MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Airports' & Airlines' Operational Statistics

KUL has an advantage over LHR, which is land. There is a documentary on BBC showing that in LHR, during the morning peak hours, the space between landing and taking off on one runway can be within seconds.

I think KLIA is definitely getting busier and busier. This recent year, captain seems to announce to passengers that due to traffic congestion at KLIA, flights would be delayed to land or take off. When I checked on the flight radar, I do notice many flights turning several rounds before they could make their approach for landing.

I think with KLIA 2's new runway, it should ease some traffic congestion.

Depends on who you ask actually. If you ask MAB, they will say that the congestion is due to their effort in attracting many new airlines into KUL and the result of existing airlines adding their frequencies due to the attractiveness of KUL. If you ask pilots, they will say that DCA has outdated equipments and procedures with incompetent staff, resulting in their inability to handle increased volume of traffic which LHR or even SIN can handle easily. DCA has begun upgrading their procedures and equipments to allow parallel approaches though, which should improve things.

To be fair, in 1998, KUL handled less than a third of LHR traffic. Last year, KUL handled more than half of LHR traffic. Soon it will be 2/3s of LHR traffic.

But yeah, I agree, ATC management and equipment should be upgraded.. Not build more runways!

To be fair, in 1998, KUL handled less than a third of LHR traffic. Last year, KUL handled more than half of LHR traffic. Soon it will be 2/3s of LHR traffic.

But yeah, I agree, ATC management and equipment should be upgraded.. Not build more runways!

But the runway's under MAB purview, while ATC is under DCA purview. MAB can pressure DCA to upgrade their systems faster, but they can't hold back development just because of DCA's laggard behaviour - otherwise they'd be left behind.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

But the runway's under MAB purview, while ATC is under DCA purview. MAB can pressure DCA to upgrade their systems faster, but they can't hold back development just because of DCA's laggard behaviour - otherwise they'd be left behind.

Until someone with strong cable is involved, DCA/MoT is believed to be at the bottom of food chain in budget allocation.

Malaysia’s domestic market has seen a 20% surge in passenger traffic since the launch of Indonesia's Lion Group subsidiary Malindo Air.

Malindo Air began operations at the end of Mar-2013 and now operates 25 domestic flights across 11 routes, giving it about a 7% share of capacity in the Malaysian domestic market. Malaysia’s other two main domestic carriers, AirAsia and Malaysia Airlines (MAS), have both responded by increasing capacity.

MAS has been expanding even faster than Malindo and been able to improve domestic load factors, albeit at the expense of yields. The flag carrier accounts for about 40% of the approximately 350,000 monthly passengers that have been added to Malaysia’s domestic market while AirAsia and Malindo each account for about 30%.

The 20% to 25% domestic traffic increases that have been seen in Malaysia in recent months, making it one of the world’s fastest growing domestic markets, are likely to continue for the remainder of 2013. But much more modest increases are expected over the medium to long term as Malindo and its two local competitors start to focus more on international expansion.

Malindo Air’s first five months has focused on building up domestic network

Malindo launched services on 22-Mar-2013 on Malaysia’s two biggest domestic routes, Kuala Lumpur International (KLIA) to Kota Kinabalu and Kuching with an initial fleet of two 737-900ERs in two-class configuration. Kuala Lumpur to Sibu, Miri and Tawau were added in Jun-2013 as Malindo expanded its 737-900ER fleet, which now consists of four aircraft.

The carrier also opened a separate turboprop base on 1-Jun-2013 at Kuala Lumpur’s near-city alternative airport, Subang. Malindo initially launched flights from Subang to Johor Bahru, Kota Bahru and Penang with one ATR 72-600. Another three Subang routes - to Alor Setar, Langkawi and Terengganu - were added on 1-Aug-2013. The carrier currently operates three ATR 72-600s.

Malindo competes on all five of its KLIA routes with both AirAsia and MAS. AirAsia and MAS both have at least twice as many frequencies on all five routes.

KLIA sees surge in domestic traffic

Total domestic capacity from KLIA has increased year-over-year by 29% from about 322,000 to 416,000 weekly return seats, according to CAPA and Innovata data for the week commencing 19-Aug-2013 and 20-Aug-2012. Malindo has accounted for about 30% or 27,720 of these additional seats with its current KLIA schedule of 11 daily flights with 180-seat 737-900ERs.

