MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Airports' & Airlines' Operational Statistics

SIN total pax up to Sep 09 is 26,685k while its total international pax is 25,845k. That's mean there are 840,000 "non-international" (or domestic) pax in SIN ? Similarly to HKG as well.

Yes, I also saw the differences of numbers for airports that supposedly don't handle any domestic flights like SIN, HKG and DXB. But probably the differences are made of cargo flights, charters, military or special movements? These data are from Airport Council International.

Anyway, here are the numbers up until 30 November 2009:

Total passengers handled Year To Date 2009 Up until November

PaxNov.jpg

Soekarno-Hatta is still short to pass Changi for the first time. The bottom 5 places look very stiff, Kingsford Smith re-enters the top 30 places. Also interesting to watch is the Hong Kong - Kennedy match and also will Dubai gets to pass Vegas?

Total cargo handled Year To Date 2009 Up until November

CargoNov.jpg

KUL fall 2 places in the rank, down from no. 27 to no. 29. As mentioned in the news article above, KUL handled 803,964 tonne of cargo by 31 December 2009, a decline of 13.8% when compared to 2008. I wonder whether the amount will tally in the end.

Total international passengers handled Year To Date 2009 Up until November

IntPaxNov.jpg

KUL's placing improved to no. 19 from no. 20 in the previous month.

Well done !!! :good:

Singapore Airport Passenger, Cargo Traffic Up 19 Pct

April 29, 2010

Singapore's Changi Airport, Asia's fifth largest, saw an 18.8 percent rise in air freight movements by tonnage in March from a year ago, indicating strong demand for goods, data showed on Thursday.

The airport also recorded an 18.8 percent rise in the passenger movement in the same month, its third consecutive double digit growth in passenger traffic.

Changi Airport Group said it handled 3.45 million passengers last month, and 157,211 tonnes of airfreight.

The improvement comes after airline industry body IATA said on Wednesday that demand for both international air travel and air freight accelerated in March with the rebound on the back of economic recovery exceeding expectations.

However the recovery might be dented a bit by the closure of large parts of European airspace in April due to the volcanic ash from the eruption in Iceland, which caused thousands of flights to be cancelled, affecting millions of people.

Singapore Airlines said this month it filled 72.9 percent of the passenger and cargo space available on its planes in March, up from 62.6 percent a year ago and 71.4 percent in February.

(Reuters)

Great start for KUL in 2010!

Passenger And Cargo Traffic Up In Line With Economic Growth

PUTRAJAYA, May 26 (Bernama) -- The country's economy which expanded by 10.1 per cent in the first quarter this year also gave boost to air passenger and cargo traffic during the period.

Transport Minister, Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat said passenger traffic went up 21.2 per cent to 13.8 million passengers compared with 11.3 million passengers in the same period of last year.

"This was a jump," he told reporters before chairing a post cabinet meeting at his ministry here Wednesday.

He said the KL International Airport (KLIA) handled the largest number of passengers, accounting for 7.9 million passengers or 57.7 per cent of the total number of people who travelled by air.

It was a rise by 24.5 per cent.

The Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) meanwhile handled 3.5 million passengers compared with 2.8 million passengers in the corresponding period of last year, a rise by 25 per cent.

As for cargo performance, Ong said the traffic went up 19.7 per cent in the first quarter of this year with 211,092 metric tonnes handled compared with 176,355 metric tonnes handled previously.

KLIA handled the majority of the cargo, taking up 154,098 metric tonnes or 73 per cent of the total cargo. It was an increase of 25.7 per cent from the previous figure.

LCCT saw an increase of 184.4 per cent in cargo handled or by 11,919 metric tonnes compared with the previous corresponding period.

--BERNAMA

MAHB's 2009 Annual Report is out and here are some of the interesting statistics that I would like to share:

http://www.malaysiaairports.com.my/view.php?dbIndex=0&&website_id=129&&id=1425

KUL handled 29,682,093 passengers movement in 2009, up 7.8% from 27,529,355 in 2008. We can expect KUL to break into the 30 million+ passengers category this year. Suvarnabhumi and Changi are not that far from reach, but caution about Soekarno-Hatta. Nevertheless bravo!

