MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

Main terminal hitch to blame

MALAYSIA Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) could have accelerated the remaining works at the low-cost terminal building (klia2) in Sepang, if the main terminal had been completed on time.

A company official, who declined to be named, said KLIA2 could have been opened on June 28 2013.
"Had the terminal been ready, MAHB and the other contractors would have accelerated work on the remaining packages to complete on time. This means klia2 could have been opened last month," the official told Business Times.
MAHB had awarded 53 work packages for the project since 2010. However, the completion date of the airport missed five deadlines.
UEM-Bina Puri Joint Venture (JV), the main contractor, and MAHB have been pointing fingers at each other for the delay.
To recap, the JV won a RM997.2 million contract in June 2010 to build the main terminal and satellite buildings, a sky bridge and four piers.
MAHB, however, had new requirements for the JV to build a larger terminal with additional check-in counters and a fully automated baggage handling system.
The official said that MAHB had considered the extra cost and time to finish the work.
"The JV was given an extension of time up to June 15 2013, and allowed variation order claims for the additional work," the official said.
MAHB also had imposed liquidated and ascertained damages (LAD) fine on the JV as it did not meet the terms and conditions stated in the contract.
Under the contractual obligation, the JV is supposed to finish constructing the main terminal and satellite buildings, obtain the certificate of completion and compliance (CCC) and operational readiness & airport transfer (ORAT) by June 15 this year.
The JV had said it will complete the project and obtain the CCC and ORAT by April 30 2014. This means klia2 will only open on May 2 next year.
It is understood that the klia2 project is now 93 per cent completed. The control tower and railway tracks for the express rail link, which is linked from the KL Sentral transport hub in Brickfields, are ready.
Besides the main terminal and satellite buildings, contractors are putting up the final touches for runway3, aprons and taxiways.

Abdul Aziz: KLIA2 will take off on time

BATU PAHAT: Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Abdul Aziz Kaprawi has promised to ensure the KLIA2 project is completed on time.

Abdul Aziz, who heads a special committee overseeing the project, said the low-cost carrier terminal’s construction works would be completed by April 30 and operations will begin on May 2, 2014.

“I am personally monitoring the project on a weekly basis to make sure all works meet their schedule.

“The physical infrastructure is 92% completed and the remaining work will be installing equipment, computing system and other issues that are more complex,” he told reporters after launching a blood donation drive in Taman Maju yesterday.

Abdul Aziz, who is Parit Raja MP, said the completion date of the KLIA2 project had to be rescheduled as its facilities were increased to accommodate 40 million passengers a year as opposed to the 20 million passengers according to the initial plan.

He said the additional facilities included building a skybridge, adding a third floor to the terminal and an automated baggage handling system.

He added that the cost of the project also doubled to RM4bil from RM2bil due to the upgraded features.

“It is to ensure the comfort of users and will be a low-cost carrier airport with infrastructure equivalent to KLIA’s standard,” he said.

Abdul Aziz said KLIA2 had received a number of requests for landing rights from premier airlines because of its facilities and lower airport charges.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2013/07/08/Abdul-Aziz-KLIA2-will-take-off-on-time.aspx

Edited by alberttky

Building of KLIA2 is the 'fastest and cheapest' Ram Anand
6:28PM Jul 10, 2013

PARLIAMENT The construction of the KLIA2 terminal is the "cheapest and fastest" if compared to many other international airports, Deputy Transport Minister Abdul Aziz Kaprawi said today.

Abdul Aziz told the Dewan Rakyat that the construction cost of the terminal, despite its delay, came to only RM89 per passenger.

"In Germany, an airport is being constructed at a cost of RM478 per passenger, and has been in construction for the past six-and-a-half years," he said when wrapping up for his ministry on the debate on the motion of thanks for the Royal Address.

Abdul Aziz (right) said the construction of KLIA2 was almost cheaper than the construction of the Changi International Airport in Singapore and the Hong Kong International Airport.

"In all the airports that are being constructed or have been constructed, we are the cheapest and fastest," he said.

However, Tony Pua (DAP-Petaling Jaya Utara) questioned the deputy minister's argument, since KLIA2 was a low-cost terminal and as such could not be compared with international full service airports.

"The old Low-Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) cost RM232 million and accommodates 15 million passengers. So, why are we spending RM4 billion to build an airport to accommodate 45 million passengers?" Pua asked.

