MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kenneth Chong WT

Jetstar Booking

Firstly, thousand apologies to the Moderators if this thread doesn't belong here...do move it if it doesn't. Thanks.

Secondly, sorry if the screen capture is not big enough, i'm not very good at this, some advice maybe??

I was just making some dummy bookings on several airlines for KCH-MEL route when somehow I manage to get this...

JETSTARBIG.jpg

KCH all through to MEL...via DRW

Is this called the "Multi-cities" booking on Jetstar?

All I did was to open KCH-SIN vv on 1 page and SIN-MEL vv on another...viola..both bookings appeared on the second page...the grand total was around RM2698.24, not the cheapest I know, but it was interesting that I manage to do a multiple booking like this.

I know Tiger Airways has something known as "Flight Combo", does it work like this as well??

My next question is, will my luggage be forwarded all the way through or I have to clear CIQ and all and re-check-in...any comments???

Thank you in advance...

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

I was thinking the same when I tried MEL - SIN and there is a stopover at Darwin. So it's more advance than point to point.

All I did was to open KCH-SIN vv on 1 page and SIN-MEL vv on another...viola..both bookings appeared on the second page...the grand total was around RM2698.24, not the cheapest I know, but it was interesting that I manage to do a multiple booking like this.

I know Tiger Airways has something known as "Flight Combo", does it work like this as well??

My next question is, will my luggage be forwarded all the way through or I have to clear CIQ and all and re-check-in...any comments???

Thank you in advance...

I tried to do what you did, and couldn't be able to get what you got. did you go all the way to the filling up the names page, and then open a new jetstar page for the second leg? Anyway to answer your luggage/check-in. YES, you still need to get your luggage out in SIN, check in, then in Darwin, take out ur luggage, and recheck-in. It does not matter whether you pay in a single receipt. It is still treated as separate tickets.

Edited by Azri M.

^^ Nope. Jetstar (JQ), Jetstar International (JQ), Qantas (QF), Jetstar Asia (3K) and Valuair (VF) offer flight connections with baggage checked through for International flights and domestic sectors of International flights, including those passing through SIN, as long as they are booked on the same travel itinerary. (same booking reference number)

Jetstar does provide limited baggage connectivity between selected flights (see table below for details)

^^ For baggage to be through checked (transferred) your flights must be in the same booking (ie. Have the same booking reference number).

So for example, on a HKG-SIN-PER flight, both legs are International flights on 3K or JQ or VF or QF code (in this case, 3K and JQ), so bags are checked through if the flights are booked together.

Like-wise, your KCH-SIN-DRW-MEL flight on the same booking itinerary, will have bags checked through as well, because KCH-SIN and SIN-DRW are International flights, and DRW-MEL is a domestic sector of an International flight (operated by Jetstar Intl and not Jetstar).

But for example if you book KCH-SIN-DRW-MEL-CBR, your bags (and your ticket) will only be checked from KCH to MEL. At MEL, you have to leave the air side of the terminal (go through customs), get your bags, check in, and enter air side again.

Oh and this checking through thing doesnt apply to any of Jetstar Pacific (BL)'s flights.

I tried to do what you did, and couldn't be able to get what you got. did you go all the way to the filling up the names page, and then open a new jetstar page for the second leg? Anyway to answer your luggage/check-in. YES, you still need to get your luggage out in SIN, check in, then in Darwin, take out ur luggage, and recheck-in. It does not matter whether you pay in a single receipt. It is still treated as separate tickets.

Let's see if i can get this right...you open 1 tab (tab, not window) and book KCH-SIN and the other tab, SIN-PER (for example)...fill in the dates and click "ok" for the 1st sector...select the fare you want then wait....go to the second tab, and again find the fare for the 2nd sector.

Now here is the tricky part, click "ok" for the 1st tab and wait, until the part where you are suppose to key-in the pax details. Go to the second tab and do the same...somehow the 2nd tab (SIN-PER) will dispaly you earlier KCH-SIN sector, all in 1 go...then you can close the 1st tab....and enter details in the 2nd tab alone....

Give it a try and maybe you get it, you can simplify my explaination...hahaha.....

BTW, thanks for the response...if 3K and JQ allow my luggage to check all the way through, then it makes my travel somewhat easier....

ANyone out there care to find me a cheaper flight from KCH-MEL???

I've tried KCH-KUL (AK) then KUL-MEL (D7)

I've also tried KCH-SIN (3K) the SIN-MEL (QF)...

Any other suggestions???

The only one-stop flights possible are D7 or MH via KUL and SQ or QF via SIN.

