MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

Actually the rendering that Baim posted is indeed the final design of the new LCCT. It has been confirmed.

ANNOUNCEMENT

In 2009, LKMD was prequalified by MAHB to enter the New Low Cost Carrier Terminal KLIA design competition among 7 other architectural firms. LKMD led by Lukman Mahmood won the competition and has been engaged by MAHB to develop the detail concept of the winning design. LKMD success in winning the competition are credited to the innovative design solutions and captivating the desires of MAHB in providing World Class Airport............

Note: LKMD was also the winning architect that design MAHB's newly completed headquarters in Sepang.

Main Office:

Level 12, Plaza Sentral,

Jalan Stesen Sentral 5,

50470 Kuala Lumpur

Tel: 03-2780 6688

Here are some additional renderings of our new LCCT.

4421193771_6046caaca6_b.jpg

90689567.jpg

4421193625_f175bba4e1_b.jpg

4421958976_12fdef7008_o.jpg

Thanks to the forumers at Skyscrapercity for compiling the photos and news.

And of course, everyone is so excited about the bridge that connects the main building with its satellite. Just want to ask from construction point of view, is that bridge cheaper than building underground tunnels for passengers' movement? I understand that a very strong tunnel (something like the one just across the Anjung Tinjau) has to be built for the tarmac/apron/taxiway if aircraft is going to move on it.

Oooh look, aerobridges !

Well, I guess they must include those in to justify the contract price

Though the likely biggest user by far doesn't want to pay for their use

And so, we'll likely continue the current ludricous practice of climbing down stairs, walk underneath redundant aerobrige, then walk up stairs again :rolleyes:

Oooh look, aerobridges !

Well, I guess they must include those in to justify the contract price

Though the likely biggest user by far doesn't want to pay for their use

And so, we'll likely continue the current ludricous practice of climbing down stairs, walk underneath redundant aerobrige, then walk up stairs again :rolleyes:

Well they can start charging an Aerobridge Convenience Fee.

Well they can start charging an Aerobridge Convenience Fee.

Will that be optional ? :)

Sort of like those who pay the fee get to board via aerobridge and through entrance at front

Those who opt not to pay do the "climbing down stairs, walk underneath redundant aerobrige, then walk up stairs again" routine and board through entrance at rear :p

It can happen you know, Malaysia Boleh :D

And of course, everyone is so excited about the bridge that connects the main building with its satellite. Just want to ask from construction point of view, is that bridge cheaper than building underground tunnels for passengers' movement? I understand that a very strong tunnel (something like the one just across the Anjung Tinjau) has to be built for the tarmac/apron/taxiway if aircraft is going to move on it.

I am thinking the same as well. The bridge is high (crosses over a A320 tail) and i think its span is more than 100m. For such a long span and yet slim design, it is very likely that it will be a steel structure bridge. One may have 'vibrating' feel on the bridge, especially towards the middle of the span.

I have a gut feel that a tunnel is a cheaper option from construction point of view being the construction is in a greenfield area (no relocation of existing services, no existing traffic hence open cut method - no temporary shoring). However, it may attracts mote operational cost such as ventilation, lightings, drainage, fire requirements etc.

I am not sure if there is any baggage handling tunnel ? If the pedestrian underpass can be incorporated with the baggage tunnel, then i think underpass is the cheapest option from cost point of view.

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

I am thinking the same as well. The bridge is high (crosses over a A320 tail) and i think its span is more than 100m. For such a long span and yet slim design, it is very likely that it will be a steel structure bridge. One may have 'vibrating' feel on the bridge, especially towards the middle of the span.

I have a gut feel that a tunnel is a cheaper option from construction point of view being the construction is in a greenfield area (no relocation of existing services, no existing traffic hence open cut method - no temporary shoring). However, it may attracts mote operational cost such as ventilation, lightings, drainage, fire requirements etc.

I am not sure if there is any baggage handling tunnel ? If the pedestrian underpass can be incorporated with the baggage tunnel, then i think underpass is the cheapest option from cost point of view.

According to the drawing;

- The skybridge’s middle span is 100 meter and about 16 meter above apron.

- There is a underpass/service tunnel equivalent to 6 lane highway width.

- Departure pax need not climb any stair until boarding at hammerhead, which is user friendly. However, arrival pax need to use 2 flight of escalators

:drinks:

As a frequent business traveller point of view, as long as it need not to take too much stairs up and down it is fine. but, as the LCC is taking much business away from the Full service carrier, it would be great to frequent traveller to get off the plane fast, out from airport fast. current LCCT design travel time from aircraft to taxi variable depending on time and airport trafic.

