MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

13 hours ago, flee said:

My personal take is that the previous naming was logical even though people got confused. KLIA2 is really a different airport. Pax don't have airside connectivity between terminals, it has its own runway and travelling between terminals on the roads take quite a fair bit of time.

Perhaps, the Ministry of Transport is thinking of more connectivity between terminals to leverage the unused capacity as the govt. would not have the money to build the second satellite terminal for KLIA anytime soon.

Lets see what happens....

Technically, they share the same runway. Runway 15/33 can be used by main terminal operators as well and vice versa KLIA2 using Runway 32L/R 14L/R. So its not a different airport per say. A lot of foreign airports dont have airside connectivity too between terminals. Some are at opposite ends of the airport. Just like how the old LCCT used to operate.

Edited by Pall

Unless KLIA2 has a different IATA code from KUL, I will think KLIA2 is not a separate airport. Yes, people do confuse with different airport names share the same IATA code.

Not sure if there are two different airports in the world share the same IATA code.

6 hours ago, Pall said:

Technically, they share the same runway. Runway 15/33 can be used by main terminal operators as well and vice versa KLIA2 using Runway 32L/R 14L/R. So its not a different airport per say. A lot of foreign airports dont have airside connectivity too between terminals. Some are at opposite ends of the airport. Just like how the old LCCT used to operate.

ive landed on it a few times when flying MH/OD

12 hours ago, Kee Hooi Yen said:

Unless KLIA2 has a different IATA code from KUL, I will think KLIA2 is not a separate airport. Yes, people do confuse with different airport names share the same IATA code.

Not sure if there are two different airports in the world share the same IATA code.

Well, that is why whether it is LCCT, klia2 or KLIA, it is just a name. There is no right or wrong name and the airport operator can call it any name that it thinks is logical. They all belong to the whole eco system. I think what prompted MAHB to  call it klia2 was because it was still a terminal for LCCs. Perhaps calling it T2 now will mean that the distinction will be removed and any airline is free to send its planes there.

Edited by flee

8 hours ago, flee said:

Well, that is why whether it is LCCT, klia2 or KLIA, it is just a name. There is no right or wrong name and the airport operator can call it any name that it thinks is logical. They all belong to the whole eco system. I think what prompted MAHB to  call it klia2 was because it was still a terminal for LCCs. Perhaps calling it T2 now will mean that the distinction will be removed and any airline is free to send its planes there.

You are correct and I agree there is no right or wrong names. There way I see people especially some foreigners confuse with KLIA2 is when it’s IATA code is KUL yet it has a separate airport name (not terminal) from KLIA thinking it is a separate airport. I have friends asking me if the tickets they booked are correct, especially when they have flights to and from both KLIA and KLIA2. When you think it is a logical name, it may not to some foreigners. Nevertheless I believe this is just a minority group.

1 hour ago, Kee Hooi Yen said:

I have friends asking me if the tickets they booked are correct, especially when they have flights to and from both KLIA and KLIA2. When you think it is a logical name, it may not to some foreigners. Nevertheless I believe this is just a minority group.

This is what happens when you don't follow accepted international conventions and do your own thing!

Minorities will always be there, that is why we say "we can't please everybody all of the time".

When booking for a flight, I believe the convention for vast majority (layman like me) is that if the airport code is different (like NRT & HND) then both are of 2 different airports at 2 separate locations. If the airport code is just like say KUL, then its just 1 airport (no matter how many runaways it has) but if there is different terminal buildings then by convention it should be labelled as Terminal 1, aterminal 2 or LCCT terminal or Watever Terminal. Then people will search on options of how to get from one terminal to the other if they need to be.

I've met people who arrive at KLIA 1 & asking me how to go to KLIA 2 and his flight is departing in around 60 minutes' time. After explaining to him the train option, he looks like he couldn't make it to his flight. So sad.

On 2/16/2023 at 1:00 AM, JuliusWong said:

image.png

Looks like MAHB is now progressively updating its website. This is good to see. Spot any mistake?

seems like the bus route doable with 3 buses .... but thr will be 24/7 15 minutes bus or no bus at midnight? i prefer they make the timetable eg KLIA transit/express so I can know the exact departure time..

btw, KLIA T2 go to T1 require 20 minutes....

Screenshot_1.png