MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Cheng Kit

MAS downgrading from 747 to 77 on the Amsterdam route

Starting 01JUN09, MAS service to Amsterdam sees a change from a Boeing 747 to a 777. :angry:

Source: airlinerouteblogspot

Why the angry face, Cheng ? :huh:

Loads ex AMS have dropped dramatically, so this change would be a reasonable one, given the lower operational costs of a 777 versus 744...

When will we meet in AMS, TK ? :pardon:

Amsterdam....we ised to stay at teh Sonaesta Hotel, smack in the middle of the city, everyrthing from history, heritage, technology and sex within 10 minutes walking distance.

Amsterdam in my opinion has got to be the best European city in the world.

and the B747 is dying a slow death everywhere.....

Again on 5 March 2012 from: /here

As per 28DEC11 GDS Inventory display, Malaysia Airlines starting 05MAR12 is reducing capacity on Kuala Lumpur – Amsterdam route, with 282-seater Boeing 777-200ER :angry: replacing 359-seater Boeing 747-400. Timetable search has not yet reflecting this change.

The reduction will be maintained in Summer 2012 season effective 25MAR12. First Class service will also be cancelled as a result. With the aircraft change, Malaysia Airlines’ remaining Boeing 747-400 operation is Kuala Lumpur – London Heathrow and Kuala Lumpur – Sydney.

Schedule effective 25MAR12:

MH016 KUL2355 – 0655+1AMS 772 D

MH017 AMS1200 – 0630+1KUL 772 D

Edited by Cheng Kit

Pieter, why have the loads ex-AMS dropped dramatically? Are MH still continuing to codeshare with KL? I think they both had a good relationship and this should continue, just like AF and QF (despite being in rival alliances).

I think its such a shame cos I really wanted MH to be in Skyteam. Oh well, no use crying over spilt milk that has curdled and is being eaten by the local mongrel.

Edited by Izanee

Not only MH but CX as well. May be this time of the year, it is more economical to use smaller aircraft to service a 'long and thin' route. CX is alternating between B744 and A343 for HKG-AMS-HKG this time of the year. I am not sure what is their plan for summer schedule.

:hi:

Edited by Lock SH

Izanee,

Only 70 seats less per flight, but huge savings regarding the fuel-consumption...so, good decision of MH !!!

the Netherlands is in a resession right now, just like the rest of the EU: so traffic has dropped dramatically (people tend to spend holidays again in Europe, rather than far-away places like Asia), also for business people; don't think this has anything to do with the KL-MH code-share...although, in the future, I think it's thinkable for KL switching to GA, esp. when AMS-CGK will become non-stop (with 777's), and when there are good/excellent connection ex JKT, it might be better for the passengers to connect there for Australia and staying within one Alliance... :pardon:

just my 2 cents...

Izanee,

Only 70 seats less per flight, but huge savings regarding the fuel-consumption...so, good decision of MH !!!

the Netherlands is in a resession right now, just like the rest of the EU: so traffic has dropped dramatically (people tend to spend holidays again in Europe, rather than far-away places like Asia), also for business people; don't think this has anything to do with the KL-MH code-share...although, in the future, I think it's thinkable for KL switching to GA, esp. when AMS-CGK will become non-stop (with 777's), and when there are good/excellent connection ex JKT, it might be better for the passengers to connect there for Australia and staying within one Alliance... :pardon:

just my 2 cents...

To continue with your comment, actually, KLM is not that happy when MAS decided to join One World. MAS is using KLM traffic right to operate B747, so since MAS cannot fill up the seats might as well downgrade to B777. B777-300ER would suit MAS operations but MAS has none.

KLM is not that happy when MAS decided to join One World. MAS is using KLM traffic right to operate B747, so since MAS cannot fill up the seats might as well downgrade to B777. B777-300ER would suit MAS operations but MAS has none.

It's not like MH didn't try to join ST; the haughty AF was preventing it from happening in the first place. 787/A350s are more appropriate for MH to operate such long-and-thin routes.

It's not like MH didn't try to join ST; the haughty AF was preventing it from happening in the first place.

Exactly!! KLM have no right to bitch about MH joining OW. :finger:

It's not like MH didn't try to join ST; the haughty AF was preventing it from happening in the first place. 787/A350s are more appropriate for MH to operate such long-and-thin routes.

Very true, but i don't know if the AF part is quite right. If MH got a pass into ST they would have already entered instead of ending up in OW, we could say MH had no choice? *A already has both TG & SQ and ST has VN & soon GA and I highly doubt any of these carriers would like to share whilst they have OW all to themselves in the region.

What is the main traffic between AMS & KUL? Mainly VFR or more Business oriented? Regardless KL is already trying to replace MH, they have already placed their code on CZ flights, and VN is not too far away for flights to Australia.

I doubt MH is going to use the extra 744s to upgrade another destination, so is it safe to assume they'll just lie around KUL? Gosh, it's sad seeing them lying around rather than flying.

the Netherlands is in a resession right now, just like the rest of the EU: so traffic has dropped dramatically (people tend to spend holidays again in Europe, rather than far-away places like Asia), also for business people; don't think this has anything to do with the KL-MH code-share...

2012 is going to be a difficult year for EU/UK :(... airlines are alreday offering some really cheap Business Class fares to the far east, I've never seen them so cheap before, they must be desperate.

Edited by H C Chai

2012 is going to be a difficult year for EU/UK :(... airlines are alreday offering some really cheap Business Class fares to the far east, I've never seen them so cheap before, they must be desperate.

Well lets hope that pax will make a beeline for those airlines that operate the dugong! Otherwise MH will be even more screwed!

B744s are really the victims of very high oil prices. However, if there is a deep recession, oil prices will probably moderate.

Exactly!! KLM have no right to bitch about MH joining OW. :finger:

Why would they...relationship is still good (KLM is even sending their 744F to MAS for D-check :blink: )...

Code-share is a different matter, though... :p

Pieter, thanks for your comments. I hope that the KL-MH relationship continues. Good to see that KLM still sends their 744F to MAS for service. Once MAS sells off their engineering division, that could change though! ;)

Sign in to follow this