MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
V Wong

AK seating policy

From Malaysiakini:

"AirAsia's ad-hoc seating an unnecessary hassle

Lynn ML Cheang | Apr 17, 09 2:33pm

I write to highlight a flaw in AirAsia's seat allocation policy and hope that AirAsia will take notice and do something to correct it.

MCPX

I booked in June 2007 to fly Kuching/Penang on 08/03/2009 and return Penang/Kuching on 12/04/2009 for my family of four and pre-booked four meals during flight. My last travel via AirAsia had been in March 2007. At that time, the policy was still on a free seating basis.

On checking in and being issued boarding passes, I was pleasantly surprised to note that we were being allocated seating. It never occurred to us to check the sequence of the seats assigned to us as my son who did the check-in handed to us individually our boarding passes.

Imagine my shock when we were on board to find the four of us separated into three different locations. The lady who took my seat pleaded to exchange her seat with mine as she thought I was travelling alone and I was allocated a seat next to her husband whilst she was allocated a seat three rows away on the opposite aisle.

I grudgingly acceded but became anxious when I suddenly remembered I had pre-booked dinners without my family members being aware about it. I asked the cabin crew and was told that we could exchange seats after the plane took off but that left me even more unhappy as I take issue to having to plead with other passengers for a favour to exchange their seat with mine.

When the plane was airborne, I managed to exchange seats so that my husband, daughter and myself were next to each other. I personally witnessed three other groups of passengers complaining amongst themselves about being separated and that it was a deliberate action by AirAsia to get people to pay extra money.

I managed to speak to the chief steward who explained the policy change in Oct/Nov 2008. He assisted to ensure that my son, seated several rows away, got his dinner and gave me a complaint form to complete as I wanted the backroom people of AirAsia to do something about this.

Consequently, the captain came and explained the whole policy again and replied rather loudly that it was all clearly stated on the website. I told him that I booked way back in June when the seating policy had not been changed and was therefore not aware about it; neither did we receive any SMS about it too.

Furthermore, we had checked in by presenting all four identity cards together so the check-in personnel couldn't have been so dumb as to purposely put us in separate seats all over the plane. It would have been outright illogical and unreasonable.

And we checked in very early, more than 90 minutes before ETD. I further told him that all this confusion and hassle needed to be reverted back to the policy-makers and IT personnel as there were several others experiencing the same treatment except that I was assertive enough to be vocal about it. I had intended to let the matter end there.

However yesterday, upon returning to work, my employee and her family of six whom I assisted with the booking for the same period to Kuala Lumpur complained to me of the same hassle.

Hers was worse as she is only a simple, kampung lady with two children, Farouk, aged 8, and Shima, aged 10, being allocated seats all by themselves surrounded by strangers and this was the first time on board an airplane for them.

Naturally the children were in tears and the mother had to plead with the total strangers seated next to her to exchange seats with her two small children. She said they had also checked in early having departed from home at 3pm for a 5.15pm flight to KL.

Again it was the same scenario on the return trip KL/Kuching even though she had requested the AirAsia personnel on duty at check-in for close seating to which the AirAsia personnel responded to in the affirmative.

She also said that when she asked the cabin crew, all they said was that she could exchange seats when the plane was airborne. As if that would eliminate the hassle.

AirAsia should take note of this predicament at their frontline and make immediate adjustments to their seating policy procedures so as not to put passengers in a state of distress, especially first time travellers, the elderly, the young and the illiterate.

This present situation only imposes the perception that AirAsia is patronising and this is a deliberate attempt to make more revenue and places unnecessary pressure on its frontline staff, ie the cabin crew. "

My own experience:

On a recent trip for three to DPS via AK, the three of us were separated, despite tickets purchased on one single booking and checked-in together. And load factor was only around 50%!