AirAsia has expanded its domestic capacity from KLIA by 13% year-over-year to about 221,000 weekly return seats while MAS has expanded by a more aggressive 19% to about 150,000 weekly return seats.

Full Anakysis: http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/malindo-air-launch-drives-20-surge-in-malaysia-domestic-traffic-as-mas-and-airasia-also-expand-124642

KLIA's passengers traffic up until 31 July 2013.

KLIAJul13_zpsc1ee592b.png

ACI has updated its figures up until 31 May 2013.

ACIMay13_zps220d7c3d.png

• KLIA is at world ranking no. 21. This is the highest ranking ever for KLIA in history.
  • KLIA's growth rate of 14.1% is the 3rd highest in the world among the world's top 30 airports. KLIA only loses out to IST (20.3%) and DXB (16.8%). The latest growth rate of 15.5% as at the end of July 2013 should push KLIA even further to capture DXB's growth rate. These 3 airports are also the only ones that recorded a double digit growth amongst the world's top 30 airports.
  • 4 ASEAN airports are in the world's top 30 list with CGK leading the pack (10th) followed by BKK (12th), SIN (14th) and KLIA (21st).

Nice numbers! I hope they continue making an operating profit and can make a profit overall.

I tried checking for KUL-HKG tickets for November travel and on many days, no tickets were available! MH is doing well to fill their planes. Hope the yield is good too.

I tried checking for KUL-HKG tickets for November travel and on many days, no tickets were available! MH is doing well to fill their planes. Hope the yield is good too.

Wow, full on the A380?

Wow, full on the A380?

Not sure - maybe only tickets allocated for website bookings are full. Travel/ticket agents, consolidators and tour operators might still have tickets available.

Not sure - maybe only tickets allocated for website bookings are full. Travel/ticket agents, consolidators and tour operators might still have tickets available.

Yes, usually it is the travel agency potion is the one which I think caused all these yield management problem. I think MH should be firm on its insistence to reduce % of ticket sales by travel agencies and allocate even more online, where it has 100% control over the pricing management in response to the most current supply vs demand and price fluctuation.

The business class cabin on the A380 flights to LHR and CDG are usually 80-90% full every time I check! They should consider making the whole upper deck business class if they ever decide to do a major refurbishment.

The business class cabin on the A380 flights to LHR and CDG are usually 80-90% full every time I check! They should consider making the whole upper deck business class if they ever decide to do a major refurbishment.

Perhaps add more flights...

Not if those are heavily discounted tickets. Don't forget that MAS consistently had a sold out flight with almost 3x daily B747-400 service between KUL and LHR in early 2000s but all those were loss making flights as yield was very bad. And i kind of doubt yield has actually improved as many of you may have noticed, MAS air fare is super competitive these days. Overall i actually paid a lot less than i did last year and i have also taken more MAS flights (28 this year vs 14 last year with another 8 MAS flights to go by December).

AirAsia X Berhad (“AAX” or “the company”), the long-haul, low fare airline affiliate of the AirAsia Group is pleased to announce the operating statistics for the 3rd Quarter 2013 (“3Q13”).

AAX achieved an impressive traffic volume of 4.2 billion Revenue-Passenger-KMs (“RPKs”), representing a 30% year-on-year (“y-o-y”) growth compared to the same quarter last year. The improved performance was boosted by higher capacity of 5.1 billion (+32% y-o-y) Available-Seat-KMs (“ASKs”) with a passenger load factor of above 80%. The total number of passengers carried for 3Q13 was 0.8 million, an increase of 32% y-o-y as compared to 2Q12, with North Asia and Australian routes being the key growth sectors.

During the same period of review, the operational Airbus A330-300 fleet has increased from 9 to 14 units. AAX launched two new routes this quarter, namely Busan, Korea on 15 July 2013 and Maldives via Sri Lanka on 28 September 2013; expanding its route network to a total of 17 destinations across 9 countries.

Cargo operations continue to see promising demand, carrying 8,079 tonnes of freight with 46% load factor level during 3Q13 for its existing routes.

