MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

All these delays would not have happened if all various stakeholders were brought together in the various meeting and feedback session pre-launching, on going and post construction.

It would definitely lessen the blaming game, MAHB can only blame AirAsia for that few times for their supposed 'change in design'. So now what excuse they going to use? Remember pre-GE13, the opposition lawmakers had stated KLIA2 will not be completed for handover in June 2013. The ruling parties jumped on the gun and promised vehemently it would be done.

Then two days after the election, MAHB retracted and said the delay was "indefinite". On May 14, the general manager Fawzy Ahmad said KLIA2 could only be ready by "4th quarter 2013". Now it is delayed again......

Competency, accountability and responsibility, these three words never exist in GLC's dictionary.

j2lp.jpg
Chronology of events up till 28th June 2013, the supposed 6th re-timed handover date.
tbnr.jpg
6mh.JPG
Edited by JuliusWong

LAD is normally wayang..never really impose to the contractors..from my experience

KLIA2 ’98% completed’ and ‘on schedule’

PETALING JAYA: The government will not at any point of time revise the opening date of the first hybrid airport, Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (KLIA2) as the main contractors have pledged to deliver it by end of January 2014.

Deputy Transport Minister Abdul Aziz Kaprawi, who heads the KLIA2 taskforce which monitors progress of the multi-billion ringgit project, said from the meeting that he had last Thursday with the management of Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) and UEM Construction Sdn Bhd-Bina Puri Holdings Bhd joint venture, the main contractor of the terminal building, an assurance has been given that the works will be completed as per schedule.

“Overall, the airport is 98% completed and remaining 2% involves final touch-up works. At the moment, it is behind schedule, however the contractors have one and a half months more to complete the 2% remaining works. So, I don’t see any relevance in another delay to occur,” he told The Malaysian Reserve in a telephone conversation last Friday.

Abdul Aziz was responding to a news report last Friday claiming that KLIA2 will miss its May 2 deadline due to construction issues.

“As long as the contractors deliver the finished project by Jan 31, 2014, the operational readiness and airport transfer (ORAT) process will start from Feb 1, 2014. I am confident everything will be on schedule and will be in place by May 2, 2014. We will not compromise on anymore delays,” he said.

On June 2013, after five delays, MAHB announced April 30, 2014, as the new deadline for completion of the project and set May 2, 2014, as the new operational date of the project.

The current cost for the construction of KLIA2 has increased to RM4 billion from its initial cost of RM2 billion due to change in main airport plan including automation of the baggage handling system and increase in number of customs checkpoints.

The initial project delivery date was 20 months after earthworks began in 2010.

Meanwhile, MAHB in its latest filing to Bursa Malaysia last Friday stated it was monitoring the progress of the KLIA2 construction and expressed concern over the slippage in the work schedule of the main terminal building.

“We reiterated to the terminal building contractor that this project is of national importance and therefore they should make every endeavour to complete on time as committed by them for the May 2, 2014, opening of KLIA2,” it said.

It added that the special taskforce under the purview of Abdul Aziz is also aware of those concerns and is continuing to monitor the construction works “diligently”.

The works on the aeronautical ground lighting and air traffic control systems are progressing on schedule, while the apron, third runway and taxi-way and other infrastructure facilities have been completed, it said.

“The terminal building is scheduled to be completed together with the certificate of completion and compliance (CCC) by end of January 2014, to enable ORAT to commence for three months before the opening date of May 2, 2014,” MAHB said.

KLIA2 is built to be Malaysia’s new international airport hub, that allows seamless connectivity for both local and international low-cost plus full service carriers.

The new terminal measures about 257,000 sq m, with 60 gates, eight remote stands, 80 aerobridges, plus a retail space of 32,000 sq m to accommodate 225 retail outlets and designed to cater to 45 million passengers a year with a built cost of around RM4 billion.

The existing low-cost terminal catered to 19 million passenger traffic in 2012 while the main terminal at KLIA, 39.9 million, the company’s website revealed.

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/top-news/2013/12/16/klia2-98-completed-and-on-schedule/

I can only say that, over the years it had gotten worse in KLIA, LCCT (experienced it since its first few days of operation till now) and Subang. In KLIA and LCCT, taxi counter staff forever trying to sell executive ticket on the slightest pretext (eg one single piece of 28inch luggage 'too large to fit into taxi boot') There was no usher in Subang at night two Sundays ago, boarding of cab was tardy resulting in long waiting time despite a relatively short queue.