On return trip requested to be seated together. Told by check-in agent in DPS it was not possible. She said she would be fined (monetary)by AK if she were to change the computer generated randomly assigned seat. She said don't worry, only 81 out of 180 seats were occupied, can change seats later on flight. If this is not blatant money making scheme by AK, I don't know what it is....

Edited by V Wong

My team of 6 pax travelling on the same flights ended up scattered all over the A320 on our way back from KUL. I can't help but think this is a ploy by AK to have us pay the additional 5 bucks for confirmed seat. :angry:

Once again this should be posted on Malaysiakini to get some attention. :angry:

Just experienced this on a flight to/from Langkawi. Had 19 people - some children

If a booking is made, then surely, the seats should be allocated together on the one booking....

Last month went to KL, ask for window seat, then I got it hehe

My friend also seated same row with me ..

I'm still puzzle how the system allocated the seat ..

Last month went to KL, ask for window seat, then I got it hehe

My friend also seated same row with me ..

I'm still puzzle how the system allocated the seat ..

Depends on the ticketing staff's mood...

Depends on the ticketing staff's mood...

I'm thinking the same answer too ..

They can assigned it, or just left the system randomly select the seat

Couldn't have said it better myself. Personally, I don't mind if random seating doesnt give me a window seat. What I do mind is AK randomly assigning group travelling passengers all over the plane. Can't they just do one better and allow groups to sit together if they request or check in together?

Sounds like another AK money milking scheme to me.

I think they can assigned the seat if they want it ...

I don't believe the computer (AK computer system) do it 100 % ..

Edited by Nizam

I think they can assigned the seat if they want it ...

I don't believe the computer (AK computer system) do it 100 % ..

Well I remember reading somewhere that it's 100% random assignment by computer, just can't remember where I read it. But even if it's not computerized and it's the AK check-in staff who do seat assignment, why on earth wouldn't or can't they assign groups together? Doesn't really make sense to me.

From what i heard, ground staff can select seats for passengers. But it's tedious as they need to key in a line of sophisticated check in counter machine language which is quite mafan and time consuming.

Edited by Walter Sim

I still remember last month trip, bring my futsal team to KL

We have 9 members in the group ..

I asked the staff to put us together ..

She informed that 100 % computer generated .. so I didn't say more

Then what happened ?

Me and 2 others seat at same rows .. another 3 seat at the back (same rows), the balance also seat the same row ..

The return journey also got the similar things

That's why I believe they have a control with the system

100 % control by a computer ? Don't think so

It is just a gimmick to ask people to buy their expensive hot seat

Kuching -->> KL

3455303073_e2204e7e3c.jpg

KL -->> Kuching

3455303081_c304420409.jpg

Edited by Nizam

This is what I had experience on my last week flight from KUL-BKI.

It state that if people who are travel not with the same itinerary a computer system will be use to free assign seat for the pax. So same itinerary will be assign by computer to seat together but if pax been check in early.

So the first leg from KUL-BKI. My itinerary was brought different from my brother, but lucky the flight is not full so we ask the check in counter to help us put seat together and "wa la" we been assign seat together.

Next flight from BKI-KUL Itinerary brought together so when check in at BKI, the check in staff assign the seat together. So no problem!

So what to do when system change is travel to airport early and check in early. DO REMIND THEM YOU ARE NOT TRAVEL ALONE AND ASK FOR SEAT ASSIGN TOGATHER. The chance of assign seat together will be much higher.

D7 charges extra AUD10 per pax for seat allocation (i.e. you choose your seat). And so, it "makes sense" to not allow their check-in staff to assign seats over the counters without charging the travelling pax.

But the fact is, it doesn't really make sense why I have to pay extra to sit with my travelling companions! :angry:

Edited by Tony

AK should just forget about assigned seating and returned to the free seating arrangement as before

Oh please, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ................................ ! :)

I have a solution.

Just use the aerobridge to board the aircraft. And it is not that expensive anyway.

Edited by Radzi

I have a solution.