If AK had not canceled its KCH-BKK or KCH-DPS flights, you could have done either:

KCH-BKK AK

BKK-MEL JQ

(this flight is cheaper than D7 if u book at the right time)

-or-

KCH-DPS AK

DPS-MEL JQ/DJ

If you don't mind two stops, you can do the above via KUL or SIN to BKK or DPS. (Like KCH-SIN-BKK-MEL on 3K/JQ, bags checked through possible) Or...

KCH-SIN 3K

SIN-DRW JQ

DRW-MEL JQ

-or-

KCH-SIN 3K

SIN-PER JQ

PER-MEL JQ/TT (bags not checked through for hits sector)

This routing is usually cheaper than the one via DRW, especially if u fly TT on PER-MEL.

-or-

KCH-CGK AK

CGK-PER JQ

PER-MEL TT

Somehow I tried KCH-SIN-PER...it doesn't seemed to work like before....hmmmmm...........

Kenneth, it works perfectly for me. This is indeed the best trick i've seen with Jetstar. It works for me even with the KCH-SIN-PER. You have to make sure the first leg is earlier than the second leg of the trip for both outbound and inbound. I've tried KUL-SIN-DRW-MEL, KCH-SIN-PER, and a few more.

About the luggage connectivity, there is a separate page I just found in Jetstar.com

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/travel-info/a...onnections.aspx

For me, the explanation is not straight forward. But, one important thing is, as mentioned by rayneo, the ticket must be under one booking reference number.

Ps: doing KCH-SIN-DRW-MEL must be one trying trip!

Kenneth, it works perfectly for me. This is indeed the best trick i've seen with Jetstar. It works for me even with the KCH-SIN-PER. You have to make sure the first leg is earlier than the second leg of the trip for both outbound and inbound. I've tried KUL-SIN-DRW-MEL, KCH-SIN-PER, and a few more.

About the luggage connectivity, there is a separate page I just found in Jetstar.com

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/travel-info/a...onnections.aspx

For me, the explanation is not straight forward. But, one important thing is, as mentioned by rayneo, the ticket must be under one booking reference number.

Ps: doing KCH-SIN-DRW-MEL must be one trying trip!

You manage to get it right?? :clapping:

Somehow this is fun! Hahaha...will try other routes just for fun...how I wish AK/D7could do something thing like this....this is called "customer centered", and it's something AK/D7 should consider...

Thanks again guys! :drinks:

The only one-stop flights possible are D7 or MH via KUL and SQ or QF via SIN.

If AK had not canceled its KCH-BKK or KCH-DPS flights, you could have done either:

KCH-BKK AK

BKK-MEL JQ

(this flight is cheaper than D7 if u book at the right time)

-or-

KCH-DPS AK

DPS-MEL JQ/DJ

If you don't mind two stops, you can do the above via KUL or SIN to BKK or DPS. (Like KCH-SIN-BKK-MEL on 3K/JQ, bags checked through possible) Or...

KCH-SIN 3K

SIN-DRW JQ

DRW-MEL JQ

-or-

KCH-SIN 3K

SIN-PER JQ

PER-MEL JQ/TT (bags not checked through for hits sector)

This routing is usually cheaper than the one via DRW, especially if u fly TT on PER-MEL.

-or-

KCH-CGK AK

CGK-PER JQ

PER-MEL TT

Hmm...so many transits...tired la...i think i will opt KCH-SIN-MEL on 3K/TR/AK then SIN-MEL on QF....

BKI had BKK direct, but never KCH. I really wish MH never axed the KCH-PER, it would make my life a whole lot easier!!!

Now that BI flies only twice a week, connecting on BI to and fro means I have to spend nights in BWN!! Argh!!

KCH has got REALLY LOUSY CONNECTIONS!!!!!!

BTW, thnaks again reyneo...let me know if you ever come to KCH....

Reyneo, I work for Skystar (a contractor to Jetstar) and irrespective of what the website says, for the time being atleast (while some problems are sorted) your bags will not be checked the whole way through to your final destination. You must collect your bag in Singapore and re-check it in.

Reyneo, I work for Skystar (a contractor to Jetstar) and irrespective of what the website says, for the time being atleast (while some problems are sorted) your bags will not be checked the whole way through to your final destination. You must collect your bag in Singapore and re-check it in.

Really? Oh no...then i should ensure there is enough connecting time between my KCH-SIN and my SIN-MEL flight. Thanks for the info...

Interesting thread Kenneth! I didn't even know that BI has changed their timings for BWN-KCH, again! Bad for Australia bound passengers, but good for those going to DXB/LHR.

