in 2010, for the period of January - June 2010, FY's traffic is only 435,953 passengers (6.86% x 6,355,000). Of course there are MASwings figures as well, but I believe the numbers are so marginal it is almost insignificant to be considered in the grand scheme. This number is far from 2 million passengers as claimed in reply #92 above.

This thread is about statistics, so we need to treat information objectively.

Some people think that they know better than those who work in the industry itself...Oh Well! Be it...we shall not argue.

Edited by EddieDaniel

Some people think that they know better than those who work in the industry itself...Oh Well! Be it...we shall not argue.

doesnt mean that when people give some words to other people they think that they are much better!With only that few words already touching?This is actually a malaysian people attitude.They cannot accept a criticsm or opinion from other people when they already pro or work in certain field.If there are something that other people said wrong,you can just explain it nicely no need to get mad.

We will be delighted if you can share with us the statistics.

:drinks:

(SINGAPORE) The number of passengers handled by Changi Airport increased 15.9 per cent year on year in the first eight months of 2010.

The tally for August rose 9.6 per cent to 3.47 million passengers, taking the number for the January to August period to 27.4 million.

The latest number underscores the recovery in air travel that began in August 2009, when passenger traffic increased 0.5 per cent following almost a year-long slide.

Passengers to and from North-east and South-east Asia continued to lead growth in August this year, rising by double digits for a seventh straight month.

Singapore's Tiger Airways, Indonesia's Lion Air and Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific increased frequencies, with more flights to Bangkok, Hong Kong, Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur. The National Day long weekend also contributed to passenger growth.

Air freight through Changi grew 9.7 per cent to 155,000 tonnes in August, taking the figure for the first eight months to 1.19 million tonnes - up 15 per cent from 2009.

There were also 22,368 aircraft movements in August, up 9.1 per cent from a year back, and taking the January to August total to 172,971 movements - up 10.4 per cent from 2009.

The bullish numbers coincide with the latest forecast by the International Air Transport Association (Iata), which pegs the global airline industry's profit this year at US$8.9 billion - a sharp turnaround from last year's US$9.9 billion loss. Iata expects Asia-Pacific airlines to lead the charge by chalking up a combined profit of US$5.2 billion this year.

Changi - one of the world's top airports - serves 96 airlines operating 5,100 scheduled flights a week that connect Singapore to over 200 cities in 60 countries and territories.

Late last month, the airport welcomed its sixth Chinese carrier, Hainan Airlines, which operates four flights a week connecting Singapore with Hefei and Dalian in China. Hefei is a new city link in Changi's network.

Last week, Changi also welcomed a new cargo carrier, Tri-MG Airlines, which operates 20 flights a week to and from Jakarta and Balikpapan.

Source: http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/shippingtimes/story/0,4574,405228,00.html?

Passenger Movements At KLIA Rise To 3.025 Million In July

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 24 (Bernama) -- Total passenger movements at KL International Airport (KLIA) in July 2010 rose to 3.025 million from 2.671 million in July 2009, said Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) in a statement Friday.

In a filing to Bursa Malaysia, MAHB said international passengers amounted to 2.127 million while domestic about 899,000.

The airport operator said passenger movements for its other airports were 2.048 million in July this year compared with 1.895 million in the same month last year.

For cargo movements, KLIA recorded a total of 57.491 million kg in July 2010 compared with 52.934 million kg in July 2009.

For other airports, cargo movements rose to 22.173 million kg from 18.903 million kg.

Aircraft movements at KLIA totalled 20,949 in July 2010 million compared with 19,329 in July last year.

Aircraft movements at other airports rose to 28,807 from 26,876.

More here: http://announcements.bursamalaysia.com/EDMS/edmsweb.nsf/all/E1F3B737AE6B1742482577A800332EBC/$File/July%202010.xls

Edited by flee

Thanks flee. So with that, the year todate passengers number for KLIA from January to July 2010 is 19,273,308 (16,247,329 + 3,025,979). Average passengers handled per month is 2,753,330.

Based on the numbers as reported in this thread http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14967 , Changi handled 23.93 million passengers during the same period, which means Changi is now ahead of KLIA by 4,656,600 passengers for the first 7 months of 2010 (compared to 3,988,130 passengers for the first 6 months of 2010). The margin is increasing. Not good.

Not good but to be expected, isn't it? In a recoverying economy, Changi has more international airlines operating out of it than KLIA. KLIA depends more on its home airlines to increase traffic. As such, the increase in passenger volume will not be as large as those brouught in by the many and varied international airlines serving Changi.