However, Abdul Aziz said the current growth of the airline industry meant that an airport cannot strictly be separated as a low-cost terminal compared to full service airports.

He said that many facilities in KLIA2 have been upgraded to accommodate the main user of the airport, AirAsia.

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/235318

pigs-fly-mike-mcglothlen.jpg

Dear KK Lee, your picture insulting Muslims. Please respect others like how you want to be respected. Maybe too excited with your political view. Typical!

Edited by haza

Does it?

The phrase "when pigs fly" is an adynaton—a figure of speech so hyperbolic that it describes an impossibility. The implication of such a phrase is that the circumstances in question (the adynaton, and the circumstances to which the adynaton are being applied) will never occur.

When pigs fly is an informal way to joke that you will never do something. Example: "Do you think you will ever work at that company again?" Reply: "When pigs fly!"

Pigs are heavy animals that stay close to the ground and do not fly, so when pigs fly is a time that will never come. Example: "Do you think your brother will be successful?" Reply: "When pigs fly he will."

When pigs fly is a time that will never come because pigs will never fly. Example: "Will you ever take her on a date?" Reply: "Sure: When pigs fly!"

Dear KK Lee, your picture insulting Muslims. Please respect others like how you want to be respected. Maybe too excited with your political view. Typical!

Really? I am a Muslim and I do not feel insulted at all.

I understand the phrase "pigs fly" as explained by Azizul. I even use it to describe an impossibility.

KLIA2 costs doubled due to AirAsia demands, Parliament told

The increase in the construction cost of low-cost carrier terminal KLIA2 from RM2 billion to RM4 billion was mainly due to the fulfilment of requests made by AirAsia, the Dewan Rakyat was told yesterday.

Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Abdul Aziz Kaprawi said AirAsia, as the biggest operator at KLIA2, had among others, asked for more floor space and infrastructure, including extending and expanding the runway, more arrival and departure gates, an automatic baggage handling system and a premium airport lounge.

The airline also wanted its Tune Hotel and headquarters sited at the facility, he said.

"We entertained many requests by AirAsia - which I see as a golden child - to raise the specifications (at KLIA2) and this contributed to the higher cost.

"The requests by AirAsia had to be considered in view of new developments apart from the rapid expansion of the national airline industry," he said when winding up debate on the Royal address.

Abdul Aziz said the runway extension involved lengthening the runway from 2.5km to 4.4km and widening it to 2.2km to cater to bigger jets like the Airbus A380.

Floor space was expanded from 150,000 square metres to 250,000 sq m and the number of gates was increased from 55 to 68, he said, adding that the upgrading was to cater for an increased capacity of 45 million passengers annually.

The response from the deputy minister got Kinabatangan MP Bung Mokhtar Radin riled up and he demanded to know what was so special about AirAsia that its requests needed to be entertained.

Abdul Aziz replied that the requests were met based on commercial logic that the airline's views be given due consideration as it is the biggest tenant.

He also said the cost was still considered low compared with that of other countries as it costs only RM89 per passenger whereas in Germany it was RM478 per passenger for the same capacity.

"The Hong Kong International Airport costs RM2,143 (per passenger) and Singapore's Changi Airport, RM2,906 (per passenger). So in many ways, the KLIA2 is among the cheapest and fastest to be constructed," he said.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/klia2-costs-doubled-due-to-airasia-demands-parliament-told/

Abdul Aziz said the runway extension involved lengthening the runway from 2.5km to 4.4km and widening it to 2.2km to cater to bigger jets like the Airbus A380.

Can someone please tell me which runway in the world is 2.2km wide???

Does it?

The phrase "when pigs fly" is an adynaton—a figure of speech so hyperbolic that it describes an impossibility. The implication of such a phrase is that the circumstances in question (the adynaton, and the circumstances to which the adynaton are being applied) will never occur.

When pigs fly is an informal way to joke that you will never do something. Example: "Do you think you will ever work at that company again?" Reply: "When pigs fly!"

Pigs are heavy animals that stay close to the ground and do not fly, so when pigs fly is a time that will never come. Example: "Do you think your brother will be successful?" Reply: "When pigs fly he will."

When pigs fly is a time that will never come because pigs will never fly. Example: "Will you ever take her on a date?" Reply: "Sure: When pigs fly!"

Really? I am a Muslim and I do not feel insulted at all.

