MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azreen

MAS with RM3.75 billion Cash

In the Star this morning, it was reported that MH has RM3.75 billion cashpile and is on the look out to purchase potential strategic airline.

Very interesting indeed!!!

P.s. The family package deal of 2 buy economy adult tickets and get 2 kid tickets under 12 yrs FOC is brilliant!!! Just right for me.. TQ.

In the Star this morning, it was reported that MH has RM3.75 billion cashpile and is on the look out to purchase potential strategic airline.

Very interesting indeed!!!

P.s. The family package deal of 2 buy economy adult tickets and get 2 kid tickets under 12 yrs FOC is brilliant!!! Just right for me.. TQ.

:blink:

sorry to disappoint u, but you may want to read again about this particular offer. One of junior will have to pay.

On the other one I tried to check out the latest offer for BKI - HKG on the special fare but still haven't found any. :(

a330 is fine , and it will stay ! what is aging about it ? the only problem is the interior ...

heck , even sq is running with the 330 , and so is d7 .... its a great aircraft to do those runs , unless they are looking into the 787 to replace , then it is interesting ...

replacing the 330 will cause worries for the ' bus boys ' in here

This is what I don't understand , everyone is pushing for a new fleet , but in actual fact , the fleet is fine , just the interiors are somewhat ' tired ' or below standard .

As far as aircraft go , only the 737 looks like it needs replacement , but to me , even the jumbo's can stay if they really can fill it up . I don't see why they need a new fleet , big investment !

Guest sidb

yeah most of the MH fleet is pretty good, except the 734's. The 777's in fact probably have better interiors than some of SQ's regional 777-200 and 777-300's. Probably all that needs to be done is make the business class lie flat, and upgrade the PTV's and seat coverings in economy. The 330's probably have the worst interior. The 330 should stay for some more time, its a good aircraft for where it goes. But the interiors are terrible. No PTV at all throughout the aircraft and it sometimes flies for 7hrs to DXB and 5hrs to PER.

The 747 has OK interiors, but I think its time that these need to be looked at replacing because they're not that efficient, with the 6 A380's that are coming and probably about 5-10 777-300ER's. After 747 replacement probably 330 needs replacement in about 4-5 years, I'd say the best replacement for these would be the 787-9. Then in about 7-8 years its 772 replacement time. Best replacement is probably the A350-900.

In short

Upgrade 777 interiors, replace in about 7 years --> A350-900

Upgrade 330 interiors, replace in about 4-5 years --> B787-8/9

Keep 747 interiors the same, replacement begining 2010--> A380-800, B777-300ER

Edited by sidb

..... and probably about 5-10 777-300ER's

:blink: :blink: :blink:

If true, :yahoo: :yahoo:

Though unlikely, since this has been said

2. WB fleet renewal?

We have parked the evaluation for WB due to the economic crisis but the A30s will be coming in 2011

Note, plan never even got past evaluation stage

a330 is fine , and it will stay ! what is

heck , even sq is running with the 330 , and so is d7 .... its a great aircraft to do those runs , unless they are looking into the 787 to replace , then it is interesting ...

MAS 333 can't be compared to SQ or even D7 spanking new 333 because both SQ and D7 333 have the latest technology and it can carry more cargo, has longer range and can save more fuel compared to to MAS old-school 333.

But i do agree with you that MAS doesn't really need to rush into replacing their 333 immediately. CX is currently flying 32x 333 now and around 15 of the CX 333 are the same version as MAS 333 and CX still adore them to this day. What MAS need to do is to install new seats equipped with AVOD.

LOL ! Exactly my reaction when i read the news on STAR. NOT TO SALT YOUR GAME MY BELOVED MALAYSIA AIRLINES, but RM3.75 billion is NOT a lot in the world of commercial aviation. Besides, it's 3.75 billion RINGGIT MALAYSIA, NOT USD. Anyways, may be MAS can buy MAI ? The Burmese national carrier ? Isn't it losing money ? May be they can do exactly what Tony Fernandes did in 2002 and buy MAI for only RM1 in cash :rolleyes:

Furthermore, just how long have you been profitable MAS ? You've been reporting some profits the last few quarters and now you are looking into acquisition already ? MAS might be profitable but we still do not know the exact state of Penerbangan Malaysia, the company that basically owned most aircraft MAS is flying in the skies today. No offense but shouldn't you just focus on yourself ? If you have extra cash in the bank and your hand is itchy to see so much money around then use it to refurbish your freakin' 333 !

Edited by Isaac

Isaac,

Did you miss this little bit from the other thread ? Heh heh heh :D

Guess we have some arm-chair business gurus here who think they should be telling MH how to run a business and expect MH to announce to the world their business plans... :rolleyes:

1. Agree that the A330 need to be refurbished. Or replaced with newer A330 with longer range.

2. I think the A330 / B777 should be combined into a single fleet in the future. A350 perhaps? Then MH could have B737 NG, A350 and A 380. That will also satisfy the political requirement of having both European and American products.

MAS 333 can't be compared to SQ or even D7 spanking new 333 because both SQ and D7 333 have the latest technology and it can carry more cargo, has longer range and can save more fuel compared to to MAS old-school 333.

But i do agree with you that MAS doesn't really need to rush into replacing their 333 immediately. CX is currently flying 32x 333 now and around 15 of the CX 333 are the same version as MAS 333 and CX still adore them to this day. What MAS need to do is to install new seats equipped with AVOD.

