MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Adam Amir

traveling with the swine flu?

now i think the swine flu case is becoming like the case where they found some dangerous chemical in dairy products. serious at first but slowly fade away.

Just thought I ask the sickness (epidemic not exactly the right definition anymore) had subsided, right? No new cases in Malaysia and the number of death due to H1N1 had stopped, right?

traveling back via MH 1 tomorrow. Anybody knows what screening process we have to go through at Heathrow or KLIA ?

traveling back via MH 1 tomorrow. Anybody knows what screening process we have to go through at Heathrow or KLIA ?

i guess this reply is too late. what kind of security check did u go through that is diffrenet from normal inspection?

i guess this reply is too late. what kind of security check did u go through that is diffrenet from normal inspection?

nothing out of the ordinary :)

just had to fill in a form, and the 2 nurses waved me through. in fact, only 1 of 2 thermal stations at immigration was manned :finger:

after that was on a flight back to btu. same procedure upon arrival. seems only foreigners are subject to their body temp being taken as I was not given a 2nd look even after stating i came from a H1N1 "hotzone" . Going off to KL again today :yahoo:

Have been flying to FRA/DOH/CPT/DXB/IAH/CPH since the out-break of swine-flu, and nowhere have I been checked and/or had to fill in forms...

Was surprised 'nothing' happened at IAH, being so close to Mexico...

One Filipino was really coughing (and looked like sweating) one row ahead on our QR DOH-FRA flight, so we decided to change seats and moved 5 rows further down...luckily, we both have no 'flu signals' as yet... :pardon:

Just wanted to check have you defer your travelling plans due to the current flu outbreak? The number of positive cases seems to be increasing although number of death seems to have stopped.

Just now on the Chinese news the poll asked the same question and only 15% respondent said they will continue with their travelling plans.

There is good news and bad news here :

WHO declares swine flu pandemic

The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared a global flu pandemic after holding an emergency meeting.

It means the swine flu virus is spreading in at least two regions of the world with rising cases being seen in the UK, Australia, Japan and Chile.

WHO chief Dr Margaret Chan said the move did not mean the virus was causing more severe illness or more deaths.

The swine flu (H1N1) virus first emerged in Mexico in April and has since spread to 74 countries.

Official reports say there have been nearly 30,000 cases globally and 141 deaths, with figures rising daily.

Hong Kong said it was closing all its nurseries and primary schools for two weeks following 12 school cases.

It is the first flu pandemic in 40 years - the last in 1968 killed about one million people.

However, the current pandemic seems to be moderate and causing mild illness in most people.

read in full here

I guess they have to be very very careful in the current fragile economic environment not to trigger off another panic that could derail the recovery efforts by various governments around the world (uncle Sam's very very expensive experiment in particular :) )

There is good news and bad news here :

I guess they have to be very very careful in the current fragile economic environment not to trigger off another panic that could derail the recovery efforts by various governments around the world (uncle Sam's very very expensive experiment in particular :) )

PANDEMIC! It's already highest level of alert. What happens next is entirely up to the people now.

Just wanted to check did anyone of you got a flu jab before traveling recently?

Just wanted to check did anyone of you got a flu jab before traveling recently?

I did just get a flu vaccine. This is only of the "normal" flu. I take this jab every year to save me the "trouble" of getting sick. i recommend this to everyone. It cost around RM120 to RM140. Get one at the start of the year as it will be the latest "updated" vaccine. The anti-bodies take about 10 days to work. The vaccine is in short supply at the moment, I had to go to 3 clinics to find one with stock.

There is at the moment NO vaccine for AH1N1 but one is expected in a few months.

And yes, I am traveling soon and don't have any plans of changing my travel.

Confirmed first case in KK.

PUTRAJAYA: Malaysia has confirmed five more cases of people infected with Influenza A (H1N1), bringing the total number of cases to 17, said Health Ministry Director-General Tan Sri Dr Ismail Merican.

All the five new confirmed cases were imported.

The 13th case is a 12-year-old Malaysian male student who returned from a holiday in Manila and is now in Hospital Sungei Buloh. His mother is under quarantine.

The 14th case is a British tourist, 25, who is now warded in Hospital Tengku Ampuan Afzan in Kuantan after showing symptoms in Pulau Tioman. His girlfriend is now under quarantine.

The 15th case is a Malaysian permanent resident, 16, studying in Melbourne who returned here for the holidays. His family is under quarantine. He is warded in Hospital Sungei Buloh.

The 16th case is a resident of America, a 14-year-old student who came to visit her family in Sabah. She is now in Hospital Queen Elizabeth in Kota Kinabalu.

The 17th case is a Malaysian woman, 26, who had returned after a holiday in Melbourne and is now warded in Hospital Sungai Buloh.

The passengers and crew of the respective flights were being traced, he said in a statement.

On a side note, do you wear mask doing your every day chores now?

Edited by waiping

Confirmed first case in KK.

On a side note, do you wear mask doing your every day chores now?

Of the five new cases, 2 of it came from Melbourne. Hmmm.......

Aye, somehow I thought at the moment not everyone is giving this a serious thought. Hmm...

Melbourne is one of the world's leading exporter of swine flu now..