I understand the phrase "pigs fly" as explained by Azizul. I even use it to describe an impossibility.

Concur with Azri and MAR. It is just a figure of speech. Nothing insulting

Thanks Bros.

Speak for yourself. Why is it insulting?

Indeed everybody knows what pigs fly is. But no correlation between the article and that massive insulting picture!

Edited by haza

Indeed everybody knows what pigs fly is. But no correlation between the article and that massive insulting picture!

Insulting? Please don't make a mockery of your good self. Give yourself a bit of respect before earning others' :)

KLIA2 costs doubled due to AirAsia demands, Parliament told

The increase in the construction cost of low-cost carrier terminal KLIA2 from RM2 billion to RM4 billion was mainly due to the fulfilment of requests made by AirAsia, the Dewan Rakyat was told yesterday.

Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Abdul Aziz Kaprawi said AirAsia, as the biggest operator at KLIA2, had among others, asked for more floor space and infrastructure, including extending and expanding the runway, more arrival and departure gates, an automatic baggage handling system and a premium airport lounge.

The airline also wanted its Tune Hotel and headquarters sited at the facility, he said.

"We entertained many requests by AirAsia - which I see as a golden child - to raise the specifications (at KLIA2) and this contributed to the higher cost.

"The requests by AirAsia had to be considered in view of new developments apart from the rapid expansion of the national airline industry," he said when winding up debate on the Royal address.

Floor space was expanded from 150,000 square metres to 250,000 sq m and the number of gates was increased from 55 to 68, he said, adding that the upgrading was to cater for an increased capacity of 45 million passengers annually.

The response from the deputy minister got Kinabatangan MP Bung Mokhtar Radin riled up and he demanded to know what was so special about AirAsia that its requests needed to be entertained.

Abdul Aziz replied that the requests were met based on commercial logic that the airline's views be given due consideration as it is the biggest tenant.

He also said the cost was still considered low compared with that of other countries as it costs only RM89 per passenger whereas in Germany it was RM478 per passenger for the same capacity.

"The Hong Kong International Airport costs RM2,143 (per passenger) and Singapore's Changi Airport, RM2,906 (per passenger). So in many ways, the KLIA2 is among the cheapest and fastest to be constructed," he said.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/klia2-costs-doubled-due-to-airasia-demands-parliament-told/

Looks like they wanna have simultaneous A380 ops on a single very wide runway, a first in the world :crazy:

Maybe in anticipation of Air Asia's continued exponential growth, said airline can park her planes overnight at both sides of runway when apron is full ?

Double park also can :lol:

I heard before they had intention to turn KLIA into a space hub! So maybe in anticipation one day they may have space ships landing in KLIA....... :nea:

Edited by ChrisJong

"Pigs can fly" is a popular idiom, pls do not drag religion in. I think the pic sums flying pigs well, and I'm as kosher as the next muslim. :D

Haza, what is your problem bro?

I am not insulted at all.. In fact, I found that pic hilarious.

Let's make Malaysia a more tolerant place instead of a Nazi racist dictatorship

Bro, let's sleeping dogs lie lah ... OOPPPSSS!

2004_let_sleeping_dogs_lie.jpg

---

Meanwhile KLIA2 has become a hybrid airport, and wtf is that?

http://www.mysinchew.com/node/88676

KLIA2 first hybrid airport with total passenger segregation

2013-07-12 13:44

PETALING JAYA, July 12 (Bernama) -- The KLIA2 will no longer be a low cost terminal, but Malaysia's first hybrid airport with upgraded business class services, alongside total international passenger segregation, said Deputy Minister of Transport, Datuk Ab.Aziz Kaprawi.

The upgraded business class services at the under construction airport, is as per the request of Air Asia.

"KLIA2 has an inbuilt segregation of arriving and departing international passengers and from two storeys, the building has become three, contributing to the increase in construction cost to RM4 billion.

"The segregation is also to strengthen safety and address the human trafficking issue," said Aziz.

Edited by Naim

Haza, what is your problem bro?

I am not insulted at all.. In fact, I found that pic hilarious.

Let's make Malaysia a more tolerant place instead of a Nazi racist dictatorship

Although I'm quite aware of some religions prohibiting the consumption of pork, I'm hard-pressed to think of a religion that forbids pictures of pigs ...that too fictional pigs with wings...