MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

Really hope there would not be major issues when the terminal is operational. I think we can expect slight hiccups here & there with a project of this size. I can't wait to experience this new terminal. Cannot stand the current 'tin can', with overcrowding, inefficient air-conditioning & so forth....

I'm also curious to know how planes will take-off & land? Current mode is mostly take-off 32R & landing 32L. With the new 32L, will that change? So 32L/14R will become 32C/14C?

I think someone posted earlier that the new runway will be 15 / 33.

Looks like KLIA 1 aircraft will still be using the old 32L for landing / 32R for departure. As such I predict LCCT 2 aircraft will still use 32L for landing and 33 for departure.

MAHB expected to delay opening of new LCCT

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) is expected to announce a new date for the opening of klia2, the new low-cost carrier terminal, today, said RHB Research Institute Sdn Bhd.

RHB Research and a few other research houses believe that klia2 may not be able to start operations by the June 28 target.

RHB Research said the completion of the new airport will be delayed, while CIMB Research said MAHB needs to run tests and checks before the commissioning of the airport.

However, MAHB maintains that the new RM4 billion LCCT will be completed on time and within specifications.

The airport operator is now in discussions with the contractors on the progress and quality of klia2, a person who has direct knowledge on the matter told Business Times recently.

Speaking on condition of anonimity, he said: "It is important to know that they (MAHB) do not rush the job because safety and quality of an airport has always been a priority for them all this while.

"More importantly, they have to make sure that potential major setbacks are taken care of before klia2 start operations," he added.

Earlier, MAHB chairman Tan Sri Dr Wan Abdul Aziz Wan Abdullah, after a shareholders meeting, said that the construction works on klia2 was 82 per cent completed and was on track to begin operations on June 28.

He added that there will be no cost overruns from the budgeted RM4 billion.

However, RHB Research questioned the duration of the delay and if there will be cost overruns.

"Compared against a scenario with the klia2 being operational on the first day of the financial year 2013, the delay would reduce our revenue forecast by four per cent in financial year 2013 and 2014 due to lower rental and passenger spend," it said.

CIMB Research, meanwhile, estimated that any delay would result in higher construction cost of around RM4.5 billion for the airport and lower commercial earnings for the airport operator.

"Even if the physical structure of the terminal is close to completion, there are still many operational issues and safety requirements to comply with prior to the opening of klia2," it said.

RHB Research has maintained its "buy" call on MAHB with a fair value of RM7.23.

The firm expects MAHB's earnings for the first quarter of its year ending December 31 2013 to be within expectations with a net profit of RM95 million on RM730 million revenue.

The airport operator's bottomline could be lower due to the higher user fee incurred, but its
revenue is projected to rise on the back of higher passenger volume, which is up eight per cent year-on-year, and passenger spending.

Yesterday, its share price rose four sen to RM5.89.

Source: Business Times

A lot of us saw this coming. Seems like we should run for office than those blokes.

I think someone posted earlier that the new runway will be 15 / 33.

Looks like KLIA 1 aircraft will still be using the old 32L for landing / 32R for departure. As such I predict LCCT 2 aircraft will still use 32L for landing and 33 for departure.

The lack of high speed exit at 32L to KLIA2 baffles me..

Maybe its because they predict the aircraft wont be needing it after the long distance from 1000ft marker?

A lot of us saw this coming. Seems like we should run for office than those blokes.

Yes, most of us have predicted this but we are not too happy that we are right.

It is good that D7 (who just took delivery of 9M-XXI) are looking to operate out of Bangkok as well. MAHB has screwed them the most (due to lack of parking facilities at LCCT). KLIA2 is now more than 2 years late.

MAHB has screwed them the most (due to lack of parking facilities at LCCT). KLIA2 is now more than 2 years late.

I'm baffled why Tan Sri has not uttered anything yet - under normal circumstances the roof would have been raised and blown off already by now :D

But then admittedly, these few months can hardly be considered normal in Malaysia :)

Yes, most of us have predicted this but we are not too happy that we are right.

It is good that D7 (who just took delivery of 9M-XXI) are looking to operate out of Bangkok as well. MAHB has screwed them the most (due to lack of parking facilities at LCCT). KLIA2 is now more than 2 years late.

To a certain extent, AK as well. Due to the extreme lack of space, taxiways around LCCT are closed at night for them to park their birds. Landed at 2am last week at LCCT and I initially thought something was wrong when the captain gave the command to disarm all doors in the middle of the taxiway!

Maybe its because they predict the aircraft wont be needing it after the long distance from 1000ft marker?

True to some extent, but anything to expedite the aircraft vacating the runway should be implemented, no? As this in turn will improve the efficiency

There has been no announcement from MAHB on this issue

So, maybe the analysts got it all wrong after all ? :)

Maybe they'll make the announcement a few hours before the opening, Doha style :acute:

dont think they will announce it earlier... most probably after the GE on the 6th i think... somehow it will be insignificant :D

have always maintained that its impossible for KLIA2 to open end June - and at most will be few months down the road to October at the earliest if at all possible - but best bet is year end December.