Malaysia's busiest airports by passengers movement (more than 1 million passengers) [except JHB which is privately owned]:

1. KUL - 29,682,093 (+ 7.8%)

2. BKI - 4,868,526 (+ 3.8%)

3. KCH - 3,574,632 (+ 10.4%)

4. PEN - 3,325,423 (- 2.4%)

5. MYY - 1,620,345 (+ 5.4%)

6. LGK - 1,359,271 (+ 13.6%)

7. KBR - 1,003,162 (+ 20.0%)

Despite many complaints by KCH based MW members about nobody wanted to fly into their airport, airlines are cutting or terminating service there etc, the numbers surprisingly proved otherwise. KCH overtook PEN back as Malaysia's 3rd busiest airport with a double digit growth. KBR was a total shocker to break through into the 1 million+ category. Kelate boleh sokmo!

There are also 3 airports, which is all set to break into the 1 million+ category in 2010, if they can maintain their growth:

1. SBW - 939,732 (+ 13.0%)

2. TWU - 866,601 (+ 12.7%)

3. SZB - 819,840 (+ 166.4%)

Two (2) airports recorded an extraordinary growth, IPH (308.1%) and SZB (166.4%) but these numbers are expected due to the emergence of these 2 airports as FireFly's key destinations. The airport which recorded the highest growth under normal circumstances is AOR (+ 37.0%) while MKZ is the worst performer (- 21.8%).

BKI is Malaysia's busiest airport for domestic transfer passengers while KUL of course, for international transfer passengers.

It seems that MAHB is no longer operating STOL in Sabah, or there may not be anymore STOL in Sabah (?)

Sorry to refer to earlier post of yours Azizul, but how can Singapore have 33.3 million TOTAL passengers, but only 32.3 million INTERNATIONAL passengers?

So 1 million passengers travel from Changi to Seletar? :D

What am I missing here?

Sorry to refer to earlier post of yours Azizul, but how can Singapore have 33.3 million TOTAL passengers, but only 32.3 million INTERNATIONAL passengers? So 1 million passengers travel from Changi to Seletar? What am I missing here?

I think I answered that before.

Yes, I also saw the differences of numbers for airports that supposedly don't handle any domestic flights like SIN, HKG and DXB. But probably the differences are made of cargo flights, charters, military or special movements? These data are from Airport Council International.

Or maybe SIN supplied wrong data to ACI.

MAHB's 2009 Annual Report is out and here are some of the interesting statistics that I would like to share:

KUL handled 29,682,093 passengers movement in 2009, up 7.8% from 27,529,355 in 2008. We can expect KUL to break into the 30 million+ passengers category this year. Suvarnabhumi and Changi are not that far from reach, but caution about Soekarno-Hatta. Nevertheless bravo!

Malaysia's busiest airports by passengers movement (more than 1 million passengers) [except JHB which is privately owned]:

Despite many complaints by KCH based MW members about nobody wanted to fly into their airport, airlines are cutting or terminating service there etc, the numbers surprisingly proved otherwise. KCH overtook PEN back as Malaysia's 3rd busiest airport with a double digit growth. KBR was a total shocker to break through into the 1 million+ category. Kelate boleh sokmo!

There are also 3 airports, which is all set to break into the 1 million+ category in 2010, if they can maintain their growth:

1. SBW - 939,732 (+ 13.0%)

2. TWU - 866,601 (+ 12.7%)

3. SZB - 819,840 (+ 166.4%)

Two (2) airports recorded an extraordinary growth, IPH (308.1%) and SZB (166.4%) but these numbers are expected due to the emergence of these 2 airports as FireFly's key destinations. The airport which recorded the highest growth under normal circumstances is AOR (+ 37.0%) while MKZ is the worst performer (- 21.8%).

BKI is Malaysia's busiest airport for domestic transfer passengers while KUL of course, for international transfer passengers.

It seems that MAHB is no longer operating STOL in Sabah, or there may not be anymore STOL in Sabah (?)

Thanks for the updates and summary....I hope KCH will maintain the figure....2010 will be difficult for KCH....

Azizul,

Thanks for your analysis. Yes it is a little surprising to see PEN slip - perhaps the SQ pull out is affecting arrivals. However, I think that for 2010, it should recover since AK has opened up some new routes out of PEN.

