MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Karlm

Australian International Airshow 2009

nice photos SV! :good: doesn't look like you've got clear blue skies there, but hopefully it didn't rain?

I went on Saturday, 14th March. I stood in the rain for 3 1/2 hours and got my jeans soaked and my shoes covered in mud....but nonetheless worth every moment :)

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

My PowerShot S3 gave me 2 "lens error" messages when I was taking pictures in the rain..I do hope it's OK :p

Nice! IMHO even more exciting than Singapore Air Show last year.

Looks like the offering on saturday is much better than the offering on sunday! :(

Oh my... KC-135 tanker and Galaxy. We had a DC-10 tanker instead. Galaxy was missing on Sunday as well as A380. QF's 744 just took off in front of us, never bother to perform any kind of show :(

Should have gone on saturday instead! Still think Whenuapai was much better in terms of performance.

nice photos SV! :good: doesn't look like you've got clear blue skies there, but hopefully it didn't rain?

It rained on Sunday at 3pm and 5pm... My jacket and pants were completely soaked. It was freezing too!

Looks like the offering on saturday is much better than the offering on sunday! :(

Oh my... KC-135 tanker and Galaxy. We had a DC-10 tanker instead. Galaxy was missing on Sunday as well as A380. QF's 744 just took off in front of us, never bother to perform any kind of show :(

Should have gone on saturday instead! Still think Whenuapai was much better in terms of performance.

It rained on Sunday at 3pm and 5pm... My jacket and pants were completely soaked. It was freezing too!

S V,

Didn't know much about the Sunday display, and I had to fly back to NZ anyway. I think the DC-10 Tanker was there as well, parked way behind the C-5 Galaxy and I think I remember seeing its tail poking out...

The A380 did the same as well, and it did not let anyone in as everyone was soaking wet and covered in mud as it was going to LAX (I believe?) in the afternoon. Saturday was raining 8.30-11.45am as well as intermittent patches in the afternoon. However, the Super Constellation was open to the public, but as I was already soaking wet I just couldn't be bothered going joining the long queue <_<

S V,

Didn't know much about the Sunday display, and I had to fly back to NZ anyway. I think the DC-10 Tanker was there as well, parked way behind the C-5 Galaxy and I think I remember seeing its tail poking out...

The A380 did the same as well, and it did not let anyone in as everyone was soaking wet and covered in mud as it was going to LAX (I believe?) in the afternoon. Saturday was raining 8.30-11.45am as well as intermittent patches in the afternoon. However, the Super Constellation was open to the public, but as I was already soaking wet I just couldn't be bothered going joining the long queue <_<

The A380 was never planned to let the public on board, beacause it was only there for 1.2 the day. It flew out to LHR that night from SYD.

S V,

The A380 did the same as well, and it did not let anyone in as everyone was soaking wet and covered in mud as it was going to LAX (I believe?) in the afternoon. Saturday was raining 8.30-11.45am as well as intermittent patches in the afternoon. However, the Super Constellation was open to the public, but as I was already soaking wet I just couldn't be bothered going joining the long queue <_>

The DC-10 tanker is a private tanker I read from the Avalon 2009 official magazine (which cost $10!). The DC-10 tanker has the title "Omega Tanker" written on it and it was converted from former Japan Airlines DC-10-40 (PW powered).

On the contrary, Qantas did let the public visit the interior of their B747-400ER. There was a huge crowd there waiting to get onboard. I just couldn't be bothered since I have been flying on QF's 747-400 before. No public access were allowed for RNZAF's B757-200 and V Australia's B777-300ER :angry: The L1049 Super Constellation cost $5.00 to enter as part of the charity run.

According to the magazine, the following aircraft are retiring for good from the Avalon 2009 airshow:

1. RAAF's De Havilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou

2. RAAF's F-111C night bomber

For me, I remembered very well the noise of the piston engined DHC-4. I used to hear it during my childhood in Sabah where RMAF's sent their DHC-4 Caribou on a regular basis. It was so noisy compared to the outgoing Fokker F-27 back then.

In my opinion, I enjoyed Whenuapai Airshow in 2007 more than I did in Avalon 2009.

Sign in to follow this