If this is the so called low cost carrier terminal, what does it make other airports in Malaysia... It looks like a big grand airport by itself, not just a low cost terminal.

If this is the so called low cost carrier terminal, what does it make other airports in Malaysia... It looks like a big grand airport by itself, not just a low cost terminal.

If one read carefully, it is a terminal for low cost carriers to operate from

Nothing there to say the terminal itself should be low cost

Heaven forbid in fact

These mega airport projects come by but once in a blue moon, whilst the food chain is constantly growing ;)

Isn't it like too good to be true? Terminal with that size :rofl: needs more than 10 active-airline to operate.......

Isn't it like too good to be true? Terminal with that size :rofl: needs more than 10 active-airline to operate.......

At current AK fleet size, over half of the gates will be occupied before the morning departure.

:drinks:

By next year another 16 A320s would have arrived.

Not sure how many of them will be sent to FD, QZ and Vietjet AirAsia, though.

the main terminal building looks like troopers's head in starwars.. funny but creative! LOL

Okay guys, now we have something called PLCCT!

===

PM brokers AirAsia-MAHB peace

By Lee Wei Lian

SEPANG, May 3 — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak has intervened to resolve long-standing disputes between budget carrier AirAsia and aiport operator Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) over a new budget terminal in KLIA, according to AirAsia.

AirAsia today announced that it has reached an agreement with MAHB on a number of issues pertaining to the new permanent Low Cost Carrier Terminal (PLCCT) and the existing LCCT.

“The resurrection of this spirit of partnership between AirAsia and MAHB owes much to the personal intervention of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Najib Razak, who set aside valuable time and resources to ensure an outcome that bodes well for the future,” said AirAsia in a statement.

“Both MAHB and AirAsia are committed to working closely together to help boost the country’s tourism and the larger economy thus placing the needs of the nation over lesser parochial interests.”

AirAsia and MAHB had previously clashed over issues such as the design and facilities of the PLLCT and LCCT.

“A big battle ended for us today,” said AirAsia group CEO Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes. “This enables us to plan for the next ten years.”

“The prime minister played a key role in getting us together,” said AirAsia deputy group CEO Datuk Kamarudin Meranun.

The agreements include an addition of eight aircraft parking bays at LCCT and sufficient parking bays for 76 aircraft at the PLCCT.

AirAsia will also be allowed to build its headquarters next to the PLCCT.

The low-cost carrier had previously complained that the lack of parking bays had hampered its expansion plans.

Fernandes said that with the added capacity, the airline will now relook at routes that were discontinued such as Haadyai, Palembang and Balikpapan.

The airline is also expected to start flights to the Maldives in the next six months.

Fernandes added that a new “commercial deal” comprising of incentives for new routes is being worked out with MAHB, and will allow AirAsia to take more risks in developing new routes but declined to elaborate.

“The MAHB CEO made a big effort to resolve our issues,” said Fernandes. “I believe we can make KLIA a hub and premier airport.”

Asked what else required to make KLIA a hub, Fernandes replied: “We need more long haul flights. We can’t just have short haul flights.”

He said that a few more issues will be finalised in the next few days but declined to go into details.

MAHB had also agreed to provisions for covered pedestrian walkways to the car parks at the LCCT, a semi-automated baggage handling system, and check-in counter designs that incorporate AirAsia’s input.

Fernandes then urged KTM to build an extension from Nilai to the PLCCT.

The PLCCT is expected to be completed between September 2011 and March 2012. It will have a capacity of 30 million or double the capacity of the present LCCT.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/index.php/business/62031-pm-brokers-airasia-mahb-peace

Project's progress as at 2 July 2010. The size of the land cleared is almost as vast as the current KLIA. The site of the 3rd runway is visible too.

DSC09154.jpg

DSC09152.jpg

DSC09156.jpg

DSC09155.jpg

DSC09549.jpg

DSC09157.jpg

DSC09550.jpg

DSC09553.jpg

Sharp eyes! Must be because of the reflection at the engine. Or were you onboard too? My second time flying with SRE, kinda glad since she has been marked to relocate to Russia. But some of the photos were also shot when I was on the inbound journey with SRI.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

few months ago,MAHB said new lcct terminal will be known as 'KLIA-2'.have they changed their minds?

Will that be optional ? :)

Sort of like those who pay the fee get to board via aerobridge and through entrance at front

Those who opt not to pay do the "climbing down stairs, walk underneath redundant aerobrige, then walk up stairs again" routine and board through entrance at rear :p

It can happen you know, Malaysia Boleh :D

might be the aerobridges are for other operators.what i heard is the new LCC terminal is not only for AK and its subsidiaries.it will be use by other airlines as well.