Edited by flee

Following an intense discussion in this thread http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14947 about MH's blocking D7's entry into SYD, I decided to pull out the numbers so that we, MalaysianWings community, will have better understanding over the matter.

This is the detailed passengers' movements in KLIA for destinations in Australia and the South Pacific region in 2009. Data are extracted from MAHB Annual Report 2009:

TrafficAustralia2009.jpg

There are 10 destinations involved, 5 recorded a positive growth, while another 5 shrunk.

Let's peruse the 5 destinations which recorded positive growth (from the highest to the lowest):

1. Port Moresby, growth 353.5% - This destination actually recorded an extra ordinary growth since 2009 was the year when Air Niugini started plying KUL in full swing. The destination recorded 6,717 passengers (3,250 arrival + 3,467 departure) in 2009.

2. Perth, growth 65.5% - This destination is shared by both MH and D7. Total passengers number for Perth increased by 147,389 passengers from 224,566 in 2008 to 371,955 in 2009. Perth also has surpassed the passengers number for Sydney and currently the second largest market in Australia from KLIA.

3. Melbourne, growth 40.9% - This destination is also shared by MH and D7 in 2009 and in 2010, EK also joined in the foray. Total passengers number for Melbourne increased by 146,472 passengers from 358,080 in 2008 to 504,552 in 2009. Melbourne is currently the largest destination in Australia with more than 1/2 million passengers traffic from KLIA. Melbourne clinched the title from the traditional leader, Sydney, in 2008.

4. The Gold Coast, growth 23.8% - The first destination for D7 and arguably its best performer todate, this destination is entirely belongs to D7. After the first flight on 2 November 2007, this destination is keep on recording strong growth. The passengers number increased from 102,936 in 2008 to 127,462 in 2009. The Gold Coast is currently the 4th largest market in Oceania from KLIA - bigger than Auckland, Adelaide and Brisbane, which I found most surprising.

5. Christmas Island, growth 6.2% - This destination I believe is entirely belongs to MH through MAS Charter. MalaysianWings is so privileged to be able to see the insight on one of such charter flight in a thread hidden somewhere in the Flight Logbook subforum. 3,879 passengers traffic was recorded in 2009. However, the Christmas Island is not a commercial and scheduled destination.

*Note: D7 currently has 3 destinations in Australia (OOL, PER and MEL), and all 3 recorded growths.

Now let's look at the losers.

1. Avalon, -100% - This is a one off event, which can be omitted. 3 passengers movement recorded in 2008.

2. Brisbane, -29.6% - Brisbane belongs to MH entirely. Being Australia's 3rd biggest and most important city, it is very surprising to know that BNE is performing so badly. Passengers traffic declined from 90,448 in 2008 to only 63,716 in 2009. In my opinion, this has much to do with MH's practice of the triangular KUL-SYD-BNE-KUL flight, which makes MH's offering to BNE so unattractive. Given the approximate location between BNE and OOL, I guess one could tell which airline is doing well on their respective routes into Australia's Queensland.

3. Sydney, -19.6% - The destination that is being fought for. Sydney belongs entirely to MH and lost its title as the largest market in Australia from KLIA to Melbourne in 2008. The passengers movement in SYD declined by 63,143 from 322,769 in 2008 to 259,626 in 2009. SYD numbers is almost half of that of MEL, which proved how well MEL has been performing ever since the KUL-MEL vv route was opened for competition.

4. Auckland, -5.9% - Auckland belongs to MH entirely. Passengers movement down from 103,209 in 2008 to 97,084 in 2009. MH served AKL 5 times weekly with B772. Average load factor in 2009 would be 46,830/72,280 (278 seats on MH's B772 x 5 weekly flight x 52 weeks in a year) = 64.79% for AKL-KUL flight and 50,254/72,280 = 69.53% for KUL-AKL flight.

5. Adelaide, -5.3% - Adelaide also belongs to MH entirely. Passengers movement down from 91,701 in 2008 to 86,817 in 2009.

Excluding Avalon which is a special case, all the other destinations that recorded negative growth belong to MH, including what is supposed to be the largest destination in Australia and the whole of Oceania - Sydney.

So why does anyone who is in the right mind would support MH's blocking D7's entry into SYD?

