MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

Jokes aside, what should they do to permanently rectify this? Should they do piling throughout the apron? Any construction engineers here?

Build a new airport somewhere else

Of greater grandiose :pardon:

Build a new airport somewhere else

Of greater grandiose :pardon:

I thought at one point TF wanted to build AK's own airport at Labu?

If he gets p!55ed off enough he might start considering that opinion more seriously this time...

Ex-mining land (slime) or ex-oil palm plantation land (peat soil) are soft and it would require extensive ground treatments. The existence of thick soft marine clay along the coastal does not help either.

Settlement is a result of soil consolidation process, a process for the soil to decrease its water content under static load hence reduce (shrink) in its volume. The settlement rate is greater at the beginning of the process and gradually tapering off towards the end of the process. Without any treatment, the process could take for a very long period of time until it becomes stable.

There are many types of ground treatment, depending on its suitability, efficiency, time and of course, cost. For example piled foundation, soil replacement, temporary surcharging & vertical drains (to expedite the soil consolidation process) among many others. IMO, any ground can be treated. The issue is the cost and is the cost spend commercially viable.

Normally engineers would design any structure that goes on soft soil to settle within tolerable settlements. When the settlement is uniform, ie every structure will settle at the same rate hence the problem is not that obvious. However this is not always the case. More often we are facing with differential settlements and they need to be treated appropriately.

One good example is as Suzanne has pointed out, Elite Highway. I remember the pavement settles until some bridge pilecaps in the highway median which were originally under the pavement level exposed and can be seen. This is due to the pavement settles at a higher rate than the piled bridge structure.

Similarly in the case of KLIA2, we may see one day a A380 can go pass under the skybridge which is on pile if the apron settles great enough to make the necessary clearance :D

IPC (Ikram Premier Consulting) was tasked to probe this issue way back even before KLIA2 started operations. I read the report and unfortunately this was never made public. There were stats of how fast the depression is happening and which areas are affected.

Lots of equipment & vehicles have suffered tremendous damage throughout AK's ops in KLIA2 - even Malindo has had incidents. At the end of the day, who cares if not the airline themselves?

Edited by Sri Ramani K.

MAB's response

AIRASIA LETTER OF DEMAND IS SURPRISING AFTER YEARS OF BENEFITING FROM THE FACILITIES AT LCCT AND klia2

31 July 2015

Malaysia Airports confirms receiving a Letter of Demand from lawyers acting on behalf of AirAsia Berhad with regards to purported loss and damages incurred in its operation in klia2 and LCCT.

We are surprised by some of these assertions about klia2 and LCCT after AirAsia has benefited from the facilities provided by Malaysia Airports since 2001 to grow into the largest LCC in Asia.

Malaysia Airports considers these claims to be baseless and will vigorously challenge them. We have already instructed our solicitors to look into the matter.

http://www.malaysiaairports.com.my/?m=media_centre&c=news&id=498

AirAsia throws down the gauntlet

KUALA LUMPUR (Aug 8): The announcement by AirAsia Bhd ( Financial Dashboard) on July 31 that it was claiming RM409 million in damages from Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) ( Financial Dashboard) for allegedly breaching its duty as an airport operator came as a surprise, according to the DigitalEdge weekly in its latest edition.

http://www.theedgemarkets.com/en/article/airasia-throws-down-gauntlet

Maybe MAHB should just let TF return to the old LCCT. I bet when this offer made, TF will be caught off-guard and will cry another drama. Presently, i believe TF needs MAHB more than MAHB needs TF. Rusdi Kirana's Malindo will happily expand from KLIA2 while the cry-baby drag his operations back to the old shack regretting his 'intelligent' ploy to skim RM400 million from a GLC.

Maybe MAHB should just let TF return to the old LCCT. I bet when this offer made, TF will be caught off-guard and will cry another drama. Presently, i believe TF needs MAHB more than MAHB needs TF. Rusdi Kirana's Malindo will happily expand from KLIA2 while the cry-baby drag his operations back to the old shack regretting his 'intelligent' ploy to skim RM400 million from a GLC.

Believed mahb has leased out the old lcct for cargo handling and is no longer available.

In the bolehland, GLC almost always win court case. Ak won't submit the rm400m claim without consent from the highest authority. Rm400m will be negotiated, ak will accept a reduced sum, mahb will be compensated by the gomen and everyone will be happy.

Not much progress has been done to the old LCCT terminal. It still houses AirAsia office and they will continue to be there till they complete their HQ buildings next to carpark B in KLIA2. No cargo pass through whatsoever.

In this Bolehland, businessmen and conmen can create something out of nothing and get away with millions (one guy got billions). It's up to us to stop this daylight robbery of our own tax money, being given away for nothing.

