MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

Are we talking about USD $2 bil or MYR 2 bil.? It seems like a lot of money for an LCCT. A sneak peek at our neighbour and Australia's jetstar terminals, they are nothing more than factory like tin sheds, in fact they are like warehouse outlets stores like DFO in Australia or Dressmart in NZ.

Perhaps it is the airline that does not want to use the aerobridges, rather than the airport authority or the architect's failure to provide them? Provision of aerobridges are going to cost somebody, ultimately the end users might be the ones to bear the cost.

Are we talking about USD $2 bil or MYR 2 bil.? It seems like a lot of money for an LCCT. A sneak peek at our neighbour and Australia's jetstar terminals, they are nothing more than factory like tin sheds, in fact they are like warehouse outlets stores like DFO in Australia or Dressmart in NZ.

Yup, Malaysia's LCCT is one of the more luxurious ones.. Got free Wifi somemore. I used to use Jetstar's terminal in Avalon and Tiger's terminal in Melbourne Airport.. Oh dear..They were really unacceptable by Malaysian's standard. But they get the job done, that's it.

Perhaps it is the airline that does not want to use the aerobridges, rather than the airport authority or the architect's failure to provide them? Provision of aerobridges are going to cost somebody, ultimately the end users might be the ones to bear the cost.

KLIA i.e. MTB, satellite terminal, runways, etc was built for RM 9 billion in 1998. Even after adjusted for inflation, RM2 billion for a LCCT, associated apron and taxiway is still a huge number.

Assumed aerobridge cost RM2 million per piece, operation cost is RM200,000 per year, operate 14 hours/day, 2 hour/block, 70% occupancy, 100pax per block. If payback is 5 years will cost less than RM4/pax. Given that, turnaround time for LCC is 25 minute, block time can be 1 hour i.e. cost less than RM2/pax.

Pax pay for airport tax not airline. Hence, MAB can recoup aerobridge cost without difficulty.

:drinks:

Based on earthwork contract awarded $680M :

Say earthwork @ $50/m3 which i think is quite an astronomical rate :spiteful:, that translates into 13,600,000 m3 of earthwork.

Say average thickness = 6m (again :spiteful: )

==> that is an area of approx 3000m x 755m ! (again :spiteful: :db:)

Based on earthwork contract awarded $680M :

Say earthwork @ $50/m3 which i think is quite an astronomical rate :spiteful:, that translates into 13,600,000 m3 of earthwork.

Say average thickness = 6m (again :spiteful: )

==> that is an area of approx 3000m x 755m ! (again :spiteful: :db:)

Indeed "somebody" is going to make a lot of money!

They are also for the state of the art and landmark LCCT terminal, it seems.

Talking about airbridges...is this a deliberate ploy to make it inadequate, so that in the future, there is another chance to supply airbridges or whatever that were left-out?

Sort of like the Chinese saying of "peeling the layer of skin twice"...so, the same people gets one more chance to enrich themselves?

Aren't infrastructure projects like this subject to open bidding with the final balloting publicized/recorded on official docs to ensure transparency?

Aren't infrastructure projects like this subject to open bidding with the final balloting publicized/recorded on official docs to ensure transparency?

What ??! :blink: ;) :p

Indeed "somebody" is going to make a lot of money!

There will be many many many main subcontractors to this project, far more than usual :finger:

Gadang sends in RM300m bid for LCCT runway job

GADANG Holdings Bhd (9261) has submitted a RM300 million bid to construct a 4km long runway for the RM2 billion low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) project in Sepang, Selangor.

Managing director Tan Sri Kok Onn told Business Times that the firm expects to know within the next two weeks if it is successful in the tender.

Kok also said Gadang has submitted a bid to Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) to construct the terminal building at the new LCCT for about RM1 billion.

"We lost out to WCT for the first package but that did not deter us from bidding for the remaining packages.

WCT Bhd clinched the first package, worth around RM363 million, from MAHB in December last year for works that include site preparation, earthworks and main drainage.

"While the bids have become very competitive, we hope to get a slice of the cake based on our track record," Kok said.

The new LCCT, located 1.5km from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, is scheduled to be completed by third quarter of 2011.

It is expected to cater to 30 million passengers yearly, with capacity for up to 45 million passengers a year.

The LCCT is the single largest private finance initiative building project under the infrastructure allocation of the second stimulus package.

Other companies which have submitted bids for the project are IJM Corp Bhd, Ireka Corp Bhd, Fajarbaru Builder Group Bhd, Bina Puri Holdings Bhd, Sunway Holdings Bhd and Mudajaya Group Bhd.

PJI Holdings Bhd, meanwhile is keen to provide mechanical and electrical engineering services for RM500 million.

Source: http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/Gadang4/Article/

What ??! :blink: ;) :p

Exactly! There are a few kind of tenders actually, the one Denny mentioned sounded like an open tender method.

I should make a note that even in high transparency countries like Australia and NZ, big infrastructural projects may not be tendered by "open tenders" (where everyone can apply). The airport authority may have a list of preferred contractors and they may have undergone "invited tender" method. Airport authorities are just another profit making organisation and it is not compulsory for them to take up the open tender option. They can argue that they are using the invited tender method where they invite contractors based on previous project track record. The client, Malaysia Airports, is the party to decide which tenderer they will award the project to. It doesn't mean they are obliged to go with the cheapest tender (as work quality/ material could be an issue).

