MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
RobSmith

RMAF callsigns and help

Hello all,

I keep hearing some strange sounding callsigns on HF 8942 khz where flights are working Manila and Singapore. I have a feeling they belong to the Royal Malaysian Air Force but they're very difficult to make out. Is anyone here familiar with the callsigns they use and can advise please?

Noted on an almost daily basis is what sounds like 'Mega 101' (noted last 3 days, seems to go out late morning and returns mid-afternoon).

Noted 2 April in the morning was what sounded like 'Katara 029' and noted this morning (4 April) and afternoon was what sounded like 'Amman 02' along with 'Katara 442'.

Flight levels seem to range between F230 and F260 so I'm thinking they're probably C130s but I'm only guessing here.

Would really appreciate some help with these and ideally some reg tie-ups to the flights if anyone knows a source!! I've seen mention of 'Putra' flights too - any info on those as well.

Thanks for any help.

Rgds,

Rob

1. CEKAL (CN-235) - RMAF Kuching

2.PUTRA (BBJ/BD700/DA90/F28) - RMAF Subang

3.TANGKAS (S61A4) - RMAF Butterworth

4. MEGA (C130H/C402B) - RMAF Subang

5. BADAK (S61A4) - RMAF Kuching

6. GADING (S61A4/A109/S70) - RMAF Kuala Lumpur

7. KRISS (F5E/RF5E) - RMAF Butterworth

8. AMAN (C130H) - RMAF Labuan

9. PANJI (Hawk108/208/) - RMAF Butterworth

10. TEDUNG (Mig29N) - RMAF Kuantan

11. TARING (F/A18D) - RMAF Butterworth

12. MEGA (C130H) - RMAF Subang

13. CEKAL (CN235) - RMAF Kuching

14. MAKTAB (PC-7) - RMAF Alor Setar

15. LATIH (Allouette III) - RMAF Alor Setar

16. RIMAU (MB339A) - RMAF Butterworth

Not sure about KATARA, but there is KENCANA which i think its the RMAF B200T from 16 Skn, Subang.

Edited by MIR

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies, Mir especially. That helps a lot. I notice that 'Angkasa' is not mentioned - is that a kind of generic callsign for them? I hear some call as 'Malaysian Air Force xxx' and others call as 'Angkasa xxx' - is there some difference between them or.. ? :mellow:

Rob

"Angkasa"XXX is the radio telephony prefix used by Royal Malaysian Airforce aircraft for flights passing international boundaries.

This information is indicated in the flight plan.....e.g. OPR/RMAF RTF/Angkasa

The other callsigns (normally allocated to specific air squadrons) are for "internal" use.

Your guess is right: MEGA is a C-130. The operating altitude of between FL 230 - 260 confirms this.

"Angkasa"XXX is the radio telephony prefix used by Royal Malaysian Airforce aircraft for flights passing international boundaries.

The other callsigns (normally allocated to specific air squadrons) are for "internal" use.

Your guess is right: MEGA is a C-130. The operating altitude of between FL 230 - 260 confirms this.

we also have

DIRAJA

PUTRA

sorry to dig up..

heard 11K & 11P(one-one kilo/papa)...know who? went to apt but saw nothing...

beg to differs..ANGKASA xxx is for "Operational Tasking/ Mission" assigned to any transport aircrft, be it helicopter / fixed wng. They'll use ANGKASA for RT within M'sia but normally if crossing intrnational boundaries, RMF...romeo mike foxtrot .

For VVIP/VIP it'll become DIRAJA XX / PERDANA xx or so on depends who is onboard.

For the MEGA, AMAN, GADING, RIMAU, SINTAR, BADAK, CEKAL,PUTRA and whatsoever...it is solely to differentiate that it is a "TRAINING FLIGHT" callsign assigned to each squadron for pilots to carry out their Monthly Continuity Training, Base CX, Route Training etc.... sort like a 'Non Revenue' flight if referring to civil world.

.....nothing secret, we're sharing the same sky

Edited by Asari

sorry to dig up..

heard 11K & 11P(one-one kilo/papa)...know who? went to apt but saw nothing...