Just got out of KLIA2 earlier this evening.

Luggage retrieval is a BIG PROBLEM!!

I counted 52 minutes from docking at the gate to my bag coming out.

I could have gone for dinner and back and still have time to spare before the first bag comes out.

Anybody knows what's wrong with this 'high tech' baggage system?

(pissed off/annoyed mood)

Just got out of KLIA2 earlier this evening.

Luggage retrieval is a BIG PROBLEM!!

I counted 52 minutes from docking at the gate to my bag coming out.

I could have gone for dinner and back and still have time to spare before the first bag comes out.

Anybody knows what's wrong with this 'high tech' baggage system?

(pissed off/annoyed mood)

52 minutes is about average time for klia2. As a lcct, baggage retrieval time supposed to be slower than 35 minutes average time of Klia.

At the LCCT, baggage delivery was quick - usually under 30 mins.

klia2 is operating at half its design capacity at the moment - I wonder what will be the baggage waiting time when more passengers use the terminal...

web.jpg

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB), which handled a record 10 million passengers in July, said its top financial executive is leaving on Aug 17, even as the stock slumped to a two-and-a-half-year low amid concerns over costly repairs at the newly opened KLIA2.

The stock fell two sen to RM5.09 yesterday, extending a 9.1% decline over the past one week.

MAHB chief financial officer Faizal Sham Abu Mansor Faizal’s resignation came as MAHB struggles with rising market pressure over potentially huge repair costs at KLIA2, as well as worries over financial claims from its biggest customer – AirAsia Bhd.

CIMB Research in a report yesterday said it had lowered its forecast for MAHB’s earnings by 4% and had cut the discounted cashflow-based target price from RM6 to RM5.43.

The research house is keeping its “hold” call on MAHB and has advised that investors should stay on the sidelines, as the risks are rising from KLIA2 over concerns over AirAsia’s RM409mil letter of demand.

CIMB Research also said airline capacity was also clearly dropping in the second half of 2015, which could hurt traffic.

AirAsia had recently served a letter of demand on MAHB for damages relating to KLIA2’s operations. The airline alleged that MAHB had breached its duty of care and contractual obligations.

“We are not geotechnical experts, but AirAsia’s allegations appear worthy of concern, as they are based on real experience of operating at KLIA2. MAHB may not have given enough time for the land to settle before building on top of it.

“Even if MAHB is not compelled by the regulators to implement a permanent solution, the cost of patchwork resurfacing over four years to cover potentially three feet of subsidence over such a large land area would be incredibly costly,” it said.

MAHB, in countering AirAsia’s statement, said the incident was not due to any parking bay pavement issues, as there were six other aircraft, all of which owned by AirAsia Indonesia, that had docked safely and normally at the same bay before and after the rollback incident.

Meanwhile, in a separate statement yesterday, MAHB said it had recorded 10 million passenger movements last month – its highest ever.

“The MAHB system of airports (including Istanbul’s Sabiha Gokcen International Airport) handled a record 10 million passenger movements, with a double-digit increase of 16.7% compared with July 2014. This is the highest passenger traffic handled by the system of airports for a month.

“The high growth in July was partly due to the lower base numbers during Ramadan,” MAHB said. It said “traffic growth continued even at the end of the month”.

“The end of July was a peak week before Hari Raya, and the fact that the traffic registered a 5.5% positive for the last week of July 2015 is indeed encouraging,” it said.

MAHB said domestic traffic recorded 5.6 million passengers with 22.2% growth, while international traffic recorded 4.4 million passengers with a year-on-year increase of 10.4% compared with the same period a year ago.

AirAsia may ditch klia2 for Langkawi base

By: Bilqis Bahari
KUALA LUMPUR: Sept. 25, 2015:
The ongoing spat between AirAsia Bhd and Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB), with the former’s threats to leave the klia2 terminal, may see the budget carrier possibly moving its base to Langkawi island instead. This possibility has grown stronger because the airline has apparently received a huge 70% discount from MAHB for airport charges in Langkawi – a surprising deal that AirAsia group chief executive officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes has reportedly told Australia-based Centre for Aviation (CAPA).
The Langkawi move poser comes just weeks after AirAsia issued a RM409 million letter of demand on MAHB for loss and damages incurred as a result of operating from klia2 as well as from the previous low cost carrier terminal. The move to Langkawi had already been hinted at by Fernandes and AirAsia Bhd CEO Aireen Omar when they threatened to move out of the newly built RM4 billion klia2 terminal over alleged continued soil settlement there at aircraft parking bays and aprons.

Read more at: http://www.therakyatpost.com/business/2015/09/25/airasia-may-ditch-klia2-for-langkawi-base/