MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

About this skybridge, I bet not even every premium airlines will use the skybridge. I've been to Kunming on MH, and they are not using skybridge, compared to MI and TG.

JQ is also not using skybridge when I took my flight from MEL to SIN early this week. I wonder if there was any problem since they use skybridge for flight CHC to MEL.

I presume you were departing MEL via gates 13, 15, 18 or 20? MEL is space restricted at the moment, some JQ, DJ and even QF flights have to use a stand alone bay to board their passengers at peak times. JQ generally uses Aerobridges on all flights, they use them everywhere, where possible. It's a bonus for having a LCC in the QF Group.

I presume you were departing MEL via gates 13, 15, 18 or 20? MEL is space restricted at the moment, some JQ, DJ and even QF flights have to use a stand alone bay to board their passengers at peak times. JQ generally uses Aerobridges on all flights, they use them everywhere, where possible. It's a bonus for having a LCC in the QF Group.

I can't really remember the gate no. But the aerobridge was there and not used.

Actually just next door, but traveling requires going around the airport. Too bad walking not an option.

Govt to wait for MAHB’s decision on KLIA2 aerobridge

PUTRAJAYA: Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) should decide on the aerobridge debacle and get back to the Government with a decision.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha said the Government was still waiting for the MAHB board of directors to decide on whether to install aerobridges in the new low-cost carrier terminal, or KLIA2, at the KL International Airport in Sepang.

He added that he empathised with the plight of the disabled in pushing for the aerobridges.

“(The disabled) are not the only ones. Senior citizens, young children and pregnant women also face difficulty in climbing the steps to get into the aircraft,” he said at his ministry's Hari Raya open house here.

Kong added that the Malaysian Tour and Travel Agents (MATTA) were also in favour of the aerobridges.

MAHB has decided not to install aerobridges in KLIA2 after considering budget carrier AirAsia's decision not to use them, citing cost factors.

Despite that, MAHB said the new terminal would be built to accommodate the installation of aerobridges should it be required in the future.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/9/22/nation/9548430&sec=nation

This is bad publicity for MAHB. Perhaps they can install 2 or 3 aerobridges at the gates close to the arrival and departure halls to accommodate old, pregnant and other disabled pax. If AK does not want to use them, its fine. But if other LCCs serving KLIA2 wish to use them, it would be a selling point for them. This may, in turn, make AK reconsider their decision on using aerobridges.

point to point on the road - it is 11KM. its a bit more further actually.

If its only a bit further, wont an underground train like MRT be great. only one KM.

The skybridge is a physical structure connecting terminals/buildings, the one you mention is an aerobridge/jetway/passenger loading bridge.

Pardon my ignorance, but both sound similar to me :p

(After a few searches) Now I get it. Skybridge is the one between KL Twin Towers. Aerobridge is the one you find in the airport.

Edited by Johan Z

..... wont an underground train like MRT be great. only one KM.

Probably the train operator may want to forcibly acquire land above for commercial development to help fund the tunnelling/construction costs ? :p Not too feasible though if line runs under a runway somewhere :lol:

Just weighing in on the aerobridge issue:

Flew AK once last month. Have to walk a long way to the aircraft at LCCT. When I got there, there is a queue on the staircase because of "random boarding", i.e., people in the front seats blocking the aisle before sitting down.

Then in London City, I also had to walk to the aircraft, but the boarding procedure according to row numbers was quite strict and they didn't let you leave the building until they can see that the queue outside the plane was short enough (also for safety reasons). The plane was right in front of the terminal though.

4 flights between ZRH-MUC in the past few weeks. All boarding by bus. What a mess- long queues as the aisle was blocked. One flight was delayed by almost 10 minutes because of this with passengers first blocking the aisle and then walking up and down looking for somehwere to stow their luggage.

From my point of view, when pax have to walk to the aircraft, there is less opportunity to board by row numbers, hence it will add maybe up to 5 or 10 minutes to the boarding time. So, how is it that no aerobridge = less turnaround time?

From my point of view, when pax have to walk to the aircraft, there is less opportunity to board by row numbers, hence it will add maybe up to 5 or 10 minutes to the boarding time. So, how is it that no aerobridge = less turnaround time?

On a recent trip to Surabaya, a bunch of us inadvertently followed the crowd to Bandung (with no ground staff to lead us), whose plane was on the other side of the building. End-result, our flight departed 20min late, no thanks to the lost tribe. On another occasion, plane landed early but as it was taxiing to park, the whole place was lashed by thunderstorm. We were stuck inside the plane for >30min -- 10min early became 20min late. This no aerobridge argument is getting crappier.

..... On another occasion, plane landed early but as it was taxiing to park, the whole place was lashed by thunderstorm. We were stuck inside the plane for >30min -- 10min early became 20min late. This no aerobridge argument is getting crappier.