AirAsia X remains focused on our core markets in the Asia Pacific region. We intend to continue to grow our route network in markets where we can maintain or build up to a market leadership position.

AirAsia Berhad (“AirAsia” or “the company”) is pleased to announce the operating statistics for the 3rd Quarter 2013 (“3Q13”).

In 3Q13, the Group* recorded a load factor of 76%. The total number of passengers carried for the whole Group grew by 27% year-on-year (“y-o-y”) to approximately 10.61 million continuing its’ double digit passenger phenomenal growth, in line with the increase in capacity which stood at 29%. AirAsia Group took in 32 additional aircraft y-o-y, which brings its total fleet at the end of September 2013 to 137 (142 including aircraft that were still located in Japan). Note that this is the first time Zest Air figures are consolidated under Philippines’ AirAsia and the Group. In addition, following the dissolution of AirAsia Japan (“AAJ”), AAJ’s numbers are excluded from the Group’s figures.
Malaysia AirAsia (“MAA”) maintained a load factor of 77% in 3Q13 despite being a non-peak quarter due to the fasting month for the Muslims. Compared to last period last year, MAA added additional 7 aircraft part of its capacity management. With its continuous load active and yield passive strategy, MAA reported a passenger increase of 11% y-o-y at 5.3 million matching with the 11% capacity increase. MAA will continue to focus on increasing market share on trunk routes through frequency increase plus continue to provide new unique routes to its passengers. MAA added frequencies on routes include Kuala Lumpur – Kunming, Banda Acheh, Tiruchirappalli, and Pekan Baru and introduced a new unique route this quarter – daily flights from Kota Kinabalu to Hangzhou.
Thai AirAsia (“TAA”) continues to record an impressive load factor of 83% in 3Q13 - 1 ppt increase y-o-y. The number of passengers carried increased by 30% to 2.6 million, ahead of its increase in capacity of 27%, suggesting a huge growth opportunity in the market. During the quarter, TAA increased its frequencies in three routes which were from Bangkok to Chong Qing, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. Y-o-y, TAA took in an additional of 6 aircraft (2 aircraft this quarter), bringing its total number of fleet to 31 at the end of September 2013.
Indonesia AirAsia (“IAA”) posted a load factor of 75% in 3Q13 - down 3 ppt y-o-y contributed from a record capacity of 41% y-o-y. The increase of capacity was part of its capacity management targeting the introduction of more international routes and increasing frequencies on key domestic routes.Despite the slight decline in load factor, passenger growth y-o-y was up 36% highlighting IAA’s success in expanding its offline distribution channel and gaining more market domestic share . Five new routes that was introduced are: Bali – Darwin, Bali – Kota Kinabalu, Medan – Singapore, Surabaya – Singapore, Makassar – Singapore. In addition to that, IAA increased its frequencies in two routes: Medan – Jakarta, Jakarta – Jogyakarta. At the end of the quarter, IAA has a total of 26 aircraft, an additional of 7 aircraft y-o-y (2 were added this quarter).
The operating statistics for Philippines’AirAsia (“PAA”) for this quarter moving forward is a consolidation of PAA’s and Zest Air’s statistics and also the launch of a unified brand of AirAsia Zest which will bring stronger brand awareness. In 3Q13, PAA reported a 4 ppts y-o-y increase in its load factor to 59%. Total number of passenger carried was 0.73 million – up 525% y-o-y, with a capacity increase of 483% y-o-y. The increase in PAA’s operating numbers was due to the focus on Manila slots. PAA has increased its frequencies in five of its Manila routes and one in its Clark route: Manila – Shanghai, Cebu, Kalibo, Bacolod, Tacloban and Clark – Hong Kong. At the end of the period, PAA has a total of 14 aircraft which is an increase of 12 aircraft y-o-y. Moving forward, the hub in Clark will cease operations and will be moved to Manila.
*Group refers to MAA, TAA, IAA, & PAA

Malaysia Airlines System pax up 44% in Sep-2013, cargo traffic up 4%

http://ir.chartnexus.com/mas/doc/os/Website 2013_09.pdf

Good job MH! Let's see mh quater result next week

It was full on KUL - LHR vv too....

even in business class

Agree with u.

Also for CDG-KUL always full. My uncle was put into waiting list for C class. But still can't get the seat