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

Many thanks Azizul. :clapping:

I think that MH may have realised that the KUL-SYD-BNE service has weakened the product to both SYD and BNE. As such, they have announced that these are delinked with effect from 31 Oct 2010. MH will also be deploying its new A333s on the KUL-BNE routes when the new planes arrive.

The changes are probably too late to influence 2010 statistics but it should be interesting to see the impact of these measures in 2011.

Guest teresap989

We can also deduce that if the airport taxes are taken into consideration, MH group remains the biggest contributor to MAHB compared to AK in the Domestic Segment. I'm sure Internationally MH remains the biggest.

watch free movies online

MH group remains the biggest contributor to MAHB compared to AK in the Domestic Segment.

Not quite - this Bernama report (originally brought to our attention by Sri Ramani) has some statistics:

KUALA LUMPUR: Budget airline AirAsia overtook national carrier Malaysia Airlines (MAS) last year in terms of overall passenger volume, the Dewan Rakyat was told Wednesday.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha said AirAsia flew 15.23 million passengers last year compared to the 13.87 million recorded by MAS.

Of the AirAsia passengers, 7.2 million were international passengers while 8.03 million were domestic passengers, he said in a written reply to a question from Loke Siew Fook (DAP-Rasah).

Of the MAS passengers, 7.37 million were international passengers and 6.5 million, domestic passengers, he added. - Bernama

I think that in 2010, AirAsia will also exceed MAS numbers on the international sectors.

Edited by flee

So why does anyone who is in the right mind would support MH's blocking D7's entry into SYD?

A fresh campaign for Sydney by D7 has been launched in a super massive way!

62042_457228673544_639133544_5185193_5613767_n.jpg

AirAsia X welcomes our tenth aircraft into our fleet, 9M-XXG! 'Southern Xross', dedicated to the pioneering Aussie spirit! Look out for 'Liberate Sydney' - we will never give up! - Azran Osman Rani

It reminds me of the 'No way to BA/AA' campaign by Virgin Atlantic. Fight for it D7!

Not sure for 2010 who going to lead for the international sectors as mas also increasing frequencies and adding new destinations this year...

Edited by dean hizudy

Thanks Azizul for the detail stats. I guess they just speak for themselves and there cannot be anything much left to be said.

It seems MH best cabin crews and 5 star service wasn’t enough to keep Aussie pax happy

Many thanks Azizul.

I think that MH may have realised that the KUL-SYD-BNE service has weakened the product to both SYD and BNE. As such, they have announced that these are delinked with effect from 31 Oct 2010. MH will also be deploying its new A333s on the KUL-BNE routes when the new planes arrive.

The changes are probably too late to influence 2010 statistics but it should be interesting to see the impact of these measures in 2011.

To Sydney's defend, I think the most absurd thing that MH did to the destination are:

1. By allowing Melbourne to not only overtook, but to have a huge leap i.e. double over the number of passengers recorded in Sydney in just 2 years. Melbourne 504,552 vs Sydney 259,626. The margin is an astounding 244,926 passengers! This is very shocking considering Sydney was always ahead of Melbourne and any other destinations in Oceania in 2007 and prior.

2. By allowing Perth to overtook Sydney for the first time in history. I mean that isolated 'Perff' is ahead of Sydney!!! It's like the craziest and most unthinkable thing ever. How can Perth recorded 112,329 more passengers than Sydney (Perth 371,955 vs Sydney 259,626)? Where does this sudden increase in passengers to/from Perth came from? Why is Sydney losing to Perth when at the same time, all the other airlines (EY, QR etc) are fighting to death to fly into Kingsford Smith with SQ and EK with their multiple daily A380 flights into the airport?

Thank you very much MH, from the 'national interest' point of view, what happened at Sydney is actually a complete disaster.

For KLIA, the ranking of destinations in Oceania is surprisingly off:

(Ranking-Destination-Passengers Traffic in 2009-Growth)

1. Melbourne 504,552 (40.9%)

2. Perth 371,955 (65.6%)

3. Sydney 259,626 (-19.6%)

4. The Gold Coast 127,462 (23.8%)

5. Auckland 97,084 (-5.9%)

6. Adelaide 86,817 (-5.3%)

7. Brisbane 63,716 (-29.6%)

8. Port Moresby 6,717 (353.5%)

9. Christmas Island 3,879 (6.2%)

10. Avalon 0 (-100%)

... when by right, Sydney should be the queen mother of them all. Are we going to defend MH's monopoly into Sydney until the passengers traffic into the Gold Coast overtakes that of Sydney too?