Count your lucky stars they delayed your deboarding (possibly due to compassion ?) on that occasion

We got into BKI's T2 late last year and the sky decided to just open up there and then - sort of like mother nature imposing murphy's law

And AK's reply ? No delays please - got a tight schedule to keep, everyone off - kiddos, the elderlies included

How you deal with the gusts of wind playing games with the umbrella furnished (yes, we were grateful umbrellas were provided, thoughtful gesture), slippery staircases and other hazards, AK was NOT interested in the finer details. It was like YOU chose to travel cheap, deal with it :(

So yes, the no aerobridge argument is getting crappier, if it can get even any crappier than all the 'insult to one's intelligence' crap that has been spewed out thus far :)

Count your lucky stars they delayed your deboarding (possibly due to compassion ?) on that occasion

We got into BKI's T2 late last year and the sky decided to just open up there and then - sort of like mother nature imposing murphy's law

And AK's reply ? No delays please - got a tight schedule to keep, everyone off - kiddos, the elderlies included

How you deal with the gusts of wind playing games with the umbrella furnished (yes, we were grateful umbrellas were provided, thoughtful gesture), slippery staircases and other hazards, AK was NOT interested in the finer details. It was like YOU chose to travel cheap, deal with it :(

I think my thunderstorm was badder than yours. :D

They couldn't open the door and the wind was so ferocious, the whole fuselage shook!

I think my thunderstorm was badder than yours. :D

They couldn't open the door and the wind was so ferocious, the whole fuselage shook!

Point taken :D

My crappy assertions stay though :D

They couldn't open the door .....

Apologies for time lapse, but I think I get it now :D

Edited by BC Tam

How did the folks at the old Subang terminal 3 manage back then without aerobridges?

The big difference is that we had at least 45 minutes of ground time between flights. But sometimes due to heavy rain and such, we had to wait.

How did the folks at the old Subang terminal 3 manage back then without aerobridges?

From a pharmaceutical perspective, I guess a possible anology could be the old folks making do with what medications that were available back then. They did the job (of controlling whichever ailment it was intended for) but side effects were plenty and in some instances, quite unpleasant. But did they have an alternative ? No (by and large)

So called 'latest generation' medications nowadays pack much more oomph with advantage of lesser nasty surprises - but the cost is of course higher compared to the old versions. Do they have an alternative ? Yes

:pardon:

Edited by BC Tam

KUB shares jump on MAHB deal

KUB MALAYSIA Bhd's share price surged more than 12 per cent after the company won a contract from Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB).

KUB told Bursa Malaysia that it landed a RM268.79 million contract from MAHB for a runway job at the new low-cost terminal, KL International Airport 2 (KLIA2) in Sepang.

KUB shares surged to an intraday high of 64 sen a share, before ending the trading day 6.5 sen higher at 61.5 sen a share.

KUB's unit, KUB Builders, yesterday accepted the contract build a new 3.96km third runway, its parallel and connecting taxiways, and other associated works at KLIA2.

"We won the contract after a tight contest from several competitors. Though it is a challenge for us, our goal is to complete the whole project within its timeline and at the same time to get the job done well in all aspects," group managing director Datuk Mohd Nazar Samad was cited in a Bernama report yesterday.

"We are very delighted to be a part of making Kuala Lumpur an aviation hub as it will be the biggest low-cost hub in the region. We fully support the government's agenda on boosting Malaysia's tourism sector which will significantly contribute to the country's economy," he added.

According to the stock exchange statement, the project is expected to take 16 months to complete and will further consolidate KUB's business in the property, engineering and construction sector of operations.

It will also strengthen its market presence and continue to diversify its portfolio as well as ability to seek out similar projects in the future, it said.

KUB Builders is Malaysia's premier Class A Industrialised Building System (IBS) and a Bumiputera contractor with its own in-house precast component manufacturing facilities for buildings and infrastructure.

Read more: KUB shares jump on MAHB deal http://www.btimes.com.my/articles/kub11/Article/#ixzz1aXi0XcaQ

Group wants aerobridges at KLIA 2

PETALING JAYA: A group of disabled persons has insisted that the aerobridges were essential at the new KL International Airport 2 (KLIA 2).

About 150 of them gathered at the Taman Jaya Park to make known their stand that the aerobridges were essential for safe boarding and disembarkation of passengers with special needs.

Last month, the Cabinet deferred its decision on the installation of aerobridges at KLIA 2 pending further studies on the matter.

Group spokesman V. Muruges­waran said the long walking distance and ramps leading to the planes were difficult to use and unsafe during bad weather, especially for children, pregnant women and the el-derly.

“We are willing to pay if there is an additional charge for the aerobridges. What we are angry about is that MAHB (Malaysia Airports Hol­dings Bhd) is not even offering the option.

“As an international airport, KLIA 2 surely must have international standard facilities,” said Muruges­waran, who is the president of the Selangor and Federal Territory Da­­mai Handicapped Association.

Beauty consultant Cheong Li Wem, 27, said in line with budget airlines’ “pay for what you use” approach, there should be an option on the use of aerobridges.

“While able-bodied people should be given the option to board with or without an aerobridge, this facility should be made available to the disabled,” she said.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/10/24/nation/9758746&sec=nation

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on which side of the disability divide you are in), the number of disabled pax on each flight is so small that it would be logistically difficult for LCCs like AirAsia to give that option! The best they could do is opt for the ambulift - I saw that in action on my recent AirAsia X flight to Haneda.

I would think that most disabled travellers should travel by MH or other full service carriers, where they will be very well taken care of.