MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

Now that's confusing. So AK will operate in a CLOSED airport? (Need to use the right word otherwise might be slapped with a lawsuit later.)

I am confused. Where should one board one's AK flight on that day?

Very interesting, we will have an airport with 3 runways and 3 terminals... ;)

No, we have three airports (KLIA, LCCT, and KLIA2) sharing the same three runways, taxiways, ICAO code, SIDs, STARs, etc.

I am confused. Where should one board one's AK flight on that day?

No, we have three airports (KLIA, LCCT, and KLIA2) sharing the same three runways, taxiways, ICAO code, SIDs, STARs, etc.

Let's get the fact right. It's only one airport KUL/WMKK with 3 runways and 3 terminals (4 if MTB and Sat are considered separately).

Other airports also have many runways and many terminals. For your info AMS has 6 runways.

Calling a terminal an airport seems to be de rigeur these days :)

Reason for that is because the lengthy distance on road between the LCCT and main terminal building make it feel like another airport altogether. But, at the end of the day - it is one airport.

Having said that ... Don't see the Folks in PER making that mistake :p

I'm a tad surprised that Najib can make a decision, and a good one too. :)

I'm a tad surprised that Najib can make a decision, and a good one too. :)

I think it's just to create less headache for his cousin.

Airasia is very crafty - now they can claim they were FORCED to move to klia2.

Therefore, if anything bad takes place, they can point the finger of blame at MAHB, the MoT and the PM... ;)

I think it's just to create less headache for his cousin.

If AK don't move in to klia2 will impact shops sales and some of these are owned by vvip.

Also from source quoted by MAR above

"It is up to the airlines if they want their passengers to walk, but we will still provide that service (the aerobridge)," .....

That looks an indication the (ridiculous) practice of parking aircraft just short of aerobridges and having pax climb up/down steps just to reach the intended arrival gate

Well done Air Asia and MAHB, maybe Skytrax can have a new award category next year - "Most Accommodating Relationship Between Airline and Airport Operator" :rolleyes:

What I read in between the lines:

• AK will only moved once the PSC at klia2 is finalised. Logically, the PSC will be higher than those charged at the current LCCT because the terminal itself is not low cost.
  • AK does not want to pay for the usage of SITA.
  • AK does not want to pay for the usage of aerobridges.

Basically, I think AK is reluctant to move to klia2 because of cost related reasons, not over functionality, safety and security concerns.

This is actually derived from a grave grand addressing issue, where AK requested for a bigger low cost terminal but similar in conditions and operating costs to the existing facility but were given a bling bling expensive terminal that it is definitely not willing to pay for its added features, more over that now it does seem that they are sort of being forced to pay for certain facilities just by moving into the new terminal.

Bottom line will definitely get hit just by moving into klia2.

What I read in between the lines:

• AK will only moved once the PSC at klia2 is finalised. Logically, the PSC will be higher than those charged at the current LCCT because the terminal itself is not low cost.
  • AK does not want to pay for the usage of SITA.
  • AK does not want to pay for the usage of aerobridges.

Basically, I think AK is reluctant to move to klia2 because of cost related reasons, not over functionality, safety and security concerns.

This is actually derived from a grave grand addressing issue, where AK requested for a bigger low cost terminal but similar in conditions and operating costs to the existing facility but were given a bling bling expensive terminal that it is definitely not willing to pay for its added features, more over that now it does seem that they are sort of being forced to pay for certain facilities just by moving into the new terminal.

Bottom line will definitely get hit just by moving into klia2.

Will this be an excuse for them to raise their fares then?

But isnt having SITA implemented a good thing? or I am wrong here?

If they're not willing to absorb the aerobridge costs, why not offer both stairs and aerobridge boarding to passengers and let them choose?

Offer the latter free for red carpet and hot seat passengers while also offering it to regular pax at an exorbitant price. Throw in a 50% discount for seniors/disabled. Brilliant! :D

A confirmation from Uncle Tony that it's all about the cost and that AK NEVER wanted the bling bing klia2 in the first place. http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/airasia-boss-says-klia2-delay-for-thorough-checks-adds-mahb-failed-keeping

Don't know if the twitter handle @MY_Airports is legit but

OuIcEGQ.jpg

There is nothing to stop MAHB to increases pax tax at a later date. Given the amount spent at klia2, final pax tax at klia2 likely will be the same as mtb.

You know with all this hubbub about AirAsia not wanting klia2, I was just wondering - could the terminal be rejigged so that MH can use it instead?

Why not turn it into a dedicated oneworld terminal & dangle it to BA/QF to entice them back into KUL!

You know with all this hubbub about AirAsia not wanting klia2, I was just wondering - could the terminal be rejigged so that MH can use it instead?

Why not turn it into a dedicated oneworld terminal & dangle it to BA/QF to entice them back into KUL!

Given that choice, AK might just take the offer on the grounds of safety comes first. :)

There is nothing to stop MAHB to increases pax tax at a later date. Given the amount spent at klia2, final pax tax at klia2 likely will be the same as mtb.

Yes, PSC is reviewed from time to time. I remember MAHB stating that the reason why they built extra retail lots in klia2 is so that they get more in rental income, thereby reducing its reliance on the PSC for its revenue.

Airasia did not refuse to move into klia2 - they just questioned the timing of the opening when there are still many unresolved issues, i.e. moving in when it is not ready for operations. klia2 is not like LCCT - it is bigger and more complex as it is now a "hybrid" airport, not a low cost terminal.

I do feel sorry for pax who have to travel in May - it will be chaotic.