MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

Let's get the fact right. It's only one airport KUL/WMKK with 3 runways and 3 terminals (4 if MTB and Sat are considered separately).

Other airports also have many runways and many terminals. For your info AMS has 6 runways.

The media is telling us we have KLIA airport, LCCT airport, and KLIA2 the newest airport. Three airports, sir.

It will be fair to passengers using KLIA2 to pay a higher PSC than current LCCT. It's no longer a low cost terminal. Read that Air Asia had even asked for spa and museum.. Lots of things happened behind the scene I suppose..

It will be fair to passengers using KLIA2 to pay a higher PSC than current LCCT. It's no longer a low cost terminal. Read that Air Asia had even asked for spa and museum.. Lots of things happened behind the scene I suppose..

Tony said he is aware of the museum idea but not the spa. He stressed that he wanted a low cost terminal, not a RM4 billion "hybrid" terminal. Tony also said until yesterday, the CCC was still not out.

Airasia just wanted a bigger cow shed. MAHB gave them an airport with other luxuries.

I think Airasia is, understandably, nervous. Its main advantage is that it is able to keep its costs down. With growing competition from the likes of Lion, Tiger, and other new LCC operations, it is in danger of losing its cost advantage.

LCCs do not have a great deal of margins to play with - just look at the impact of Malindo on its profitability last year. Its success can quickly turn into a disaster. It does not have a bottomless pit of bailout funds.

If Airasia collapses due to difficulties in its business model, air fares in this country will rise - that is a given...

Hi Guys, I'm scheduled for a trip on AA which happens to fall in the duration of the potential cutover from LCCT to KLIA2..if it happens.

Just wondering if you guys happen to have any idea on things like how many car parks are available (for overnight parking), rates etc?

The media is telling us we have KLIA airport, LCCT airport, and KLIA2 the newest airport. Three airports, sir.

And you believed the media! What are the ICAO codes for LCCT and KLIA2? Is it WMKK, WMKK2 and WMKK3

And you believed the media! What are the ICAO codes for LCCT and KLIA2? Is it WMKK, WMKK2 and WMKK3

Pretty sure Mr Zao's post was tongue in cheek, sir.

To be fair AK can't expect the airport tax to remain the same for years to come, more so from a government that promised no fuel hike just prior to election. They should do well not to fully believe and depend on them and have a plan of their own. Anything that goes their way should be consider bonus.

Credit to MAHB they didn't just follow whatever AK wanted. For the volume of passengers passing thru the terminal each year it just make common business sense to want to milk more out of it.

To be fair AK can't expect the airport tax to remain the same for years to come, more so from a government that promised no fuel hike just prior to election. They should do well not to fully believe and depend on them and have a plan of their own. Anything that goes their way should be consider bonus.

Credit to MAHB they didn't just follow whatever AK wanted. For the volume of passengers passing thru the terminal each year it just make common business sense to want to milk more out of it.

In U.S and E.U, airports are treated like conventional transport hub; food, drinks, etc are not sold at premium price.

Pretty sure Mr Zao's post was tongue in cheek, sir.

Media... How many years have they called LCCT an airport; now they are calling KLIA2 an airport. But I must agree KLIA2 is kinda misleading, unless it means KLIA Phase 2.

I think Airasia is not as badly impacted by the 3 year delay as Airasia X were. Bottom line is that Airasia should be looking for opportunities outside Malaysia if they are to expand in future. With the RM steadily falling, they should diversify their forex risks too. They are fully invested in Malaysia already.

You know with all this hubbub about AirAsia not wanting klia2, I was just wondering - could the terminal be rejigged so that MH can use it instead?

Why not turn it into a dedicated oneworld terminal & dangle it to BA/QF to entice them back into KUL!

I recall reading that MAHB forbids full service airlines from flying to klia2. And since the news about Satellite 2 has been going around for a couple of months now, I think the best chance for a dedicated oneworld terminal at KUL is with Satellite 2. I really really hope MAHB does its homework and build Satellite 2 by benchmarking against the best of its kind in the world (I think it should be DXB Concourse A). This is because if the layout of Satelllite 2 will be identical to Satellite 1, then KUL is going nowhere (read: layout, not architecture aspect).

I recall reading an analyst report about the forecasted PSC charges at the whole of KUL (which is inclusive of klia2) until 2020 which will be increased steadily in stages. Will report back if I found that report again.

Media... How many years have they called LCCT an airport; now they are calling KLIA2 an airport. But I must agree KLIA2 is kinda misleading, unless it means KLIA Phase 2.

My definition would be: klia2 = KLIA Terminal 2.

Probably but I have no knowledge of ICN.

The most important thing is that the terminal got to have a very large Golden Lounge with direct access to aircraft (lounge-to-aircraft like what DXB is offering). That's all, on top of being spacious, easy to navigate, feels premium and architecturally pleasing.

Some photos of KLIA2 during operational readiness and airport transfer(ORAT) trial operations this morning.

IMG_5418.jpg

Have to pass through mall area on our way to departure hall

IMG_5421.jpg

Giant FID greeted us once we arrived at departure hall

IMG_5450.jpg

Check-in area.

IMG_5441.jpg

IMG_5443.jpg

IMG_5444.jpg

IMG_5446.jpg

IMG_5461.jpg

Toilet,attractive sticker isn`t it?

IMG_5488.jpg

Airside of gate J area.

IMG_5491.jpg

I was assigned to Gate J20.Located at far end of the terminal.

IMG_5495.jpg

Internet and smoking lounge at the airside

IMG_5498.jpg

IMG_5502.jpg

There you are J20!

IMG_5507.jpg

IMG_5480.jpg

can the A320 go thru the bridge?

I am wondering that too,as you can see the centre line of the taxiway ended right before the skybridge.

can the A320 go thru the bridge?

Well if you want scale - check out those trucks.

They are the earth movers we always see at construction sites in Malaysia.

And they skybridge make them look like they are one-ton lorries!

Addon: is this MAHB's first airport with carpet not in the holding areas?

Edited by Sharil Abdul Rahman