MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Pieter C.

Air Asia establishing four new hubs

SOURCE:Air Transport Intelligence news

AirAsia establishing four new hubs

By Leithen Francis

AirAsia is planning to establish hubs at Phuket in Thailand, Penang in Malaysia and Medan and Bandung in Indonesia to aid its expansion.

The low-cost carrier's spokesman in its Kuala Lumpur headquarters says the group is taking delivery of 14 Airbus A320s during the remainder of this year. Most will be for its Indonesian and Thai affiliate carriers, he adds.

He says as a consequence the group is planning to establish hubs at Phuket in Thailand, Penang in Malaysia and Medan and Bandung in Indonesia.

These are likely to be established this year and it means the carrier will have aircraft, pilots, cabin crew and ground staff stationed in those places, says the spokesman.

He also says it will be launching new international services from these places but he was unable to elaborate.

AirAsia currently has bases in Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and Jakarta as well as a hub in Denpasar Bali in Indonesia and hubs in Johor Bahru and Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia.

He also says it will be launching new international services from these places but he was unable to elaborate.

I know that Penang - Hong Kong and Phuket - Hong Kong will be one of them according to the Hong Kong Spotters Forum.

Alex.

Maybe AirAsia X can consider starting another hub in Europe.

SOURCE:Air Transport Intelligence news

AirAsia establishing four new hubs

By Leithen Francis

AirAsia is planning to establish hubs at Phuket in Thailand, Penang in Malaysia and Medan and Bandung in Indonesia to aid its expansion.

[sarcasm]Wow!.. Exciting!... Been hearing this for the 51,654th times and just by saying it, makes me happy......[/sarcasm] <_>

Could possibly be a bit dissapointing for those few aspiring Air Asia hubs (Melaka, Kuantan, Ipoh - did I miss any ?) where it has been mentioned for the 51,653rd time already ? :p

Heathrow 200% for the Europe 1st hub?

Man, it would be some majorly jaw-dropping coup if D7 is able to build a Heathrow hub :blink:

Could possibly be a bit dissapointing for those few aspiring Air Asia hubs (Melaka, Kuantan, Ipoh - did I miss any ?) where it has been mentioned for the 51,653rd time already ? :p

Man, it would be some majorly jaw-dropping coup if D7 is able to build a Heathrow hub :blink:

I was thinking STN. Since Richard Branson has some share in D7 and since D7 is not in the same market segment as Virgin Atlantic maybe this could happen.

Singapore looks like a virtual hub as they also take flights from Thai and Indonesia Air Asia in addition to the 7 daily flights from Malaysia Air Asia. So Changi sees a lot of Air Asia traffic these days.

i think their hub means....

put their airplane at the airport overnight :p

Hub means they have an operations centre there, i.e. flight, cabin and operations staff, plus the aircraft. So it is a base rather than somewhere to fly into and out of with 25 mins turnaround time. :)

Edited by flee

In that case KCH do not qualify as a hub...MAKE KCH A HUB!!!

BKI is already the hub for East Malaysia and is serving KCH. Besides KCH is also served by KUL, SIN, and other regional hubs - so it is already a virtual hub. Hubs must have sufficient passenger traffic for their routes to justify their existence.

Sign in to follow this