11K & 11P callsign by Police helicopter, no? :blink:

beg to differs..ANGKASA xxx is for "Operational Tasking/ Mission" assigned to any transport aircrft, be it helicopter / fixed wng. They'll use ANGKASA for RT within M'sia but normally if crossing intrnational boundaries, RMF...romeo mike foxtrot .

For VVIP/VIP it'll become DIRAJA XX / PERDANA xx or so on depends who is onboard.

For the MEGA, AMAN, GADING, RIMAU, SINTAR, BADAK, CEKAL,PUTRA and whatsoever...it is solely to differentiate that it is a "TRAINING FLIGHT" callsign assigned to each squadron for pilots to carry out their Monthly Continuity Training, Base CX, Route Training etc.... sort like a 'Non Revenue' flight if referring to civil world.

.....nothing secret, we're sharing the same sky

Ooo..no wonder sometimes the CN235 here use KENCANA,CEKAL and ANGKASA..heard 1 t/off using angkasa & the one just behind using cekal :drinks:

11K & 11P callsign by Police helicopter, no? :blink:

i think police too,but maybe fixed wing? :pardon:

heard atc calling their heli(?) POLICE CHOPPER 5 :pardon:

i think police too,but maybe fixed wing? :pardon:

heard atc calling their heli(?) POLICE CHOPPER 5 :pardon:

That's correct, the heli's callsign is Police Chopper.

Fixed wing is usually Police Wing 1 etc.

Ooo..no wonder sometimes the CN235 here use KENCANA,CEKAL and ANGKASA..heard 1 t/off using angkasa & the one just behind using cekal :drinks:

yes..but KENCANA is OPS callsign for B200T maritime patrol a/c. Their Training c/s is SINTAR..

we also have

DIRAJA

PUTRA

DIRAJA 01 whenever King onboard..02 for Queen

PERDANA 01 for PM & 02 for DPM.

whenever the sultan onboard will using the state's name...e.g JOHOR 01, PAHANG 01 etc

PUTRA is the only TRAINING c/s assigned to no 2 squadron fleet...nothing to do with King's Prince.

yes..but KENCANA is OPS callsign for B200T maritime patrol a/c. Their Training c/s is SINTAR..

hmm..squadron change callsign ka? im sure i heard (and saw) cn235 use kencana in kch hehe :help:

TQ for the clarification all..

hmm..squadron change callsign ka? im sure i heard (and saw) cn235 use kencana in kch hehe :help:

TQ for the clarification all..

in that case...must be CN doing Maritime Patrol mission due to shortage of 16 sqn's Beechcraft

Edited by Asari

Few more to the list :

1. Romeo Mike Foxtrot 435 - Deputy Prime Minister on board Global Express

2. Angkasa 421 - RMAF BBJ

3. M 1 - YDP. Agong on board 9M-NAA

Edited by MIR

PM's aircraft to Washington:

Romeo Mike Foxtrot 404 (Boeing 737-7H6 BBJ, M53-01)

Route : Kuala Lumpur-Dubai-Farnborough-Washington-New York(14/04/2010)

Then will visit Japan (18-21 April) before returning back to Kuala Lumpur.

Edited by MIR

PM's aircraft to Washington:

Romeo Mike Foxtrot 404 (Boeing 737-7H6 BBJ, M53-01)

Correction, the aircraft is 9M-NAA. RMF404 arrived Andrews Air Force Base.

Edited by MIR

Correction, the aircraft is 9M-NAA. RMF404 arrived Andrews Air Force Base.

9M-NAA....civilian registered a/c, flown by civilian pilots. but using RMF c/sign (only designated for RMAF)....may be a tactic to get entry clearance easier

Aaa..now i get it. Sorry guys,I was confused by too many info received. Quite weird if 9M-NAA using callsign Romeo Mike Foxtrot, as its official callsign is Mike 1.

PM flew on 9M-NAA to Andrews Air Force Base. It overflew over Swindon,UK at 1010(UTC+1) yesterday. Info from South Wales Aviation Group.

Meanwhile,RMAF's BBJ (M53-01) landed at Farnborough at 1445(UTC+1) yesterday as Romeo Mike Foxtrot 404. Could be a back-up plane or a VIP visiting UK :pardon:

Edited by MIR