As for transparency of construction projects in Malaysia.... we should know by now it is often left to be "determined" (quite tempted to use the word "inflated" or "doctored") by the well connected bunch. <_ ultimately the malaysian people will be content with budget.>

Edited by S V Choong

don't expect too good for this new LCCT i think.....

since it is LOW COST, it could be larger than the KLIA..but i dont think it is grander.......

Hey guys, when i went to the MTB last friday for a day trip down to SIN (for work mind you), i noticed that the KLIA diorama has been changed.

KLIA1.gif

klia2.gif

From that BIG complex we saw last time, its now a Y-shape complex?

With a mirror 14/32L/R set up.

Less ambitious than the last time i must say.

Here's my badly done artist impression on how will the whole thing look like from above.

SO, it seems jalan pekeliling will be no more.

Unless they will make a new one.

1. i dont see the viability of having Aerotrain from Sat-1 to Lcct

2. the rwy naming can also be 14/32R/L and 15/33L/R since got 4 parallel rwy

1. i dont see the viability of having Aerotrain from Sat-1 to Lcct

2. the rwy naming can also be 14/32R/L and 15/33L/R since got 4 parallel rwy

1. The thing is, i saw them building the aerotrain track leading into a hole in the ground at X. So i may be wrong but isnt that is indicative of an aerotrain from sat to LCCT?

2. That works too.

I have always wondered how does airport number thier runway - by the angle to the pole? random number generator?

1. The thing is, i saw them building the aerotrain track leading into a hole in the ground at X. So i may be wrong but isnt that is indicative of an aerotrain from sat to LCCT?

2. That works too.

I have always wondered how does airport number their runway - by the angle to the pole? random number generator?

1. They are building a maintenance depot for the aerotrain so that if one of the train becomes unserviceable, the track itself is still available.

2. Magnetic direction.

1. They are building a maintenance depot for the aerotrain so that if one of the train becomes unserviceable, the track itself is still available.

It is fascinate to learn, the original designer and architect didn’t consider the need of maintenance of the aerotrain.

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

Gadang gets work on new LCCT

Gadang beat seven companies, including WCT and Sunway, for the job to build a runway and taxiways for the RM2 billion new low-cost carrier terminal in Sepang

Construction company Gadang Holdings Bhd (9261) has won a RM291 million contract to build a runway and taxiways for the RM2 billion new low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) at the KL International Airport (KLIA) in Sepang, Selangor.

The contract includes site preparation, earthworks and main drainage for the 4km Runway 3.

Gadang beat seven companies, including WCT Bhd and Sunway Holdings Bhd, for the job.

It told Bursa Malaysia yesterday that it would start work next month and complete it by December.

Gadang expects the contract to contribute positively to its earnings and net assets in financial years ending May 31 2010 and 2011.

"This is a fast-track contract. We are proud to win it after losing out on an earlier bid," Gadang managing director Tan Sri Kok Onn told Business Times.

It is the second contract awarded by Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) under the RM2 billion project.

Last month, the airport operator awarded WCT a RM363 million contract for works that include site preparation, earthworks and main drainage.

A third contract to build the main terminal building is in the tender stage.

Kok said Gadang was working to submit a bid for the third contract, worth some RM1.2 billion. The job involves design, construction, testing, commissioning and maintaining the main terminal building,skybridge and piers.

The new LCCT is the single largest private finance initiative building project under the infrastructure allocation of the second stimulus package.

Other companies which submitted bids for various packages were IJM Corp Bhd, Ireka Corp Bhd, Fajarbaru Builder Group Bhd, Bina Puri Holdings Bhd and Mudajaya Group Bhd.

PJI Holdings Bhd plans to provide mechanical and electrical engineering services for RM500 million.

The new LCCT will be 1.5km away from KLIA's main terminal compared with 20km for the existing LCCT.

It will be linked to KLIA's main terminal building via the Express Rail Link.

The new LCCT, scheduled to be completed by the third quarter of next year, will cater for 30 million passengers a year, with potential to expand capacity to handle 45 million passengers.

Source: http://www.btimes.com.my/articles/GADANG12-2/Article/

Gadang gets work on new LCCT

A third contract to build the main terminal building is in the tender stage.

Kok said Gadang was working to submit a bid for the third contract, worth some RM1.2 billion. The job involves design, construction, testing, commissioning and maintaining the main terminal building,skybridge and piers.

Source: http://www.btimes.com.my/articles/GADANG12-2/Article/

What does it mean by maintaining the main terminal ? Operate on behalf of MAHB ? Or is it a BOT contract (build, operate & transfer) ?

Skybridge = aerobridge ? :good:

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

Wow, this one is definitely the most sought after construction project in the country! All top developers in the country are going gaga over it.

What has been awarded so far:

1. December 2009 | WCT | RM 363 million | Contract for site preparation, earthworks and main drainage works.

2. January 2010 | Gadang Holdings Bhd | RM 291 million | Contract for site preparation, earthworks, main drainage and construction of the 4km Runway 3 and taxiways.

Contracts awarded so far = RM 654 million.

Contracts to be awarded = RM 1.346 billion

I wonder what the situation would be like once the new LCCT construction is complete? Will we be able to find somewhere strategic to get our shots? With two parallel runways the prospect of interesting shots (like those that come out of some other similar airports around the world) is quite exciting, isn't it? That is provided the bulis don't spoil the party! :)

Does KLIA really need a 3rd runway now ?

Operations wise, probably not

But root cause of 'need' may possibly be elsewhere, and is a very subjective matter anyway ;)