Just use the aerobridge to board the aircraft. And it is not that expensive anyway.

Capt, you missing the target here?

Now the skeletons are coming out of the closet.

Keep this coming.

Idiots or Liars or both.

The computer only follows human instruction. What if President Obama accidentally fired a missile straight towards Moscow and his aide said "no can do Sir, the computer runs the show."! Further prove AK is lying!

I believe Jetstar still runs their system of boarding plane based on the pax no of your boarding pass. If you come early you can still board the plane early. Where AK is trying to do one better by offering numbered seat, albeit at a charge, but they are not doing it well enough to please their customer! :angry:

This is taken from our manual.

------------------------------------------

Omitted as requested by the author

--------------------------------------------------

It is all system assigned way before we open our counters and we still have to put up with what the pax have to say to us. It is actually totally beyond our control. Our login account doesn't have the privilege to change the seat, we can only assign the seat if that particular pax wasn't assigned by the system at check-in point (this is usually pax who bought the ticket last minute at the sales counter after seat has been auto allocated.) If we were to assign pax to the hot seat, they need to pay or else we have to fork out the money ourselves or get charged as fraud by the company.

Before AK flights is on assigned seat policy, QZ flights are on assigned basis first and QZ flight are usually pre-assigned by staff at the previous night at the end of evening shift where all the outbound flights all already take off (around 11pm) or the beginning of the morning shift (At 3.30am to 4.30am where morning counters haven't open yet) We usually assign QZ flight, a group of pax under the same booking will seat together and those single traveling pax are the one who balance it out the empty seats on the seat map. Still have the trouble of same groups traveling are under separate booking number. A lot of pros and cons on the assigned seats but it is a trouble for both of the staff and the pax.

And mind you, at the check-in we have to rush everything to close the counter in time or else we will be penalized of late counter closure, and not all pax come on time and queue there waiting and giving us exactly 1 or 2 mins allocation to entertain per pax, some like to come at last minute and we have to rush things, and we have to entertain them on their queries and if they make some fusses and/or refuse to move, time will be wasted and at the end is all on us guest services staff. If counter already close and system is locked and close for that flight, we are the one who get scold at saying not helping them to get in. When they are the one who doesn't come before the counter closure time. When the particular counter is closed, flt ops will give the number of pax onboard and total baggage weight to the pilots to do their load sheet. It's not just us that are affected.

Think of this scenario (this does happen before), how we gonna do if there is only 5 mins left before counter closure, a group of 20 "rombongan" pax comes and all of them have golf sets and baggage, pax with golf sets all have to sign on limited release baggage tags and put on fragile tapes and ask them to send the golf set to fragile goods handling counter to put it in. Then all of the baggages have to weight one by one to key-in one by one accordingly into the system so when offloading, baggage handlers can search for the baggage if one of the pax is no-show at the gate, offloading will be easier when we tell baggage handlers the weight and the bag tag numbers. Then we have to put the baggage under their names so that when offloading, it is their baggage that we are offloading and not other pax under the group that is getting offloaded.

IF there is excess baggage, we have to count and charge, issue receipt, give back the correct balance. Mind you not all of the pax want/able to pay the excess, what happen if they decide to take the baggage out from the conveyor? We have to remove the bag tags and make sure remove the correct bags in the system. And then we have to make sure all the correct boarding pass issued and gave to the correct pax. If domestic flight we still can send the excess baggage charges to excess baggage payment counters to handle the payment, but on QZ and all Indonesian bound sectors we HAVE to collect all the excess charges at the counter and not allowed to send to excess baggage payment counter. Surabaya is one of the flight with lots of bags and excess.