LOL ! Exactly my reaction when i read the news on STAR. NOT TO SALT YOUR GAME MY BELOVED MALAYSIA AIRLINES, but RM3.75 billion is NOT a lot in the world of commercial aviation. Besides, it's 3.75 billion RINGGIT MALAYSIA, NOT USD. Anyways, may be MAS can buy MAI ? The Burmese national carrier ? Isn't it losing money ? May be they can do exactly what Tony Fernandes did in 2002 and buy MAI for only RM1 in cash :rolleyes:

National carrier is not for sale despite losing money.

older aircrafts = more expensive maintenance

new aircrafts = 'wow' factor, new car smell, easier maintenance, better performance

the long and the short of it is, with excess cash, MAS should invest in new aircrafts first (and probably put up some ads to match some of them competitors) before even thinking about buying other airlines. I don't see the logic, buy other company = ??

Isaac,

Did you miss this little bit from the other thread ? Heh heh heh :D

Hehehe ... I did reply "constructive criticism is always appreciated" in the other thread :lol:

People will always have different opinions and of course we all should expect some to be on our side and some opposing. This is a public forum after all and this site exists for a reason. Not just a place for us the plane lovers to gather but as well as to exchange views. Which is why this is not just some online group but also function as a site that we can talk. Nobody is trying to run MAS. What we do is simply giving our thoughts here. If we can't sound our opinion then that's just too bad. It's like hearing those parents tell the teacher "why you pukul my boy boy ah ? You cannot do this, later i complain you" :rofl:

Besides, he's not the first one to write such comment in this very forum. We have seen this comments several times before over the last couple of years. So that's all right. We all move on :)

1. Agree that the A330 need to be refurbished. Or replaced with newer A330 with longer range.

Isn't Airbus supposed to pay a compensation to MAS for the 388 delay ? What exactly did Airbus offer them ? I know TG managed to negotiate a deal to buy 8x brand new Rolls-Royce powered 333 cheaply from them (their original 12x 333 are Pratt & Whitney powered).

National carrier is not for sale despite losing money.

Not entirely true. I remember QF and several other Western carriers were potential MAS buyer in 2001, if my memory serves me correctly. But of course the deal didn't go through. Besides, Air France did buy KLM Royal Dutch Airlines over.

Edited by Isaac

This buy other airline theory is definitely some journalist becoming overly ambitious

Technology ? What do you mean by the latest technology ? The only technology I see old is the Entertainment system , which I see as an easy replacement , cargo isn't the highest priority at the moment I believe , passenger movement takes first priority , and burning slightly more fuel is definitely better than forking out alot of money now , in this current economic situation where airlines like SQ and CX are loosing loads of money .

I seriously dont know what the justification you're holding on to with regards to MAS 330's as old . There is simply nothing wrong with the aircraft ! just the interior could use a better product

I seriously dont know what the justification you're holding on to with regards to MAS 330's as old . There is simply nothing wrong with the aircraft ! just the interior could use a better product

Obviously i'm not the only one who thinks MAS 333 is old but to be fair, i did say MAS doesn't have to rush into replacing it now as a major makeover will do for the time being.

latest technology ? The only technology I see old is the Entertainment system , which I see as an easy replacement , cargo isn't the highest priority at the moment I believe , passenger movement takes first priority , and burning slightly more fuel is definitely better than forking out alot of money now , in this current economic situation where airlines like SQ and CX are loosing loads of money .

The newly enhanced Airbus 330-300E/300X indeed have better mileage, lower fuel burn and new technology. I'm sure the pilots know more about it :)

airlines like SQ and CX are loosing loads of money .

As far as i'm concerned SIA is still profitable as we speak. They did loss a lot of money in fuel hedging but overall it is still profitable if i'm not mistake.

Edited by Isaac

What interest me most.... before 2008... MH is reported to have MYR5 billion ++ in cash ..... over MYR1 bill short in 1 year time span? :blink: :blink: :blink:

What interest me most.... before 2008... MH is reported to have MYR5 billion ++ in cash ..... over MYR1 bill short in 1 year time span? :blink: :blink: :blink:

That I believe is due to a repayment of short term financing from CIMB etc of a similar amount. The published accounts are ...published. You can download it and go through it.

Invest in new technologies like 787 and invest in product. As some people are prepared to a prenium to fly on a better product. After all SQ, TG and even BI have reasonable prices and QUALITY product.

Invest in new technologies like 787 and invest in product. As some people are prepared to a prenium to fly on a better product. After all SQ, TG and even BI have reasonable prices and QUALITY product.

I wouldn't call BI having a quality product but it is true that they are very cheap. Two of my cousins are attending Trinity College now in PER and they fly BI all the time because it's super cheap. They also get 25KG of luggage allowance instead of the regular 20KG.

Interesting topic. I have a few questions.

1. Isn't buying other airline company also means buying most of their equipments if not all? What's the point of buying an airlines without aircraft?

2. Although MH's A330 are rather old, SQ in fact ordered brand new A330s, so this should give an impression that if B737 is Boeing's most successful short-haul aircraft then the A330 should be considered the most successful Airbus model based on years of service. So instead of replacing them altogether would replacing or overhauling the engines make the plane more efficient? After all I assume no change in aircraft design so any efficiency gained on the newer A330 should be contributed by the engines themselves.

I think there are some structural modifications for the new A330, if not minor ones like extra fuel tanks stuff like that from what i know.

Sign in to follow this