I think partly due to the winter there, most people get a flu or sorts

Melbourne is one of the world's leading exporter of swine flu now..

I think partly due to the winter there, most people get a flu or sorts

Yup, the swine flu capital.

How's the situation in Perth ?

It's apparently reached Christmas Island as well.

hi all, just came back from LAX today. nothing at all. its like there is NO SWINE FLU AT ALL!!! it seems like malaysia is being WAY too uptight. coming back to malaysia, go through thermal camera, but you would hardly notice it, and give forms to 2 nurses who dont really care what you put in it. and then your free to go. nothing serious, unless one of the passengers gets the flu, then im going down with them =.=

hi all, just came back from LAX today. nothing at all. its like there is NO SWINE FLU AT ALL!!! it seems like malaysia is being WAY too uptight. coming back to malaysia, go through thermal camera, but you would hardly notice it, and give forms to 2 nurses who dont really care what you put in it. and then your free to go. nothing serious, unless one of the passengers gets the flu, then im going down with them =.=

Despite being way too uptight the number of cases here has been steadily increasing. One confirmed case in KK happens to travel from US.

Yup, the swine flu capital.

How's the situation in Perth ?

It's apparently reached Christmas Island as well.

Perth is ok.. i personally only heard one case and that person only has sore throat, so no big deal...just quarantine and some antiviral

OK, this is a milestone - the pandemic is indeed here. For details, read this doc (in Malay):

http://www.moh.gov.my/MohPortal/DownloadSe...3294&type=2

===

Published: Wednesday June 17, 2009 MYT 5:18:00 PM

Updated: Wednesday June 17, 2009 MYT 5:20:45 PM

A (H1N1): First locally-transmitted case confirmed

PUTRAJAYA: A 17-year-old girl admitted at the University Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) has been confirmed as the first person who has caught Influenza A (H1N1).

The girl was in contact with a confirmed patient who had returned from Melbourne on June 10 although she herself -- the 19th confirmed case in Malaysia to date -- had not visited any countries with confirmed cases of the flu.

She was coughing, one of the symptoms of the flu, at 9pm last Sunday and began developing a fever the following day, the Health Ministry said in a statement.

She went to UMMC that morning and was subsequently referred to Sungai Buloh Hospital at 10am.

During investigations, the girl reported that she had had contact with the student who returned from Melbourne, the 12th positive case, last Saturday.

She was however not declared as a contact by that person.

This resulted in the current case not being monitored and quarantined and as a consequence, another 20 people had been in contact with her and have been exposed to the flu virus.

Besides the girl, four other people were also confirmed over the last 24 hours to have caught the flu. They are all imported cases.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...&sec=nation

OK, this is a milestone - the pandemic is indeed here. For details, read this doc (in Malay):

http://www.moh.gov.my/MohPortal/DownloadSe...3294&type=2

===

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...&sec=nation

I guess we are in the club now. :(

Edited by waiping

Despite being way too uptight the number of cases here has been steadily increasing. One confirmed case in KK happens to travel from US.

Yes. A 14-year-old Malaysian girl, also an American PR. Currently still in Queen Elizabeth Hospital, KK.

H1N1: Bid to track down 20 other airline passengers

Kota Kinabalu: Efforts are underway to locate 20 other passengers who arrived on Malaysia Airlines flight MH385 on which a girl student was later found positive to the influenza A(H1N1) here last week.

Sabah Health Department Director Dr Marzuki Mohd Isa said all the passengers, of various nationalities, disembarked from the aircraft that landed from Hong Kong at the Kota Kinabalu International Airport on Saturday.

Excluding the flight crew, those onboard comprised three Malaysians (including the 15-year-old girl and her mother returning from US), Chinese nationals (10), American (1), Singaporean (1), British (4), Canadians (2) and Dutch (1).

"There were 22 passengers including the girl and they all came down in the capital," he said, in a phone interview from Kuala Lumpur, Tuesday.

"My staff should be doing that (contacting the passengers and flight crew) right now," he pointed out, adding they have their contact numbers.

Marzuki advised those on the flight, or people who have come in contact with the passengers, to seek health advice from the nearest hospital.

The public can contact the State Health Department at 088-219455 for any information or assistance.

Meanwhile, Marzuki said the girl, a Malaysian who was studying in the United States, was recovering at the Lingzhi quarantine centre in Kepayan.

"She is being given anti-viral treatment and is doing fine."

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Infectious Diseases Consultant, Dr Timothy William disclosed that the girl's mother is not a suspected H1N1 case.

"She has not developed any symptom," he said, adding the woman has opted to be in the centre out of concern for her daughter.

"If someone comes in close contact with a patient confirmed with influenza A(H1N1), for example within a metre away or in the same airplane, the person will be placed under home quarantine for seven days," he explained.

In the event symptoms begin to show within that period, they will become case suspects and placed in the isolation centre for further investigations.

The whole idea is for such people not to mix with the general public for fear of an outbreak.

Source: Daily Express

Published on: Wednesday, June 17, 2009

huhu...22 passengers only for HKG-BKI flight...

huhu...22 passengers only for HKG-BKI flight...

And i wondered why ? Because the KA operated flight is always full to the brim.

Sign in to follow this