MALAYSIA Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) said some of the contractors for the new low-cost carrier terminal, klia2, are behind schedule, just a day after two research houses claimed that completion of the mammoth project could be delayed.

The airport operator, which announced its quarterly results in a statement yesterday, did not mention a new date for the opening of klia2 as speculated earlier.

Instead, MAHB said it will monitor the progress and meet the contractors and representatives of airlines and agencies soon to determine their readiness towards the targeted completion date of June 28 2013.

It said the contractors have "reaffirmed their commitment to work towards the targeted completion date".

"MAHB wishes to reiterate that all stakeholders must be ready without compromising safety, quality and operational efficiency in completing klia2," it said.

The main contractors for the klia2 project is UEM Construction Sdn Bhd, a unit of UEM Group, and joint-venture partner, Bina Puri Holdings Bhd.

A week ago, CIMB Research estimated that any delay will result in higher construction cost of around RM4.5 billion for the airport and lower commercial earnings for the airport operator.

This week, RHB Research Institute Sdn Bhd said MAHB could announce a new date for the opening of klia2 when it releases its first quarter results.

On its financial results, MAHB's net profit rose to RM126.1 million in the first quarter ended March 31 2013 from RM102.7 in the corresponding quarter last year. Its revenue increased to RM1.03 billion from RM657.7 million a year ago.

MAHB said its profit and revenue were given a boost by the construction revenue and profit of klia2 and the expansion of Penang International Airport.

It added that the increase in revenue is also due to stronger results from the airport operations segment, driven by buoyant air travel demand.

RHB Research Institute analyst Ahmad Maghfur Usman said the result is generally within expectations although the numbers are a bit higher than expected.

"Moving forward, the airport operator will post a generally strong result for its second quarter, although the period is typically not a holiday season.

"But, with the entry of the new airline, Malindo Air, it could help MAHB to post stronger results in the second quarter," he said yesterday.

Passenger growth rose 8.7 per cent in the first quarter this year with a total of 17.4 million passengers passing through MAHB's 39 airports in Malaysia.

"The international and domestic passenger movements saw a positive growth at 12.2 per cent and 5.4 per cent respectively.

Total passenger movements at Kuala Lumpur International Air-port (KLIA) saw a robust growth of 11.1 per cent.

Both KLIA and the current low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) registered growth of 15.3 per cent and 6.7 per cent, respectively.

"This year is expected to be a better year for MAHB in terms of overall passenger traffic performance. Many of the airline routes and capacity cuts over the last year have been reinstated and replaced by both local and foreign carriers.

"The entry of new airlines such as Malindo Air, Air France, Turkish Airlines, as well as Malaysia Airlines' entry as a full member of the oneworld alliance on February 1 bode well for the Malaysian aviation industry," MAHB said.

Read more: 'klia2 opening behind schedule' http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/BBMAHB/Article/

I'm just dying to read the new AIP / AIC on the new taxi procedures after landing...

Vacate C6 , left C all the way till the end then make left cross runway 32L/14R to KLIA2 I suppose hahaha

"Asian Express 1573 Vacate right at Charlie 6, contact Lumpur Ground 121.8."

"Vacate right at Charlie 6, contact Lumpur Ground 121.8, Asian Express 1573."

"Lumpur Ground, Asian Express 1573."

"Asian Express 1573, Lumpur Ground, taxi via Taxiway Charlie to Charlie 1, holding point Runway 32L. Contact Lumpur Tower on 118.5."

"Taxi via Taxiway Charlie to Charlie 1, holding point Runway 32L, contact Lumpur Tower 118.5, Asian Express 1573."

"Lumpur Tower, Asian Express 1573 at Charline 1, request cross Runway 32L."

"Asian Express 1573, Lumpur Tower, Hold position."

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

"Asian Express 1573, cross Runway 32L at Charlie 1."

"Cross Runway 32L at Charlie 1, Asian Express 1573."

"Asian Express 1573 contact Lumpur Ground on (frequency)."

"Contact Lumpur Ground on (frequency), Asian Express 1573."

"Lumpur Ground, Asian Express 1573."

"Asian Express 1573, Lumpur Ground, taxi to Stand XXX via taxiway YYY."

"Taxi to Stand XXX via taxiway YYY, Asian Express 1573."

Edited by alberttky

A little correction, you don't call ground after vacating at C6. Instruction to change over is normally given once the aircraft is on taxiway G or H. So after vacating the runway you will be on tower frequency until after you have crossed the runway from C1 and then only change to Ground frequency. A little less complicated in real life I would think.

Edited by Ahmad M

Thanks for the info Ahmad. I've not flown into WMKK myself so the scenario was purely based on assumptions. I surely hope it is a little less complicated in real life as you said. The only way to find out is to wait and see what eventually pans out.