MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Snakes escape on Qantas flight

Page last updated at 09:53 GMT, Thursday, 16 April 2009 10:53 UK

BBC

Snakes escape on Qantas flight

An Australian airliner was grounded after four baby pythons escaped from their container in the aircraft's hold.

The snakes, just six inches long, were among 12 Stimson's pythons being flown from Alice Springs to Melbourne.

At first it was thought the reptiles may have been eaten by the other snakes, but this was discounted after they were weighed on landing.

Passengers were transferred to other aircraft. The jet was fumigated but the snakes' bodies are yet to be found.

"They're not endangered so a decision was made to fumigate...if these snakes turn up they will be very much dead snakes," David Epstein of Qantas said.

It is not known how the snakes - which can grow up to a metre in length - escaped from their container.

They were being transported in the cargo hold of the aircraft in a bag inside a plastic foam box with air holes.

The passenger aircraft returned to service on Wednesday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8001644.stm

Snakes on a plane. Yikes!

I think the critters are still there, somewhere, alive and well. When they are a metre or so long, they'll slither up the pilots' pants, I tell ya!

Will they be able to find some excuse to pin blame on some asian entity this time ? ;)

Can 'Asian snakes' grow to 1 metre? :search:

If you think a loose snake on the aircraft is funny, try a mouse, or rat. It is a no-go until the rodent is found and removed.

If you think a loose snake on the aircraft is funny, try a mouse, or rat. It is a no-go until the rodent is found and removed.

Snake will go after the rodent :lol::rofl:

Rodent will bite the wiring...:(

Can 'Asian snakes' grow to 1 metre? :search:

Why not? From memory I have seen a longer than 1 metre snake in Sabah! I think it was a python (with the piano keys like black and white pattern).

I wonder which a/c it was. I am due to fly with QF497, a B767-300ER from Sydney to Melbourne, the last thing i want is that creature creeping up on us or into our luggage! :)

WOAH!

I'd probably urinate all over myself in fear if I see a snake slithering up my leg inflight....

Severe phobia... :mellow: :mellow:

WOW! Lucky the passangers on board are not bitten by the snakes, if does i think it will be a serious disasters..huuuh..

Why not? From memory I have seen a longer than 1 metre snake in Sabah! I think it was a python (with the piano keys like black and white pattern).

I was refering to another type of 'snake'. :)

Hahahaha

Notti naim!

You should be spanked for that.

Anyway, python won't bite. Not a deadly snake...

A python is not vernomous and an adult one will be deadly.....

Ahh..... we have a sequel "Snakes On A Plane II: Escape from the 'Snake' Box" :rofl:

I wonder which a/c it was. I am due to fly with QF497, a B767-300ER from Sydney to Melbourne, the last thing i want is that creature creeping up on us or into our luggage! :)

Watch it SV especially whilst sitting on the toilet bowl in the 767 :lol:

WOAH!

I'd probably urinate all over myself in fear if I see a snake slithering up my leg inflight....

Severe phobia... :mellow: :mellow:

deiii Imran, just to clarify, you'll ONLY be in fear if it slithers up your leg inflight?? not if it slithers down your neck??? hahaha so obviously a fear that the python will go for your snake then?? :) hehehehehehehehehehe

Snakes on a Plane? brilliant!

Was thinking finally we have a "snake" box. :p

Was thinking finally we have a "snake" box. :p

When I first went to Saigon (Vietnam) in '93, the place was a tad decrepit thanks largely to the then American embargo, and the guy who hanged about my hotel (in a beat-up genuine American Army jeep) kept trying to get me to visit the 'snake bar'. Snake bar? Why on earth would I be keen to go to a bar full of snakes? Then he started mentioning girls ... ach so, 'snack bar', not 'snake bar'. :D

Sign in to follow this