MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

This is what happens when there is zero accountability. Due to monopoly and a government that is bankrupt, MAHB is actually operating on a zero risk environment. Build and spend whatever you want and if things don't work out, the passengers and airlines can pay for it.

I can assure you this is not true.

This is what happens when there is zero accountability. Due to monopoly and a government that is bankrupt, MAHB is actually operating on a zero risk environment. Build and spend whatever you want and if things don't work out, the passengers and airlines can pay for it.

MAHB is a listed public company - there are a number of institutional investors they are answerable to in addition to a small number of retail investors.

Business risk is much lower, it being a GLC. However, it faces similar financial risks as other commercial organisations.

The fact that the company is listed makes no difference. Same with Proton and the rest of them. In other countries, privatised airports, being a monopoly, are regulated in what they can charge for landing fees, passenger fees and car parking fees. For example in Australia, their charges are regulated by the ACCC.

In any other company, heads would have rolled for the debacle that is KLIA2.

In other countries, privatised airports, being a monopoly, are regulated in what they can charge for landing fees, passenger fees and car parking fees. For example in Australia, their charges are regulated by the ACCC

I believe same here, gahmen decides via Malaysian Aviation Commission (MAVCOM) to what degree we're fleeced :)

If Tony Fernandes were to get his Labu, we would not have to pay airport tax now.. Just to have walk through shopping complex to reach your plane..

If Tony Fernandes were to get his Labu, we would not have to pay airport tax now.. Just to have walk through shopping complex to reach your plane..

Be careful what you wish for.......lolx. The Labu project was to be done with Sime Darby which is a GLC. Since it is a private airport, TF and SD might hike their fee at their whim.

Somehow I think someone behind the scene does not want another player in airport infrastructure, which by any means not cheap to operate.

hahahaha right.....

Somehow I think someone behind the scene does not want another player in airport infrastructure, which by any means not cheap to operate.

hehe.. wait and see........

Be careful what you wish for.......lolx. The Labu project was to be done with Sime Darby which is a GLC. Since it is a private airport, TF and SD might hike their fee at their whim.

Not sure if Labu can be considered a monopoly - afterall, bottom line airfares need to be competitive with airlines operating out of KLIA. However, the Airasia Group (20-25 million pax p.a.) is now of a size that is large enough to have its own private main hub airport, if it makes financial and business sense.

If we look at the UK experience, MAHB should be made to divest some of its airports so that it does not have a monopoly in this country. Unfortunately, other than KLIA, only Penang and Kota Kinabalu are significant airports. The rest of the airports in the country are probably not commercially attractive to investors. JHB is already privatised.

You have great points in that second sentence. As I've mentioned earlier, just wait and see.

However do note that the reason MAHB is given the "monopoly" is because it has to use the profitable airports to subsidize the ones that are not. If MAHB divests PEN/BKI, who will take care of the others?

Remember the origins of AirAsia X? FAX? Same thing.

If Tony get to start his Labu airport project, one week after the bulldozer started work he will handed it over to the government citing costs etc. Then the government will have to complete it using tax payers money then we will be the one to complain why we are not utilising the full potential of KLIA.

IMO flying out of KUL for few years, air asia group having the KLIA2 and runway 15/33 almost exclusively to themselves. Thats akin to having their own airport already. And thats even better considering their aircrafts can still utilised the other two runways. And having ERL connection right at the doorstep. What's more to ask? Sure, as a businessman he wont stop asking till he got everything free of charge but we have to be more reasonable. If all he care is to let public fly cheap and affordable then lower the fare and take less profit then.

But he wont. We are all want to make a living. MAHB is no different.

Guess it all about being competitive..

Raising KLIA2 psc will not just weaken Air Asia's competitiveness but also our competitiveness as a whole.

For international travellers, Malaysia is not that attractive a destination apart from being cheap.. So if we raise airport fee simply because we are still relatively cheap, we are chipping away at our competitiveness to our regional competitors..

Found mab won't accept check in luggage with old luggage stickers (not tag) on. Either need to remove, blacken old stickers or wrap it.

Automatic luggage drop had this issue but never on manual baggage drop.

Yes, this would help to ensure the bags are not sent to the wrong place. Once you load the luggage onto the belt, where the luggage goes depends on the tag you have on the bag. There is no human intervention. That is why I always remove my tags after every trip.

Went through KLIA2 recently for the first time this year. I find it strange that J pier and K/L pier have different waiting lounge layouts.

Personally, I prefer waiting for my flights at any J gates because the area is so open and airy.

Accessing the K/L pier requires me up the escalator and go down again (or is there a straight level way to access the area?).

Anthony Loke: KLIA and KLIA2 to be rebranded to Terminals 1 and 2

PUTRAJAYA, Feb 9 — The Malaysian government has agreed in principle to rebrand the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) and Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (KLIA2) to KLIA Terminal 1 and KLIA Terminal 2 respectively.