Edited by V Wong

Klia2 Likely To Get CCC By Month-End, Says Hishamuddin

January 07, 2014 13:56 PM

SEPANG, Jan 7 (Bernama) -- The low-cost terminal, klia2, is likely to receive the Certificate of Completion and Compliance (CCC) by month-end, says acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishamuddin Hussein.

He said overall, the airport was now 98 per cent complete, and remains on track for the May 2 opening.

"Upon obtaining the CCC, Operational Readiness and Airport Transfer (ORAT) tests would be undertaken at the klia2 for three months, prior to the opening.

"Receipt of the ORAT certification is based on rectification works on cracks, the cooling system, and renovations undertaken according to specifications as directed," Hishamuddin added.

Asked if the cost of the klia2 would exceed RM4 billion, he said it would not exceed the figure.

"However, we will reveal the total cost of the klia2, once completed.

"All parties are now working together 24/7 to meet this deadline," Hishamuddin told the media in conjunction with his official visit to the klia2 here today.

Late last month, the joint venture (JV) of UEM Construction Sdn Bhd and Bina Puri Sdn Bhd said the work package for klia2, would be completed by the stipulated deadline of Jan 31.

The companies said they were "working rigorously" to ensure the physical completion of the work package and obtain the CCC by Jan 31.

The RM997 million work package awarded to the JV includes the construction of the main terminal building, satellite building, sky bridge and piers.

Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) set May 2 for the opening of the klia2 for operations, following the missed completion date of April 30, 2013.

On another note, MAHB's Senior General Manager Operations Datuk Azmi Murad said those renting space at the klia2, will be able to move into their premises next month to begin advance preparations for the May opening.

Meanwhile, Hishamuddin said his ministry had invited companies involved in Malaysia's airline industry for a discussion on its direction through the National Aviation Policy.The discussion is scheduled for the end of this month.

This airport has been between 95-98% complete for months! Just say lah... "Nearly there!"

I like the 'likely'

Klia2 Likely To Get CCC By Month-End, Says Hishamuddin

I like the "likely"... leeway for endless possibilities. Oops

Did they purchase 1,000 luggage bags to do the test run?

I think in the old KLIA testing days they use unclaimed luggage for the test.

Nowadays things could be different, getting a contract to supply 1000 luggage for testing could be lucrative. The possibilities are endless.

While the matter once again throws into light the question of whether klia2 will indeed meet its many-time delayed deadline, a source says that all is not lost and that MAHB could still meet its operational deadline by starting some tests without waiting for UEMC-BinaPuri to secure the certificate first.

Don't you just love the reassuring "all is not lost" sentiment of said source :D

Perhaps pre-emptive shield for when stuff starts hitting the fan :D

Edited by BC Tam

MAHB Statement to Bursa Malaysia:

Further to our announcement dated 13 December 2013, Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) wishes to advise that it has yet to receive the Certificate of Completion and Compliance (CCC) for the klia2 terminal building from UEMC-Bina Puri JV, which was scheduled on 31st January 2014.

MAHB will continue to engage with UEMC-Bina Puri JV on the next course of action in regard to the issuance of the CCC and the commencement of Operational Readiness and Airport Transfer (ORAT). All efforts are being taken to support UEMC-Bina Puri JV towards the completion of the terminal building to enable the opening of klia2 on 2nd May 2014.
This announcement is dated 4 February 2014.

02may2014...OK, we'll see :pardon:

Most people have banned Airasia Group or LCCT operating flights due to poor condition of the airport there.

I actually don't mind the condition, but I ban because of lack of direct train service to KL Sentral.

I actually don't mind the condition, but I ban because of lack of direct train service to KL Sentral.

I won't bother on AK's domestic flight as the fares are really comparable with OD or even MH! Only the international flights, especially the long haul one, yeah like D7. I was successfully upgraded to premium on my KUL - PVG sector, with only 150 MYR!

Most people have banned Airasia Group or LCCT operating flights due to poor condition of the airport there.

I think half the travelling public ban - cos about 20+m people still travel via LCCT... And with klia2, it will probably reach 40m within a few years...