KBR is no surprise as I see most AK, MH and FY flights are packed. I guess the absence of a convenient road and rail transport system is causing the people to use air services.

I guess the absence of a convenient road and rail transport system is causing the people to use air services.

Nothing new :)

Why do you think us people here in Sabah/Sarawak 'like' to fly so much ?! :D

I'm surprised that KUL handles almost 30 million passengers a year! But I suppose a significant portion comes from the LCCT. I'm also shocked that SYD only handles about 30 million passengers a year! :o

In Australia, you don't have to go through SYD to get to other places. PER, MEL, ADL, and BNE offer flights to DXB, KUL, SIN and others without having to transit at SYD. But from Malaysia, you need to go through KUL to go to those places. Talk about KUL-centric.

In Australia, you don't have to go through SYD to get to other places. PER, MEL, ADL, and BNE offer flights to DXB, KUL, SIN and others without having to transit at SYD. But from Malaysia, you need to go through KUL to go to those places. Talk about KUL-centric.

That is so true, perhaps, because Australia is such a huge country would not be economical for people from PER to transit at SYD for flight to Europe.

In Malaysia, not many people can afford to fly internationally or have no reason to do so, so bringing the whole traffic into one place, i.e. KUL will be more economical than operating flights out of a few different places.

Edited by Johan Z

From the same annual report:

10 LARGEST AIRLINES IN KUL (INTERNATIONAL SECTOR)

Top10Int.jpg

10LargestKUL.jpg

10LargestKUL07.jpg

Some notes to share:

MH's market share further spiraling down from 38.4% in 2008 to 33.1% in 2009. Kindly be informed that MH held 45.4% of international sector market share in KUL in 2007. MH carried 450,905 less passengers in 2009 than it did in 2008.

On the other hand, AK's market share improved from 21.1% in 2008 to 25.5% in 2009. AK carried 1,192,382 more international passengers in 2009 than it did in 2008.

The difference of passengers number between MH and AK is 1,490,774 in 2009, compared to 3,134,061 passengers in 2008. AK is fast becoming the largest international airline in KUL.

The figures for AK above are for 'AK' coded flights only, which means it excluded its sister airlines - D7, QZ and FD. As a group, the AirAsia group has already clinched the title of the largest airline group operating in KUL.

Also interesting to note as well, out of the top 10 international airlines in KUL, 3 of them belong to the AirAsia group, while another 2 belong to the SIA group.

All 3 global alliances are well represented by the top 10 international airlines in KUL - OneWorld with CX, Star with SQ, TG and MI while SkyTeam with KL. Airlines with global alliances association comprised of 50% of the top 10 international airlines in KUL.

Out of the 10 largest airlines in KUL, 3 are LCC, while the other 7 are legacy.

2009 vs 2008 Other Gainers and Losers

Gainers

- AirAsia X gained 724,305 passengers, improved market share in KUL from 1.4% to 5%

- Indonesia AirAsia gained 275,006 passengers

- Emirates gained 45,782 passengers

- KLM gained 31,590 passengers

- Silk Air made an impressive debut into the top 10 with 302,160 passengers movement, controlling 1.5% of KUL international market share

Losers

- Cathay Pacific lost 10,854 passengers

- Singapore Airlines lost 436,596 passengers. Market share dipped from 6.4% in 2007 to only 2.5% in 2009. SQ used to carry more than 1 million passengers in KUL in 2007 and prior

- Thai Airways lost 46,836 passengers

- Qatar Airways was no longer a top 10 airline in KUL

The massive dip of SQ's market share and MI's sudden rise is inter-related as SQ handed over quite a bulk of their flights to MI when the KUL-SIN vv route was liberalised since October 2008.

The largest foreign airline in KUL for international sector is QZ, surprise, surprise!

One does not have to be a University Graduate to see the success of KBR. It's obvious, for the following reasons: -

1. The longest distance, time and not 100% Highway by road from KL. Hello!

2. A large number of successfull Kelantanese works in KL. I noticed the "NIKs" are well known for business skills. We have one with MH here right?

And the next few are more physicological influences....

3. Pahamin ( A kelantanese) and it's links to AK may have created some sense of strong "Kelantan" connection to AK.

4. MH and the Wau logo, may have also similar vibes to the East Coast ( including Kelantan).

The question here is KBR capable of accomodating such pax. volume? I don't think so; if not, what is the game plan?