58 minutes ago, Zamir said:

Anthony Loke: KLIA and KLIA2 to be rebranded to Terminals 1 and 2

PUTRAJAYA, Feb 9 — The Malaysian government has agreed in principle to rebrand the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) and Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (KLIA2) to KLIA Terminal 1 and KLIA Terminal 2 respectively.

I must be dreaming. Common sense prevailing at long last?!

4 hours ago, Chris Tan said:

I must be dreaming. Common sense prevailing at long last?!

How about rebranding KLIA 1 and KLIA 2  as KLIA T1 and KLIA T2 (respectively) plus the revamped Subang airport as KLIA2 ? 🤭

3 hours ago, BC Tam said:

How about rebranding KLIA 1 and KLIA 2  as KLIA T1 and KLIA T2 (respectively) plus the revamped Subang airport as KLIA2 ? 🤭

how about knocking down KLIA 2 and building something decent.

Malaysians just love to complain for the sake of complaining (not amongst members here) but if you read comments (they are the best), people are questioning the need to change the terminology when it worked fine for them. They don't know how confusing it is for non-Malaysians when they refer it as KLIA1 and KLIA2. Some non-Malaysians will think that it's a different airport (and to make matters worse, some Malaysians claim it's a different airport too - without knowing the difference between "airport" and "terminal").

And some Malaysians are claiming they will be confused in the future because they are accustomed to Terminal 1 for international and Terminal 2 for domestic (e.g. SZB days before T3 was built) but now T1 and T2 both serves domestic and international. What has the quality of education in Malaysia gone down to?

We will get used to the new names eventually, as long as there are good connections between terminals, and MAB and Capital A airline groups do not spread their operations across two terminals.

8 hours ago, Craig said:

Malaysians just love to complain for the sake of complaining (not amongst members here) but if you read comments (they are the best), people are questioning the need to change the terminology when it worked fine for them. They don't know how confusing it is for non-Malaysians when they refer it as KLIA1 and KLIA2. Some non-Malaysians will think that it's a different airport (and to make matters worse, some Malaysians claim it's a different airport too - without knowing the difference between "airport" and "terminal").

And some Malaysians are claiming they will be confused in the future because they are accustomed to Terminal 1 for international and Terminal 2 for domestic (e.g. SZB days before T3 was built) but now T1 and T2 both serves domestic and international. What has the quality of education in Malaysia gone down to?

Let me open the can of worms: Will the departure tax/ airport tax/toilet fee/ or whatever they call it be the same? But but but........Terminal 2 has no carpet and need to walk so far!!!!! Terminal 1 has carpet!! Ok, drama queen over.......

My personal take is that the previous naming was logical even though people got confused. KLIA2 is really a different airport. Pax don't have airside connectivity between terminals, it has its own runway and travelling between terminals on the roads take quite a fair bit of time.

Perhaps, the Ministry of Transport is thinking of more connectivity between terminals to leverage the unused capacity as the govt. would not have the money to build the second satellite terminal for KLIA anytime soon.

Lets see what happens....

3 hours ago, flee said:

My personal take is that the previous naming was logical even though people got confused. KLIA2 is really a different airport. Pax don't have airside connectivity between terminals, it has its own runway and travelling between terminals on the roads take quite a fair bit of time.

I was looking at HND flights the other day. Their terminal naming scheme is clear but very illogical. What were they thinking with T1/T2/T3? I almost thought they were part of the same airport. Most people have no airside connection anyway. T3 opened in 2010 along with a new runway, and it's so far away that it may as well be in Yokohama. No way it's the same airport, I'm telling you.

Come to think of it, NYC has a LOT of different airports. Most of them are totally unconnected. JFK1, JFK4, JFK5, JFK8, EWRA1, EWRA2, EWRA3, EWRB1, EWRB2-B3, etc.

7 hours ago, Chris Tan said:

I was looking at HND flights the other day. Their terminal naming scheme is clear but very illogical. What were they thinking with T1/T2/T3? I almost thought they were part of the same airport. Most people have no airside connection anyway. T3 opened in 2010 along with a new runway, and it's so far away that it may as well be in Yokohama. No way it's the same airport, I'm telling you.

Come to think of it, NYC has a LOT of different airports. Most of them are totally unconnected. JFK1, JFK4, JFK5, JFK8, EWRA1, EWRA2, EWRA3, EWRB1, EWRB2-B3, etc.

I think Tokyo and NYC airports are old airports and it is understandable they don't have the best facilities. KLIA is a purpose built development and should be compared to modern airports like HKIA or Changi.

It is good that MoT is scrutinising the KLIA development because recent actions indicate that development plans have somewhat deviated from the original stated purpose of the land reserved for KLIA.