MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

AirAsia X Takes Off From KL To London

I did the D7 flight to Gold Coast (OOL) in March and on standard seats, it is not a very comfortable experience even though I travelled on their new A333s (XXB out and XXA returning to KUL). The seats are narrow and legroom is not quite enough for a medium haul flight. So if you are more than 1.75m tall, do consider paying extra for a better seat or XL seat. I am glad that their A343 is still using the old AC seats and legroom is good too, even for someone who is tall.

I am not sure why you had to pay more than MH for the domestic flight. I have compared fares a number of times and AK is usually cheaper unless you have upsized your luggage a fair bit. Even Firefly costs more than AK sometimes. I guess that on those particular dates, MH might have special fares left...

Some interesting feedback.

I read the trip report by Ryanair!!! and he made reference to the seats although being comfortable, although narrow. Flying XL from PER-KUL. Odds on we'll have -XXA/B as -XAA doesn't seem to be a regular here and -XXC is c/n 1048 so it's still sometime away. Upsized to 20kgs on all sectors and meals.

PEN-KUL opted for the hotseat on this sector, so that might be why it worked out more than MH.

It'll be interesting to see what -XAB is like after it's been reconfigured and hearing people's opinions then.

I'll do a trip report and give my honest opinion of how I find Air Asia.

Looking forward to that :p

The seats are narrow and legroom is not quite enough for a medium haul flight. So if you are more than 1.75m tall, do consider paying extra for a better seat or XL seat.

Eh ? I thought the seat pitch on D7 Rolls-Royce powered 333 is industry standard which is 31" ? No ?

I read the trip report by Ryanair!!! and he made reference to the seats although being comfortable, although narrow.

Read that too. Another great trip report from him. So lucky of him to be put on Air Mauritius operated flight on the way back.

Although the seat pitch is 31", the seat cannot recline and one cannot be comfortable in the upright position. Using the seat's sliding mechanism reduces the legroom. In some ways, the A320's seats are better and I understand that the new A333's to be delivered this year (XXC should be with D7 in Sept 09) will have those seats together with 31" seat pitch.

Odds on we'll have -XXA/B as -XAA doesn't seem to be a regular here and -XXC is c/n 1048 so it's still sometime away. Upsized to 20kgs on all sectors and meals.

XAA is back in service - so the three aircraft are doing the Australia and China routes.

The Malaysian meals provided on the OOL-KUL leg were horrible. There was much chat about that onboard (on the IFE system) and some people actually had tummy discomfort! So it may be better to order western/international meal if the plane is not flying out of LCCT!

XAB will be reconfigured next year and they are looking at lie flat seats for the XL section. Not sure what the other seats will be. My guess is that they will have more comfortable seats than the A333.

Edited by flee

XAB will be reconfigured next year and they are looking at lie flat seats for the XL section. Not sure what the other seats will be. My guess is that they will have more comfortable seats than the A333.

lie-flat ? Wow ! Is that true or just some rumor ?

Was at LCCT this morning. They've put a mock up of the A340 cabin in front of the main entrance for all to try, with both standard and XL seats. Too bad, I did not have a camera with me. :(

From the CEO Azran:

Spot on, dude!

X is about extremes. Blazing new paths. We started doing pre-booked hot meals and assigned seating right from the start, even when it was supposed to be against the low-cost model. Now, big brother has since adopted these services. We’ve also ventured into in-flight entertainment systems (X-CITE!) and XL premium seats, breaking more ‘rules’. (Watch out for XL seats on steroids – we want to introduce full lie-flat beds next year!).

http://blog.airasia.com/index.php/xanadu-c...ne-and-get-your

Was at LCCT this morning. They've put a mock up of the A340 cabin in front of the main entrance for all to try, with both standard and XL seats. Too bad, I did not have a camera with me. :(

From The Star thumbnails a few days ago..

lounge220409.jpg

The timetable changes in July - full details here: http://www.airasia.com/site/my/en/pressRel...f1c670-35a66810

Find D7-2002/2008 near midnight arrival to STN very inconvenient and tiring especially from jetlag :( Guess D7 timed for A340 to serve Aussie city before returning to STN the next afternoon.

Hope the market demand will force D7 to revise STN to a more civilised D7-2006 schedule.

:drinks:

lie-flat ? Wow ! Is that true or just some rumor ?

true, but can confirm no refurbishment until next year. they're still considering the right seat makers who can come up with the right cost they can afford.

true, but can confirm no refurbishment until next year. they're still considering the right seat makers who can come up with the right cost they can afford.

Cool. Wondered if they will keep the current seat pitch of XL seats on the ex-AC 343 which is 60". MAS better get your act soon. Now even a low cost carrier might offer the same Business Class seat as you ... what a shame.

Those "ah-pek" style fold able chair. :lol:

Sign in to follow this