MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Cheng Kit

MAS downgrading from 744 to 772 to Stockholm/New York

Didn't MH operating 772 for KUL-STO-EWR? 744 is used for summer holiday season (Forgive me if the info was inaccurate)

Anybody could confirm this?

My sister flight to KUL from EWR with MH end of April is on 744 still. Which is the beginning of summer obviously. May be this 777 is between now and next month?

I think I read from Airliners that this would start from the 2nd of April.

I'm not sure but when MH changed from 772 to 744 I think they said that they needed the 772 on other routes instead. But could have something to do with Summer/Winter too, dont know about that.

I've flown with both aircraft types on this route but I think that the 772 fits the route best.

Edited by Albin And

syiok...??

even when 777 did 3 times per week it was a 9 days trip for the crew.

I heard jumbo did twice a week...it was 13 days trip.

I had enough of long trip, but i don't mind after so many years that i have not done these sector.

Last i did was August 2007. Wonderful shopping trip i would say to the US.

After a long time on the 777, long trip was no longer a routine since 2003 onwards. Use to enjoy Vienna with Zagreb shuttle, Munich with Manchecter and also Rome with Vienna....interesting pattern we had long time ago on the 777.

Think of the economics, 777 is the best plane for such route when pax and cargo load is around 60% (Stockholm-Newark)

Ah. Booked on this flight for May, pretty sure it was a 747.

A lot of students would be travelling back to Malaysia during this period, and its summer, a holiday period.. I would have thought a 747 would have been justifiable.

According the Dutch Scramble messageboard MAS will change AMS to B772 as well starting in June!

Your right mate..my mate working with KLM..he say the same.start from jun mh going to fly with 777 to amsterdam

Edited by mohd sukri abd hamid

According to airlineroute, KUL-ARN-EWR-ARN-KUL will be back to 744 effective 3 Jun 2009. They probably feel it is necessary as they will be many people travelling between USA and Europe during summer.

Edited by Isaac

I have a few questions regarding swapping MH's B747 and B777 :-

1. Do you consider swapping B747 with B777 a downgrade?

2. Does the older B747 offer better comfort than the newer B777? I keep thinking the economy seats on B747 are rather cramp.

3. MH's load for the destination has been rather full in the past that necesitate the use of a B747?

Definitely a downgrare in terms of capacity. Comfort wise 777 cabin definitely is more spacious looking and GCC has bigger seat pitch on the 772 too.

I just saw at the MH e-timetable and between KUL and ARN there is 3x weekly.

Though between ARN and EWR there is 2x weekly.

Does this mean that the flight that departs on Sundays from KUL at 23:59 and arrives at ARN at 06:00 at Monday doesn't continue to EWR? I couldn't find it on ARN departures on Monday that it continues to EWR either, so it's at ARN and departs on Tuesdays at 13:35?

Edited by Albin And

Certainly a downgrade in terms of capacity, but with better economics and fuel consumption, you could say it's an upgrade too! :p

Certainly a downgrade in terms of capacity, but with better economics and fuel consumption, you could say it's an upgrade too! :p

Just what I was thinking. The new Camry is a bit small but more comfy than the older version. :p

Where will those B744s (freed from EWR / AMS) be deployed ?

It won't be redeployed to another routes, instead it will be parked at KLIA ;) Right now 772ER seems to be a much better fit to MAS business model. Hopefully they will consider buying some 772ER from SIA and eventually phasing out all the 744 because MAS doesn't really need them.

Does that mean if replacing the 744's to 772's there won't be any First Class?

Yes, I always thought the whole reason for downgrading this route is due to the lack of premium flyers.

Edited by Seth K

Does that mean if replacing the 744's to 772's there won't be any First Class?

Yeah. No First Class which is fine as there practically is no market for First Class to the Scandinavia anyway. Even TG is offering only 14 Royal Orchid Seat (TG Business Class) to CPH and ARN respectively everyday on their 744. The rest are Premium Economy and Economy.