The question here is KBR capable of accomodating such pax. volume? I don't think so; if not, what is the game plan?

The plan to upgrade KBR has been announced.

TRC Synergy unit secures RM45m job for Kota Baru airport

By The Edge Financial Daily

Wednesday, 19 May 2010 22:36

KUALA LUMPUR: TRC Synergy Bhd's unit Trans Resources Corp Sdn Bhd has secured a RM45 million contract to upgrade the Sultan Ismail Petra airport in Kota Baru.

TRC said on Wednesday, May 19, its unit received the letter of acceptance from Wira Akil Holdings Sdn Bhd on Monday.

"The letter of acceptance from Wira Akil is subsequent to an award being given by the Ministry of Transport to Wira Akil whereby TRC is named as the sub-contractor for the project," it said.

The plan to upgrade KBR has been announced.

Details please. RM 46 million what is it for? Will it be

1 Terminal expansion? Which part... Departure Gates, Baggage Reclaim @ Arrival or Landside Area?

2 Increasing aircraft bays? Specifically Remote or Full Contact Stands?

3 Bay upgrades to Code D / E ?

4 RNWY expansion / upgrade? Is it just the Length or supporting TXWY ?

The amount mentioned would not be enough for all and IMHO KBR desperately need all of the above.

From MH international pax number;

2007 7,838,025,

2008 6,966,421

2009 6,515,516

Believe MH need more than ‘5 star rating’, ‘Best cabin crew’ and BTP X to compete internationally.

:drinks:

While on the domestic front:

Domestic.jpg

Domestic08.jpg

Domestic07.jpg

In my opinion, 2009 was a very important year for MH as it put their declining passengers number on the domestic market at KUL to an end once and for all. At around 4.4 million passengers, MH has finally reached its ideal passengers number and can now breath a bit easy as the numbers have now became stagnant, there would probably no more or very insignificant amount of passengers crossover from MH to AK. MH can now concentrate on growth once again.

AK as usual, stellar as ever with (still) a double digit growth even after all these years. On the domestic front in KUL, AK is unstopped-able!

Our domestic market in KUL is getting larger. Only 4,168 passengers shy away from reaching 10 million passengers. AK controlled 56% of domestic market shares in KUL while MH 44% in 2009.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

Wud be interesting to c the impact of SZB and FY in the above KUL performance within the Domestic Services. If MH/FY is considered as one group, they may be "regaining" some numbers.

The other thing is the appox. 10 million total pax. wud also mean that every 1 in 2.7 Malaysians do travel in/out of KUL annually. Not Bad.

..... mean that every 1 in 2.7 Malaysians do travel in/out of KUL annually. Not Bad.

Reality more likely to be that only a small percentage of the population "do travel in/out of KUL" multiple times annually but the vast majority either stay put or make do with other modes of transport :)

Reality more likely to be that only a small percentage of the population "do travel in/out of KUL" multiple times annually but the vast majority either stay put or make do with other modes of transport :)

that is likely to be the true picture but you also need to remember that there are also tourist who travel on domestic routes...

Edited by Dr Frasier

..... there are also tourist who travel on domestic routes...

That would dilute the "1 in 2.7 Malaysians" ratio even further, no ? :pardon:

Wud be interesting to c the impact of SZB and FY in the above KUL performance within the Domestic Services. If MH/FY is considered as one group, they may be "regaining" some numbers.

Ok let see. SZB recorded 819,840 passengers movement in 2009. Out of this, 670,336 (334,743 arrival + 335,593 departure) is for domestic sector. And SZB handled not only FY, but also Berjaya Air (and a few other Indonesian smaller carriers I suppose), but since Berjaya Air et. al. traffic is minimal, we can safely assume that all figures are for FY.

Therefore, if SZB and KUL traffics are combined, for domestic sector:

Malaysia Airlines + FireFly (4,407,339 + 670,336) = 5,077,675

AirAsia 5,588,493

AK is still the largest domestic airline in Kuala Lumpur (both KUL and SZB) by 500,000 passengers margin when compared to MH + FY. Market share of AK is 52% while MH + FY is 48%.