Apart from the airlines and routings you mentioned, SQ is also having some good offers ex-KUL or PEN. Return KUL-MEL is about RM2025 a.i. However its only good for departure until end May, and you must travel in pairs. Also it can be tiring since you have to transit in both KUL and SIN.

Really? Oh no...then i should ensure there is enough connecting time between my KCH-SIN and my SIN-MEL flight. Thanks for the info...
Providing you have booked it all on the one ticket, you will recieve all your boarding passes required to reach your final destination, its simply a matter of clearing customs (which we all know in Singapore is extremely quick), collect your bag and drop it off at the check in counter. Its a bit of a hassle, but Jetstar is working on it!

Interesting thread Kenneth! I didn't even know that BI has changed their timings for BWN-KCH, again! Bad for Australia bound passengers, but good for those going to DXB/LHR.

Apart from the airlines and routings you mentioned, SQ is also having some good offers ex-KUL or PEN. Return KUL-MEL is about RM2025 a.i. However its only good for departure until end May, and you must travel in pairs. Also it can be tiring since you have to transit in both KUL and SIN.

Indeed! Im trying to find the best connection as well as the best price. My (not so) little bro is going to Swinburne to continue his studies...he had initially opted for UWA because it is nearer and cheaper but UWA will not accept some of his credits, thus he is better off in Swinburne, Melbourne.

^^ when does your brother need to fly? And if you need an open ticket (like one year return), you'll probably have to pay full Y fares to fly on SQ/QF/MH since promo fares are usually 30 days return max, 3 days min or something like that. Thanks to the advent of LCCs and one-way fares, AK n JQ are your only cheap options online for trips like these. You might want to try booking with a student travel agent, they offer good fares with full service carriers and 6 months to 1 year return tickets, if the person flying is a registered student.

But if you're (or someone else) going with him for a short reki trip, then you can try looking at SQ's website for a KCH-SIN-MEL flight, SQ n MI usually offer really good prices if you have to connect... (or rather as long as you're not flying ex-SIN)

Providing you have booked it all on the one ticket, you will recieve all your boarding passes required to reach your final destination, its simply a matter of clearing customs (which we all know in Singapore is extremely quick), collect your bag and drop it off at the check in counter. Its a bit of a hassle, but Jetstar is working on it!

Was wondering, are you a contractor to Jetstar/Qantas or Jetstar Asia/Valuair? Could you tell us more about Skystar and what you do for Jetstar? (Any inside news/info? :p)

Anyway, I thought it shouldn't matter, 3K's ground handler is SATS and should be able to check you through since your bags run through the main baggage system at Changi and a check-in agent should be able to tag your bags through to your final destination as long as the airline verifies that you have a seat for the 2nd sectors. This is unlike the BT or LCCT, where your bags are simply stored behind the counter and loaded onto the plane directly, (which is why AK and TR cannot provide this). At Changi's T1/2/3, your bags run through the system and it wouldn't cost any more or less to tags bags through on interline flights, much less on the same airline with the same booking code.

Besides, a couple of months back, the four airlines announced interline agreements, featuring connecting flights between the 4 airlines with baggage check through, no?

Azri, the page you found on the Australian page was abit vague, heres the one from the Singapore page, which specifically shows which flights have baggage checked through and which dont. http://www.jetstar.com/sg/en/popup/flight-connections.aspx

Oh and Kenneth, I never knew about this 'cheat', but even without this, you can book selected connecting flights from the system already, like HKG-CGK, HKG-PER, TPE-PER, etc, all from the drop down menu... I guess this does help people book non-selected connecting flights as connecting ones. Great find!

Edited by reyneo

Btw, Kenneth, have you tried MH? As reyneo mentioned, most deals from legacy airlines have restrictions such as 30 days max stay... but MH is an exception, they do deals for one way flights too. I did a quick search, return KUL-MEL (for end May/early June - I don't know your dates) is just under RM1.6k. KUL-MEL one way is bookable too, for just under RM800 a.i.

Problem with MH is their website isn't as user friendly as the others. There is no flexible date search so finding a cheap fare requires a lot of patience...

MH_MEL2.jpg

Was wondering, are you a contractor to Jetstar/Qantas or Jetstar Asia/Valuair? Could you tell us more about Skystar and what you do for Jetstar? (Any inside news/info? )

Anyway, I thought it shouldn't matter, 3K's ground handler is SATS and should be able to check you through since your bags run through the main baggage system at Changi and a check-in agent should be able to tag your bags through to your final destination as long as the airline verifies that you have a seat for the 2nd sectors. This is unlike the BT or LCCT, where your bags are simply stored behind the counter and loaded onto the plane directly, (which is why AK and TR cannot provide this). At Changi's T1/2/3, your bags run through the system and it wouldn't cost any more or less to tags bags through on interline flights, much less on the same airline with the same booking code.

Besides, a couple of months back, the four airlines announced interline agreements, featuring connecting flights between the 4 airlines with baggage check through, no?

Can't give away too much...hahaha. Like I said there is still a whole bunch of issues, from the baggage system (not all ports use thermal tags, and no bags are put into a world tracking database - the use of the barcode on your bag tag) to how they will be loaded on the flights as the A320's are all containerised and you can't just load a plane how you want of course!

I stay well away from the behind the scenes logistics, just make sure the silver (sometimes grey) plane comes in and goes on time safely

Oh and Kenneth, I never knew about this 'cheat', but even without this, you can book selected connecting flights from the system already, like HKG-CGK, HKG-PER, TPE-PER, etc, all from the drop down menu... I guess this does help people book non-selected connecting flights as connecting ones. Great find!

I knew you could do such bookings for certain cities...i.e KUL-SIN-PER, but when ever you select KCH, only SIN is available....good to know they can combine your booking as it helps you to "see" better when you book. Did a KCH-KUL-TGG on AK once and my KUL-TGG I selected flew earlier, good thing I spotted it then and I quickly change it before I confirmed my bookings. Phew...drama adverted...hahaha!

Btw, Kenneth, have you tried MH? As reyneo mentioned, most deals from legacy airlines have restrictions such as 30 days max stay... but MH is an exception, they do deals for one way flights too. I did a quick search, return KUL-MEL (for end May/early June - I don't know your dates) is just under RM1.6k. KUL-MEL one way is bookable too, for just under RM800 a.i.

Problem with MH is their website isn't as user friendly as the others. There is no flexible date search so finding a cheap fare requires a lot of patience...

MH_MEL2.jpg

Thank you for going thru all the trouble...we will depart around 13-15 of July. I will do a return (19/7) while his tic will be one-way. I wonder if EK SIN-MEL is cheaper??

Somehow I can never get cheap tickets on EK...are there better deals online or via call centre/travel agent?

Booking tic is no easy job...I'm getting a little sick... :bad:

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Thank you for going thru all the trouble...we will depart around 13-15 of July. I will do a return (19/7) while his tic will be one-way. I wonder if EK SIN-MEL is cheaper??

Somehow I can never get cheap tickets on EK...are there better deals online or via call centre/travel agent?

Hi Kenneth, IIRC EK uses the older version of 773 on the SIN-MEL run, so the likelihood of you getting new generation of entertainment system (ICE) is very low. Also all EK's 777s have 10 abreast seating in Y, on a full plane it can be extremely uncomfortable even for a medium built person. They are not the best choice for SIN-MEL route, in terms of both comfort and price...

...we will depart around 13-15 of July. I will do a return (19/7) while his tic will be one-way.

Hmm, MH doesn't have cheap fares in July! <_ looks like qf is your best bet. sin-mel return s a.i. however you must choose an indirect flight for the outbound sector to get this fare sin-adl-mel>

SIN-MEL one way starts from S$639 (nonstop), the SIN-ADL-MEL one is slightly more expensive at S$655 (RM1,575). That's about RM400 more than AKX's KUL-MEL. But QF is not a LCC so you get the extras such as better legroom + shoulder room, meals, drinks, IFE, miles and 23kg baggage allowance.

Alternatively you can book your brother a return ticket. The return sector is bookable until Feb 2010 (come home for CNY? :p ). The problem is you must choose a date for the return flight - they won't let you leave it open. Also bear in mind that you can only change the date once at S$75.

For KCH-SIN-KCH try to book the MH flight. They still have promo fare - RM110 a.i. one way or RM220 return. Unbelievably good value :good:

Good luck!

Edited by H C Chai

Also Kenneth, if you want something more interesting for your return journey, take the flight with a transit in SYD and fly QF31 (operated by A380) to SIN. On certain days it costs only A$14 more compare to a direct MEL-SIN flight. Of course that is when time is of no essence. Qantas A380 has self service snack bar in Y...

Also Kenneth, if you want something more interesting for your return journey, take the flight with a transit in SYD and fly QF31 (operated by A380) to SIN. On certain days it costs only A$14 more compare to a direct MEL-SIN flight. Of course that is when time is of no essence. Qantas A380 has self service snack bar in Y...

Hahaha...i can see horns growing on my head!!

Sign in to follow this