Then we still need to check their passport details if it's Indonesian, Foreigner some have to have visa and we need to check the visa, the validity of the passport and visa, whether it is a single or multiple entries visa, the name is correct or not and whether they have return ticket and sufficient funds or not. And we have limited time to do that and if pax is refused entry by the destination immigration, they get send back to KUL, those who responsible to check-in the pax will be the one get warning letter and their allowance cut. AirAsia also get hefty fines from the destination immigration and the fines are counted per head. FYI, Banda Aceh have no Visa-On-Arrival facility somemore, we got to be very vigilant on their visa.

If only you guys can see from our side for a moment and stop blaming us staff not GIVING the seat you wanted. YES I agree it is a money making scheme, if you want less problem at the check-in, book your seat when you book your ticket online. Same goes to your pre-book baggage weight.

If we don't have time limit and the rush of doing a flight, we of course will give full attention and explain and discuss with you on what happened, why do we charge the excess and count it out for you and entertain all of your queries, but we don't, we still have other pax lining up behind to attend to and a deadline to catch. Don't forget gate staff have 25 mins time limit to handle one flight, if counter close late, gate staff will affected, and your departure time will get affected, and in the end, the flight delay (even for few minutes) and will blame under Guest Services Dept and we are the one get blamed and penalized yet again. At the end we still need to rush rush rush rush.

Edited by Norman
edited as requested by author

Wonder what algorithm does the system uses to assign passengers seats. Maybe survivability? : :shok:

Thanks for clearing things up Adrian. But while I appreciate the fact that AK staff are often short on time, my point still remains: why charge? Why must AK charge RM5 per seat and take tens of ringgit off a group of more than 2 passengers?

Wouldn't it be better if seat selection could be done online for free on a first come-first serve basis when you book your tickets ? Or if AK really wants to charge, then maybe charge RM5 for the whole group instead of per person. OR, if random assignment is done through computer, then program the computer to assign group bookings to sit together?

These are just some suggestions. I still honestly don't see the need to stoop so low and charge passengers for anything the company can think of charging for.

They claims its a Value Added Service which pax may want or not. That's why they take advantages of that. I won't be surprise one day they charge 50 cents or RM1 per lavatory use onboard.

It like any other business and any company, wanna get profit in anyway they can. As what we the staff always reminded with "We are not here to do charities." That's why we have to start charge excess on the 16kg mark and no excuses accepted. Or else the next day finance dept looking for us for the explanation of why the waiver and pay out the said shortage on the spot.

Now they even have audits at the back randomly (and silently) weighting the accepted check in luggages and also luggages arriving from other stations.

OR, if random assignment is done through computer, then program the computer to assign group bookings to sit together?

They are still rectify it with the US Software Manufacturer (according to the internal memo), especially few pax under the same booking sit separately. Got lots of complains from couple traveling together especially husband and wife.

Edited by Adrian M

some suggestion on few areas where the company can make extra money..

1) Seats at departure hall LCCT. charge it at RM5/seating

2) Toilet at LCCT. charge at RM2/entry

3) Staircase to enter a/c. Use escalator type, charge RM5 while the normal staircase, charge RM4.

4) Switch on overhead lamp in cabin, charge RM5/hour.

5) Toilet papers, soap/handwash gel, charge RM5.

6) Taking photos outside or inside the a/c or within LCCT, charge RM50.

while for non-chargeable..

1) talking on the phone or sms while a/c is about to land/take off

2) hurriedly queuing up one or two hour before any announcement is made for departure

3) carrying 3,4,5 big and heavy hand luggage into a/c

4) while boarding, running like mad dog to the a/c

and the list goes on....

They are still rectify it with the US Software Manufacturer (according to the internal memo), especially few pax under the same booking sit separately. Got lots of complains from couple traveling together especially husband and wife.

Once again thanks for your input staff-side Adrian. I'm just hoping that this software thing is done soon so problems like kids being separated from their parents, couples being separated, etc won't happen in the future.

3) Staircase to enter a/c. Use escalator type, charge RM5 while the normal staircase, charge RM4.

Then those who don't want to pay climb aboard with a ladder after everyone has boarded? lol :pardon: