MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

It is a dumb article...so the huge customer base in the Klang Valley will also move to Langkawi just because an airline decides to set up a hub at LGK? I dont see many folks moving simply to follow an airline.

I would say the article is correct and more importantly visionary!

It just requires something very simple to happen, and I'm no geologist, but i don't see why not.

All that article needs for it to be a journalistic masterpiece is for the earth's tectonic plates to shift overnight moving langkawi south past penang (bit tricky but should be able to squeeze past penang Island), past perak, and conveniently park itself near klang.

I think that the piece has some truth and some fantasy attached to it.

LGK will never replace KUL as AK's HQ but it can be as important as BKI for the tourist/leisure travel sector.

Many tourists now fly in to LGK indirectly, transiting at KUL/SIN. AK can operate direct services into LGK so that tourists do not need to transit. I would say that starting direct flights to HKG and CAN would be a good start. D7 should also try to start services to LGK from NE Asia and Australia.

With more direct flights to LGK, fewer domestic flights from KUL would be needed. KUL might also need fewer flights from overseas destinations as more pax will not need to transit in KUL as there are now direct flights. As such, KUL will diminish in importance and secondary hubs like LGK and BKI become more important.

KUL will always be central to AK's operations, but its growth will moderate due to the build up at secondary airports.

Edited by flee

D7 should also try to start services to LGK from NE Asia and Australia.

Until we get hoards of foreign tourists flocking to LGK, it'll be hard to sustain such medium/long haul flights. Langkawi just isn't in the same league as Bali and Phuket.

Until we get hoards of foreign tourists flocking to LGK, it'll be hard to sustain such medium/long haul flights. Langkawi just isn't in the same league as Bali and Phuket.

According to our gomen; up until 2014, there were more tourists visit LGK than Bali.

It is a dumb article...

What made you jump to that conclusion ?! :)

Could it be the implied assumption that the purported 70% discount on airport charges at LGK offered by airport operator MAHB is now being used by AK group as leverage in their negotiations/dispute with KLIA2's operator (the same aforementioned MAHB, if it need pointing out btw) ?

:D

Job opportunities would also abound for locals with the possible increase in passenger traffic

If by some quirk this fantasy shift of base from KLIA2 to LGK does materialize, can you imagine how much manpower AK will need to 'import' into Langkawi ?

Certainly nothing low cost about that ! :)

Edited by BC Tam

Why do I hear tantrum and petulance from AK?

Not dissimilar to the antics of Ryanair, Qatar and a few others....

Latest Update on klia2

25 October 2015

Bay Q10 and Q12 at klia2 have been closed due to fuel spillage. The Malaysia Airports Aviation Fire and Rescue team started cleaning the affected bays at 11 am today. The cause of the spillage is still unknown and KAFS who is responsible for aircraft fuelling is investigating into the root cause of the spillage. We apologise for the inconvenience caused. We would like to reassure that safety remains our utmost priority and klia2 is operating as normal.

Same case as before I think. Fuel lines ruptured because of soil settlement. Last year it was K2-K18. Anybody wanna bet the lines at the other gates will rupture too?

FUEL LEAK AT BAY Q10 AND Q12 NOT DUE TO SOIL DEPRESSION

26 October 2015

Malaysia Airports would like to clarify that the leak from the fuel pipeline discovered at klia2 yesterday was not caused by soil depression as reported in the media. According to Kuala Lumpur Aviation Fueling Systems (KAFS) who is responsible for management, operations and maintenance of the pipelines, the pipelines are resting on pile-to-set foundation hence they are not affected by soil settlement.

As reported earlier, only two bays i.e. Q10 & Q12 are affected by this incident and KAFS is currently carrying out inspection to identify its root cause. The Department of Civil Aviation has also been briefed on this incident.

Meanwhile, airport operations at klia2 are not affected as there are sufficient bays to cater for wide body aircraft daily operations. Based on flight operations data, there are 9 other contact bays and 6 remote bays available for wide body aircrafts requirements. Malaysia Airports will be engaging closely with the airlines in order to brief them and provide reassurance that the flight operations will not be affected.

Malaysia Airports would also like to reassure the public that safety remains our utmost priority.

How can such a massive and important project can be such a mess....from early days of soil settlement issue, to delay in official opening to now 'ponding' issue to fuel leak........

Oh Malaysia......

How can such a massive and important project can be such a mess....from early days of soil settlement issue, to delay in official opening to now 'ponding' issue to fuel leak........

Oh Malaysia......

Oh Malaysia isn't the only one experiencing issues - at least klia2 is now operating, as opposed to Berlin Brandenburg which is still not up to scratch...

Oh Malaysia isn't the only one experiencing issues - at least klia2 is now operating, as opposed to Berlin Brandenburg which is still not up to scratch...

I guess that makes it perfectly excusable for KLIA2 to be such a mess

I guess that makes it perfectly excusable for KLIA2 to be such a mess

Of course not. Just saying that complex construction undertaking like an airport terminal will have niggles & that blaming everybody under the sun is not constructive at all.

It is not about blaming, it is about accountability and taking responsibility in completing the tasks effectively and efficiently.

We are talking about a multi billion project here and millions of passengers are using it daily. Not forgetting thousand of staff working in it.

So we shall wait till something bad happened before we take precautionary measure (or lack of)??

KLIA2 is only two years old and MAHB is already spending close to RM77 million in fixing them!! The bill is alarming enough to warrant an investigation!

Typical 'tak apa' attitude should not apply here.....

It is not about blaming, it is about accountability and taking responsibility in completing the tasks effectively and efficiently.

Well they are rectifying it are they not?

Is MAHB shirking their responsibilities with regards to this? Of course not.

Just to be clear, the pic above shows rainwater ponding issue and not fuel leak incident ?! :)

(yikes, Berita Harian has it as fuel leak) :shok:

Edited by BC Tam